Chapter 2

Sancta Terra

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 

1 Corinthians 13:13 (NIV)

March 26, 1985 AD

Baekhyun was sitting on a bench in his personal garden, made of pure white granite with intricate spirals that formed the well-formed design of roses that matched the white flowers that filled the area. It was a bright day, the shine of The Core casting its light over the entire Realm of Good. The soft wind blew through the long, silky strands of Baekhyun’s snow-white hair and made the rose bushes that surrounded him sway gently.

He looked beautiful, ethereal under the pure light that engulfed his pristine form. He was the definition of perfection, the living image of pureness that could only come directly from The Source. His features were soft, his lips rosy, his skin without blemish, and his figure sculpted with utmost care.

But his eyes...held a sadness that never faded. The weight of his duties lay on his shoulders, a burden that had been assigned to him from the moment he was born from The Source. And his heart remained broken, always bleeding because of the many scars that he’d acquired and had failed despite the thousands of years that had passed.

Most days, Baekhyun felt like a shell, a carcass filled with an everlasting sadness that all his energy and vitality like a blackhole. He lived in a constant nightmare, trapped in the loneliness of paradise as time when by and he held no control of what was to come. Because God gave man free will, but God himself wasn’t free.

And that was the biggest irony of them all.

Baekhyun sighed, his eyes still stuck nowhere in particular, lost in thought as the pain that constantly flooded him raged a war inside his body like a monsoon.

He was exhausted.

Baekhyun would never admit it, but despite the hurt, it caused him to know his time was nearly over, the idea of his agony coming to an end soothed his aching soul. Eternal rest seemed like a gift by that point, one that his entire being craved for after an eternity of torture.

The company didn’t take long to appear and put an end to his train of overthinking. Of course, Baekhyun didn’t mind. Especially since the guest was Sehun, a good friend from his younger days, back before he became The Chosen of Good.

Sehun was tall, with sharp features, deep-set eyes, and long black hair that he used in a tall ponytail that fell down to his waist. He used black robes and carried around a scythe with a blade made of dark onyx. As the Grim Reaper, he didn’t actually look like the character the beings from Earth had created to represent him, but he liked it a lot. Said it made him look cool and scary, so he’d donned the style proudly. Baekhyun couldn’t fight that logic since he really did look good.

“I should’ve known you were here,” said Sehun as he took a seat next to Baekhun, his dark attire contrasting greatly with the white of Baekhyun usually wore. “But I listened to Junmyeon and instead went to look for you to The Fountain of Life.”

Baekhyun chuckled. “Or maybe that was just an excuse so you could spend some time with Junmyeon.”

Sehun gasped. “Wha- Baekhyun, please. Not so loud, someone might hear you.”

Baekhyun tried his best to keep his smile under check. “Forgive me, Angel of Death. I didn’t mean to expose you,” said Baekhyun with mirth.

Sehun glared. “You’re mean.”

Baekhyun chuckled under his breath. “How have you been?”

Sehun sighed. “I’ve been fine. Busy, as always. The new recruits are going to give me gray hair, I swear.”

“Be patient with them. They’re still learning,” said Baekhyun.

Sehun rolled his eyes. “You’re God, of course, you’re patient. But I’m not, Especially when they make stupid mistakes. Tell, how is it possible that a new recruit confused an entire week of deaths and sent all the souls to Hell? Imagine Chanyeol’s reaction when he found out. And who got yelled at by that idiot? Me, of course.”

Baekhyun chuckled. “I’m sure it was an honest mistake. And Chanyeol...he has a bad temper, but you can control it easily.”

Sehun sent Baekhyun deadpanned look. “If I speak…”

Baekhyun smiled sadly. “Why are you here, Sehun? This is the third time in two weeks that you’ve come to visit.”

“What, I can’t come to see a dear friend?” Baekhyun simply stared at Sehun with a raised eyebrow. Sighing, Sehun shook his head. “How do you do that?”

Baekhyun shrugged. “I’m God.”

Sehun shook his head. “I’m God,” he imitated Baekhyun with a mocking tone. “Anyway, I’ve just...been worried about you. You look…more tired than unusual.”

Baekhyun felt his heart twist at the confession. He always tried to keep his emotions under control. He hated the idea of anyone worrying about him because...Baekhyun was actually trying to accomplish the opposite. He was supposed to protect them from the sorrow and the cruelty that fate dealt him. He was the savior, the light, the way, and the truth, and such, his task was to keep everyone safe. But of course, he had to fail at something so simple. He couldn’t hide the fact that he was suffering...and that angered him.

“I’m doing well,” replied Baekhyun, still trying to hide his true condition. He wouldn’t admit anything no matter how much Sehun asked.

Sehun sighed. “Why am I not surprised by the answer?” He asked. “I won’t ask about it anymore, but I do want you to know that I’m aware and I will continue to come to visit you every here and there.”

“You shouldn’t have to,” said Baekhyun, though he knew it was futile. “You’re busy enough as it is.”

Sehun shrugged. “It’s no big deal. Besides, it’s a good distraction. Sometimes even the Angel of Death needs a break.”

Baekhyun smiled. “I can’t fight that logic,” he said. “You’re always welcome to visit.”

“Thank you, Baek. I appreciate it,” said Sehun. “Even if you said I wasn’t, I’d still come, but it’s nice to know my presence is wanted.”

Baekhyun chuckled. “I wouldn’t expect any less from you.”

Sehun nudged Baekhyun’s side gently with his elbow. “I’ll keep you updated on...you know who.”

Baekhyun shook his head. “Why, thank you, Grim Reaper. I guess I’ll owe you.”

Sehun shrugged. “Just doing my duty as best friend.”

“Thank you,” said Baekhyun, his eyes stuck on his slender fingers. “Thank you for coming.”

“You’re welcome,” said Sehun. “You won’t get rid of me so easily, Mr. God.”

“Oh no, the tragedy.”

Sehun kept teasing Baekhyun for the following hour. He always knew how to keep Baekhyun distracted. Baekhyun appreciated it. It was always nice to have a glimpse of light in the never-ending darkness that consumed him constantly. Sehun had always been a good friend and Baekhyuun couldn’t thank him enough for everything he did for him and Chanyeol. He would be eternally grateful.

“I’ll come to visit as soon as possible. I promise,” said Sehun. Baekhyun wanted to stand up and accompany out, but he was unable to. And while Sehun didn’t exactly know that, the look in his eyes told Baekhyun he understood.

“I’ll be waiting,” said Baekhyun. Then, he took a deep breath. “Tell Chanyeol to take care of himself,” he added, stopping himself from continuing with ‘and that I love him.’ That would cross the line.

Sehun bowed to Baekhyun before he turned and walked away. Baekhyun watched him until he stepped inside the palace. And even then, when he was already gone, Baekhyun continued staring ahead. He got lost in thought, the soft wind ruffling his silky hair protecting him from the universe that continued to be cruel to him.

Now that Sehun was gone, Baekhyun found himself falling back into the endless blackhole that constantly consumed him. The guilt that was ever-present came back to attack him with a vengeance until he felt breathless. He tried to hide it, of course. Even if he was alone in his garden, he was always being watched there. Eyes were always stuck on him and that knowledge was unnerving. Baekhyun hated being seen while losing control of himself.

As such, he struggled to stand up from the bench, his body aching relentlessly. But he didn’t show it. He wouldn’t give them the pleasure of knowing just how much of a toll what they did was taking on him. He kept his expression stoic as he walked down the rock path, the rose bushes becoming a mere blur in the background.

He kept his pace slow, his feet taking one step at a time carefully. He made himself seem calm, even if sharp stings of pain consumed him. He was used to this, he’d learned to hide how he truly felt through the thousands of years that his fate had remained like that. He’d gotten used to this, to hide his true emotions and thoughts. To keep himself under check.

He paid no heed to his surroundings. He concentrated all his willpower on hiding the agony he was in. He couldn’t afford for anyone to know what was happening. No one could be aware of what Baekhyun had to constantly endure. It was battle that was his only.

He allowed himself to show any emotion when he arrived at his personal bed-chambers. Once the heavy double doors were closed, he fell to the floor as the agony of his injuries hit full force. Tears fell down his cheeks as whimpers fell from his lips. He clawed the floor with his slender fingers as prickles of unbearable pain took over his entire body.

On his knees, he crawled towards the bathing chambers at a slow pace. Cold sweat dampened his skin as he moved his body. It was hard. His limbs were stiff from the injuries and the pain made it near impossible to move properly. He could feel his vision darkening and his breath becoming more and more labored. But he didn’t stop. He kept going, determined to prepare himself a bath.

By the time he arrived at the bathing chamber, he felt faint, weak. But he didn’t give up. If there was one thing he still had left, it was his dignity. No matter how insignificant, he wouldn’t let go of that. It kept him from feeling even more pathetic or useless.

Inside the bathing chamber, Baekhyun held onto the edge of a stool and supported his body so he could get up on his feet. The strain hurt, but that didn’t stop him. He’d been able to walk on his two feet from the garden to his bed-chamber, he could move around for a while longer. He had to.

He made his way to the full body mirror to one side and stared at himself. He looked terrible...ill. His skin was ghastly pale and his hair was matted to his forehead because of the sweat. Tears dampened his cheeks further and deep, purple bags painted his lower eyelids. His full lips were chapped and dry, with deep cracks along with the soft tissue.

Very slowly, he raised his arms and grabbed his outer white robe. He pushed the fabric off his shoulders very gently, the silky fabric too harsh on his injured skin. Even that mere movement, so slow and insignificant, hurt greatly, but that didn’t stop him.

His chest looked jarring. Red scars still in the healing process marred his skin all over it. The unblemished skin was irritated, inflamed, and heavily bruised, with a myriad of purples and greens painting the surface. Baekhyun didn’t have to look at his back to know it looked worse. After all, that part of his body was what got the worst hits.

Baekhyun took off his pants the same way he did his robe, the fabric tighter around his thick thighs, which created more friction. The sting was terrible, but it ended fast. He stepped out of the pooling silk at his feet and stared at his legs. They, too, were deeply hurt with welts that caved deep into his flesh.

No one knew of this. Only the culprits, The Elders, were aware of his injuries.

Baekhyun was used to them. He’d been enduring these punishments since he first took his position as The Chosen of Good. It was a way to keep him under control, The Elders would often say as they hit Baekhyun with special wipes and flogs made from the strongest materials formed from The Source. Regular materials wouldn’t hurt Baekhyun enough.

Discipline him, Baekhyun corrected in his mind. As The Chosen of Good, he had a strict set of rules he had to abide by. God was meant to be good, a God of love, of purity. Sin was prohibited to him and every time The Elders believed he overstepped his boundaries, punishes would be given accordingly.

Most times, Baekhyun didn’t understand why he was being disciplined, but it didn’t matter either. Baekhyun couldn’t question The Elders if he didn’t want the punishment to be worse...and for others to face consequences too.

Baekhyun would never allow that. His burdens were his and he would rather lose his own life before he saw anyone else paying for his mistakes.

He made his way to the bathing pool and lowered his body into the warm water carefully. The water was soothing on his aching limbs. Wb,e it stung, it was also relaxing. He closed his eyes and reveled in the peace that he was finally able to dive into in his solitude, in a place where he knew no one would see him.

Baekhyun continued to cry as he allowed the remnants of his strength to leave his body. He was exhausted from everything. Of his existence. Of the punishments. Of the endless darkness that ate his soul. Of the guilt that consumed him every second of the day. Of the memories and of the hopes of everything he couldn’t have.

But he couldn’t stop himself. Not when everything that caused him the pain was also what kept him alive. Because he was a shell, empty and devoid, a carcass filled with The Source.

And his existence was soon to be over.

++++

June 13, 1985 AD

Chanyeol had long gotten used to the way time seemed to slip by endlessly. Since he took his place as The Chosen of Evil, he’d stopped perceiving time like others. To him, it was meaningless, a blur in the grand scheme of things. He worked in automatic, his body moving along like a robot programmed to perfection to complete its tasks.

