gotta forget about it, you're my friend

shouldn't be thinking about you like that

Mina internally curses at whatever deity was out there for putting her in this situation.

She had foolishly thought that after Nayeon was done they’d be on their merry way back to the party but they are still in the bathroom, now sitting side by side inside the tube in silence.

If it had been any other day Mina would have found their situation funny, but she still is on the verge of having a breakdown every time she is near her best friend and can’t stop her heart from almost beating out of her chest or the symphonies playing in her head at the mere sight of Nayeon.

(Also, she isn’t as sober as she thought if her wavering self control is any indication. Every time she manages to meet Nayeon’s eyes she feels like she’s on the verge of just screaming “I’M SO ING IN LOVE WITH YOU, IM NAYEON!”).

You see, after she had washed her hands, Nayeon had the bright idea of sitting at the edge of the tube claiming she was tired from all the dancing and walking all over the place -the “chasing after you all night” went unspoken but Mina could hear it loud and clear in Nayeon’s pointed glare.

Mina was sure there would be a long line of angry people once they decided to go out of the bathroom, but who was she to deny Nayeon a few minutes of respite?

It didn’t last long though, as Nayeon lost her balance and went down into the empty tube, knocking her head and making her whine in pain.

Immediately, Mina jumped to her aid and tried helping Nayeon stand up, but the now giggling woman was not having any of it as she thought it would be funny to pull Mina inside with her.

And so down Mina went.

“Yah! Are you nuts?”, Mina groaned as she rubbed her back to which Nayeon only laughed.

After a little push and pull fight, both women settled to sit as comfortably as they could inside a tube that was clearly not meant to house more than one person. And so they end up sitting in silence, their heads resting against each other, both deep in thought.

Mina feels like she should say something, anything, as she fears that -even though the music from the first floor still echoes to the bathroom they are at- Nayeon would somehow understand from just one sigh the words she is so desperately trying to keep inside, that her treacherous heartbeat would sound so loud that in just one beat Nayeon would figure out it’s beating for her.

She is about to say something when Nayeon abruptly straightens up, her head turning to face Mina and looking at her right in the eyes, something heavy hidden behind her stare.

Mina’s breath hitches and they get lost in each other’s eyes for a moment before Nayeon speaks up.

“Mina…”, compared to her usual volume, Nayeon’s voice comes out as nothing more than a mere whisper, as if she was about to tell Mina a secret that was only meant for her to hear, something that was so forbidden not even God should be able to witness .

“...do you think I’m pretty?”

For a second, Nayeon’s question takes Mina by surprise.

There are so many things running through her mind and she gets tongue tied with all the words she wants to say, all the feelings she’s having right now that are ready to burst out into the open. Mina wants to scoff because of ing course she thinks Nayeon is pretty. But pretty is a word that falls short with how she sees Nayeon because obviously Nayeon is so much more than that and it can’t be contained in just one word.

To Mina -even before she had come to her realization-, Nayeon has always been a woman whose beauty is unparalleled, but she’s also someone that should be admired for more than just her looks as Nayeon is also one of the kindest person she knows, always willing to lend a hand to those who need it, a great listener and wise beyond her years, so charismatic that she charms people left and right without needing to, she’s also so incredibly smart that she could cure cancer if she tried to and she had such a great memory that she would always remember the little details, no matter how banal they seemed.

Nayeon was someone that made such an impact on everyone she met that she was recognized everywhere, from their university to the local supermarket, at least five people a day wherever she went would say hi to her.

There were thousands upon thousands of essays that Mina could write about Nayeon if she wanted to, she could write poems and songs that could immortalize for the generations to come of how great Im Nayeon was.

(Mina would later think to this moment and laugh at how whipped she truly was for Im Nayeon. But who wouldn’t?, she would think to console herself).

And right there and there, with Nayeon looking at her with something Mina can’t decipher while she thinks of how to respond, she feels like this moment right here is it.

Mina doesn’t know what it is but the air around them is charged, her palms are sweating and she her lips, still thinking about what to say.

The seconds pass and Mina still doesn’t say anything, still trying to make sense of the mess of thoughts going in circles inside her head.

Then Mina takes a deep breath just as Nayeon clicks her tongue…

…and poof!

In the blink of an eye the spell that surrounded them ends as Nayeon’s eyes darken and she lets out a small sigh as she runs one hand through her hair.

“We should get back to the party”, Nayeon breaks eye contact with Mina and stands up, leaving Mina dumbfounded.

What the hell just happened?, Mina thinks as she comes back to her senses.

She watches as Nayeon fixes herself in front of the mirror, her hands coming to the bottom of her dress to pull it back down where it had ridden up while they had been sitting and then generally fixing her hair and make up to make herself look not as drunk as she is.

Was I about to confess?, she puts a hand against her chest to try and calm her wild heart.

Mina can’t believe she was about to do something so stupid just because she lost herself in the moment, her friendship with Nayeon is one of the most important relationships in her life and if she loses it she doesn’t what would happen to her.

Mina vows to herself that she has to make her damned best effort to hide these feelings from Nayeon and just carry on as always, living with the painful knowledge that Nayeon will only see her as a friend.

But, as she sees Nayeon open the door and give her one last long glance before heading back out the party, why does Mina feel like maybe she had a chance and she just blew it?


did any of you catch the little reference to one of the most iconic ships in history? kudos if you can tell me which one is it uwu

hope you like it so far

disclaimer: all mistakes are mine, english is not my first language.

you can also find me on
tw: @anothershipper
tellonym:/anothershipper
☕: /anothershipper