please, look back and meet my eyes.

out of my league

 

It’s her hair and her eyes today

That just simply take me away

And the feeling that I’m falling further in love

Makes me shiver but in a good way

 

( Song: Out of My League by Stephen Speaks )

 

///

 

Kim Minjoo was just an average third-year student attending Jangmi College, majoring in Journalism in hopes of becoming a journalist like her father. Well, she was fond of writing, sure, but it was also her parents’ choice for her. She didn’t complain much, she wasn’t too certain about her life choices anyway so she took it without thinking twice in order to make her parents happy, and proud too, and so far — she had no problem with it. Minjoo was satisfied, she was excelling, she was enjoying it, she was loving it even though she knew this wasn’t what she really wanted. It was really a good thing that she could see herself being a successful, prolific journalist in the near future.

 

Well, Minjoo liked — no, loved, music. She loved playing instruments, and it was her passion. Writing reports, and stuff was just her hobby that she enjoyed doing whenever she was bored, or not in the mood to touch her guitar or press the keys of her piano. Playing instruments she loved was something else, it never failed to make her happy and proud, whenever she played — it felt like she was in a whole different world where she and music only existed. It was very different.

 

It was something she never got tired of doing at all. She never got stressed whenever she played her instruments, although whenever she couldn’t get the right tune really annoyed her at all times — also pulling off the keys or chords. She was content playing. And she actually wanted to be a professional pianist, or at least, a guitarist. But her parents disliked music, they didn’t see the worth of it if Minjoo ever took that profession but as her hobby? Sure. But never professionally, they always thought that Minjoo wouldn’t go far.

 

Offended and upset, Minjoo understood where it came from — she was the type of person who always tried to understand, even though those words hurt her. Her loving parents were always supportive of her, but they wanted Minjoo to have a secure future. It stung. But still, she went along because she never disobeyed her parents, at least they were happy, and Minjoo was alright with it as long as they were happy.

 

So, it wasn’t surprising that she was inside a circle of friends that all liked music like her. It was really good to have close friends that shared the same interests with her. At least, Minjoo wasn’t feel too left out, and lonely. They all could relate, and agree when it came to music. That was enough for Minjoo. It felt like she was already close enough to her small little desire of being a musician, having close with people who were in a band already comforted her enough.

 

Well, she was friends with some who loved music and liked to play instruments like her but they just saw it as a hobby, some who were majoring in music & arts, and some who were in a band. Mixed. The similarities they all shared was of course, their love for music. Even if they also shared of differentialities, they still bonded together quite well — music just brought them all together, and the rest of their strong friendships became closer because of their own selves.

 

And maybe, just maybe — because of Minjoo’s love, and attraction for music, she also had a thing for musicians. To her, musicians were the most attractive people in the world especially if they were really skilled, and passionate enough like god, Minjoo was weak for them — she used to have a lot of crushes on famous singers back then but now, famous or not, Minjoo had admired them. She would feel attracted to such certain people in a non-romantic way though — she only found them adoring, and cool. Rarely, she would develop feelings. Only once.

 

One must be curious. She only caught romantic feelings for one certain musician in her entire life so far, and she always had thought that this attraction turned into something deeper than that (Minjoo couldn’t really give it a specific term, she was just feeling a lot) — would fade, rather slowly. Because first of all, this person also loved, and equally passionate as Minjoo when it came to music. Already something, eh? Second, this person was really charming as hell. She was a pianist, keyboardist, and a member of a local band — that really made her really charming to Minjoo like… so, so attractive. Then thirdly, this person was such a kind-hearted yet mysterious woman that made Minjoo even more drawn into her. She was kind-hearted at all times, that was why a lot of people, even the teachers were so fond of her. And mysterious… well, she could be a little bit loud, and out-going around her close friends but she just had this mysterious aura in her that one couldn’t point out. Little was known about her outside school, and annoyingly, it was also one of the major reasons why people — especially girls liked her. Fourth, Minjoo did mention that she was a pianist, right? Damn, she was bloody good at it, she was skilled! One of the best, and it made Minjoo, and a lot of others, wonder why she wasn’t a professional pianist at all or playing in such a big audience full of professionals, and prolific pianists at a theatre. She always looked so great whenever she was playing keyboard or the piano for the choir group of their university, even if she wasn’t in the middle of the spotlight — she always never failed to gather tons of attention.

 

And lastly, her voice. Her singing voice, and her voice in general was really something else. Of course, this person could sing, and even beautifully as well. She could be mistaken as a singer because her voice was really gifted by the gods. It was heaven-sent that it couldn’t even be compared to many of the idol singers out there. She was a woman of many talents. And Minjoo, also fond of singers, were instantly smitten, and fell in love with her voice the moment she heard her sing on the stage before.

 

Well, who wouldn’t just fall in love with Ahn Yujin, anyway? She was almost perfect. One of the most attractive people Minjoo ever met, like ever. And she always got Minjoo dazed. Ahn Yujin was her type. It was just… she was so great that Minjoo found it hard to erase this big fat crush on her. And much to her fear, it bloomed into something more, into something deeper even though there was nothing going on between them, at all.

 

Look, the reason why she couldn’t just easily move on, and instead she was falling deeper was because — Yujin was in her circle of friends. So, she couldn’t help it — since their close groups of friends collided into one, Minjoo always saw Yujin, and witnessed all her good, attractive qualities, and even flaws that Minjoo came to love unconditionally. Like Yujin’s hate for math subjects, Minjoo loved math but she accepted the pianist even though people who hated math annoyed her a lot.

 

Seeing Yujin quite often didn’t help her from trying to get over this… whatever that was — and everyday, Yujin just kept getting more, and more attractive to Minjoo’s eyes, and it was slowly driving her insane.

 

Minjoo had a reason why she should not like Yujin, you know. What was the reason? One might ask? Well, because of the fact that Yujin hated Minjoo for unknown reasons.

 

Okay, Minjoo didn’t know that officially, but she knew it. She could feel it, she could see it. Yujin always avoided her like a plague, she wouldn’t even glance at her way at all, never talked to her when the circle of friends were hanging out and jamming — Yujin always ignored her without fail, everytime she was around. It was frustrating, really. Well, who wouldn’t feel frustrated when your crush was ignoring you when you didn’t even do anything to them at all? Like… they hated you for no reason at all. It stung.

 

At first, Minjoo was trying to be a little bit close, so Minjoo could call Yujin her ‘friend’ at least. But in the end, Yujin would not even pay attention to her presence, and shrugged her off before she could even try. Hell, Yujin was so good at avoiding her like she already knew what Minjoo was planning, and she wanted to be away from the woman as much as possible. It really made Minjoo so sad, and a lil’ bit heartbroken, yeah, just a little… maybe.

 

And no, of course not, Minjoo hadn’t confessed yet to her, and was not planning to… never. No one also knew about her big fat crush on Yujin, it remained a secret — even to her best friend, Yuri. Well, the latter might’ve a hunch already but she wasn’t pushing for Minjoo to say it. So, Yujin didn’t avoid her because she had feelings. Minjoo barely interacted with her before! So, it was impossible that Yujin knew about her feelings, and was avoiding her because of that exact reason.

 

Geez, Minjoo didn’t know if it was for the better or not. It also upset her, she wanted Yujin’s attention too, of course. Even the slightest bit, she would already squeal in triumph if Yujin ever did glance at her once.

 

Minjoo really did want to move on though, what should she even expect from someone who wasn’t even paying attention to her? She didn’t have any slightest chance, so the best choice was to forget her, and erase these feelings. She had long given up trying to make Yujin like her, even just as a friend.

 

But…


 

Minjoo was laughing with Yuri about the gossip they heard from one of their classmates in the cafeteria, eating their sandwiches when suddenly, a group of friends entered the place and went to their table to sit. Instantly, Minjoo, and Yuri’s attention turned to them, greeting them happily.

 

Yena, Hyewon, Chaeyeon, and Yujin sat on the available chairs on the table — and instantly, the table that was occupied by the two of them only became louder as the loud mouths joined them. Those mentioned women were in a band, and Minjoo knew, and was friends with them because of Yuri — who was the vocalist of the said band. Minjoo was fairly close to them all, except for Yujin, of course — who looked good that day, as usual.

 

The keyboardist’s long raven hair was tied up into a messy bun that showed her sharp face features, and she was wearing glasses that day — perched on her sharp, proud nose. But still, Minjoo could see her eyes clearly, and it was sparkly that day, as she smiled at her friends who were being goofy. And as expected, didn’t even give Minjoo an ounce of attention or didn’t even make an effort to greet her even though she was just sitting across from her. But Minjoo was already used to that ‘Minjoo-doesn’t-exist-at-all-she’s-not-real’ treatment from the younger woman.

 

Jesus Christ, why was Yujin this fine and simply magnificent? She looked like those Greek Goddesses that could be found in art museums — well, Yujin belonged there, she was a masterpiece after all. She deserved to be admired like the perfect piece of art that she was.

 

Yuri joined in the fun but Minjoo remained silent, trying her best to subtly stare at Yujin with sharp eyes.

 

And god dammit, Minjoo could feel it again. The butterflies in her stomach, the familiar fluttering in her chest, and colorful rainbows and lovely warmth spreading through her chest like a wildfire that couldn’t be extinguished.

 

It made her shiver, thinking, and realizing again the way Yujin could make her feel. It was insane, seriously. Minjoo couldn’t get used to it even after a year of liking the keyboardist. It felt the same, the same feelings she had felt the moment her eyes landed on Yujin for the first time last year — in the music room, when she was newly introduced to them.

 

Back then, Yujin was still just a freshman, new to Jangmi University. She was the new recruit of Chaeyeon in their band as the keyboardist since Minjoo refused the offer of their leader, slash bassist that time to be their new keyboardist (yet again) after the last one, who already graduated, left the band. But she was charismatic, and beautiful, she left their jaws dropped open when she showcased her skills in piano, and keyboard. Instantly, she won a lot of people’s hearts because of it.


 

But still, it was all the same. Ahn Yujin never failed to make her feel things. It was still her whom her stubborn heart beats wildly for. Her stubborn heart wanted Yujin, and only would flip happily at the sight of her, and no one else.

 

///

 

All the times I have sat and stared

As she thoughtfully thumbs through her hair

And she purses her lips, bats her eyes, and she plays with me

Sittin’ there, slacked-jaw and nothing to say

 

Minjoo realized that she suddenly got herself another habit. It was almost natural, and she threw a fit when she realized that indeed, she got to create a routine that she didn’t even know. She was too oblivious, and probably in denial so it took her time to even realize that it became a natural habit, or rather, instinct now — to stare at Yujin everytime she ever saw her.

 

The journalism major would just often find herself staring, and her eyes would just unconsciously roam around to spot Yujin, or stare at her subtly. Minjoo wouldn’t be surprised if Yujin already noticed her constant stare, but then, the keyboardist was always too busy ignoring her, and pretending she wasn’t existing so Minjoo bitterly thought it wouldn’t matter much.

 

By now, Minjoo already memorized Yujin’s facial features, and every small detail in her outer existence. Like the faded scar on the younger woman’s forehead, it was almost not visible — Minjoo’s eyes were just really that sharp, and she was always staring so she came to notice it eventually. Her birthmark on her neck was always covered in make-up, it was just not really visible like the scar on her forehead but Yujin still liked to cover it. The way her eyelashes would flutter whenever she batted her eyes. The faded dots of freckles scattered around her face like a constellation of stars at night, and it was really one of her favorites in Yujin — Minjoo was desperate to stand in front of Yujin as close as possible, and trace it. The flecks of gold in her irises were also something she noticed even though her and Yujin’s gazes would rarely meet.

 

She noticed it all. Even her little mannerisms, and unconscious habits that Minjoo had learned to adapt for some reason — she was just staring, and watching Yujin so much that she got some of her mannerisms like chewing on her bottom lip when concentrating, Minjoo never used to do that. And tapping her fingers on a surface if bored, or feeling out of the place. Also scratching the bridge of her nose whenever she was nervous.

