Chapter 2 - A Classic Turn of Vents

The Last Stand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the first time in her life, Sooyoung doesn’t know what to do. And that’s saying a lot since she’s a Captain of one of South Korea’s greatest Land Military troops and has been in different battles, both national and international. But then again, so does Captain Kim of another troop in the Land Military and Captain Kim of a troop in the Air Force, and yet both are also clueless of what to do.

“What the is going on here?” Yoona asked, looking at her best friends, wanting an explanation. “Is this some prank?”

“No!” Yuri frustratedly answered, her hands rubbing her nape, “I’m telling you, Yoong, this is not some kind of a joke. You can ask all these people”

“That’s right, we are not pranking you” Sunny supported Yuri. She stepped forward, offering a hand to shake “I am Att-”

“Attorney Lee Sunkyu? Alumni of SNU, right?” Seohyun asked, taking the hand.

Sunny looked confusedly at Seohyun, “Yes, how di-”

“I’m also an Alumni at SNU, a year below you. I’ve known you since I watched your Inter-School Debate against PNU Law School five years ago” Seohyun confessed, her cheeks turning a bit pink sounding like a fan.

Taeyeon suddenly stepped forward, “Hyo, isn’t she the daughter of Aunt Hyuna?”

“Yeah.” Hyoyeon answered with a snap of her fingers, looking at Seohyun closely, “Our Dads are your Mom’s second cousin, making us……. Um…. what again Taeng?”

Taeyeon slowly shook her head, scratching her head to remember, “Third cousin?”

“That is cute! It’s wonderful, believe me!” Sooyoung cut them off, sarcasm dripping on her every word followed by a roll of her eyes, “But can we please, PLEASE! NOT DO THIS WHILE WE ARE TRAPPED IN THIS BOX, SURROUNDED BY CANNIBALISTIC FREAKS!”

‘SMASH’

‘SMASH’

All heads turned to the blocked door. The couch and shelf used to block it didn’t budge, but it doesn’t mean the sounds of breaking in from the other side wasn’t audible inside the room.

“Captain Choi, calm down! No need to raise your voice” Hyoyeon said, patting Sooyoung on her shoulder before walking towards the door to check if the zombies are succeeding to break in.

Sooyoung looked at Hyoyeon in disbelief, “Calm down? Do you have any idea what situation we are in?”

“I do, but it's no time to panic,” Hyoyeon answered, looking intensely at Sooyoung after making sure that there’s no dent or anything.

“I am not panicking, I’m simply saying that we have a much more important matter to talk about” Sooyoung rebutted, glaring at Hyoyeon, and is about to walk towards the latter, when Taeyeon and Yuri stepped forward to get in the middle of the two.

Yuri held Sooyoung by the arm, “Stop it. She is right, you didn’t have to raise your voice. I am sorry for my friend”

Hyoyeon is about to smirk at Sooyoung’s direction when Taeyeon spun her around and held her by her shoulders, “And we should have been more sensitive with the situation. We apologise too”

“Now that you children have made up,” Tiffany said, making everyone look at her, “Can we please discuss the real matters at hand?”

“Fine” Everyone simultaneously answered.

“So….. what are we going to do?” A Cafe worker with a name tag that reads ‘Kim Jinri’ asked. 

“The way I see it, we need to fight them. We are safe now, but for how long?” Yoona said, walking towards her table, everyone watching her. 

Tiffany shook her head. Her eyes never leave Yoona who is looking for something in her drawer. “Are you crazy? Fight them? With what?”

“With this!” Yoona answered, raising a pistol.

Hyoyeon walked towards Yoona, “May I see?”

Yoona nodded and handed Hyoyeon the gun, who then examined it, “Hmm. Not bad. Glock 19, 15 capacity. Do you have more?”

“No” Yoona shook her head then rummaged some more before taking out a box of bullets and another magazine. “But I do have an extra magazine and a box of bullets”

“That’s a great help, Yoong” Sooyoung complimented her friend “but it won’t be enough. In order to fight those zombies, we need at least a gun each”

“Sooyoung, don’t you have any guns with you?” Yuri asked.

Sooyoung nodded her head, “I do but it’s in the car.” Then she faced Taeyeon and Hyoyeon, “Captain Kim and Captain Kim, do you guys have one with you?”

“Both are in our car too.” Taeyeon answered.

A woman then stepped forward, “You guys have guns with you?”

“The three of us are soldiers. Unfortunately, we have to leave our guns in our cars because it’s not allowed in public and private places” Hyoyeon explained.

Yuri shook her head, “It’ll be impossible to get those guns, leaving us with only Yoona’s gun”

“Maybe we don’t fight those zombies. What if we call for help?” Seohyun suggested.

Sunny shook her head, “Phones aren’t working. We tried a while ago but there’s no signal or anything. Plus, I think people would be too busy saving themselves before they could save us”

A man then stepped forward, “We could wait for help then”

“We could do that, but I think it would take days or even weeks. And who knows what’s happened to us by that time” Jessica answered.

“Yeah, but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. Maybe the government has already sent their armies to save us.” Nicole answered.

Yuri shook her head, “That will take weeks. What we need is to know what we should do now”

“Yeah, like a precaution in case something happens” Tiffany agreed.

Taeyeon stepped forward, “Well when worst comes to worst, we have no choice but to fight them with everything we have in any way we can. But first things first, how many are we? We need a headcount. 1”

“2” Hyoyeon.

“3” Sunny.

“4” Jessica.

“5” Nicole, the waitress from before.

“6” Jinri, another waitress.

“7” Seohyun.

“8” Yoona.

“9” Kim Donghyun, a customer.

“10” Shin Sook, a customer.

“11” Sooyoung.

“12” Yuri.

“13” Tiffany.

“14” Oh Jaebum, a customer.

“14 then. Now we need to pool in all our things, food, phones, everything so we know what we have and what we could do” Taeyeon instructed. “Form a circle everyone and take a seat, this is going to be a long day”

===T=H=E===L=A=S=T===S=T=A=N=D===

“Hey, Lee Sunny, right?” 

Sunny looked up and saw a tall girl standing in front of her. She knows her, she’s a colleague of Hyoyeon and Taeyeon, another soldier. Sunny gave her a timid nod.

“I’m Choi Sooyoung. May I?” Sooyoung asked, gesturing at the empty space on the floor beside Sunny. Sunny is seated on the floor, her legs tucked in her arms. She nods again and pats the space beside her. “You okay?”

Sunny sighed, shaking her head before resting it on her legs, “I don’t know.”

“You can talk to me,” Sooyoung said, nudging Sunny and giving her a soft smile. “I know, I’m a stranger, and you have your friends within the room, but I’m here”

“Thank you” Sunny answered, smiling back and even showing her eye-smile. But then her smile faltered, because w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter