Section Seven

Cybernetic Chaos

 

When Kyungsoo was small, he was often afraid that he would get hurt. This is because Kyungsoo isn’t any normal human being. In fact, he and his brother, Seungsoo, were both children borne under the sinister Project Fate; combat cyborgs genetically modified using the actual DNA of strong mages with genetic codes of great magical potential intended to be weaponized by an illegal organization.

 

From young, Kyungsoo could occasionally hear the gears under his skin whir, and he could also feel his inner wires tingle whenever he walked too close to machines that have strong magnetic fields. And so, he was always afraid that he would break something, often crying loudly when he falls, thinking that he broke off some irreplaceable parts.

 

Each time, his mother would be there to pick him up. Telling him that it is okay. That he is strong, because after all, he was made from her DNA, and she was a strong woman after all.

 

---

 

Just a year ago, Recruit Do Kyungsoo enlisted into the Time-Space Administration Bureau (TSAB), where he signed on in order to apprehend magic outlaws in space.

 

The sole reason as to why Kyungsoo decided to join the TSAB was in hopes to investigate the cold case where his mother mysteriously went off the grid.

 

His mother was a B-rank Ground Mage that went missing with her detail consisting of another B-rank Support Mage, as well as a S-rank Commander. Kyungsoo’s father and older brother, who were both bureau mages at the time when she went missing, followed up on the case which ended up in a cold lead. And thus, they ended up closing the case.

 

The year when she went missing, Kyungsoo was only 8 years old.

 

When Kyungsoo turned 18, he told his plans of enlistment to his now-retired father. His father’s response was, “I was hoping that you remain as a civilian. Or even as just a bureau clerk like your brother. Being a ground mage is too dangerous… Your mother, she must have saw something she shouldn’t, or heard something not meant for her to hear, and so… I mean… even you were born from her DNA that was illegally and unknowingly obtained from unknown sources… There is just too much that we don’t know out there, and I don’t want to lose you too…”

 

But even so, Kyungsoo was determined. And he knew that as long as he set his mind to it, there is nothing that could stop him.

 

---

 

Training was tough. Getting hit was painful. But Kyungsoo grit his teeth and worked hard because he wants to become an enforcer or investigator so that he could get to the bottom of his mother’s disappearance, or to at least find the truth about what happened.

 

He knows that he will get stronger each time he got kicked down by his trainer. He knows that he will get better at controlling his magic each time he got shot down by the instructor. And he wants to get better because if he is not good enough, he will get himself killed while deployed. And if he dies, he will not be able to protect what he loves.

 

---

 

After 4 months of the initial phase of training, Kyungsoo was promoted to Private, and he was upgraded to a C+ rank Mage. At that time, he could choose to work in the Land and Air Authorities, or to go under a special newly formed unit called the Section Seven. Most of his peers ended up in the LAA as they are not interested in joining the special forces, but weighing his plans, Kyungsoo decided to go for the entrance exam for Section Seven.

 

He has heard of rumors about Section Seven. The new unit was made up of the Ace of Aces. The commander being a Double S-Rank Mage with mysterious background and special Belkan magic. In the sector, they were having Double A-Rank Mages as the Platoon Commanders. This actually made Section Seven really hard to get into, and only two out of two thousand five hundred people get chosen to even go for the entrance exam, resulting in most not even wanting to try and apply.

 

When Kyungsoo got his approval letter to take the exam, he was elated.

 

---

 

On the day of the exam, Kyungsoo was polishing his revolver knuckle as he got warmed up. Another person was supposed to take this exam together with him, and they were supposed to pair up and exhibit team work to navigate through an artificial training ground filled with traps and objectives to take down within a given time. If they passed, they would then form a detail with one of the commanders in Section Seven.

 

“Ah, today’s weather is perfect for picnic, isn’t it?”

 

Kyungsoo turned to the voice and he saw another boy that looked to be around his age walking towards him. The other guy smiled at Kyungsoo, while Kyungsoo stood up straight and saluted.

 

“Private Do Kyungsoo,” Kyungsoo said. The other guy chuckled.

 

“Boy, aren’t you being too serious here,” he extended his hand, and Kyungsoo took it in a firm handshake. “Private Byun Baekhyun, aspiring enforcer. Nice to meet you.”

 

---

 

“Aren’t they getting cozy,” a lady in black said as she looked at the surveillance screen showing Kyungsoo and Baekhyun introducing themselves to each other. “Are you certain that these two have the potential?”

 

The lady sitting next to her in white replied, “Private Do Kyungsoo is the son of Admiral Do who retired a few years back. His mother was Staff Sergeant Do who went missing while investigating the combat cyborg incident.”

 

She flipped her file to show another guy. “Private Byun Baekhyun, the younger brother of Enforcer Byun Baekbom who died during his mission 8 years ago resulting in a dishonorable military discharge. I mean, it is indeed an interesting combination with have here. But it was stated here that both of them did exceptionally well in the Academy, and they were both the top of their platoons.”

 

“Well, it could still be fun,” the lady in black replied.

 

“Of course.”

 

---

 

“We have to know the skillset that we each possess so that we can work together well. Are you melee or ranged?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Melee,” Kyungsoo replied while raising up his revolver knuckle. “I specialize in Vibration Shatter, well, basically I bust through things and shatter things with my punches. But if needed, I do have buster magic that can go mid-range.”

 

Baekhyun smiled. “Well, it seems like we can be a good team then. No wonder they paired us together.” He took out a pair of dual guns from his back sling. “My specialty is ranged phantom bullets, long range busters, magical breaker, and illusionary magic. Melee is not really my forte, though I did think of training in melee combat as I want to become an enforcer after all. Maybe we can exchange notes sometime.” Baekhyun grinned, causing Kyungsoo to look away shyly.

 

Suddenly, the pair was cut off abruptly as a hologram came projecting into the space in front of them. A lady with rosy cheeks came flashing into the screen.

 

“Good morning examinees, this is 3rdWarrant Officer Yeri speaking. And I would like to do some confirmation before we begin. Today, taking the entrance exam in order to post into Section Seven Special Unit, we have Private Do Kyungsoo and Private Byun Baekhyun, roger?” Yeri said, all too cheerfully.

 

“Yes Mam!” both Privates saluted. 3WO Yeri returned the salutation.

 

“I understand that you should have already read up on it, but as part of our protocols, it is my duty to inform you about your mission for today,” Yeri squeaked from the hologram.

 

Then, two other images flashed up. “Here, there are two types of drones. These drones are designed by our combat training team to simulate what is out there that the enemy uses. They usually come with an anti-magic field that causes long range attacks to be nullified. In today’s mission, you have the red drones that are objectives that you have to destroy, and green drones are used to simulate civilians. If you accidentally hit any green drones, you are automatically disqualified. There is a total of 8 groups of enemy drones that you have to destroy, and after that comes the final test.”

 

Another image flashed up showing a gigantic drone that is about 10 feet tall. “This is the motherboard drone. This should be your final objective. After destroying it, head to the finish line, and if you make it in time, you pass. Are there any questions?”

 

“No Mam!”

 

Yeri smiled, “Good. And your 1 hour starts now!”

 

---

 

Destroying the drones are easy for Kyungsoo. Smashing and destroying is his thing. As he cleared the first wave and the dust settled, he turned back to Baekhyun who is busy scouting the next wave with his long-range magic at an elevated platform.

 

“4 o’clock,” Baekhyun said. He aimed at the drones as he released a barrage of phantom bullets at the drones about 150 yards away. The bullets seemed to hit, but the drones were unharmed. That is when Kyungsoo noticed the slight distortion in the air surrounding the drone as Baekhyun’s magical bullets fizzled off to nothing.

 

“These anti-magic fields are really a ,” Baekhyun whistled.

 

“It is,” Kyungsoo replied. “What is your game plan?”

 

Since Baekhyun’s bullets gave away their location, Kyungsoo could hear the gadgets dashing towards their location. And the ones that Baekhyun just hit (and missed) are not the only ones that were rushing towards them.

 

He made a mental note, counting the number of gadgets droning in on them. There were about 4 groups, meaning 32 of them. If they take out this group, they would have effectively cleared 5. But they are outnumbered, and also the finishing line is still about 3 kilometers away. If all 32 were to corner them, their AMFs would drain the two of them, effectively shutting down any form of magic from the two of them.

 

“Let’s hide first. Then, I’ll distract them. You destroy them,” Baekhyun said calmly, aiming his gun towards the wall of another building. He made a shot, and a rope extended from his gun and clung onto the wall. Baekhyun then flicked another switch causing the rope to retract, lifting Baekhyun into the air and into an elevated room in the building.

 

Kyungsoo on the other hand, ducked into the empty space of another building opposite from the one Baekhyun is in. From his vantage point, Kyungsoo could see the other guy keeping one of his guns, and his eyes shut in concentration as an orange magic circle opened beneath his feet.

 

From thin air, an illusion of Baekhyun and Kyungsoo appeared. “Fake Silhouette.” Kyungsoo thought. It was a form of illusionary magic that takes a lot of concentration and energy from the caster. It would take Baekhyun a lot of energy to hold it up. Meaning Kyungsoo would have to clear this wave quickly before Baekhyun is drained.

 

The drones spotted the illusions and fired at them. At the same time, Kyungsoo could see himself turning invisible as Baekhyun’s magic cloaked him. “Cool! I am invisible.” He thought as he ambushed the first two waves of gadgets, smashing one after another in chained successions. But after he destroyed the two waves, the next two came. By then, Kyungsoo was fully visible as the invisibility magic wore off.

 

Just as Kyungsoo reared back to prepare for another attack, a barrage of bullets rained down from above, effectively destroying the other two waves. When the dust settled, Baekhyun leaped down from where he was at and joined Kyungsoo.

 

“Not bad,” Kyungsoo commented.

 

“Seems like we can be a good team after all,” Baekhyun smiled.

 

---

 

Back in the helicopter that was observing the test rolling out, Yeri squealed excitedly.

 

“It seems that they are doing well so far!” Yeri said. “I knew that Commander Irene have a good eye.”

 

“Baekhyun used illusionary magic to lure the drones in,” Irene placed a knowing finger on her chin while being in awe. “This is to shorten the distance between him and the drones, so that his bullet could hit the drones in a sharper way and pierce through them.”

 

“Not to forget, he charged that barrage with an additional shield around his bullets, so that after the AMF devour the shield, his bullets could still strike the gadgets. So talented!” Yeri exclaimed.

 

“That is a Double A-Rank technique,” another voice said.

 

“Really?! Wow! Captain Junmyeon, seems like your detail will be filled with potential of excelling!” Yeri said.

 

“Yeah,” Junmyeon replied. “Baekhyun is indeed talented like his brother.”

 

---

 

Back on the training ground, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun decided to split up. Kyungsoo will scout the remaining 5 groups of drones, while Baekhyun hunt for the final test drone.

 

“Please take care, and let’s keep each other updated on our comms,” Kyungsoo said.

 

“Oh honey don’t worry,” Baekhyun grinned as he swung off to another direction on his gun-rope. “I’m not made of sugar.” Kyungsoo heard the remaining words from Baekhyun via his communication device. He shook his head, then he ran down the road.

 

The 5 groups are separated with about five hundred meters between them. It took Kyungsoo a total of 20 minutes to dispatch each of them with ease. In between punches, Kyungsoo was glad that his strike arts instructor back at the Academy did not go easy on him, because otherwise, his stamina would have depleted by then.

 

Just as Kyungsoo reached the last group of gadgets, a voice spoke over the comms, “I’ve got my eyes on the prize.

 

---

 

“Oh ho,” Junmyeon said. “Is he going to take on the final test alone?”

 

Yeri glanced at the screen. She could see that Baekhyun was hiding behind a wall in the building where the final test was located as he considered his options. “I doubt so.” She said. “The AMF of this one is too strong. There is no way that his bullets can pierce through it.”

 

“Unless he unleashes a breaker,” Irene commented. “Though a breaker is considered to be S-rank magic, it was written in his records that he managed to pull off one in the past, though the aftershock got him a light duty for a month. But looking at his current state, with all the illusionary magic that he has used up till now, I don’t think that he would risk it for a breaker.”

 

---

 

“Location,” Kyungsoo said into his comms, but there was silence. He punched the last gadget, and as it exploded, Kyungsoo scanned his surroundings once more. “Private Byun Baekhyun, please provide me with your coordinates-”

 

Over the communication device, Kyungsoo heard the whizzing sound of bullets, and then a crash, and a grunt. Then, it sounded like Baekhyun dropped to the ground and rolled over, while the sound of energy beams ricocheting off the walls were heard.

 

“Baekhyun, what is going on?” Kyungsoo asked urgently. Then, a small screen appeared on the hologram connected to Kyungsoo’s device, giving the location to where Baekhyun is at. Kyungsoo did a mental sum as he ran towards the direction. It is about 300 meters to the West of the arena from where Kyungsoo was, and it was a kilometer away from the finishing line. Kyungsoo looked at the stopwatch, and it said that they have 12 minutes and 48 seconds left.

 

“I am hurt.”

 

Kyungsoo’s heart stopped.

 

“I am coming for you Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo replied as he dashed towards the other boy’s direction.

 

---

 

“A pinch. Here is where the real thing begins,” Junmyeon said.

 

“Still confident?” Yeri asked.

 

“Absolutely.”

 

---

 

Baekhyun grunted as he tried to stand up. But his strained ankle prevented him from moving too much. He should have waited for Kyungsoo to come, but he didn’t. And cursed bullets; they did no  to the drone at all.

 

The drone stood 10 feet tall, and it towered over Baekhyun easily. He could see the drone trying to scout his location. He bit his lips as he concentrated his remainder magic into illusions. Ten other Baekhyuns appeared out of thin air and dashed around the room. The drone shot randomly at the illusions.

 

Kyungsoo… hurry…” Baekhyun thought as he strained his magic to conjure up more illusions.

 

Then, the wall to his right exploded and Kyungsoo dashed in. Kyungsoo looked visibly confused as ten other Baekhyuns were running around the room with a gadget drone shooting randomly at them. If this was under different circumstances, they would both probably have a good laugh at the scene before them.

 

“Kyungsoo, here!” Baekhyun shouted. Kyungsoo saw him, and ran towards him.

 

“What happened?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“The drone is too smart,” Baekhyun said. “I tried to fire a bullet at it, and it shot at my feet knowing that ranged mages need to stand their ground properly in order to shoot well. And now, I sprained my ankle while trying to dodge. And…”

 

“It’s okay, I am here now,” Kyungsoo said. He looked at the drone. That massive metallic monster looked scary close-up. “What should we do?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

Baekhyun looked at the stop watch. It says 10 minutes and 37 seconds. He turned back to Kyungsoo. “We only have one shot at this.”

 

Kyungsoo’s eye met his. He nodded.

 

“I will tear away his AMF, and you fire a buster shot. Will you be able to do it?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“After you. Just remember to dodge.” Baekhyun replied.

 

“Let’s go.” Kyungsoo grinned.

 

The gadget drone was still firing randomly at the images, and suddenly, the illusions dropped all at once. Kyungsoo dashed towards the drone. His revolver knuckle was spinning, generating energy. Then, his fist connected with the drone’s shield. The AMF was hard, but Kyungsoo managed to reach the insides of the field, and he pulled hard. At once, the shield disintegrated.

 

The gadget drone tried to fend itself by releasing multiple shots at Kyungso, but Kyungsoo jumped away from the bullets.

 

“Baekhyun! Now!” Kyungsoo shouted.

 

Baekhyun stepped out from behind the wall with a dangerous ball of orange energy charged right in front of him as his magic circle sparkled with energy. He took an aim at the now-deshielded drone. “Divine Buster!” Baekhyun shouted as he released a beam of buster blast at the drone.

 

The blast went straight through the gadget, and it exploded.

 

“We did it!” Kyungsoo exclaimed as he ran back towards Baekhyun. Baekhyun gave a tired smile. They looked at the stop watch, and it says 5 minutes and 13 seconds.

 

“We are never going to make it,” Baekhyun said sadly. But suddenly, the other boy squatted down before him.

 

“I will piggy back you! Come on!” Kyungsoo said.

 

---

 

At the finishing line, the commanders and instructors waited as the two trainees came running towards them. By the time the timer reached 4 seconds, the two of them touched down, making them the upcoming enlistees of Section Seven.

 

---

 

 

 

 

A Cup of Sunshine

This was supposed to be a oneshot...

I guess life always turns out how it wasn't supposed to be :)