FIN

Love Frequencies.

A velvety voice echoed off the radio exquisitely, rich with good vibes and soothing words for whoever was listening. In the background of those soothing words played the perfect complementary instrumental, something to get your head bopping slowly and relaxed, something to listen to for hours while you kick back with your friends.

 

Hwang Yeji’s feet rested up the balcony’s railing while a notepad rested on her lap, the bustling life going on just below her, right in view. Her teeth anxiously chomped down the tasteless steel of the pen as she listened to the words of the gracious host, Shin Ryujin, on the radio. Late at night as well, around at two in the morning, starting just an hour before, and while Yeji felt her eyelids slowly crusting with that need for slumber, becoming heavier and heavier to keep open, she could not fall asleep yet. A melodious tone in Ryujin’s voice also did not help, it lulled the exhausted Yeji into the arms of morpheus, but she fought back just for one more minute, again and again, so she could listen to Ryujin.

 

It was hard hosting a show this late at night, but even more remarkable was getting as much listeners as she did. In the segments between the music, Ryujin lovingly read the messages, questions and answered the calls that came in. They weren’t abundant or overwhelming, but they were a handful for a show slotted to start at one in the morning. Yeji knew this better than anyone, as a host that once had the dreaded late night slot in her station. Now, she was more of the seven in the evening crowd, just when everyone is commuting back home, or at home preparing for the long night of adventures. Still, she could not forget how hard she worked in Ryujin’s position, so she felt compelled to listen.

 

Now, don’t be mistaken though. It wasn’t only admiration that had her staying up so late to listen.

 

“It’s nearly time to say goodbye, everyone,” Ryujin said with that smooth voice, not overly excited but still enthusiastic despite the hour. “Thank you very much for joining us once again. I’m always very grateful that you do -- even the grumpy old guy behind the panel in front of me is grateful, and you know how hard it is to make him smile.”

 

And then that soft, lovely laugh.

 

Yeji’s heart fluttered, a little bit, joining in with a soft giggle.

 

“Before I leave you with this beautiful tune, that I’m sure you will love, I received a little note in the break. I was unaware that my message to my so-called rival in another station actually reached her. Some of you may not remember but I made a silly comment in passing two nights ago,” Ryujin paused briefly with a soft giggle. “I was recalling a little party among other show hosts and DJs and I said that I believed Hwang Yeji was, in fact, not real, because I hadn’t seen her in that reunion.”

 

It was hilariously stupid, Yeji thought, but that didn’t stop people from flooding in with their jokes and conspiracy theories. Unaware that the very Yeji listened to the show and has left a few messages through an anonymous number.

 

“I got her reply right here, she said it this afternoon.”

 

Hours ago, Yeji received a text that her guest -- Lee Chaeryeong, local musician and a sweetheart -- read out loud as she broke into laughter. “Chaeryeong, since you’re there, can you tell us if Yeji is real? Cough twice if she isn’t.”

 

“Ah, seriously, you guys,” Yeji said in good nature. “I heard the broadcast they’re referring to, did you hear it?”

 

Chaeryeong, trying to recover from her laughter, simply said no and shook her head.

 

“They’re saying I don’t exist in reality, because Shin Ryujin didn’t see me at the party.”

 

“Ah, how embarrassing. But you were sick that day.”

 

“Right, right. So, now Ryujin thinks I’m not real.”

 

“That’s funny,” Chaeryeong snorted. “Will you reply?”

 

Hwang Yeji, with the lightness of the atmosphere and the fun broadcast, didn’t think of it twice. “I will do something even better. Shin Ryujin, let’s meet you and I. Check it, I invite you to dinner with my REAL money, in a REAL location.”

 

The inflection of Yeji’s voice made Chaeryeong laugh and clap, having to move the microphone away from her as she found this situation strange, but hilarious.

 

Looking back at that broadcast, Yeji blushed. At least, in the privacy of her own apartment, she covered her face and reprimanded herself for such a bold move! Was it rude? was it too little? Was it too confrontational? Where did any of that even come from? She had no answer to any of her questions, but she was waiting for one. She had been waiting all broadcast for this reply with butterflies in her stomach. And now, Ryujin spoke about it.

 

“Ah, seriously, the ever charismatic Hwang Yeji. Strange that we’re going to meet like this, right? But I’m not afraid, and I’m willing to go to the bottom of this conspiracy. I say, bring it on. I’ll meet you, and you better take me somewhere nice.”

 

Yeji’s eyes widened, she didn’t expect her to say yes.

 

“I think, if you want to arrange things, you can call Big Papa, which is a number a REAL radio show host should have on their phone.”

 

And of course, Yeji had to roll her eyes at the indirect tease, but welcomed it with big open arms. Just to make sure she didn’t forget, Yeji grabbed her pen and jotted down the instructions.

 

“Contact Big Papa, take her somewhere nice.”

And with a mischievous smile, she added.

 

“Cough twice when I mention Ryujin is real.”

 

After all, what’s a good hearted tease between two professionals?

 

Professional idiots that liked each other on the downlow.

 

Shin Ryujin thanked her favorite grumpy old man and left the studio after her show finished, and only after she walked outside on the quiet streets she felt the sudden jitters and butterflies overcrowding her stomach. It was like her boldness had worn off like adrenaline, and suddenly she realized -- much like Yeji -- what she truly said. Ah, but she was excited and could not wait! Despite feeling like it was a bit too much. Her phone was oddly still in her jacket’s pocket, but she eagerly awaited that text from Big Papa telling her that everything had been arranged. But that stillness made her even more anxious. 

 

The bus ride, usually quiet like this, was the perfect opportunity to see the distinct beauty of the night life in the streets, but Ryujin watched anxiously as the world walked and moved, but her phone was immobile. Rushing, her thoughts began to scream real loud. Insecurity tickled her, but she didn’t feel like playing with it, but it’s tantalizing arguments were one she couldn’t ignore. Ah, but would Yeji even be awake? Did she even listen to the show? What if she fell asleep and didn’t hear it? What if she didn’t want to, now that she gave it some thought later on the day? Was she going to have to sleep with the troubling thoughts in her brain, staring at the walls and windows trying to sleep?

 

Without realizing, her leg had started shaking. Ah, where was that coolness that she exuded everytime she was somewhere? It was funny, almost, how a crush could reduce Ryujin to a nervous mess just like anyone.

 

Her apartment door clicked open, the light switch flipped on with barely any noise, and her cat hopped from off the top shelf to rub itself on her leg tenderly, watching Ryujin get rid of her coat and set her bags down. 

 

Just when Ryujin melted into her couch, not even having undressed, slowly drifting to sleep, a vibration shook her entire body awake. She sprung up like she had forgotten something monumental, but it was just the phone in her front pocket tickling for attention.

 

 It wasn’t Big Papa, neither was it her DJ friends and not even her mother. Instead, it was an unknown ID, a foreign set of numbers and a proper introduction.

 

“Shin Ryujin? Big Papa sent me this number. This is Hwang Yeji!”

 

Now the cool Ryujin felt her heart truly racing.