 

It was really funny, Minjoo just found herself doing all of those, naturally — like it was her habit since birth. Yuri noticed some of those, the sudden change of mannerisms, and all but as usual, she never asked Minjoo about it, and shrugged it off, thinking that it was just natural.

 

“Hey, Min! We’re just going to get some drinks. Eunbi, and the others were already on their way here.” Yuri patted her shoulder for her attention then told her that, and Minjoo, who was spinning her pen (another habit that she got from staring Yujin too much), looked up at her then stopped doing her hand movement.

 

Minjoo nodded in response, and Yuri smiled at her before walking out with Yena, and Hyewon out of the music club room. Yes, they have their own room, it wasn’t just for the band members but for the people who really loved music — through this club and music, they all met each other, and the rest was history.

 

Since Minjoo couldn’t join IZ, or just any band in general — she just settled on joining a music club. Well, her mother didn’t approve of her joining a band because it might affect her studies a lot because her attention would be divided, plus — it might be a good idea since experiencing how busy, and hectic her schedule were, goodness, she wouldn’t survive balancing performing, and studying at all. Being in a band would require her time too, and Minjoo wasn’t really the best in time management. It was enough that she was in this small club, and they could talk about music, study it a lot deeper, and jam together — plus, socialize, and all.

 

Minjoo’s eyes followed Yuri, Hyewon, and Yena’s backs until they all opened the door, and went outside before shutting it close. The club room was a lot quieter than before since the main noises, Yuri and Yena were away. And that made Minjoo finally turn her attention to the rest of the people left in the room. She was so busy with her assignments that she didn’t even talk with the others much. Thankfully, the club room was peaceful enough to do homeworks, and stuff — it could be loud sometimes but if they knew one was busy, and doing something important, they wouldn’t make much noise at all since they all respected each other.

 

She spotted Chaeyeon in the corner of her room, too busy tuning her bass silently while her feet were resting on top of the other desk. Chaeyeon was in the same year as hers, and majoring in Medicine. She met the woman through Yuri — well, she met all IZ from Yuri, anyway. Chaeyeon badly wanted Minjoo to fill in the keyboardist spot in the band before because the previous one couldn’t do any other styles — but now, she was satisfied with Yujin because the latter was just that skilled and talented. Minjoo thought that they made a very nice choice to make Yujin join the band because her skills wouldn’t be compared to the younger woman. She was already friends with Yena, and Chaeyeon even way before in highschool but wasn’t really interested to play the keyboard, and only agreed since they couldn’t really find someone who could play it nicely.

 

And then Minjoo’s gaze went to the other, and the last person present in the room, much to her little surprise — it was Yujin. The said woman was looking out of the window, staring, and seemingly in a deep thought. She looked rather peaceful, and of course, looking good as usual. Her hair was down today, cascading past through her broad shoulders, and weren’t wearing any glasses at all.

 

God, she was really perfect, if she wasn’t just a whole snob. Minjoo snickered.

 

With that, Minjoo got lost again — sitting there comfortably on her chair. She stared at Yujin unknowingly, and observed her, trying to analyze her. Silently hoping that Yujin would turn around, and at least meet her gaze even just for a mere second.

 

Yujin had her lips pursed tightly, her eyes were batting — her long eyelashes were fluttering every blink, and she was thumbing through her raven hair as she got drowned in her own ocean of thoughts. It was a sight to behold, and Minjoo drank the ethereal scene before her almost greedily.

 

But then, Yujin twisted her neck a bit towards her direction which resulted in their eyes meeting. There was a sudden spark between them, and Minjoo didn’t know if she was the only one who felt it. And even though she was shocked that Yujin held her gaze, and staring right back at her from her seat across the room — she sat still, eyeing the keyboardist with the same intensity.

 

Minjoo could feel a shiver running through her spine, and her heart instantly started to race rapidly like a rabid, wild dog who got caught in a net. Yujin’s gaze was piercing, intense, hard, and unreadable — but yet, it burned Minjoo good. It felt like the younger woman was glaring at her, but yet at the same time, simply observing. The older woman didn’t manage to think of it anymore because she got lost into those beautiful deep pools of chocolate orbs that Yujin owned. It was like she got hypnotized, this was the first time Yujin ever stared right back at her, and caught her stare fully.

 

She tried, she tried to understand, and see through her soul but to no avail. Minjoo failed because Yujin didn’t show anything, the windows to her own soul were closed, and unreadable. Minjoo found it more intriguing than frustrating. Yujin was rather reserved around them, except around her close friends — she was very good at hiding her emotions too. She could be a great actress, truly.

 

Yujin just sat there, leaning back coolly, and jaw slacked, and tense as she stared back at Minjoo silently, not saying a word at all. She didn’t utter anything, she barely spoke to Minjoo anyway — and they got nothing to talk about, well, maybe the tension lingering around the air that Chaeyeon was oblivious at, too focused on her fixing her bass with a slight frown on her face.

 

And Yujin was also the first one to break the brief eye-contact, which surprised Minjoo a bit, really. She thought she would be the one who would give up first because the taller woman’s eyes were just so freaking intense, and Minjoo couldn’t further hold an eye-contact anymore, then turn into a blushing mess. But no, Yujin just smoothly craned her neck to the other side to break their almost a minute long eye-contact then stood up, walking to Chaeyeon to ask her if she needed help, and all, her serious expression turning into a softer, and brighter one which made Minjoo’s face fall.

 

As if nothing happened at all, as if there was no tension between them at all, as if Yujin never stared at her like her life depended on her, like she never wanted something from her — unbelievable, Minjoo couldn’t help but to scoff, turning her attention back to her homework, and harshly continued to do it with a scowl on her face. Minjoo would admit but it really made her upset yet giddy at the same time, her skin felt tingly after being pinned under Yujin’s gaze for a long time.

 

With a sigh escaping her lips, the door opened — revealing Eunbi, Hitomi, and Chaewon. The three of them entered the room with smiles on their faces, and greeted them all brightly. Minjoo just merely threw them a smile before trying her best not to be distracted by the thought, and image of Yujin’s smoldering gaze on her. She needed to finish these assignments.

 

In the end, she failed, and gave up — tidying her things, and just had a talk with the three newcomers — a poor attempt to distract herself. She didn’t know though, but she felt weird. She felt like she was being watched, and all but no one in the room was even staring at her — when she checked Yujin, the latter was playing with her pen on the side, spinning it along her fingers smoothly. Minjoo just shrugged off the feeling of being watched.

 

///

 

Cause I love her with all that I am

And my voice shakes along with my hands

‘Cause she’s all that I see and she’s all that I need

And I’m out of my league once again

 

Minjoo wasn’t really someone who got easily jealous, envious of something. She was surrounded by her cousins who were much well-off than her, and she always witnessed them getting all the expensive toys they wanted from their parents but never did once she got jealous or envious of it — jealousy, greed, envy, and possessiveness were all out of her dictionary. She was known to be a very understanding, selfless person anyway, she was always trying her best to not just judge at one glance — she liked to analyze, and that was when she would react, or even think.

 

So, Minjoo already knew that she wouldn’t mind all of those girls flocking over her crush which was Yujin, who was popular among her peers. Well, like Minjoo had said, Yujin must be one of the most attractive students attending Jangmi College — she had a fair amount of admirers, be it bold ones or secret. And it was not like Yujin was hers to own, Yujin wasn’t hers, and Minjoo long accepted the fact that she wouldn’t be able to call the keyboardist, ‘mine’, ever at all.

 

Yujin was not her girlfriend at all, nowhere near that, and that fact really stung Minjoo’s heart. Taking a deep breath, she knew that it wouldn’t happen, and it could only happen in Minjoo’s dreams and fantasies. Yujin hated her, and the chance became even slimmer at the thought.

 

Seriously though, Minjoo never experienced being in love or being in a relationship — an official one, that was. Sure, she had a couple of flings or puppy loves when she was in highschool but it was those handsome boys who always gave her attention, and all but nothing went too serious so Minjoo wouldn’t count that as an experience. And college? Geez, she was too busy to find someone else, and Yujin existed, so nope. She would never use someone as a rebound so she could move on from Yujin, to prove that she was over with her, and all. That was too petty, and low of her.

 

So, she hadn’t really experienced being jealous towards someone — someone who was a real threat. Minjoo knew she had no rights at all but when it all happened right before her eyes, the older woman wanted to curl into the floor, and cry all day because she couldn’t do anything. That feeling was really awful, and it was her first time too, so she almost had a breakdown in the crowd.

 

It was when IZ had a small jam at the school grounds — a lot of students watched, and sang along that day — the band was popular around the school anyway, well, of course they would be known — the band members were all beautiful, and charming, and on top of it all, they were all skilled.

 

Minjoo was in a good mood that day because she got to jam along, and watch the band perform, and freely gawk at Yujin who was happily playing the keyboard at the corner — the said woman was smiling genuinely, her dimples showing deep that made Minjoo’s heart flutter. It looked like Yujin was in a good mood the same as her that day.

 

Watching Yujin play was really something else. It was heartwarming to see Yujin play the keys passionately, but at the same time, she was enjoying the hype from the crowd. She was really good at it. The way her slender fingers smoothly pressed the right keys and the way her head bopped along the beat, Minjoo was so swoon. She wanted to hold those hands, pepper them with kisses, and worship them.

 

It was a scene that Minjoo wouldn’t get tired of watching at all. She couldn’t help but to let out a grin too as she watched from the crowd.

 

She was with Chaewon since Yuri was there, singing, and being the main vocalist that she was — providing the audience a great show, and giving them eargasm with her hoarse yet sweet voice. Minjoo was so proud of her friend — Yuri really had a great singing voice, one of the best too. She wanted to be an idol singer but her parents, like Minjoo’s parents, were opposed to that idea of their daughter pursuing something related to music because they knew how harsh that kind of industry was so Yuri just decided to join as the vocalist of IZ, a small band that wouldn’t make her feel too pressured, yet she could also happily conquer a small stage.

 

After a while, they finally finished their last song, and the students started to howl, and cheer for them — it was so noisy at the school grounds but the professors just shook their heads when they passed by with a small smile on their faces. IZ might be just a small band but they were popular in Jangmi College. They were like the… unofficial band of Jangmi College — the band always played whenever there was an event in the school so even the professors were so fond of them, and let them pass whenever they performed in the school grounds after classes.

 

Minjoo spotted Yujin tidying up her keyboard silently while the other four talked with the other students who kept showering them praises, and some confident ones were asking for their numbers and all. She spotted some of them gawking at Yujin with reluctant eyes, they knew that Yujin was slightly snobbish, and unapproachable so they were hesitating to hit up a small talk with them, afraid that Yujin might ignore them.

 

Well, Yujin wouldn’t, really. She would do the usual — look at them then nod a bit, try her best to make up an excuse to cut the conversation off. Minjoo snickered at herself, at least Yujin gave them little attention while the latter kept ignoring Minjoo like she didn’t even exist at all. They should all be grateful that Yujin didn’t hate them for no reason.

 

Hmm, maybe Minjoo wanted to try, and start a small chat with Yujin. They never had an actual conversation even if they were already clubmates, and almost-friends for a year already. There were awkward exchanges but that was all, whenever Minjoo tried to attempt to have a brief conversation — Yujin would always wave her off, or ignore her, which really embarrassed her so she didn’t try anymore after that.

 

It was just that… Yujin looked like she was in a good mood, and maybe Minjoo would be able to get a word or two from the pianist today. Before she could even think of it thoroughly, she was already spotting a good timing to compliment Yujin about the spectacular performance she showed them.

 

However, before she could even do anything or move beside Chaewon — a familiar tall woman suddenly appeared in front of the crowd, wearing a charming smile as she strided closer to her target. Minjoo’s focus on Yujin broke as another figure popped out in her line of sight, and her eyes narrowed because the said figure was just getting closer, and closer to Yujin with intent.

