The Great Pretender I

Jiminjeong One shots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everybody puts up a show. Do you know a great pretender? Or are you one?

--

Jimin's POV

College was hard. 

Everone knows this but.... Why the did I have to be a greedy and join the student council?

Jimin was mulling over her life choices while looking at her exam paper who has been waiting for her to fill in for about half an hour now.  She didn't get to review that much for their major quiz since the past few days have been busy for the members of the student council in preparation for their intramurals.

Curse Aeri for putting her into that!

Aeri was her childhood friend who, unfortunately, is also her classmate. They were currently juniors in a private catholic school. Aeri was confident and hard working so it was no surprise for us when she had been recruited to be the next student council. What surprised Jimin was that the next day, she was being ushered into every hotel and restaurant management course students and was being asked to give a speech so that they would vote her as their peace officer. I mean, I can't even have inner peace! So in the end, she got the position;most probably because the other party's contender was absent and partly also because of her beautiful face (rumor says, heh)

--

"I'll probably flunk my management accounting this sem. I have to buy a more effective alarm clock. I just broke the latest one." Jimin complained while they were in the headquarters. They were curently printing the guidelines and other needed documents for every activity they planned. There were also other people, aside from the student council, helping on making the props. 

"Didn't Byeongkwan wake you up?" 

"We're not going out anymore."

"What? I swear that's the 3rd guy already and it's not even half the semester yet!"

"Yah, Kim Aeri! You're making me look like a player to the others."

"Aren't you?" Aeri teased.

She glared at her friend. "I didn't even say yes to the 2! I liked Byeongkwan but I'm just not ready for a serious relationship right now." She explained, making sure the others heard. They were pretending to be busy with their work but were obviously listening to their conversation. God knows what absurd news she'll be hearing again about her tomorrow. College students were as nasty as any media outlet could be. 

"Too bad. He was a nice alarm clock." 

They got immersed with their work that they didn't realize it was already late until the guards were making them leave. So they all went into groups, hurdled close together and not looking at the sides in fear of seeing the infamous ghosts of the campus. Jimin was hiding behind Giselle's back while Ningning, a sophomore who they got close to since she was a year level representative, was clutching the president's left arm. 

It was just a few steps from the main gate when Ningning screamed. "Oh my god, is that a white lady?!"

Jimin was a scaredy cat but she was also a curious one so she stilll peeped.

Ningning was pointing at a lady that was sitting along the benches. It didn't help that the place she was sitting on was dark and the only lighter thing we could see was her white outfit that consist of... is that a shirt and jogger pants? The girl also had a light complexion and a long hair from what she could decipher. Giselle pulled them closer and the girl stood up.

It had been a long time but is that...

"Minjeong? What are you doing here?"

"You know the ghost, unnie?" Ningning asked the president.

The "ghost" stepped closer to them and revealed a blank looking Kim Minjeong.

Jimin could only just stare.

"Mom said to pick you up. I've been calling your phone." Her voice was as icy as her look.

"Oh sorry I didn't get to check my phone. I was going to hitchhike with the others but okay. Let's just go with Minjeong, Rina."

Upon the mention of my name, Minjeong turned her cold gaze at me for a second. It was only a brief second but damn that stare was worth a bucket of cold water in the morning; it was very awakeningly cold. 

Thanks to Ningning who whispered, "Are you sure she's your sister? I'm scared of her." The sister's gaze shifted.

"Minjeong, this is Ningning, a friend. Ningning, Minjeong, my sister."

The "ghost" only nodded to Ningning and said, "I'll wait for you in the car."

"Don't ever let me meet your sister again, unnie!"

---

The following days, Jimin has been seeing Minjeong more and more as the latter has been picking up Giselle from the school. She found out that their Dad ordered Minjeong to live with them here in Korea for a while. She will be transferring to our school and will be a sophomore medical student in the coming semester. As for the reason, they just said that there was a situation and it would be best if she stayed here first. Minjeong was Aeri's younger sister who lived with their Dad in the USA. The three of them had been childhood friends. Minjeong was actually Jimin's favorite sister when they were young. (Don't tell that to Aeri) But one day, the younger one just started not talking to her. Then their parents got separated and their Dad got full custody of Minjeong while Aeri was left with their mom. They didn't talk ever since.

The days when Jimin would hitchhike with the 2 sisters, she would always secretly observe the younger. Since most of the rides were awkward as hell because the said subject was really hard to talk to. Minjeong had always been reserved; an introvert. But she was quite talkative when she was speaking to them. She was also sweet and could be a little handful since she's quite clingy with her. It was very different from the Minjeong she sees now;she was cold and distant. If Jimin was being honest, she'll say she misses her Mindeongie. She sighed dejectedly. There were times when she wanted to start a conversation with the younger one but one look at that blank face and all her mustered confidence was already flying to the air.  But Jimin's not the only one struggling though.

"How are you with Minjeong?" Jimin asked Aeri one time when they were eating lunch in the cafeteria.

The other girl sighed. "Honestly, she's a lot of work. I've been trying to reach out to her but she has built this really thick wall and I don't know how to get through. My mom's even having the worse time. What should I do, Rina?"

"Maybe it's too soon for her since she just came back. Let's not pressure her into things. You know how she has to adjust to new things."

"Yeah, maybe that's it. I'll just wait for her to be ready." Aeri l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter