Chapter 7

Sancta Terra

I recommend listening to Tides of Time by Epica while reading the last part of the chapter for dramatic effect

But Ruth replied, “Do not urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people, and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the Lord deal with, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me.

Ruth 1:16-17 (NIV)

December 4, 1985 AD

Just like Chanyeol told Baekhyun the day he found The Scriptures, Chaeyoung could read the ancient dialect. In her years of rebellion after she was kicked out of Heaven, she’d taken it upon herself to learn the rarest of dialects. A strange way to go against the system, but it was so...Chaeyoung, that Baekhyun simply found it endearing. 

As the only one who could read the dialect that Chanyeol and Baekhyun trusted, she took it upon herself to check The Scriptures. Meanwhile, Chanyeol continued to work with the rebellion to bring order to the universe after Baekhyun’s imbalance.

And Baekhyun? He remained confined in bed. His entire body ached still from the strain it went to and sadly, with each day that passed, he could feel the chaos inside him slip closer to the surface. He would get fevers more frequently and his bones would reshape several times a day. It all left him exhausted and wishing for death. 

After suffering for thousands of years, he was finally free from the shackles of The Elders. But at what cost? Images of the two times Hyunjin died would attack his mind constantly and he couldn’t stop himself from crying out in pain. No matter how much his existence changed from that point forward, the grief and the guilt that lived in his heart would never cease to exist. If anything, it seemed like it only got worse with every day that passed. 

His precious son, the seed of the love he shared with Chanyeol, had been tortured and brutally murdered in front of his eyes twice. And Baekhyun was unable to do anything about it on either of the occasions. He had to watch his baby from a distance, live lives of misery and pain only to be mocked on his deathbed. 

Hyunjin’s deaths were Baekhyun’s fault. No matter how many times Chanyeol told him it wasn’t the case, Baekhyun couldn’t stop himself from feeling the guilt consume him to the pulp. The pain that resided in his soul, accumulated from centuries of wrongdoings and regrets, burned like nothing ever did. No punishment inflicted on him, no breaking of the balance could compare to just how tortuous Hyunjin’s had been. Those were his biggest regrets. 

Baekhyun wiped his tears away and took several deep breaths. He didn’t want Chanyeol to see him in such a distraught state. He didn’t know when exactly Chanyeol would return, but knowing him, it could at any moment. He’d been gone for hours already, discussing The Scriptures with Chaeyoung and Baekhyun figured they should be finished soon. 

Baekhyun sat up on the bed and took a deep breath. He could use a warm bath. Even if moving was difficult, he could still manage to do it by himself if the distance he walked was short. He was patient with himself getting out of the bed. His movements were calculated and slow so as not to cause himself more pain than he already felt and he moved across the floor with hesitant steps. One foot after the other, he gave himself time to reach the bathroom. There was no rush and he didn’t have to worry about what The Elders were planning to do next. For once, he could truly give himself the chance to relax completely and let go of the burdens that constantly weighed him down. 

The realization brought tears to his eyes. After everything he went through, he finally found the peace he’d always been craving for. What saddened him most was knowing that this reality would be short-lived. Sooner or later, the chaos in him would be unrestrained. He felt it deep in his heart that he didn’t have much time left. It just seemed...implausible for it to be possible to cleanse a soul that has been broken so badly to the point that it put the well-being of The Source at risk. 

He didn’t like thinking about that, but it was the reality that he had to accept. He didn’t have much time with Chanyeol, which was unfair because all he’d ever wanted was to be able to love Chanyeol properly. But fate had never been kind to him and he had long learned to accept it. 

As he lowered his weak body into the warm water of the bathing pool, Baekhyun sighed and closed his eyes. He used some oils he found that reminded him of Chanyeol, so the water completely engulfed him with the scent he’d learned to love so much. His comfort and love. His safe place and his home. His precious Chanyeol, the moon to his sun, the sky to his stars...his everything. 

Baekhyun really loved Chanyeol and he wished he would’ve been given the chance to show that love properly. If only they could have had a normal life as mere mortals with their son Hyunjin. Boring job trips on the weekends, and adopting a dog sounded so beautiful to Baekhyun. After everything he went through, that kind of existence seemed like paradise to him. A haven that could never compare to the beauty he was surrounded by in Heaven. 

Maybe someday, if The Source was kind to him, his wish could come true. Wouldn’t that be lovely? Baekhyun chuckled at himself. He sounded so silly to himself, dreaming of something that could never happen to him. 