 

Oh, it was none other than Jang Wonyoung — also one of the most popular students in Jangmi College, her great grandfather was the founder of the said school, and she was currently working as a freelance model, and studying fashion designing. Her beauty was ungodly, and she was fair, sought by a lot of people left and right.

 

Everyone became dead silent as the infamous Jang Wonyoung made her way to Yujin, like a model walking down on the runway, every pair of eyes were eyeing the tall woman with interest. Wonyoung’s beautiful cat-like eyes were only set on the oblivious Yujin who was still tidying up her things, packing her keyboard. Minjoo pursed her lips together tightly as she watched Wonyoung halt in front of the taller woman. There was a lump on the journalism major’s throat.

 

“Yujin,” Wonyoung called out softly, and Minjoo shuddered, watching the scene that she was currently witnessing with wide eyes, and went agape when Yujin turned to Wonyoung, her brow a little bit arched but she stood up, and faced Wonyoung properly with a curious gaze.

 

“Yes? What can I do for you?” The keyboardist asked gently, and too softly while staring back at Wonyoung with warmth in her chocolate orbs that Minjoo’s heart ached in envy. Yujin never looked, and talked with someone that softly.

 

Wonyoung flashed her a shy smile, her pale cheeks turning into pink which made her look like a shy peach. “Oh, I just want to talk with you,” responded the model, tucking a stray hair behind her ear while shyly biting her lower lip.

 

Minjoo’s brows twitched as a green sensation spread through her chest. She wanted to look away but she found herself frozen, and rooted on her spot, and eyeing the two women having a conversation like everyone wasn’t watching them intently, watching the scene unfold before them.

 

Yujin eyed Wonyoung, blinking confusedly, and nodded slowly. “Oh? Okay? What do you want to say?” She asked, and it wasn’t harsh, just simply curious.

 

Wonyoung blushed even more, looking around for a bit, and snickered when she realized that a lot of the students were being too nosy, Minjoo included but she faced the keyboardist once again — a confident aura suddenly emitting from her.

 

Chaewon suddenly scooted closer to her, whispering in a very low voice, “I’m betting thirty thousand won, Wonyoung will confess. I heard some rumors around that Jangmi College’s princess is interested in Yujin,” informed Chaewon, and then added, “They look great together though. If they ever work out, they will be a power couple for sure.”

 

There was a sudden flame igniting in Minjoo’s heart. She didn’t like the sound of that. She tried her best to look uninterested and nonchalant, but inside, she was frowning, and pouting. She was slightly annoyed because Wonyoung got to start a conversation with Yujin that easily, and fast.

 

“Oh, I, well—” Wonyoung stammered at first before clearing , staring at Yujin with sincere sparkly eyes. “I just wanted to say that, I like you, Yujin.” The taller woman finally confessed, and the sudden revelation got the crowd gasping, anticipating the happenings even more.

 

Minjoo’s heart froze for a moment, she literally went still, completely not minding Chaewon who was trying to hold her squeal, and slapping Minjoo’s tense shoulder excitedly. She was too busy trying to get rid of her shock, and this… dark ink spreading around her heart. Her ears rang.

 

But the moment the corner of Yujin’s lips tugged upwards to form a smile, there was when Minjoo lost it, her vision suddenly started to get blurry as tears formed, and threatened to fall. She was trembling, and her whole chest was aching, her heart wringing in distress.

 

And before someone could even notice that Minjoo was crying because of the scene that she witnessed in front of her — she turned her body away, and pushed herself into the crowd, desperate to leave in that suffocating place. God, she couldn’t even breathe, and it hurt too much. Chaewon, thankfully, didn’t follow her — her friend must’ve thought she was desperate to get into the bathroom or something.

 

Minjoo ran, and ran — she dashed away with the image of Yujin smiling to Wonyoung after the latter confessed to her haunting Minjoo’s mind as she fled away like a maniac. She was taken aback at the pain she received, it was too painful, and she didn’t expect that at all. She might not stomach it if Yujin ever said that she would like to date Wonyoung also, she might curl like a ball on the ground there in no time.

 

She stopped by near the gym, at the corner where no one could see her at all — it was hidden enough. When she leaned her whole limp body to the worn out wall, the tears she was holding back with all her might finally fell freely. She almost collapsed there because she felt really weak, she sat there as she covered to muffle her sobs.

 

It really hurt. It was so painful that Minjoo couldn’t help but to wail, and feel so breathless. Her heart was wringing painfully in her chest, and was slowly withering out of sadness, and pain. Now, was this the feeling of a real heartbreak? It felt like it already, and wow, she wasn’t really expecting the impact of it to her at all. The feeling crashed through her like a tsunami.

 

And because of this, another realization came rushing into her like a ten-wheeler truck. She let out another pained sob, with her free hand — she lightly patted her aching chest.

 

Minjoo loved Yujin. The older woman was most probably in love with someone who wouldn’t pay attention to her, someone who hated her for no reason. Now, this was the worst! Minjoo was appalled at the sudden realization, and she didn’t even deny it all, she was too tired denying that her feelings for Yujin was just a small attraction. She was so done.

 

“Goodness, I-I love Ahn Yujin?” Minjoo’s voice shook as she uttered her under her breath, as she used her trembling hands to wipe her unending tears flowing from her bloodshot, puffy eyes. “Oh god…”

 

Well, the signs were already there, and she couldn’t just bring herself to admit it to herself. Her heart was already telling her but she refused to listen, she thought it wasn’t love but no — Minjoo already fell in love with Ahn Yujin. And she didn’t know when it started but all she just knew…

 

Yujin started to be the only person she could ever see. Even in the middle of the crowd, and if she ever spotted the said woman, the people around her would instantly vanish as her sight would focus on Yujin, and Yujin only, that she felt like they were only the people existing on Earth that very moment. And it was really something.

 

Minjoo choked out another loud sob, and winced.

 

Yujin was all that Minjoo needed. She was the only one who could mend her broken heart, the one who could make her feel wonderful and painful things, the one who could make her genuinely happy, and feel so in love. Minjoo needed Yujin. But Yujin did not need her at all. And it was rather sad.

