HER: I Want Her (money)

HER

“What the was that?”

 

A cuss under her breath, full of conviction – it was the first thing that came out of Dahyun’s mouth the moment she stepped outside her classroom. Tzuyu and Dahyun just finished another written final exam that mostly consisted of what to do and what not to do with foods when [insert everything extra you can think of].

 

Being a culinary student had always been Dahyun’s dream aside from being a culinary master. A high dreamer, isn’t she? According to Kim Dubu (because she’s as white as tofu), if you are to dream, why not make it big then?

 

It feels good to, somewhat, live in your own bubble of fantasies, making yourself believe that, at some point in life, you will be where, who, and what you want to be.

 

But life does not work that way, does it?

 

At least most of the time.

 

Or just some?

 

Dramas and movies had always make it seem that after all the hard works in life, you will get there. You just have to hang in there, fight, and then you can achieve what you want.

 

Yes, it happens at times. We got to open our eyes though, that not every hardship is awaited by your dream in the end. Sometimes you’ll even be put in a place you never even dreamed of.

 

Dahyun never wanted that. She hates it when her plans won’t come accordingly to what she envishoned. Not until she heard of The Book.

 

“Now, why did I even study way past my year? I should be a level behind you!”

 

Tzuyu grunted as she and Dahyun walk along the hallway on their way to their next class, which is, fortunately, just a regular one for they already had their finals on that specific subject. Dahyun halted her steps, and so did Tzuyu who pulled a confused, why-the--did-you-stop-walking-unnie face.

 

The pale one looked at her with rather teasing eyes and brought out her smug look, saying, “Tzuyu-ah. Don’t act as if you were the one who made decisions for your life.” Dahyun then continued walking who was immediately followed by Tzuyu.

 

“We’re Asians, remember?” she added, “Parents decide for us.”

 

The young girl rolled her eyes at Dahyun, “Unnie, why are you talking as if your parents control you? They are giving you all the freedom everybody wants!”

 

“I want money.” Dahyun smirked, “Can they give it to me?”

 

Tzuyu rolled her eyes at Dahyun, “Well, you know in the first place that you never had to work for money because they already provide you .”

 

“You know what I mean, Tzu.”

 

The taller girl sighed at Dahyun, “You’re just stubborn, Dahyun-ah. Insisting to work for money even if you don’t have to?”

 

“But I want to.” Dahyun rebutted.

 

“Whatever.” Tzuyu rolled her eyes, “I hope you get picked by someone who would not give a about you and will just exploit your wholeness until you decide to pull out of The Book.”

 

Dahyun laughed at Tzuyu’s statement and said, “It’s Chaeyoung’s business. Why are you like that?”

 

“Because I hate you both.”

 

“Surprise!” Dahyun jumped to add drama to her words, “We feel the same about you.” Dahyun then laughed at her before picking her nose and then ran away to their classroom.

 

“Yah, Kim Dahyun!” Tzuyu exclaimed, forgetting the honorifics and years between them. “You’re so dead once Mina-unnie knows about this.”

 

Tzuyu entered the room and found Dahyun staring at the window with her head above her hand. “Well, at least, she saved me a seat.”

 

She’s like that good friend that gives you the assurance that no matter how late you are for your class, there will always be a seat reserved for you; that no matter how ed up you are or how many s you have to go through before reaching your end, there will always be that one pal who got you.

 

We all need that kind of friend, don’t we?

 

We all need our Kim Dahyun.

 

The younger one picked up Dahyun’s bag that was placed on the chair she saved for her and threw it on the ground, in front of the pale girl.

 

“Chou Tzuyu, what the hell?” Dahyun hissed, scanning her bag for dirt after picking it up.

 

Tzuyu laughed at her while settling on her seat. “Penny for your thoughts?”

 

And Dahyun reached for her pocket and did give her a penny.

 

A ing penny.

 

“A ing penny.”

 

No, it wasn’t a question asking why did Dahyun give Tzuyu a penny, nor a laughing sentence. It was just a plain, monotonous statement from Tzuyu who was covered with a flat face, causing Dahyun to let out a small laugh.

 

A laugh that did not really meet her laugh. And that was when Tzuyu knew something was up.

 

“Unnie, why? She asked. “You think you failed the exam again?” Tzuyu mockingly scoffed before she started fixing her hair, “Dumb problems.”

 

Screw you, Chou Tzu.

 

But Dahyun kept her mum, thinking she wanted to save her bitter words for she still have a long day to go. Ridiculous. Saving bad words for later?