To think that eight thousand years had passed since he’d gone to live to Hell. Since he was forced to get used to the screams of terror and the roars of pain that constantly filled the air of Hell. The stench of sulfur and burning flesh invaded his nostrils to the point that he rarely perceived it anymore.

His eyes once used to see the beauty of light and nature had no adapted to the never-ending darkness of his realm. Red clouds, painted with the shine of the lava rivers that crisscrossed Hades and the magma that boiled in the various volcanoes that surrounded the main city of Hell, moved at a gentle pace up above. To think that he shared the same sky with the rest of the universe, but his realm was elsewhere, secluded into space where the souls filled with The Evil Energy of The Source spent their time to receive punishment until they were purified and ready to return to The Source.

Somewhere else, a portal away, was Heaven, a paradise to reward the souls filled with The Good Energy of The Source before they were to be reborn. Heaven, where his love was, suffering by himself, surrounded by beings that didn’t care much about him.

It broke Chanyeol’s heart to think about it. He had Chaeyoung, who always had his back, but Baekhyun didn’t. Chanyeol knew for a fact that he kept everyone at arm's length, always a comfortable distance away. For what reason, Chanyeol didn’t know, but he could imagine. And every possibility his mind came up with seemed more horrific than the other.

Baekhyun didn’t tell him much with his words, but his eyes said enough. Chanyeol understood that there was a lot he didn’t know or understand, and the uncertainty of what it all could be was a constant source of stress.

Chanyeol shook his head as his eyes remained stuck in the distance, on the tallest volcano found in Hell, Tophet. Only the evilest of souls would drown in its crater. It was said that they were so impure only the high temperatures could completely purify them.

He’d always been fascinated by it. By its majesty. It was imposing, standing tall and proud on the farthest corner of Hell. Rivers of scorching lava flowed from its crater constantly. It was one of the only places in the universe where The Source lived with such intensity. Despite what many thought, Tophet was actually filled with The Good. Tophet, along with the remaining three volcanoes of Hell, where the spots in the realm where The Good was kept to balance the heaviness of The Evil.

“I wonder why I always find you and Baekhyun looking at the distance dramatically like in those movies humans love so much,” asked Sehun as he leaned on a spot next to Chanyeol on the balcony railing.

Chanyeol chuckled. “Hello, Sehun. It’s nice to see you too.”

Sehun waved his hand dismissively. “Oh please, we’re past the formalities, Chanyeollie.”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “Don’t call me like that.”

“Yeah, yeah, I know. Only your Baekhyunee can use that nickname,” said Sehun with a mocking tone.

Chanyeol glared. “Shut the up and tell me why you’re here.”

Sehun whined. “Why are you always so mean? I’m going to tell on you.”

“Stop acting like a baby,” said Chanyeol, a small, amused smile touching his lips.

“Stop acting like a baby,” said Sehun mockingly. “Anyway, I’ve been visiting Baekhyun as you asked.”

Chanyeol’s smile erased itself instantly. “Something’s going on, right?”

Sehun nodded. “Definitely. He always denies it, but I know better. There’s something he isn’t saying. He tries to act strong and most of the time he succeeds, but I’ve noticed his face twisting sometimes when he moves.”

“They’re torturing him,” affirmed Chanyeol.

“I can’t confirm it as of now, but it seems likely,” said Sehun. “It wouldn’t surprise me either.”

Chanyeol felt a wave of rage fill his body. His hand, formed into a tight fist, hit the obsidian railing of the balcony full force. The rock cracked under the force. “,” he growled. “I always ask, but he…”

“Yeah, he always lies. Expected coming from him, even if it’s considered a sin,” replied Sehun. “I would love to help him out more, but my time in Heaven is always limited. The Elders are always watching his every move and visitors are monitored closely. I have to keep my time with him brief or we could both get in trouble.”

Chanyeol nodded. “I know,” he said. “You’re doing enough as it is. I’m very thankful.”

“But it's not enough,” said Sehun.

Chanyeol shook his head. “It isn’t. But there isn’t more you can do.” He sighed as tears welled in his eyes. “Eight thousand years of this and I haven’t been able to do anything to help him.”