 

Laughing at her own misery, Minjoo took a deep breath as she tried to calm herself down but she kept sobbing, and sniffling, thinking bitterly that Yujin and Wonyoung do look good together after all. She was slowly accepting it, she just needed a little time—

 

The door of the gym suddenly opened, and Minjoo flinched, oh yeah — she forgot that there was a back door, and she didn’t even realize that she was near one, and she really thought there was no one using the gym at this kind of time. All of the classes had already ended, and it was nearing night time which reminded Minjoo that she needed to collect herself up, and go home. Probably continue her crying session inside her room.

 

Minjoo quickly brushed her tears away with her hands, and sniffled one last time as she stood up then turned around so they wouldn’t see her awful state. She probably looked like absolute .

 

“Are you okay? I heard some sobs from inside,”

 

It was a manly voice, and it was awfully familiar too. Minjoo knew that voice after all, and that made her turn her back again then face the newcomer — she was instantly greeted by a familiar man — he was tall, broad, and sweaty, and a worried expression was written all over his handsome face. His eyes were really concerned but they glinted in familiarity when their eyes met.

 

“Minjoo! Hey, are you alright? Why are you crying?” Hyunjin asked her, walking closer to her, and Minjoo tried not to step away, and sniffled. That alerted the man even more. “Calm down, hey now, I’m here. You can talk to me…” The man hushed, gently grabbing her arm, rubbing it up and down in a gentle, comforting way. It was surprisingly effective.

 

Hwang Hyunjin was Minjoo’s childhood friend. They weren’t really that close anymore after they entered highschool, only occasional smiles, and nods would be the exchange between them whenever they bumped into each other around the school. At some point, Minjoo had a crush on him when they were in middle school.

 

Well, he was handsome, a whole gentleman too, no wonder a lot of girls were going after him up until today. He was undeniably attractive, Minjoo knew that. Hyunjin was a basketball player which explained why he was still in the gym this late. He was also a dancer, and singer, and he could play guitar. Minjoo and he would occasionally learn some songs to play on the guitar when they were younger. It was their bonding when they were still kids, and all.

 

Minjoo could just feel her body being pulled closer but she went even closer, and hugged Hyunjin which surprised the latter a bit — but he wasn’t too uncomfortable, was just shocked and a little bit reluctant to hug the woman back but she did look like she needed some comfort so in no time, the journalism major could feel a muscular pair of arms wrapping around her small frame ever so gently — almost afraid that he was going to crush her.

 

It was comfortable, and warm. But Yujin’s gaze on her was warmer, it was fire while Hyunjin’s comfort was just a smoldering coal. Yet, it was enough for Minjoo to calm down. She was glad she found an old friend in times like this.

 

She wondered, what if she just fell for Hwang Hyunjin instead? God knew that it would be easier for her but yet she still loved Ahn Yujin instead.

 

Ahn Yujin who was out of Minjoo’s league.

 

///

 

Its a masterful melody

When she calls out my name to me

As the world spins around her

She laughs, rolls her eyes

And I feel like I'm fallin’ but it’s no surprise

 

Ever since that day, Minjoo didn’t hear anything at all from her friends about Wonyoung, and Yujin — she only heard that Yujin, and Wonyoung went somewhere private, and talked. Everyone assumed they got together but they weren’t seen together after Wonyoung’s confession so the students were confused. Yujin, and Wonyoung wouldn’t say anything, not caring about the gossip at all.

 

Minjoo didn’t know if she should be relieved or not. But she didn’t care anymore, she told herself to try moving on from Yujin again. The process would be painful since in order to make her heart give up, she would need to see them together, like happily. But much to her luck, or no luck. There was nothing to gather at all. They were either dating secretly, away from prying eyes or Yujin rejected Wonyoung.

 

But the smile Yujin flashed to Wonyoung when the latter confessed meant something, didn’t it? Goodness, Minjoo wouldn’t want to know anything about the both of them anymore. It was driving her crazy.

 

And because of the incident, she also started to distance herself away from the circle of friends because she knew Yujin would be everywhere with them, and that wasn’t good at all. She started to hang-out with Hyunjin again after he comforted her. After she had calmed down crying that day, the man took her to the nearest ice cream shop, and treated her with some ice cream to make her feel better. The gesture was really something, it was fluttering but it was not really serious at all. She was just grateful, she wasn’t falling for Hyunjin, unfortunately. All she could see was that he would be a good friend of hers, nothing more.

 

Yet she still tried if she could see him more than as a friend so that was why she hung out with him more often. Not just that, Hyunjin was really just a great companion. He was charming, funny, and he always made Minjoo comfortable, and nice. He even taught her how to play basketball whenever Minjoo would accompany him to practice.

 

 

Yuri confronted Minjoo about her and Hyunjin’s relationship because the journalism major was spending too much time with him that she barely visited the clubroom now. Well, Minjoo was swamped with homework too, anyway. Minjoo clarified that there was nothing going on, and her best friend barely brought her lie, still suspicious. The others were also starting to get worried about her lack of presence around the music club too, so Minjoo decided to bring Hyunjin in the club soon. He would fit in, he knew how to play guitar, and bass nicely. She would ask him first if he would be comfortable around the presence of the ladies.

 

Now, she was currently in the clubroom, hanging out with the others to make up for the time that was lost. She missed out on a few hang-outs, and jamming sessions because she was busy with her reports, and schoolworks plus spending time with Hyunjin around, these were the poor attempts to forget Yujin somehow. Well, of course, she was avoiding Yujin, and trying to get over the heartbreak so she was always out of the scene these past few weeks. Some of them were teasing her to Hyunjin but Minjoo would only laugh at that because she knew it was really nothing anyway.

 

The clubroom was pretty lively, and Minjoo missed it. She was comfortable, and there was a chill song blasting off from the speakers to make the atmosphere a lot better as they all gossiped, and laughed.