 

Only Kim Dahyun; Kim Dahyun who sighed and plumped herself at the backrest of her seat. She did not utter any words. Instead she picked her pen from her pocket and played with it on her hand.

 

You know that spin-the-pen thingy? That one thing that drummers do with their drumstick. The very action of Kim Dahyun that gets the attention of people who thinks she’s hotter than the sun for just playing with her pen while pulling a serious look.

 

She then clicked her tongue and fixed her seat, leaning on the table with two of her arms supporting her upper body.

 

“It’s The Book, isn’t it?” Tzuyu asked, turning off her phone after texting her Mina-unnie about what kind of bullying Dahyun did to her. (She added a little more twist to worsen the pale girl’s image though). They are used to that kind of jokes anyway.

 

It is. It is about The Book.

 

Dahyun’s silence prompted Tzuyu to say, “Then why don’t you ask Chaeyoung about it?”

 

The older girl looked at Tzuyu as if asking, I thought you don’t want me to? which Tzuyu answered right away.

 

Does telepathy really exists within friendship?

 

“Look,” Tzuyu started, “as much as I don’t want you to do it, I really have no control of what you want to do in life. Unnie, I’m just here to support you all of your decisions. Either way, I will still be here when goes down.”

 

“Yeah?” was the only thing Dahyun can say.

 

“Yeah.” Tzuyu nodded and added, “Your parents aren’t even controlling you about what to do. Besides, I trust Chaeyoung.”

 

And Dahyun does, too.

 

So here they are at The Bar after an (awful) day at the university, seating on the counter with Jeongyeon prepping drinks alongside her bartenders and Chaeyoung just sipping on her beer.

 

She then asked, “What brought you here? I thought it's exam season?” even if she thinks she already knows the answer.

 

“You want The Book, don’t you?” Chaeyoung asked, “Or is it the hot babe that you handed a drink to?” Dahyun then shifted her gaze at Chaeyoung, brows furrowed and mouth agape.

 

No words were spoken, but the younger one knew right about that moment that Dahyun didn’t know about the drink and hot babe thingy, and how she and Jeongyeon basically tried to sell her off to one of their regulars who was enjoying her Friday night, well, last Friday with her friends.

 

Attempting to get away from her and sister’s trips, Chaeyoung spoke, “The Book?”

 

The Book.

 

Dahyun have been thinking about it the day after Chaeyoung told her about it. If she were too be frank, she barely knows anything about it aside having lists of people that can be paid to do what his or her client would like.

 

And Dahyun, for some weird reasons, got curious as to what would it be like to take care of people? Of giving them whatever they want?

 

Besides, she needs money. Lots of it, yeah? She would just be doing some sort of things and then voila! Money in her pockets. Money in her goddamn pockets. Although still kind of scared, she knows Chaeyoung will not just give her away to someone who seem to mean harm.

 

I mean, what would they want me to do? Cook for them? I study culinary arts. Be their girlfriend? Fine. Companion? I’m not a bad company either.

 

What more? ? Dahyun smirked at the thought. It’s been a while, but I am sure about my skills here. Not going to lie, I am kind of fed up with my fingers as well.

 

What the , Kim Dahyun? What the .

 

“What the , Kim Dahyun?” Chaeyoung called for Dahyun’s attention, “Are you even listening?”

 

They are now inside Jeongyeon’s office, about to discuss about The Book, after days, hours, and minutes of contemplating whether or not it is a good idea for Dahyun to just sell off herself for the sake of money even if, just like what Tzuyu said: her parents already provide .

 

It was just another thought that Dahyun shrugged off because even she knows that her parents will understand what was the reason behind her decision to join The Book.

 

“Ready?”

 

Dahyun nodded.

 

Ready.

 

And so Chaeyoung explained everything about The Book to Kim Dahyun. The young girl briefed the pale one about its rules and how it works – she told Dahyun about how there are different categories she can choose from as to where she would want to be a part of.

 

Whether she just wants to be a companion of someone who’s feeling a little lonely despite the lively vibe surrounding Seoul. Just come whenever your client calls and asks for your company, and then there will be money.

 

Money.

 

Being someone’s girlfriend is also one of the categories. Like just for a day… or two… or more – however long the client wants, really. The condition is just be a girlfriend, not a girlfriend who s. Just be that one that clients can bring whenever his or her friends are pressuring the out of them about having a girl. And then money.

 

Money.

