Beware You Don't Choke

Beware You Don't Choke

 

Sometimes, Jessica wonders how she managed to find herself here. All she ever wanted out of life was to sing and dance for people. Make them happy through the sound of her voice, or captivate an audience. Yet, here she is, currently cutting a banner at the grand opening of her first restaurant. How did things get here? What about this is a good idea? These questions, among various others, have drifted through her mind the last few weeks on the run-up to today. Jessica isn’t exactly known for being a great cook herself. Her version of cooking includes praying that the entire building doesn’t burn to smithereens. That, or relying on takeout that someone else has carefully prepared for her. Fortunately, she doesn’t need to step into the kitchen herself. Otherwise, the health board would have her shut down before she could even say seared scallop. 

As the gold ribbon falls to the floor and a few members of her team cheer loudly, there’s a great sense of relief. There usually is whenever a new project gets underway. The business world is not easily tackled. But she has managed to survive with the sharks thus far. When her fashion line had begun, it was scarier than any performance and any television appearance combined. The fear of whether or not people would take her seriously was unbearable, hence why the scrap pile was far more extensive than imagined. A lot of the edgier designs were abandoned. Fortunately, those decisions turned out better than imagined, and Blanc & Eclare ended up a success story. She prays that the same fate will be written for this restaurant. 

A few photographers waiting outside quickly snap their pictures outside of the building first. Jessica makes sure the enormous sign can be seen in the background and shuffles into position for their barrage of shots. Some pictures are set up to look candid. Others are meant to show how proud she is of her new venture. They all have the blinding flashes in common that Jessica has never gotten used to seeing. But, she does feel the pride that the photographers wish for her to express. She’s proud to have gotten to this point in her life. Proud to have stuck to her plans. Proud to be doing things that push her forward. It’s a blessing though a terrifying one. She allows herself to digest the moment, breathe a little, and remind herself that she created all of this.

The interior design is flawless, and everything Jessica had hoped it would be when the opportunity for a restaurant first arose. It’s modern, clean, and offers an experience like no other. Having traveled the world and dined in some of the fanciest establishments herself. Jessica can safely say that she has a unique insight into the restaurant industry. The menu was the easiest part of the process. A combination of some of her favorite foods and classic fine-dining items that she knows will sell, no matter what. However, making this place successful will take more than just fancy food and a good atmosphere. There are plenty of people out there who will see this restaurant failing as another way to tarnish her reputation. 

On the other hand, the hiring process was long and arduous. There are a surprisingly large amount of qualified chefs in the area. All of whom wanted an interview for the latest restaurant in town. Choosing the right people for the team was more of a headache than necessary. Once the head chef had been appointed after numerous interviews and taste-testing sessions, not that Jessica is complaining about that. The rest of the team slowly fell into place. It’s a relatively small team, but all with a great deal of passion and talent. The all-black uniform adorned with the restaurant logo is fashionable yet sophisticated. If there is one thing that Jessica is aware of, it’s that appearance is everything. Or rather, that is what some people like to judge upon.

A date was set months in advance for the opening. However, it wasn’t advertised until closer to the time, just in case an abundance of reservations was made that they couldn’t guarantee. Every day Jessica obsessively checked the weather forecast, making sure there weren’t any other events happening at her competition. Even going to the extent of triple-checking the guest list every hour, without fail. As it turns out, the sun is high in the sky, all other restaurants were just having a regular business day, and all the guests all turned up on time. 

The cameras begin to fall, and the flashes come to a stop. It’s finally time to breathe freely. Though not for too long as she is expected inside to give a speech and raise a glass. Internally, she hopes beyond hope that every day after this one is just as successful. She pulls the door open swiftly and finally heads inside to greet everyone, picking up a champagne flute from a server. She downs it in a matter of seconds, plasters on the best smile she can, and works on charming the pants off everyone in the room. 

It’s not even thirty minutes later when the staff begin to work on closing things down. Jessica slowly walks to the front of the restaurant to take a look around the room. It was a laborious process getting to this day. But overall, the opening was successful with very little anxiety. It doesn’t take long for everything to be cleaned and placed perfectly for tomorrow. 

As the waiting staff begins to leave, smiles all around, the kitchen staff continue to wipe down surfaces and make notes of the preparation needed in the morning. The front door to the restaurant dings to signal that someone has entered. Jessica hastily walks toward it to inform whoever it is that they are closed for the evening. Having to turn away custom feels like a small achievement within itself, especially on the first day. 

But, the second she steps around the corner to face the curious patron, she’s stunned to find a face that resembles someone she once knew far too well. It takes a shake of the head and rubbing her tired eyes for Jessica to see that it is indeed who she thinks it is. 

“Kwon Yuri?” She hesitantly asks though it isn’t a question at all. Rather a dumbfounded statement that happened to make her voice rise to sound like a question. The name feels like poison on her tongue. Muttering it after so long feels like the air is being strangled out of her body. It's foreign, where it once was familiar. 

Yuri takes a moment to try and pick up on the vibe that Jessica is giving off before slowly walking closer toward her. Whether Jessica realizes it or not, she clenches her right hand into a tight fist and takes a step backward. Yuri, however, does notice it, and it pains her deep down somewhere she had long since buried. 

“Hi… Jess.” She speaks softly. “I… Can we talk?” 

The tension in the room is unbearable. The last few servers idly waiting to get beyond the two women and out of the door take notice. None of them bother to say anything, simply shuffling out of their way. Jessica eventually picks up on their presence and ushers them out of the door and away from this awkward space that Yuri has created by coming here. For a day that was going so well, Jessica knows this is about to ruin it for her. 

“What are you doing here?” Jessica asks, trying her best not to sound unsettled and failing miserably. She sits herself down at one of the tables just to prevent herself from falling over. Yuri reluctantly takes the seat opposite her, cautious not to make the situation worse than it already is. Though, she can’t help but feel like Yuri doesn’t deserve the courtesy of her doing damage control with her own emotions and thoughts. 

“I saw that you were opening a restaurant. You know that this was always something I wanted to do myself.” Yuri offers a small smile, hoping to break some of the tension. Jessica’s lips do not move an inch, nor does she bother to notice the small olive branch that Yuri is attempting to offer. “I had to come and see it for myself. You did it Jess.” 

The kitchen staff is next to leave, none of which stick around long enough to see what is happening at their table. Jessica’s eyes wander toward the door that they exit out of the restaurant from. It’s embarrassing, but she wishes she could leave with them and run away from this entire situation. But, she can’t leave until Yuri does, and it doesn’t look like she is willing to do so just yet. Her hand balls into a fist atop of the table, and her legs crossed defensively. 

“Well, now you have seen it,” Jessica responds. This time not bothering to hide her annoyance at Yuri’s presence. “I would like for you to leave.” 

Yuri sighs dejectedly but stands to do as Jessica had requested. She scans the room one last time, taking a mental note of how far Jessica has come to be able to do something such as this. It doesn’t seem like two minutes ago that they were all just a group of kids up on stage together. All of whom were desperate to make their dreams come true. But, that time has long since passed, and Yuri doesn’t wish to make Jessica any more uncomfortable than she already is. 

“You were my best friend Yuri,” Jessica says as Yuri turns toward the door, ready to pull on the handle. “My best friend. How did you forget that once I was gone?” 

Yuri pauses at the door, wondering what her next move should be.  She can hear the hostility in Jessica’s voice, the pain that she has held onto all these years. Though that pain that Jessica is currently reliving, Yuri harbors the same feeling. When Jessica left, they mutually ignored one another and moved on, or so she had thought. But clearly, not addressing what happened hasn’t done either of them any favors. Without giving it a second thought, Yuri retaliates on instinct. 

“I forgot? You never reached out either Jess!” Anger fills Yuri’s expression, while shock overtakes Jessica’s face. “What? You think you’re the only one who missed our friendship? I lost you that day too. It wasn’t just you who ended up hurt.” 

The pair remain silent. Yuri pulls her hand back from the door and runs it through her hair. Jessica remains seated, eyes fixated on the table as she takes in Yuri’s words. The only sound audible being a buzzing noise from the kitchen area, likely one of the freezers.  Yuri eventually moves to sit down opposite Jessica for the first time throughout this entire conversation. She also gets to take in her features, notices her eyes look sadder than she can ever recall, and her face is thinner, likely due to the stress. 

“You’re right.” Jessica whispers. She looks up from the table and meets Yuri’s worried gaze. “I’m sorry.” A tear slowly tries to escape her eyes, but she swiftly brushes it away, breaking the eye contact momentarily. 

The uncomfortable silence returns as neither know what to say or if words are even necessary. A carousel of memories plays out inside each of their heads, from jumping around the dorm together, celebrating their many wins, or practicing choreography until they could no longer stand. For the life of her, Jessica can’t think why they willingly ignored each other for years. Some of her favorite memories and lowest moments include Yuri being at her side. They were always one another’s biggest cheerleaders. 

Yuri stretches her hand across the table to unfurl Jessica’s fist. Her hand is almost purple from her fingernails digging into her palm. She tries to hold it gently within her own. But, Jessica pulls her hand away and fiddles with her fingernails beneath the table instead. Not yet ready to feel any kindness or care from someone she hasn’t spoken to in what feels like forever. 

“I’m sorry too… for what it’s worth.” Yuri professes. “I debated in my head for hours whether or not coming here today was a good idea. But, it felt like the right time. We have already wasted enough of that ignoring each other. Don’t you think?” 

Jessica nods slowly, taking in every word. Despite that they have spent too much time pretending to hate one another, Jessica knows part of her will always care about and love Yuri deeply. They have both felt loss and held onto grudges they wish they hadn’t when the time came that they couldn’t take it back. Neither wishes to be unable to find forgiveness and healing with one another. 

“All of this time, we could have still been friends if we weren’t so stubborn.” Jessica smiles gently. Yuri mirrors her expression and leans back into her chair comfortably. “I must have learned that from you, you were always stubborn.” 

Jessica laughs as Yuri gives off a faux offended expression. They both know that they are more than capable of being stubborn and are more alike than people think. 

“We’re going to need time… both of us. Right?” Yuri asks, though doesn’t clarify. Not that she needs to do so. Jessica knows that this is Yuri trying to begin a new chapter in their friendship. 

“I don’t know you anymore. Not really. But, I would like to get to know you again. If that’s something you want?” Jessica asks. 

A brief silence falls upon them as Yuri takes in her question pondering how this attempt at renewing their friendship will play out. Will it work? Can they overcome the hurt that the last few years have brought them both? This outcome was never something Yuri considered would happen when she decided to step through the door. Yet here she is before Jessica, and they’re laughing together for the first time in forever. It feels natural like they never skipped a beat.

“I would like that more than anything.”