 

Yujin was in the room, too, of course. Minjoo ignored her, she tried her best to ignore her, and calm her heart down from fluttering, and aching. And as usual, Yujin also pretended that she didn’t exist. And even if she didn’t want to, her eyes would naturally drift to stare at Yujin. Well, old habits die hard.

 

And then, in the middle of her conversation with Yuri, and the others, a voice suddenly called for her name which made her stop instantly, eyes widening in shock, and her neck almost snapped as she turned her neck to the direction where the familiar cold, hoarse voice came from. Yujin...

 

“Minjoo,” It was just simple, and Minjoo already got called by her name countless times already but when Yujin called for her, it was so sweet, and impactful. The way her name rolled out of Yujin’s tongue was so frustratingly addicting. Too melodic. One call, and Minjoo’s attention was already on her just like that.

 

Yujin was standing there, hands on her pockets, and wearing her usual expression, her eyes were cold as they darted on her but Minjoo was still processing how good Yujin said her name, and the journalism major felt like crumbling down because goodness — those long days that she was trying to move on (she was already in the process) went into the drain as her heart lit up once again. For Yujin. What the hell, seriously.

 

“Can you pass Hyewon’s guitar here, Minjoo?” Yujin then continued, and Minjoo’s heart skipped a bit, her reaction was delayed, and only turned her back to check for the said guitar after two seconds of openly gaping at Yujin with shock evident at her face.

 

Hello? It was like… the first time Yujin initiated an exchange between them, and she finally said her name! Minjoo wanted to rejoice but then she realized that she was heartbroken because of her so no thanks, she tried to look normal as much as possible as she grabbed the guitar then passed it to Yujin who just gave her a small mutter of, “Thanks.” And turned her back, walking back to where she was before. Minjoo almost pouted.

 

The conversation continued once again, and Minjoo was distracted, collecting her thoughts about her feelings for Yujin. Her heart, as usual, betrayed her and kept beating happily, and accomplished that Yujin said her name. Oh, it sounded so melodic, and a lullaby. It just kept repeating inside Minjoo’s head, and it was driving her mad. Damn, she was still so happy at the bare minimum she got from Yujin, who broke her heart. Minjoo reminded herself that Yujin might be taken already.

 

Unknowingly, her focus went to Yujin again who was talking with the other group, sitting laidback on her seat with a small smile plastered on her face. Minjoo gulped, and let her stare linger for a while. Her world spinned, her heartbeat sped up.

 

Yena cracked a joke, and that made Yujin laugh hard then rolled her eyes because of how hideous it was. And it was heartwarming, surely. Minjoo felt like everyone beside Yujin disappeared as her eyes solely gawked at the keyboardist.

 

No doubt. Minjoo was starting to fall again. She was frustrated, and all, but she wasn’t surprised in any bit.

 

///

 

Minjoo finally got Hyunjin’s approval — it didn’t take much to convince Hyunjin to agree. She knew that the man wouldn’t resist her charm anyway, and she was good at convincing people. It was her secret talent.

 

When Hyunjin stepped inside the clubroom, he was shy, and had his guitar case on his back. Minjoo laughed as she pulled him into the room further to greet the other awaiting ladies. They all welcomed Hyunjin warmly, it wasn’t a common sight for a guy to be in the music room so they were ecstatic. Plus, they all knew Hyunjin because he was a varsity player so they were excited when Minjoo informed them that he could play guitar, and bass skillfully, and that she would make him visit.

 

They were all happy to befriend the gentleman who kept blushing whenever the ladies flocked over her, asking him questions about basketball and giving him compliments, and all. He was a shy person, anyway, it was in his gentle nature. Chaeyeon instantly liked him when he showed off her bass playing skills in front of them that made their jaw drop in awe. Minjoo smirked proudly.

 

And well, there was one who was very displeased with Hyunjin’s presence inside the room. Of course, none other than Ahn Yujin. She was glaring at Hyunjin the whole time from her seat, and kept scoffing — not even joining the fun, just isolating herself in the corner of the room. Minjoo caught Yujin throwing dagger stares at her and Hyunjin when she went to him, and started to tease, and play with him.

 

That made her heart fall into her stomach. Yujin was probably not too comfortable with a man’s presence, and probably annoyed at the fact that she and Hyunjin were playing around the clubroom, and not outside. Yujin must’ve thought that there was something going on between her and Hyunjin… and that she was flaunting her ‘relationship’ around. Yujin did look like someone who always got annoyed at stuff like that.

 

Soon after, Yujin snickered, rolling her eyes as she went out of the clubroom — shutting the door closed with a loud thud that surprised everyone present in the room. They were shocked at the sudden attitude. Hyunjin blinked then looked at Minjoo who was staring at the door with a concerned gaze.

 

Yena broke the silence with a snort, “If I just didn’t know any better, I would’ve thought Yujin got jealous of you two — specifically Hyunjin,” She joked, and laughed, shaking her head as she continued spinning her drumstick with her fingers. That made Minjoo real quiet, well, she could only wish.

 

And well, after that incident — Yujin’s snobbish, cold attitude around Minjoo even got worse. She refused to be in the same room with her, whenever the journalism major would enter the clubroom — the keyboardist would leave a minute later in a gloomy mood. And whenever she saw Yujin, and she was with Hyunjin that time — Minjoo could see that the woman would clench her jaw as her stare would harden, it wasn’t a glare — it was way more intense like that. Like she loathed both of them, like she loathed Minjoo that bad.

 

Even Hyunjin already noticed the dagger looks they kept receiving, and the man would talk about how scary, and cold Yujin was. He kept asking Minjoo what he did wrong because Yujin really scared him out.

 

Minjoo was really sulky because of it. Maybe Yujin liked Hyunjin? But Minjoo thought that Yujin didn’t swing that way at all! It was obvious for some reasons, she got a gut feel, a huge one even. But still, she shouldn’t judge. That was the closest thing she could think of why Yujin was acting like that. Unless, Yujin liked Minjoo— okay, stop. It wasn’t possible.

 

Why? Because Yujin and Wonyoung might really be dating for real now! Minjoo spotted them together quite a few times. And she noticed that Yujin didn’t go to the clubroom that much anymore nor hung out with her best friends often because she was always with Wonyoung. The pain just doubled. Thankfully, Hyunjin was there to comfort her whenever she felt too sad, and hurt.

 

Sigh, Minjoo just wanted to burst. She just kept stressing over it, and all. It had been a month now, and school would finally end soon. Minjoo, surprisingly, still excelled at the hard projects, and reports even though her mind was occupied most of the time. It didn’t really much affect her grades but her sleeping schedule? Definitely. She couldn’t even rest even though she just finished a long day.

 

She missed it though. She missed Yujin being around her at all times, even though the woman kept pretending that she didn’t exist. Minjoo was close to Yujin that way, and she could stare but now? She couldn’t, afraid to catch Yujin’s furious gaze. She missed Yujin.

 

Surely enough, the others noticed it, and they were worried for the both of them. Yuri kept asking if they fought or something but Minjoo told her the truth, she was clueless.

 

However, one day...

 

“Hey! Are you done with those?” Chaewon went to Minjoo’s table in the library, and greeted her silently as much as she could. The journalism major smiled tiredly, sliding her fingers through her hair as she nodded then started to tidy up her things. “Yuri told me to get you, the band is currently having their usual jamming session, a surprise hang-out! Let’s go!” The older woman grabbed Minjoo’s hand, and harshly dragged her away from the library the moment the younger woman had placed her things inside her bags.

 

Minjoo just followed along, letting herself get dragged by Chaewon like a ragdoll, not even protesting because she was too tired, and sleepy. But the idea of watching Yujin play the keys happily again made her light up a bit, so she also excitedly went along.

 

When they entered the clubroom, Minjoo was greeted by a familiar melody, a very familiar song coming from the piano that the staff provided to the club when it was created. Minjoo and Yujin were the only ones who usually played that grand piano — so…

 

As if it was on cue, Yujin’s familiar singing voice intensified around the quiet room, and Minjoo was lost once again, she didn’t even notice that Chaewon dragged her closer to the platform, and whispered something under her breath, “Perfect timing,” But Minjoo didn’t mind it, her all attention was solely focused on Yujin as she performed — singing, and playing the piano.

 

The others were silently watching her too, smiling as they watched Yujin perform from their seats, and they didn’t even pay attention when Minjoo appeared with Chaewon as they were already hypnotized by the pianist’s voice. They were mesmerized. Yujin rarely played solo, only when she really wanted to.

 

Minjoo recognized that song, and the chord — it was all too familiar because she could relate to that song very well. Yujin was singing one of Minjoo’s favorites, Out of My League by Stephen Speaks. And her heart skipped a beat at that.

 

Yujin’s voice was really perfect, the way she sang was so sweet yet emotional. Her pronunciation was on point, she sounded so fluent. And even though she was playing the piano at the same time, it didn’t sound too tense or anything. Yujin was really something else, and soon enough, Minjoo was also hypnotized, watching the pianist — and god, she might look like she was really in love with Yujin. But she couldn’t care less anymore if somebody noticed it. What mattered was Yujin only, and her voice, and her skilled fingers pressing the right keys smoothly.

 

But in the middle of singing, Yujin’s eyes turned to the small crowd in the clubroom, smiling at them as she still kept going on with her performance. The others howled, especially Yena who let out a whistle. But when her eyes landed on Minjoo, and met her gaze, her face lit up in shock — she was surprised to see Minjoo that time, and the journalism major pursed her lips, staring at Yujin.

 

Soon enough, the shock disappeared, and Yujin relaxed again. Even if she got slightly taken aback at Minjoo’s sudden appearance while she was performing solo, she didn’t stop or anything which made the older woman release a breath of relief. That might really cause some drama, and Minjoo would blame herself that Yujin stopped performing because of her.

 

But no, Yujin simply looked away but her smile was long faded from her face, and the bright, confident aura that she was emitting earlier when she hadn’t noticed Minjoo yet got replaced by a gloomy, emotional one. Her voice got deeper, and huskier because of it, dripping of sadness? Minjoo couldn’t tell but for sure, she was one of the main reasons why Yujin suddenly became like that. Her broad shoulders were also slumped but didn’t strain her ability on playing the piano at all.

 

Suddenly, when the slower chorus approached — Yujin tipped her chin up, and twisted her neck a bit, finding a certain pair of eyes, and Minjoo’s breath hitched when Yujin stared right back at her with the same intensity, still singing so passionately that the older woman’s knees buckled, and almost gave up.

 

Cause I love her with all that I am

And my voice shakes along with my hands

‘Cause it’s frightening to be swimming in this strange sea

But I’d rather be here than on land

Yes, she’s all that I see and she’s all that I need

And I’m out of my league once again

 

Yujin stared at her the whole time as she sang those remaining parts, and Minjoo couldn’t even feel her heart anymore. It was racing so wildly that it became numb. No, this couldn’t be. This probably meant nothing... she was hanging out with Wonyoung.

 

But… Yujin’s eyes were desperate, and sad — heartbroken but determined, and it meant something. As if it was like she was trying to convey a secret message through that song, and Minjoo couldn’t even breathe at all. She could see the whole universe in Yujin’s eyes at that time, and she was mesmerized.

 

And even if she already stopped singing, and playing the piano, she was still staring intently at Minjoo’s orbs, like she was trying to enter — Minjoo wanted to let her in, gladly, even. But their eye-contact broke when Yena, and the others started to flock over Yujin, showering her praises and all, that left Minjoo wondering, her mind was in shambles — so was her heart.

 

Ahn Yujin… was Minjoo out of her league too?


 

///

 

A/N: now, now… before you guys attack me for leaving it an open-ending, it’s not yet done lmao yes there will be a part two, and it will focus on yujin’s POV. its going to be out soon, i think? idk just plz wait patiently okie? Hahahaha

 

anyway, y’all should thank gray_j72 for commissioning me to write this one~ without her, this os won’t come to light. the plot was also made by her so~ thanks again bro for getting me to write this one!

 

dont forget to comment your thoughts~ and upvote if you liked it! stay safe as always~