Baekhyun threw his head back and closed his eyes. He sighed and started to hum a beat he once heard on Earth, a slow song that spoke about love and devotion. The kind Baekhyun and Chanyeol felt for each other, but that they’d never been able to show properly. It made peace settle in Baekhyun’s heart to think that at least someone out there could live the life Baekhyun had always wished for. 

Baekhyun stayed in the water for what felt like hours and he was sure he’d even fallen asleep at one point because when he woke up, he was being wrapped in a towel. He opened his eyes and noticed Chanyeol was drying his body with the gentlest of touches. 

“Hey,” murmured Baekhyun with a loving smile.

Chanyeol returned the smile, but Baekhyun noticed how it didn’t reach his eyes. “Hello, sleeping beauty.”

Baekhyun cupped Chanyeol’s cheek and ran soothing circles on the smooth skin with his thumb. “Why are you sad, Chanyeollie?”

Baekhyun saw Chanyeol gulp. “Let’s get you in bed first, yeah?”

Baekhyun agreed and allowed Chanyeol to carry him back to the bed. Baekhyun was going to put on his clothes himself, but Chanyeol beat him to it. Not that Baekhyun was complaining. He loved it whenever Chanyeol pampered him. 

Still, the sadness in Chanyeol’s eyes remained and Baekhyun’s heart grew tight at the sight. As soon as he was under the bedsheets, he took Chanyeol’s hand and squeezed it. “What’s going on?”

Chanyeol sat at the edge of the bed and sighed. “Chaeyoung found something in The Scriptures about how to...fix you.”

Baekhyun felt his heart stop for a moment. “She did?”

Chanyeol nodded. From the way he was acting, Baekhyun instantly knew it couldn’t be anything good. “What did she find?”

Chanyeol took a deep breath before he met Baekhyun’s gaze. His eyes were filled with tears and Baekhyun instantly knew that his gut feeling was right: there was no easy solution for the situation and whatever it was would probably be painful. “Back when The Creator first created The After from The Source, he trained two beings to become The Chosen. He taught them how to keep the balance under control and how to ensure that The Source wouldn’t go awry once again. It was going well until…”

Baekhyun placed his free hand over their intertwined fingers. “Until what?”

“The Chosen of Evil broke and...she went through the same thing you did. She nearly destroyed The After, so The Creator and The Elders had to look for a solution to balance the chaotic energy inside of her before it was too late. They hoped to be able to rebind the connection broken inside The Chosen and bring her back to her previous state, but nothing they did worked. No solution was long term so…”

Baekhyun remained silent to allow Chanyeol to gather his thoughts. “The Creator eventually realized that the only way to save The Chosen was to return her energy to The Source. He tried with her full consent, but it didn’t work. The Source rejected her energy, so in the end, The Creator came up with a solution.”

Baekhyun sighed as he understood what Chanyeol was implying, but he didn’t interrupt. He wanted Chanyeol to fully explain his point. 

“Purifying the energy, much like they were doing with the souls. They tried several methods, the usual ones, but none worked, until The Chosen herself proposed something else. What if she entered Tophet willingly and surrounded herself with the chaotic energy of The Good that it stored? There was an outrage, but her soul was already at war. Perhaps the only form of controlling it was to add that chaos into a violent source of energy that was more powerful than her own. Everyone opposed her proposal but in the end-”

“She did it.”

Chanyeol nodded. “Yes, she did it. She entered Tophet herself, she walked right into the crater.”

“And it worked,” said Baekhyun. 

Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun with tears running down his cheeks. “It did. It purified her soul and her energy returned to The Source.”

Baekhyun took a deep breath to process what Chanyeol had just revealed. It was tough to wrap his mind around it, but for some reason, he didn’t feel scared or troubled by the thought. While burning alive in a pool of molten lava didn’t sound like a pleasant way to end his existence, it didn’t seem nearly as bad as the centuries he’d survived on a day-to-day basis, unsure of what the future would bring. 

It even made him feel peace in his heart. He would finally be able to rest and his energy could return to The Source, where it would once again become part of the universe. His existence would be but a memory and his story would be passed down from generation to generation of Celestial Beings. 

It didn’t sound bad at all. 

“When do I do it?” He asked. 

Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun in shock. “Y-you’re willing to walk into the biggest and most violent volcano in the universe?” Asked Chanyeol horrified. 

Baekhyun smiled and tilted his head to the side. “There’s no other way, Chanyeol. And I’m not going to put my well-being above the survival of The Source. No matter how much fate has played me dirty, I’d never dream of causing any more despair to the creation. It wouldn’t be worth it.” He giggled. “Besides, the thought of finally resting sounds very tempting.”

