End

Maternal Desire

Solar trudged towards her apartment. Year-end awards were coming, and as usual she poured her blood, sweat and tears into perfecting every performance, while at the same time recording videos for Solarsido and starring in Gamsung Camping. This day was beyond draining for her, and she couldn't wait until she could kick off her shoes and set off to dreamland right away, not bothering to change clothes or do anything else.

The light coming from the apartment informed Solar of the presence of another person in the house. Yonghee was on a business trip, and no thief could ever be stupid enough to turn the lights on while committing crime, and only three people had the key to the apartment, so it had to be her girlfriend who was bored like often and made herself home there. Just like she expected, the gifted rapper of the group was lying flat on the couch, switching between TV channels that were absolutely neither of their tastes. She didn't expect that the younger woman was still awake though.

- Byul-ah... - She softly called. - Why haven't you slept yet?

The latter jumped a little. It seemed like she was in deep thoughts. Moonbyul smiled, returning the older's chuckle when Solar saw her expression.

- I- I just want to wait for you. Are you tired? Come here with me.

She didn't have to repeat her words; Solar was more than ready to throw herself into Moonbyul's embrace on the comfortable sofa, dropping anything she was holding in the process. The familiar warmth radiating from her lover instantly made her loosen up, the exhaustion seemed to have faded away somehow.

Moonbyul gently placed her girlfriend's head on her lap and started her scalp and massaging her temples, pleased to see Solar relax as she continued her demonstration. She knew that practicing had been squeezing energy out of her these days, combined with schedules on variety shows which made her busier and gave her less time to take care of herself, so she was determined to spend all their time together on stuffing her lover with nutritious food to keep her healthy.

Being an insightful person, Solar tended to overthink about a lot of stuff. Moonbyul knew and related a lot because she did too. Both of them were in their U30s, either in Korean or international age, a milestone at which people would usually have got married and even have kids. The clip of Solar talking on today's Gamsung Camping episode replayed for the umpteenth time in her mind, it was also what made her awake until this time of day. Beside really hoping to be able to go to bed with her girlfriend together, what she said on air bugged her mind a lot, laced with her own guilt and pain.

- Yong... - She blurted.

- Yeah?

- ... Do you want to have children?

The older woman stiffed and in a second Moonbyul regretted having brought up this topic when the leader should be dozing off by now. 

- Oh, I forgot today is the new episode's broadcast schedule. So you must have watched it until before I got home, did you?

- ...

- I mean, most women will want to have children, won't they? Because our careers are still blooming, I will try to leave all these thoughts aside. It's just... whenever I go shopping or to the park or basically anywhere and see parents taking their children out for a picnic, families sharing conversations or participating in activities together, saying that I'm not jealous is a lie. I-I really wish I could experience such kind of happiness. 

Moonbyul felt her eyes sting with tears. Once again she really understood her feeling, as she also shared her sentiment. But future is not something we can control. Everything would be tough, especially with their relationship in such a conservative country like South Korea.

- Well, yes I watched it and it was very thought-provoking to me. We are both starting our 30s now, it's understable that you want to be a mother because so do I. Have you ever considered adpotion?

Moonbyul asked her, despite already knowing the answer. With their altruistic nature, any child adpoted by her will receive tremendous love from both of them; however, Solar had made it clear that nothing would ever beat the feeling of being pregnant and giving birth to her own flesh and blood. And somehow Moonbyul found herself a little heartbroken at the thought of their baby being unable to share both of their genes.

Wait a minute, why was she thinking about Solar's and her baby? She internally screamed since as much as she wanted to build a family with the woman in front of her, she feared that it was still too early in their relationship and she didn't know if the latter was ready to be her partner for life. Hell, she wasn't even sure if this was the appropriate time to think about such scenario.

Moonbyul snapped out of her trance when a thumb caressed her cheeks and wiped the tears that she didn't even know were falling. Her lover was looking at her concerningly, and she was sure that the older woman knew what was in her mind right now.

- You'll make me sad if you are thinking about being unable to give me a child like heteroual couples do. - Solar pouted, to which Moonbyul weakly shook her head in desperate denial. - You know you can't hide me anything. Look at me, love.

The rapper complied, staring right into her eyes. She surely wasn't a mind reader, but she swore she could see some kind of flame flickering in those pretty dark orbs.

- First of all, I have done some research on this matter, and well there're options for us to be biological mothers of our kids, namely in vitro fertilization and intrauterine insemination. There are even cases where both mothers carry the same baby for different amounts of time to be able to experience pregnancy also. Before I elaborate on this topic, Byulyi, I need you to hear the second thing carefully. Are you ready to listen?

The younger could feel her heart race like crazy inside her chest. Although somehow she thought she knew what Solar was going to say, she couldn't help but anticipate her words. Above all, Moonbyul would always be willing to listen to whatever her girlfriend told her. So she nodded, never tearing away from the other's gaze.

- Okay, so... - The singer fanned herself, suddenly nervous at what she wanted to say. - I know it's not only me who want to have a baby. Your evident tenderness when playing with your nephew, the loving gaze you show as you pass a playground full of children, plus everyone knows how family-oriented you are. So there's a thing I want to ask for your permission.

Moon Byulyi, do you want to be a mother? More precisely, will you be my child's mother?

Moonbyul's eyes went wide, and some moments later loud laugh erupted from her, this time it was turn for the older to widen her eyes.

- Haha... I'm sorry, please give me a moment... I know you are super serious when it comes to our relationship, so am I, but you are aware you just proposed to me, right?

- I am. - A hint of sudden realization was soon covered by overflowing confidence in her voice. Watching her lover nod firmly, Moonbyul's laugh soon died down, but her smile was brighter than ever.

- Yongsun, are you ready to welcome me as part of your family though? And are you ready to become a part of mine?

- You've always been my family, Byulyi. - She returned her smile. After all, the nickname Kim Byulyi was not something that appeared out of the blue.

- You and your realistic can never know what romance is. - Moonbyul joked lightly, trying to hold back her tears but miserably failed. Drown in sheer happiness, Moonbyul looked straight in Solar's eyes and declared:

- Yes, I will.

Three words, eight letters were enough to make the older woman burst into tears. Moonbyul was obviously startled; she didn't even choke and yet her lover - now fiancee - was already wailing?

- Oh thank God *sob* I-I d-don't have to *sob* apologize *hiccup* for receving blessings *sob* from b-both families before *sob* a failed p-proposal... 

Solar seemed to have been keen on surprising her recently.

- How confident! You even asked for our families' permission beforehand! - Moonbyul chuckled and tried to ; she didn't like seeing her cry for any reasons including happy ones.

- You won't dare to refuse my proposal, will you?

- Then may I take back what I said? - The rapper raised an eyebrow, smirking while expecting her lover to start whining or pleading or something like that to persuade her.

What she didn't expect though was Solar nonchalantly standing up and about to head towards her bedroom, words coming out from like lightning hitting right beside her ears.

- It's up to you. I contacted the hospital to prepare the procedure of choosing donors anyways, legal papers were already signed by me, just need your signature to complete the beginning part before moving on to discuss the egg donator among us and other stuff. Tsk tsk, looks like I have to offer this to someone else, how coincident that Sodamie has plans to do this in far future. I'm going to sleep, it's almost dawn now.

A strong arm reached out and grabbed her wrist, pulling her back to her place beside the younger woman.

- Okay okay I'm sorry, I'm just joking. Of course I'm going to take responsibility for my words. Who is going to get married with Moon Byulyi if not Kim Yongsun anyways? In addition...

She whispered to her ear.

- I just want to be your child's mother, my Ddunie.

Solar relaxed into the hug, smiling delightfully against her arms.

- Whose last name should our children be taken?

- They will all be my children anyhow, it's really up to you whether they are Moons or Kims. Oh I almost forgot, can you go into detail about what you were saying earlier?

Solar looked up at her and said:

- I read about some cases of artificial fertilization in lesbian couples. Many of them decided that one of the partners would donate eggs whilte the other would be the bearer, or only one would go through this procedure. Lately there have also been records about methods which allow the fetus, developed at about 18 weeks, to be transferred from the original carrier to the other partners for the rest of pregnancy. This way both of them can be included in the process of fertilization and pregnancy. Personally I think this would be the most suitable option for us, although the success rate isn't that high since not many couples can afford such a complicated procedure.

Making a mental note to update on news more regularly, Moonbyul was extremely amazed and touched at how detailed she was in everything she wanted to do, especially an important matter like this; moreover, the possibility of her being able to share the burden with her beloved was overwhelming to her. Staying in deep thought for a while, she then gently replied:

- I was thinking... according to current Korean law, only the one who physically gives birth to the child can be registered as his or her mother and legal guardian. What about me being the egg donor and you being the bearer, and our kid will take Kim as their last name? You will be the one to experience pregnancy most of the time, just like what you have hoped for all this time. Even better, both of us have our eggs frozen, and the roles will reverse for our second child, making them a little Moon, what do you think?

- I wouldn't trade it for the world. You know we are both still rising and active in our career right? 

- Of course. This is all going to happen in the far future, but I am willing to wait and I know you do too. Hell, I can even wait until South Korea decides to legalize same couples. As long as we have each other, I always have enough patience for such thing.

- Byul-ah... - She tearfully called her name. - Thank you so much for choosing me.

- Thank you too Kim Yongsun, for having been in Moon Byulyi's life.

Now, what could be a more perfect conclusion for such a conversation than a couple locking their lips in a deep, tears-laced, loving kiss?