 

However, Dahyun can also be that girl who s. She can only be a partner for a maximum of two weeks. Same goes with other categories as well. Two weeks as a companion or fake girlfriend, and then the client has to apply again for Dahyun’s service and wait for their booking. She can literally be having the best of her life and earn money at the same time.

 

Money.

 

But Dahyun can also choose the lighter work – like just be an assistant of some sort. Clients with tons of workloads often get their assistant from The Book whenever they do not want to hire someone because it means more money for them to pay, unlike getting someone from The Book that can even be scheduled. There are also some who are having difficulties finding someone worthy of the job, causing them to resort to The Book.

 

But since Dahyun really wants money, she chose everything – the last category.

 

The All-Rounder.

 

“Unnie?” Chaeyoung exclaimed, both her brows going upwards as if towards heaven, “You sure about that? What, are you running a ing orphanage that you need -tons of money?”

 

Dahyun just gave her a dismayed look, telling, you know why.

 

“Yeah, but…” Chaeyoung could only sigh before letting out a small alright, “I’ll put you on the list, unnie. I’ll just tell you right away whenever someone wants to book you.”

 

“You won’t just give me away to someone not trustworthy, right?” Chaeyoung shooked her head, smiling at her unnie. “Of course not, all-rounder. I’ll make sure you’re in good hands.”

 

Good hands. Good money.

 

                                                       ***

 

You know that friends-moment when your homie got hurt and was still hurting and you seriously have no idea when he/she will stop hurting and it seems like whatever pain she was feeling, you feel it too? Like, when it was her exam that failed, you feel like yours also got an F even if it was a fair B.

 

Awesome.

 

Or an instance when your dancer-friend went to audition, with all the enthusiasm and hope she’ll get in to her all-time favourite group but failed. And right there and then you felt like you were also rejected even if your knowledge in dancing only revolves around woah, the floss, and 2015 classics dab and nae-nae?

 

That.

 

That was what Momo felt like when Sana came knocking on her door at 2 o’clock in the morning, eye shadows smudged on her face and tears dried on her cheeks, telling that she doesn’t know what to do anymore after her break-up with her puppy love and boyfriend, now ex, of 3 long years, Suho.

 

Momo got no idea about what goes on with such relationship because she never been in one, but she was so sure that it hurts as much.

 

So at the bar, when Sana opened up about trying to reach Suho again, asking for another chance after being separated for almost a year now, she felt horrible thinking how Sana was so desperate for some love when the guy clearly does not want to give her any more of it.

 

“Sana-ssi, are you sure about that?”

 

It was Nayeon – the big unnie of the group and the fake maknae of the pack as well. Sana gulped down her vodka after slamming her glass on the table and said, “Sure about what, Nayeon-unnie?” mocking the older girl.

 

The latter rolled her eyes at Sana before sipping on her cocktail, knowing very well that Sana meant nothing about her mocking but to irritate the out of her.

 

“You know,” Nayeon made awkward gestures with her hand with her shoulders upward, as if trying to explain everything, “This Suho-get-back-to-me thingy?”

 

Sana smirked and said, “What’s not to be sure about?”

 

Yeah, Sana. Suho just dumped you for some random girl at the bar, who turned out to be not so random because it turns out he had had been doing s with her, eh? It’s not that big that the man you thought will love you for all eternity actually broke your heart right there and then, throwing away every single thing you’ve shared for the past three years.

 

What’s not to be sure about? Momo thought.

 

Jihyo faked a cough and called for the attention of the younger Japanese, trying to make her understand that this talk about Suho in the middle of a bar with all these lights and people screaming is something not to be taken lightly of.

 

“Jihyo, I am serious!” Sana whined.

 

Jihyo shook her head, “Why would you even want to go back to that guy? I mean, the last year of your relationship wasn’t the best either – you two were a wreck and he was just intoxicating the out of you. What’s there to run after, really?”

 

Goddamn, that hurt, Sana thought.

 

“Okay?” Sana raised her hand slightly in front of her facing the girls, “First of all – that was harsh.” Everyone nodded.

 

“Second, you are so right.” And then they laughed.

 

“And third, I don’t really know.” Sana added.

 

“What do you mean?” Nayeon asked with her brows almost forming a line.

 

“Maybe…” Sana sighed “Maybe I just miss the feeling of being loved?” she shrugged.

 

Momo laughed bitterly, “As if he was loving you so good, Sana-ssi, yeah?”

 

The best friend kicking in her and became one of those friends who are more bitter than the actual person that was involved in some and was the one who actually got hurt.

 

Yeah.

 

But Sana’s reason is understandable though. The girl literally grew up alone – from her childhood to her adult years, being the only child and a foreigner in a country she barely knew aside from being the home of kimchi, it must have been hard for her to find someone to make her feel home.

 

If she were to be frank, Sana knows to herself that her relationship with Suho wasn’t exactly the best one.

 

When in a relationship, it is expected that you and your partner should be more than romantic partners; you have to be each other’s best pal – a friend, company, a companion, or whatever it is. And most often than not, Suho and Sana acted like one for each other.

 

As a foreigner and a young CEO that was forced to face the world at such an early age, they did find comfort in each other. It just that the latter may have seen something more than a pal from another person, which was definitely not Sana.

 

The group fell silent – Nayeon thinking about what drink to get next, Jihyo trying to decipher what was being played by the DJ because she thought it was one of her go-to karaoke songs, Sana letting herself understand what Momo said, and Momo debating if she should spur out whatever the hell she had been dying to suggest to Sana.

 

Their little break was interrupted by the two girls in the counter and another two behind it. Seems like they are talking about drinks and girls and money; whatever it was, they were loud as .

 

But Momo’s sigh was louder. And Sana’s voice was the loudest when they all heard what Momo said aboutsana possibly wanting to try The Book.

 

"What do you mean The Book, Momo? Are you practicing sorcery of some sort?”

 

                                                      ***

 

Another week had passed, which means it’s another Friday night out with the gang for Minatozaki Sana.

 

Another night of seeing her friends, another night of drowning herself in alcohol, and another night full of shenanigans even Sana herself cannot explain at times (but absolutely loves it because it’s with her friends).

 

And maybe another chance for her to finally see that girl with the best nose in the universe.

 

They are now in the middle of the dance floor with red cups on their hands and Momo dancing the hell out of her soul, letting everyone know how much of a dancer she is.

 

Point taken, miss Hirai.

 

Sana smirked before lifting her cup and letting out a loud cheer to hyper herself and girls up.

 

The older Japanese calmed down with her moves and went beside Sana to bump her cup with the other’s, shouting a drunken, “Cheers!” before gulping down every last drop of their beer, both letting out a loud squeal after finishing their drinks with some liquid even dripping down the sides of their mouth.

 

She then leaned towards Sana’s ear and asked while wiping her lips and then Sana’s, “So, whatcha think about The Book?”

 

                                                      ***

 

Shoulders bumping, hips swaying, and loud voices revolved around The Bar during that very time, but Dahyun sees no fun in those. The pale girl just wanted to chill and burn the frigging seat with her bum, drinking the best mix Jeongyeon got out there.

 

Dahyun drank her way up slowly, letting her eyes still get a sight of what was happening at the dance floor while she leaned her back against the counter, her elbows supporting her weight.

 

She laughed to herself when she saw all bunch of what-nots on the dance floor – from people dancing out of beat to two (beautiful) girls, whose Japanese features are standing out, whispering to each other about… who knows?

 

Some things, maybe? Dahyun laughed at the thought.

 

Dahyun then turned her back, scratching the thought of when will she ever get laid like the two girls on the dance floor and faced the counter where Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung were standing. The latter walked her way towards Dahyun who was staring at nothing and Tzuyu who was busy talking to Mina over chat.

 

The youngest shifted her look at Dahyun and said, “Mina-unnie’s asking for you.” Dahyun slightly laughed and told Tzuyu to tell Mina she’ll beep her later.

 

The two’s small talk was interrupted when Chaeyoung, again, butted in, “Why do I feel like you’re gonna get picked any time these days?”

 

Kim Dahyun scoffed and shrugged her shoulders, “Good for me, I guess?”

 

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes at Dahyun with a small laugh, “Of course, you fool! It’s money, right?”

 

“Kinda nervous though.” Dahyun said, “What if my charm won’t work to my new boss?”

 

“Are you kidding me?” Chaeyoung (mockingly) exclaimed, as if surprised with her friend’s words, “THE Kim Dahyun? Worried about her charms? , you are literally the prettiest person alive!”

 

“And the most handsome too.” Dahyun added, earning a laugh from her best bro. Just as when Chaeyoung was about to answer, she heard someone calling her name.

 

“Chaeyoung-ah!” The blonde girl shifted her sight to the woman that was walking towards the counter.

 

“Momo-unnie! How are you? Are you alone?” Momo shook her head while smiling and waving her hands to tell Chaeyoung she’s with someone.

 

“I actually need to talk to you about something.” Chaeyoung raised her brows with a small smile. 

 

She then looked at Dahyun and Tzuyu whose backs are now facing the Japanese before looking back at the older girl and saying, “Okay.”

 

                                                    ***

 

The private room where Momo and Sana are in now is definitely like a taste of peace after spending some good hours out there; out in The Bar. Although they are still inside the premises of it, they cannot deny that this is like an entirely different place.

 

“Where are we?” Momo asked after some talking, saying that they had always been at The Bar and Chaeyoung may have not noticed her because of the lights and dark and all.

 

She then let her gaze follow Chaeyoung who just settled herself on the couch in front of her and Sana. The young girl then placed a book on the center table and then looked alternately at the Japanese in front of her.

 

“Jeongyeon’s office.”

 

Momo and Sana let out a small 'woah' realizing they are at the boss’ office and how lucky they are that they get the chance to be inside it. Momo must be close to Chaeyoung, Sana thought.

 

“So who’s looking for The Book?” Sana gulped and timidly raised her hand while Momo kept her mum, looking at her friend, thinking, 'I know you still got the taste, Sattang! Pick the best one out there.'

 

Chaeyoung then squinted her eyes, trying to take a good look at Sana as if recognizing her face before smiling and asking her name.

 

“Well then, Sana-unnie,” she smiled once again, “you are so in for a treat.”

 

Indeed, she was.

 

Sana had been flipping through The Book for some minutes now letting her eyes feast on the parade of good faces god Jihyo may have blessed her. While she was on her escapade of finding her money’s worth, Chaeyoung went on and on explaining the rules and regulations about the Book – the payments and the categories, as well as answering Sana’s questions.

 

“If I ever get my eyes on one, can I like, have him,” Sana rolled her eyes and chuckled, “or her, for myself alone? Say, more than two weeks? Because that’s the limit, right? And then I’ll have to book that one person again and wait.”

 

Chaeyoung nodded to the question, “Right.” Sana smiled, “But you have to pay double every time you meet, unnie, whichever category you pick. And it will also depend if our person would want that.”

 

Sana hummed in agreement before going on again with her visual feast, These are some insanely good looking lads and lasses, good lord, she thought.

 

“But unnie, you have to remember that whatever category you choose from, you cannot have a romantic relationship with our people.” Sana laughed.

 

She stopped flipping through it and looked at the young girl, “Don’t worry. I just need some company.”

 

Chaeyoung smiled at her before nodding and then asked, “Got someone?”

 

Sana sighed and then shook her head. “I am now on the last category though – the all-rounders.”

 

The young girl shifted to her seat and let herself leaned back at the sofa with her arms crossed and gaze at Sana, confident that her line-up will never disappoint.

 

And she was right.

 

Just after a few more flips, Sana stopped and bit her bottom lip. “I want her.” Sana said, eyes glued on the picture of a pale girl from The Book, “I want Kim Dahyun.”

 

The moment Sana saw Dahyun who was rocking a pink, tight dress while staring intently at the camera, she knew right away she was the person for her. First thing she noticed was her pale skin and how it was shining above all the colors she’d seen; she was glowing, to say the least.

 

And then her eyes; her mono lidded eyes that felt like a pool of gravity to Sana. Those pair of orbs that talked to her and, somewhat, took her soul from her in just a snap. For the Japanese, it was like giving her no choice but to choose her because missing her would mean missing out on what’s best out there.

 

And she was right because she even got the best nose she's ever seen (next to her own nose of course). Sana smiled while looking at Dahyun’s sharp nose, thinking and laughing to herself how she can even possibly slide down her beautiful bridge as if some rides in the pool. It was a sight for Sana to see that she just wanted to rub her similarly (but not quite, thanks to her beautifully unique sculpted bridge) pointy nose against Dahyun’s, thinking how the friction might bring comfort to her.

 

“But unnie,” Chaeyoung cleared , “you have to pay triple for her. Aside from she’s an all-rounder, she’s one of the—”

 

“I don’t care.” Sana butted in while slightly shaking her head, still not taking her eyes off the girl in the picture. “I don’t care. I am certain I’ll get my money’s worth.”

 

Kim Dahyun.

 

***

 

I'll try to update next Friday at 7PM. I just finished my last requirements for the semester and I guess I can now say I'm done? Your girl really made it through a year of online learning *cries* Anyways, too much for that. Thank you for waiting. Just hang a bit more and we'll get there!