Chanyeol studied Baekhyun’s features for a moment. Baekhyun knew it was hard to imagine that anyone would willingly subject themselves to such a gruesome ending, but it was for the best. And he hoped Chanyeol understood that.

“Are you sure about this?”

Baekhyun nodded. “Yup, I am. This is what I want.”

Chanyeol wiped away his tears with his free hand and nodded. “Alright then, I’ll go with you.”

Baekhyun widened his eyes. “What? You can’t-”

“I won’t leave you alone. Where you go I go. And if you decide to enter Tophet, then I’ll follow right behind you. I won’t let you do this by yourself.”

Baekhyun knew it would be useless to argue against Chanyeol, so he relented. He nodded and pressed his forehead against Chanyeol’s. “I love you, Chanyeollie. I always have and I always will.”

Chanyeol smiled. “I love you too. Forever and always, my heart is yours alone.”

They sealed their exchange with a sweet kiss before lying down together, wrapped in each other’s arms and enjoying whatever time they had left together. 

Even if their time was now ticking towards its ending, Baekhyun felt peaceful because at least he would have Chanyeol by his side until he took his very last breath. 

That was more than he could have ever asked for. 

++++

December 11, 1985 AD

The days that followed were utter chaos. Kyungsoo and Jongin, the next in line to become The Chosen, stepped up into the position the day after Baekhyun and Chanyeol announced the decision they made. The ceremony was quiet and quick due to the state of the universe, but the happy couple didn’t seem to mind. 

Or the fact that they would now be in charge of rebuilding the hierarchy that would ensure the well-being of The Source. It seemed like they’d discussed on countless occasions what changes they wanted to make when they became The Chosen. And with The Elders gone, they had complete liberty to fix what was broken without the interference of the tyrannical group. Of course, all done under the supervision of all the Celestial Beings, who would now be closely involved in all the decision-making to avoid the thirst of power to consume anyone in particular. 

The Scriptures were now up for public display, just like The Creator intended from the start. Their word was to be shared with the masses and his vision was to be followed by every Celestial being in the universe.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun tried to be as involved as possible, but their time was so limited that they opted to remain on the sidelines. They did take their time to discuss matters with Kyungsoo and Jongin. By the time their conversation was over, Chanyeol and Baekhyun wished the happy couple nothing but the best in the new journey they were embarking on. 

“I hope The Source blesses both of you for the centuries to come and that the time you remain as The Chosen will be kind to you the way it wasn’t with Chanyeol and me,” said Baekhyun as his parting words. The couple accepted the words graciously and thanked Baekhyun profoundly for his wishes. 

On their last day together, Chanyeol and Baekhyun took a warm bubble bath first thing in the morning. Baekhyun was still too weak to move around freely, but Chanyeol was always there to help him. Wherever Baekhyun went Chanyeol followed. They didn’t want to stay apart from the other. Not when their time was limited. 

Baekhyun leaned his back against Chanyeol’s chest, his eyes closed and a soft smile on his lips. “Is it weird if I tell you that I’m not scared?”

Chanyeol kissed Baekhyun’s temple. “No, I don’t think so. I understand. After everything that happened, it’s understandable.”

Baekhyun turned his face to the side. “If fate will have it, I hope we reunite again in another life.”

Chanyeol pecked Baekhyun’s lips. “Maybe then we will get the happy ending that we couldn’t have in this one.”

Baekhyun chuckled. “Call me crazy, but considering the circumstances, I couldn’t have asked for a better ending than this one.”

“Well, when you put it like that…”

Baekhyun started giggling. “I love you Chanyeol. Even with everything we went through, know that I never regretted loving you the way I do.”

Chanyeol nuzzled Baekhyun’s cheek with his nose. “I would go through all of it again for you, too.”

Baekhyun closed his eyes. “Thank you.”

They stayed in the bathing pool until the water turned cold. Then, they helped each other dress in formal suits. Baekhyun’s was white and Chanyeol’s was black to represent Heaven and Hell, a white rose from Baekhyun’s garden in Chanyeol’s chest pocket and a black rose from Chanyeol’s garden in Baekhyun’s. If they ever got married, Baekhyun imagined it would’ve been in an attire similar to the ones they chose. They got ready together until they deemed each other perfect. 

And then, Chanyeol carried Baekhyun in his arms down the hallways of the castle for one last time. Chanyeol left his pace slow so they both could study the familiar walls for one final time. The place was gorgeous and in an alternate lifetime, perhaps these walls could’ve been witness to their love. 

At the entrance of the palace, a small group of people were waiting for the couple to arrive. Chaeyoung stood at the front with Sehun, Junmyeon, Yibo, Jackson, and Yixing standing behind her. To one side were Kyungsoo and Jongin to wish the couple a safe farewell and to give them their blessing for what was to come. 

The Chosen led the way down the busy streets of Hell and everyone they came across extended their respect and farewell to the couple. Baekhyun felt touched by the gesture. It had become evident to everyone that Baekhyun and Chanyeol shared more than a friendship, and everyone had been accepting of it. And respectful too. No one meddled and instead congratulated from the distance.

Despite the peace, Baekhyun felt in his heart, the tense sadness that covered the entirety of Hell was slightly suffocating. Baekhyun appreciated the sentiment, but he wished no one felt sad. This was for the best and Baekhyun had long accepted that his time had come to an end. 

It would be better to rejoice with the blessing that would be bestowed upon him and Chanyeol. Finally, after thousands of years of sorrow, they would break free from the chains that bound them back and suffocated them. 

But of course, grief didn’t work like that. Baekhyun knew that better than anyone

By the time they reached Tophet, Baekhyun felt his heart full with the amount of love and appreciation that he and Chanyeol had received. He looked at the small group of beings that accompanied them into taking this final step and felt blessed. 

Fate hadn’t been kind to Chanyeol or him. They’d had to endure a lot of suffering and even the short-lived happiness they got, in the end, was bittersweet. But at least they had others who helped them get through the hardships and gave them a final reprieve of happiness. 

Baekhyun would always be thankful to them for that. 

“Thank you for everything,” said Chanyeol. 

“We will forever be grateful for everything you did for us,” said Baekhyun. 

“Perhaps we will meet again in another life,” said Sehun. Baekhyun noticed the tears in his eyes and felt the first twinge of pain of the day. Sehun had been such an unconditional friend for so long. Baekhyun could only imagine how he must’ve been feeling at that moment. 

“I hope so,” said Baekhyun. “Please live well and don’t get in trouble now that we won’t be around.”

Sehun guffawed. “I promise I’ll behave, dad. You don’t have to worry about me. “

Baekhyun chuckled but didn’t add anything else. “Take care of Chaeyoung for me,” said Chanyeol. 

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes. “I can take care of myself.”

Chanyeol shrugged his shoulders. “I’m not taking it back.”

Chaeyoung stepped forward and hugged both of them tightly. “I’m going to miss you so much,” she murmured. “But I’m glad that you’ll finally find the peace that you’ve wanted for so long.”

Baekhyun felt tears prickle his eyes. “Thank you, Chaeyoung.”

She nodded and stepped back. 

Chanyeol looked down at Baekhyun. “Are you ready?”

Baekhyun nodded. "As ready as I'll ever be."

Without saying another word, Chanyeol turned around so they could face the volcano. Tophet stood tall and intimidating, with its rivers of lava flowing down its sides and tufts of sulfuric smoke dancing into the sky above. Baekhyun thought it was beautiful and despite the agony his body and his soul were about to go through, Baekhyun wasn't afraid. If anything, he was excited. Not for the burning touch of the lava, but for what was to come after. 

With a smile, he snuggled closer to Chanyeol and held on tightly to the back of his neck.

Chanyeol started the long trek up the side of the mountain while Baekhyun looked one final time at the group of friends that had been there for them until the final moment. He allowed himself to cry, but his tears weren't of sorrow. No, they were of joy and he hoped they understood that. He smiled as brightly as he could for one last time and waved his goodbye.

At the end of his journey, he had been truly blessed.

With that final thought in mind, he turned his gaze forward and kept a smile on his lips as the crater of Tophet drew closer. 

"I love you, my moon," whispered Baekhyun.

"And I love you, my sun."

Meanwhile, from the foot of the volcano, Chaeyoung watched as her beloved brother and the love of his life slowly disappeared in the distance on their journey to start all over.

She couldn't deny that it pained her to think that she wouldn't see Chanyeol anymore. They were twins, brought together into the universe to battle fate side by side. She didn't know what would be of her with him gone.

But it was for the best.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun had suffered enough as it was. It was time for them to finally get the happy ending they always deserved.

"They'll be okay. We don't have to worry," said Sehun as he lay a hand on her shoulder. 

Chaeyoung smiled through her tears. "I know. Life will be kinder to them this time."

And deep in her heart, she knew that statement to be true. They'd earned their happy ending, and while they couldn't find it in this lifetime, Chaeyoung was sure that the next one would be much better to them.