The First Night

Polaroids

"He can room with me."

That was the sentence that save his fate, so to speak. The suppressing silence that followed the question of where he would be staying that night was telling. But that one sentence, just that one offer, told an unspoken acceptance. And for that, Kyuhyun would be always grateful.

Eleven other pairs of eyes followed his line of sight, settling on a pair of piercing black eyes. Kyuhyun let his sight roamed free, trying to recall what little he knew about the man who had just offered to share his dorm room with him, however temporarily. But no matter hard he thought, he could only remember the most basic of things. That the man's name is Kim Jongwoon, with the stage name Yesung.

The main vocal of Super Junior.

"I— Thank you, Jongwoon-ssi."

Jongwoon nodded, even as an arm suddenly appear to tug him closer to a taller male. One with just as piercing black eyes, that spared him a fleeting glance, before turning to stare at the slightly shorter male.

"You sure? He could be a snoring type. How would you sleep then?"

His brows furrowed, partly because he was rather offended. He did not snore, thank you very much. Another part of him, however, was curious. Out of all reason, the one that was chosen as an argument was that he might snore? Not that he'd be happy with a more serious objection to him rooming with Jongwoon, but this reason felt a bit... petty.

"If he does, I have a pair of earplugs. Do you?"

It took him a moment to realise that Jongwoon addressed the question to him. Which.. what?

"Do I... what?"

Jongwoon frowned at him, a baffled expression on his face. But before either of them could say anything, the hand that was gripping that slim shoulder snapped up to hit the side of Jongwoon's head lightly.

"Yah! Use your words, Woonie. No one would understand your half formed questions."

Jongwoon, unbelievably, pouted, "You don't have to hit so hard, Heebongie-hyung." Which earned him a roll of the eyes. Those black eyes then fleeted to him, "Do you snore?"

Kyuhyun shook his head, heart pounding with an unknown emotion. It was as if someone has reached into his chest and squeezed his heart, and the organ was now struggling to get away. It was mayhaps, perhaps, maybe, jealousy. These guys were already so comfortable with each others. Hands easily and almost reflexively patting each other shoulders or even cheeks. Nicknames were given freely. 

He never felt more of an outsider than right now.

"See? He doesn't snore. It's fine. Unless you don't want to?"

Again, Kyuhyun was confused as to what Jongwoon was asking of him. It sounded like Jongwoon had asked him whether he wanted to snore, which just did not make sense. No one could just choose to snore or not.

Heechul, still with his arm curled protectively around Jongwoon, rolled his eyes once again, "To room with him. Do you want to room with him or not?"

"Uh... sure," His voice sounded a bit rough, still rather intimidated by the rather pretty male. 

"Great," Leeteuk's voice made him startled, body jolting just the tiniest bit. Kyuhyun had forgotten that the other members of Super Junior was still there with the three of them. Dark eyes no doubt following the conversation religiously. Left hand gripping the handle of his large suitcase tight, he let his own eyes landed on the leader of the group that he was now a member of, "Everyone rest up. We have practice tomorrow, so try not to stay up to late. Kyuhyun."

He jolted once again, "Yes?"

"Jongwoon's room is upstairs. Come on," Leeteuk gestured to him to follow along. An unspoken order that he obeyed without words, stepping to walk side by side with the older man. "Upstairs is the hyungs' dorm, downstairs is the dongsaengs'." Leeteuk continued as they tracked the stairs, eyes staring right ahead. Wanting to make this night less awkward as possible, Kyuhyun just nodded. His eyes sometimes wandered over the two figures walking ahead of them, one still tucked under the half embrace of the other. Two heads bending low towards each other, speaking in low tones.

He ignored the clench that it caused his heart. Refusing just how different the two convesation is carried out.

"What year were you born, Kyuhyun?"

Tearing his sight away from Jongwoon and Heechul, he focused back on Leeteuk, "1984."

"Hm, just a year younger than me. Our dorm is the correct one for you then. Well, here we are."

While his legs moved on autopilot, his brain was spinning with that new information. He did not remember when the other members of Super Junior were born, nor did he remember their age order. But one thing he knew for sure, was that Leeteuk was both the leader and the oldest. And if he was only a year younger than him, then he was quite definitely one of the older members. 

Which was new.

He had always been the younger sibling.

"My room's this way," the soft, husky voice dragged his attention away from his little revelation. Eyes shifting, only to find Jongwoon now finally without his bodyguard. Kyuhun nodded, following the other man. Silent as Jongwoon bid his good night to the other members.

The room Jongwoon led him into was rather small, but neat. It would be a bit of the stretch for two people, but they would probably be rarely both in the room, so there's that. The glaring problem that he immediately noticed though, was that there was only one bed in the room. Something that his new roommate either still had not noticed or was actively ignoring. Instead, the black haired man was currently rumaging through the wooden wardrobe at one of the corners.

"I have no extra mattress."

Ah, so he did notice.

"But I do have an extra blanket. It's here somewhere, I'm sure."

Kyuhyun could feel resignment bubbled inside him. It's already too late for him to try do anything about it. Just for tonight, he would have to content himself with a blanket as a bed. Tomorrow he could try to get maybe an air mattress.

"Thank you. I really appreciate it."

An eye peeked back at him, "You could use the bathroom first, if you want. It's just around the corner if you take a right."

"I'd do that. Thanks."

Jongwoon hummed back, before returning his attention to the wardrobe. Following his new roommate example, Kyuhyun then proceed to claim an empty corner for himself. Quickly openning up his suitcase and grabbing some sleeping clothes and bathing essentials. With a near incomprehensible murmur, Kyuhyun took off. More than ready to go under the warm water and wash off all the lingering tension that clung to his skin.

When he returned to the room a few minutes after, it was empty.

Not yet knowing where the hamper or even anything is, he settled on putting his dirty clothes on the floor near his suitcase. There was a quite thick new blanket on the bed, no doubt the one that Jongwoon was searching for earlier. Taking it, Kyuhyun was in the process of spreading in on the floor a bit way off the bed when the same soft calming voice rang out.

"What are you doing?"

Kyuhyun turned, finding Jongwoon now clad in a t-shirt and sweats. Those dark brows were furrowing, piercing gaze eyeing the half-done job that would be his mattress for tonight.

"Um, setting up a sleeping place?"

"The bed's right there."

Kyuhyun gaped. Utterly dumbfounded. What was Jongwoon saying?

"That's your bed."

"Yes."

"So you should sleep in it."

"We can share."

He stared disbelievingly at the male who was now stepping into the room, closing the door behind him. His gaze shifted, taking a glance at the bed—the single bed—that was standing behind him before staring back at the main vocal of Super Junior. Eyes wide and lips sputtering.

"It's a single bed."

Jongwoon just looked at him as if he was stupid.

"I know. I've slept there before."

"We're two grown men—"

"Hyung."

That— that whine got him. Eyes wide, Kyuhyun felt as if his heart had just become lodged in his throat. In front of him, Jongwoon looked about ready to throw a tantrum. His eyes glaring and his arms crossing. Which would have looked scary, if only his lips weren't pulled into a pout.

"I'm tired. It's late. Can we please just go to sleep?"

It took him a while, but finally an agreement escaped his mouth. And then it took a little bit more moment to actually move, a bit taken aback by the positively beaming smile that Jongwoon had given him. Hand coming up to turn the light off, leaving the room to be bathed in the warm but dim glow of the nightlight.

"You can have the wall side. I tend to wake up from the quietest of sound anyway, so..." A shrug completed the sentence, while the owner of the voice climbed onto the narrow bed. Then, when he still did not move from where he was standing a little away, Jongwoon patted the space beside him on the bed. Piercing gaze nowhere to be found, now replaced by a doe-eyed stare.

Kyuhyun was bewitched. That was the only explanation as to why he did not protest more.

He would need to tell Leeteuk tomorrow.

But for now, he silently climbed over Jongwoon's stretched legs and into the side of the bed that he was assigned to. Forcefully, might he add. But really, he thought as he laid himself down on his back, letting the soft mattress embraced him and the blanket engulfed him in its warmth, this was not a bad first night at the dorm at all. Even if the warmth that inavoidably pressed against his side was a new experience, it was not entirely unwelcomed.

Now, if only he could actually fall asleep.

Perhaps it was the new surrounding. But no matter how long he closed his eyes, no matter how many times he shifted his positions, sleep continued to elude him. He was resigning himself to a sleepless night, when the body next to him suddenly sat up.

Opening his eyes, he was greeted with the sight of Jongwoon frowning at him. Eyelids low, lips pulled into a slight pout.

Kyuhyun had a really hard time imagining Jongwoon as one of the older members in the group.

"What's wrong?" He finally asked when seconds passed by without the other saying anything. 

"You're loud."

Uhm, what?

"I wasn't making any noises."

"You're shifting around. And sighing. It's loud."

Alright. Just. What the hell?

His disbelief must have been so apparent, because Jongwoon sighed tiredly, "I'm very sensitive to noises. Sometimes the hyungs' alarm clock wake me up in the morning."

"Like, from the other rooms?"

Jongwoon nodded silently, still looking faintly frustrated. Then, without any warning, the shorter male flopped right on top of him. Flailing limbs and all. Kyuhyun let out a breathy "Oof!", craning his neck so that he did not get a mouthful of soft black hair. Utterly bewildered, he peeked down. Realising that his new roommate was now effectively using him as a full body pillow, lithe arms worming their way around him in a loose hug. Which was just.. what?

"What are you doing?" There was a touch of hysteria in his voice. Understandable, seeing the situation that he found himself into.

"Sleeping. And helping you sleep."

Surely, this situation could not get any wierder?

"How is this helping me sleep? You're squishing me."

"I'm cuddling you. Everyone likes cuddle."

"Children, maybe. Not grown men."

"Hm-m. Sure..."

"You're falling asleep on me, arent't you?"

"Hm..."

"You're supposed to help me sleep, not dozing off youself."

"Mm..."

"Jongwoon?"

"...."

Kyuhyun sighed, wondering if this was karma from when he was bothering his older sister. Just. Great. Wonderful. Perfect. Just what he wanted. Not. But it wasn't as if he could go anywhere now. Jongwoon had, in his sleep, tightened his hug around him. Now full-fledged cuddling him as he had said earlier in his sleepy grumble. So, resigned to his fate, he closed his eyes. Hoping that sleep would still come to him nonetheless.

Which it obviously did, because the next thing he knew, he was woken up by something in his embrace wriggling. As if the thing in his arms was trying to escape. There was also a sound of muffled laughter from somewhere above him.

"It's not funny. Hyung, help."

The voice came from somewhere near him. Somewhere in the vicinity of his chest, to be more precise. That's... odd.

"You tried to cuddle with him, didn't you, Jongwoonie? This is your own fault then."

This one sounded like it came from a bit further, so that made more sense. 

"He had trouble sleeping."

"And you thought cuddling would help?"

Again, the thing in his embrace wiggled. Frowning, Kyuhyun tightened his arms. Trying to get whatever it was to settle. The chuckle did not sound so muffled this time. As if the owner had given up on trying to hide his laughter.

"See on the bright side, at least you have someone who is willing to cuddle with you from now on."

"I have Donghae-hyung for that."

"True."

Blessed silence. Feeling rather satistified now that there was nothing that was bothering him, Kyuhyun was ready to drift off back to dreamland. Until, that was, something was touching the area on top of his upper lip. Right below his nose. He tried to bat away the nuisance, but no matter how many times he batted it away, it came back every time. With vengeance.

Finally giving up, he opened his eyes. Only to be greeted by a pair of piercing black eyes that were far to close to him.

"Wha— Ow!" In his haste to get away and in his utterly startled state, Kyuhyun had forgotten that he was sleeping against the wall. And when he leaped back, he hit his head on the wall. Quite hard that he was sure there was a bump on his head now.

"Well that was quite the wake up."

Kyuhyun squinted up, finding Heechul grinning like a chesire cat. And far closer, was the concerned face of Jongwoon.

"Are you alright, hyung? I didn't expect you to react like that. You have nice philthrum, by the way."

He swore Jongwoon kept getting harder and harder to understand. And it was far too early in tihe morning to even attempt to. And so, voice still thick with sleep, the only thing that escaped from his lips were, "A nice what?"

"Philtrum. Nowhere as nice as Hyukjae-hyung's, of course. But still nice."

...what?

There was that blasted laughter again, then the sensation of a weight being lifted up from the mattress. Still rather disoriented, he struggled for a little bit until he finally managed to sit up. Hair disheveled but eyes alert. Standing right beside the bed, Heechul threw his arm aroung Jongwoon's shoulders. Just like how the older did the night before.

"And now that you've gotten your philtrum molested by our maknae, you are officially a Super Junior member. Welcome to the group, Kyuhyun. Try to be quick, else the food will be all gone."

With that parting words, Heechul then proceeded to drag Jongwoon out. The younger protesting all the while. He could hear, "I was not molesting any—" before the words became too soft and far away to hear. Now utterly and completely bewildered, Kyuhyun was left with many, many questions. Namely, what was that? And, Jongwoon was the maknae? Then why was he staying in the "hyung dorm" then? But, most importantly—

—what the hell is a philtrum?!


Author's note: There it is, folks. The first chapter. Tell me what you think? And if you have a suggestion on what I should write next, please don't be shy to tell me in the comments. Hope to hear feedbacks from you guys!