Chapter 1 - The Special, Eventful Day Off

The Last Stand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Great, just great.” Jung Sooyeon or Jessica, as she prefers to be called with, let out a tired sigh under her breath. She has a total of 14 days off every year and when she decides to spend it, her ex-girlfriend shows up. And talk about coincidence coming to Jeju-do, which is far away from where she lives and where her ex-girlfriend lives, on the same day. 

When her ex, Kim Taeyeon finally parked her car, Jessica turned to her cup of hot coffee while side-eyeing her ex, who was getting out of the car. Good thing she’s seated by the window, so she could monitor her moves. It’s not like she’s stalking, she’s just making sure that her ex is not going to the same cafe she’s in. Which is highly impossible since she’s Jung Jessica and luck isn’t really a good mix.

Looking closely, Jessica saw two people getting out of the car too, Lee Sunkyu or Sunny - Taeyeon’s best friend and of course, Kim Hyoyeon - Taeyeon’s cousin and Jessica’s best friend, who she is meeting by the way. Jessica should have known better, because Hyoyeon always, ALWAYS, has something up her sleeves. 

Jessica could feel the raging fire of anger burn in her stomach. Not towards Taeyeon. No, it’s towards Hyoyeon. She and Taeyeon broke up for almost a year now and the break up is a mutual decision. But it doesn’t mean there’s no awkwardness between them. And Hyoyeon knows that!

So the moment the trio enters the cafe, she is met with Sunny’s friendly smile, Taeyeon’s awkward and forced one, and Hyoyeon’s mischievous one. 

“Hey, Jess! I missed you!” Sunny cheerfully greeted, showing her eye-smile which was then followed by a tight hug. “Hope you don’t mind us joining, but when Hyoyeon said she’s spending the weekend at Jeju, we decided to do the same”

“No, of course not! It’s a free country.” Jessica answered as they all took their seats. With Taeyeon across her, also the window seat, Sunny beside her and Hyoyeon across Sunny and beside Taeyeon.

Silent. They are just staring at her.

Well, how can they not be silent? There's a raging war between the USA and Russia, with other countries getting involved plus the fact that there’s also this virus that started in China. The two people in front of her are Soldiers who are in the front row for the upcoming war if ever South Korea gets involved. So, it’s a free country. For now.

Jessica awkwardly cleared , smiling at Sunny, “And I missed you too!” 

Silent.

“Told you she still has the Sica effect!” Hyoyeon whispered, loudly.

Jessica glared at her, “Yah! I heard that!”

“You were supposed to!” Hyoyeon answered back, childishly showing her tongue to Jessica. “Merong”

Jessica is about to hit Hyoyeon when a waitress comes to their table.

“Can I take your orders?” The waitress asked, a small notebook and pen in hand.

Jessica put her hand down, eyes still glaring at Hyoyeon, who suddenly straightened up in her seat “You’re lucky she saved your !”

Hyoyeon smiled widely at Jessica, infuriating the latter even more, “I know.” Hyoyeon then faced the waitress, giving her a charming, flirting smile followed by a wink, “Thank you, Ms…?”

“Nicole” The Waitress, Nicole answered. “May I take your orders?”

Before anyone can answer, Hyoyeon stood up, still looking at Nicole but this time she clasp their hands together, “Of course, I’ll be having your number with your full na-”

“Ice Cappuccino!” Jessica interrupted Hyoyeon, even taking Hyoyeon’s hands from the waitress’ “My friend, will be having an Ice Cappuccino. Venti.”

Hyoyeon glared at Jessica, but Jessica just smirked at her, raising an eyebrow as if asking her ‘What?’

Hyoyeon is about to continue when Sunny beats her to it, “And I’ll be having some Hot Chocolate. Short.”

“Interruptions!” Hyoyeon groaned, dropping back on her chair while furiously rubbing her palm on her face. “Anything else?” Hyoyeon asked as she turned her glare towards Sunny, who just smiled innocently at her. And since nobody said anything, She looked up to the waitress, “I’ll be hav-”

“A slice of your chocolate cake and water for me!” Taeyeon interrupted this time, not even caring about Hyoyeon’s glare and just keeping her gaze towards the menu on the table.

“Okay then!” Nicole said, forcing out a smile before reading the list in her small notebook “One venti Iced Cappuccino, one short Hot Chocolate, a slice of chocolate cake and water. Would that be all?”

“Make those two chocolate cakes and grande strawberry frappe.” 

Everyone turned their heads to the familiar voice.

“TIFFANY!!!!!” Everyone shouted as the owner of the voice just gave them some of her famous eye-smiles. The waitress took this as her cue to leave and silently excused herself. 

“We missed you!” Hyoyeon was the first to stand up, giving Tiffany a hug which was then followed by Sunny then Taeyeon and Jessica. 

Tiffany took a nearby chair and sat at the other edge, between Hyoyeon and Sunny, across the window. “I missed you all too! It’s so hard to plan a get together with all our busy schedules.”

“Tell me about it.” Jessica groans, “I swear, I almost never used my apartment since I’m often sleeping at the hospital.”

“You think that’s bad. Try being assigned overseas. I’m staying 250 days every year outside of South Korea. And you’ll think I get the rest as a day off when I get back? No! I got to spend some days in provinces or at the base, writing some reports on what I did overseas!” Hyoyeon complained while Sunny and Taeyeon nodded their heads in agreement.

Tiffany shook her head, “Well whose choice is that? You two wanted to be a soldier, Sun a lawyer and Jess a Neurosurgeon. You guys chose the hard professions”

“As if you didn’t!” Sunny answered.

“Well at least my work goes from 8 to 5. Unlike you guys.” Tiffany answered back. 

Jessica just rolled her eyes, “Fine, fine you have the best life! Any-”

‘SCREEECH’

‘CRASH’

Jessica, Sunny and Tiffany covered their ear

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter