Maknae on Top

Polaroids

Many of the Super Junior members couldn't quite stiffle their giggles when the producers announced the theme for their newest SJ Returns episode. Including, of course, Kyuhyun himself. Maknae on top, they said. The battle between the two youngest in Super Junior. Which was, truthfully, something that would definitely be very entertaining to watch.

Technically, the maknae of Super Junior was Yesung. The guy was more than a year younger than their next youngest, Ryeowook. But here's the thing.

Yesung was tall.

He was–not quite so–easily taller than half of the members. The only ones taller than him and currently active were Siwon, Shindong, Heechul and Kyuhyun himself. Though in their defense, Yesung had the inherent talent of appearing smaller than he actually was. Even their fans, their ELF, agreed with them. Kyuhyun had seen more than enough comments about how they, the fans, always forgot that Yesung was tall and kept on getting surprised when they were reminded of that fact. Maybe it was the narrow shoulders. Or his slim build. Or those mini-sized hands. Or perhaps it was those loose clothings their youngest seemed to love to wear.

Well, perhaps not the last bit. Yesung in loose clothings looked at least a little bulky. Yesung in fitting clothes just emphasized how lithe he was.

Ryeowook, on the other hand, was easily the shortest of them all. Bar none. So truly, Kyuhyun could understand how many just assumed that Ryeowook was the maknae if only based on their heights.

Those insoles could only do so much, he guessed.

"Which one of them is the youngest on top, in your opinion? Ryeong or Aesong?" The question was thrown by their leader and also MC, Leeteuk, to the four of them now gathered in the studio.

"It's Yesung. Since lately he just do what he wants, relenting to no one and so focused in everything that he does," was Shindong's answer. That was true. Yesung had recently become much more confident with himself, which made Kyuhyun, and also all of them, felt proud of their youngest.

"Ryeowook is hiding his claws," Donghae answered, "He's hiding them when in front of Yesung, but really, you can see from his gaze. 'I will step on you.'" Nods were exchanged. No one had forgotten just how vicious Ryeowook could be when he was cornered. Or even when he wasn't cornered. His tongue had become much sharper as well.

Kyuhyun, who knew the both of them better than any of these guys there because of their sub-unit KRY, chose, "Yesung. He's more persuasive than you all think, when he wants to be." His comment garnered a few raised eyebrows, to which he just smirked in return.

"Frankly, Yesung has no concept of personal space," Eunhyuk's voice cut through the increasingly charged situation, which was greeted with laughter and agreements from the other four. Especially when the said person exclaimed an indignant "Hey!" from off the camera. "Ryeowook has the real power and Yesung really adores Ryeowook." Again, nods and agreement all around. Though to be fair, the adoration was mutual between them. Ryeowook was soft on his only dongsaeng, and Yesung has repeatedly filmed on camera saying that he really liked his Ryeowook-hyung.

At least being really liked did not make Ryewook exempt from philtrum molesting.

No, Kyuhyun wasn't jealous. Not at all.

(He meant, why couldn't Yesung said that he liked him in front of camera instead of Ryeowook once in a while too? The injustice, really.)

Which was why he placed his bet on Yesung, both time. To show his support and maybe, just maybe, to earn some brownie points. The first round of games was practically rigged in Yesung's favour, anyway. Which was as it should be, since it was a game that Yesung was confident in. Everyone in Super Junior and their fans knew just how good their maknae's memory was. Human AlphaGo, Ryeowook once said. So the game of SuJu Trivia was right up his alley. Because really, no one but Yesung would remember what the 8th song of their 5th album was.

Ironically, and perhaps also appropriately, it was Memories.

"I'm betting on Yesung," Kyuhyun announced as they entered the second game, which was chosen by Ryeowook. Da Vinci's code, a game that combined deduction and mathematics. Which, honestly, kind of confused him. Just a little bit. Yes, Ryeowook had experience and hundreds of games backing him up, but Yesung had amazing analytical skill and was crazy good in deduction. So really, this game could go either way.

If he was Ryeowook, he would have chosen something like guessing the key in which a song was played. Or if a song was played in a higher or lower key than the original song. But then again, as he–and many others–had known, Ryeowook was soft on Yesung.

He let his arms rested on Yesung's shoulders as he waited for the others to decide their bet, leaning down so that his chin was resting on top of the younger's head.

"That hurts," The soft complain came from the male sitting in front of him. Leaning forward and peeking down, dark brown eyes met black as the younger peeked up at him in return. Kyuhyun raised his eyebrow at the frown and pout that greeted him.

"What hurts?"

"Your chin is too pointy."

"Yah!" His hand moved then, fingers catching Yesung's own chin and shaking it lightly, "Have you seen your chin? You have no right calling my chin pointy when yours look like this."

A half grunt half whine escaped the younger's mouth, expressing his protest against the rough treatment. Kyuhyun shook the chin a little bit longer, before finally releasing it. Then, without any remorse, he proceeded to once again rest his chin on top of the younger's mop of dyed brown hair. In retaliation, Yesung reached up and get a handful of his brown hair at the side of his head and tugged. Just once, as usual, before he put his hand back down. Kyuhyun's lips twitched into a smile.

So he found the gesture cute, sue him.

In the end, it was once again Yesung's win. Though luck did indeed play quite a large role, because Ryeowook had gotten really, really unlucky with his tiles. Hilariously, his and Leeteuk's prize for betting on the right person was a signed copy of Yesung's photographs. Which, of course, then relegated to be sent to two lucky ELFs. Well, he could get Yesung's photo and autograph anytime he wanted anyway. But that was not a real prize, and it was so unfair of the production team to left him–and Leeteuk too, he supposed–without any rewards for a correct bet.

Ideas began brewing in his mind. All the way through the rest of the shooting and well after, when the seven of them are tucked around the table waiting for their dinner to arrive. The cameras were already off and everyone had relaxed.

It was almost the universe gave him their blessing.

"So Yesungie," He called, successfully catching the attention of the person that he wanted, the younger turning from the quiet conversation he was having with Donghae on his other side. A smile twitched his lips seeing the expectant face that the younger made at him, black eyes far too trusting. Their maknae was too adorable, whether he was meaning to or not. Kyuhyun smiled widely in return, "Where is my prize?"

Yesung just blinked at him. Slowly. Clearly confused.

"Your prize for what?"

Turning his body sideways so that now he faced the younger, Kyuhyun propped his elbow on the table. His chin on his palrm. Meanwhile, his smile grew just a touch sharper, "My prize for betting on the correct person, of course. Don't tell me you've already forgotten?"

If anything, the younger just looked even more bewildered, "But you already got it...?"

"That doesn't count! The photo goes to a lucky ELF anyway."

"Leeteuk-hyung doesn't protest."

Immediately, their focus shifted to where their leader was seated. Probably sensing two laser sharp gazes pointed at him, but most realistically hearing his name being mentioned, Leeteuk turned towards them. The oldest saw their expressions, grimaced, then promptly shrugged. "Leave me out of whatever it is that you two are bickering about," was all he said before getting distracted by their foods arriving. Which, unfortunately, also distracted Yesung from his argument. His, because their maknae absolutely refused to see his point.

Almost immediately, hands were reaching for chopsticks. And just as quickly, Donghae was putting some japchae onto Yesung's plate.

"I can serve myself, hyung," Yesung's voice sounded resigned, as if knowing that the one that sentence was addressed to was not going to listen to him. And he was right, because Donghae had gotten so concerned and worried when Yesung's weight had dropped so drastically a few years earlier. The dancer had since made it his personal mission that their youngest was eating enough every chance he got.

"I'm just worried, Yesungie."

Just like that, Yesung folded. Body slumping until he was leaning against Donghae's shoulder.

Sometimes, Kyuhyun really envied Donghae. This particular dongsaeng of his had always been able to easily express his worry, eagerly showing his care in an affectionate manner. And most importantly, Donghae had also always been the one that Yesung went to when the younger wanted some cuddles.

Meanwhile he himself...

"Yeah, when are we going to be able to see your chubby cheeks again?" His hands had reached out as he said his piece, fingers finding and squishing Yesung's cheeks, at the same time pulling the younger off Donghae and closer to him. A grin spread across his lips when the younger voiced his protest with a whine and those mini-sized hands reached up to try and pry his larger hands away. Yesung might be desperately trying to pull his wicked fingers away, but Kyuhyun was relentless.

Then something hit him right on the cheek.

"Hyung, stop bullying Aesongie!"

Eyes wide with disbelief, Kyuhyun turned his face towards the other side of the table where the culprit was seated. Hands still holding Yesung's cheeks hostage. "Hyukjae, did you just throw kimchi at me?"

"You're lucky I didn't throw something more solid at you, hyung."

"Why you– Hey!"

Something–or, more precisely, someone–pulled Yesung away from his grip as he was distracted by Hyukjae's antic. A pair of dark brown eyes narrowed, gaze piercing the smugly grinning visage of Lee Donghae, who had both of his arms around Yesung in a rather protective manner. Mood darkening, Kyuhyun felt his lips curling into a scowl. Donghae, looking utterly unrepentant, just pulled their confused maknae closer.

"That is cheating. You two gang up on me."

"It's you who started it, Kyuhyun-hyung," Donghae unapologetically rested his chin on Yesung's shoulder. Kyuhyun couldn't help but scowl when their maknae did not protest about Donghae's pointy chin. So unfair.

Fortunately–for Hyukjae and Donghae, that was–Leeteuk was of the opinion that they were getting too rowdy.

"Settle down you four," Leeteuk chided, hands busy piling a small mountain of food on his plate. Nonetheless, his voice carry a note of sternness that they all knew so well, "The foods are not missile, Hyukjae. Let us all just eat in peace." Hearing that, Kyuhyun–and really, the rest of them too–snorted. As if any time two or more of them got together could ever be described as peaceful.

Still, they obediently settled down on their own chair. Hands reaching for food, while murmur of conversation gradually started up once more.

Kyuhyun was–reluctantly–doing the same, when a hand reached out and fingertips graced his cheek. He turns, finding Yesung holding up a piece of kimchi. Hand that he swore made up of five little fingers put the sad piece of fermented vegetable onto a napkin.

"Your cheek is all dirty," The younger commented with a little frown.

Which, honestly, just the perfect excuse or him to lean closer and went, "Clean in up for me?" If he sounded just the slightest bit gleeful, no one had to know.

Yesung blinked at him. Rapidly. A few times. It was rather adorable, to be quite honest. Kyuhyun could feel the beginning of a smile tugging his lips, but whatever expression was about to take over his face was immediately halted, when Yesung was suddenly right in front of his face. The next second a pair of soft lips landed on his cheek, right where the piece of kimchi had previously landed. Then, as if it was not enough, a warm tounge lapped on the soft skin.

His brain had suddenly come into a halt. Or got broken because of overload. 

"There. All clean."

Their maknae, with not even a drop of any other emotion other than innocently cheerful on his smiling face, had not the decency to even blush. The younger then even had the audacity to go back to his meal as if he had not just kissed and then Kyuhyun's cheek.

A snicker was heard, and Kyuhyun glared when he found Ryeowook smirking at him from across the other end of the table. A glare that sharpened when he caught the words that was mouthed at him.

'Maknae on top, huh.'