Sehun sighed. “You couldn’t even if you knew. The Elders have him so closely controlled, aiding Baekhyun is damn near impossible.”

“Still,” said Chanyeol. “He’s-” The tears in Chanyeol’s eyes fell down his cheeks. “He’s everything to me, Sehun. And knowing that he’s suffering while I stay here, doing nothing, kills me inside.”

Sehun patted Chanyeol’s shoulder. “I understand, Chan.”

“If there was...a way to put an end to this…”

Sehun sighed. “I’ll keep checking on Baekhyun. We’ll find a way,” he said, though his voice didn’t sound too convincing. He knew as well as Chanyeol how unlikely it would be for them to save Baekhyun. Their chances were low, especially when The Elders held more control of The Source than they ever could.

Even when Sehun was long gone, Chanyeol couldn’t stop himself from drowning in the despair that had taken over his soul. To imagine the difficulties his precious Baekhyun was going through...it burned him.

He took a stroll down his personal garden, an exact replica of Baekhyun’s up in heaven, except that where Baekhyun’s was white, Chanyeol’s was black. Chaeyoung had gifted it to him, so Chanyeol could feel closer to his love.

She’d once been an Angel of Light, A Celestial Being of Good. She was the balance to Chanyeol’s evil, his sister, his other half. But she’d broken the rules, she’d slipped into Hell on several occasions, eager to keep Chanyeol updated about Baekhyun’s condition. But The Elders found out and in their anger, they banished her to Hell, where she was supposed to receive severe punishment for breaking the rules. But of course, Chanyeol didn’t allow it. Instead, her ‘punishment’ was to be his servant, though, in the end, she was far from that.

As such, in her brief time in Heaven, she had the chance to visit Baekhyun’s garden and thought it a good idea to make one for Chanyeol. But Hell wasn’t light. Hell was evil, darkness, despair. As such, she built a garden with the opposite coloring.

It was the perfect gift. It was a beautiful place where Chanyeol could lose himself for hours. He couldn’t feel Baekhyun’s presence the way Chaeyoung hoped, but it was enough to make him feel slightly...connected.

He sat on the black marble bench he often found himself sitting on. He touched the petals of the black roses surrounding him. They felt soft to the touch, velvety, and perfect. Their beauty reminded him of a younger Baekhyun, one full of life. Tenacious, fierce. He loved to tease and laugh. Chanyeol could still remember his giggles and the way his eyes shone under the light of The Core, full of joy and love.

It had been so long since Chanyeol last saw that. It hurt to think that the Baekhyun he knew was long gone due to the horrible deeds caused by The Elders. Lost was that happiness that had engulfed Baekhyun so beautifully…

The thought broke Chanyeol’s heart.

If only he could do more for Baekhyun. If only he had the strength to save him and protect him.

But his options were nonexistent. Null.

The pain only intensified. He found himself unable to breathe, his chest tight with a burning pain that was ripping his heart to shreds. Tears fell down his cheeks as his body shook at the knowledge of the evil destiny that was bestowed upon them. So unfair. So cruel.

If only...their fate was different…

If only…

The Elders weren’t so cruel and heartless…

Then maybe, Chanyeol could’ve loved Baekhyun freely. No pain. No torture. Just a joy so pure that they would both live in endless bliss. Together. Until they took their last breath.

++++

July 5, 1985 AD

Baekhyun hid behind a tall column, dressed in a blue robe, his appearance disguised to look like a regular celestial being previous to their assignment of duty. His hair was black and short, his features were bleak and sharp, and his lips were thin, beautiful, but far from his usual plump ones. No one could know he was there. After all, he’d broken the law.

The punishment would be severe. Baekhyun was sure of it. But he was used to it. There wasn’t much he could take. Besides, he was sure The Elders knew he would do this as soon as they gave him the news.

Baekhyun could be predictable sometimes. The Elders had known him long enough to see what he would be capable of doing. He was always curious, eager to see the universe under his ruling. He liked to learn and experience firsthand what The Source had given to others. f

So it wouldn’t come as a surprise when The Elders found out he’d broken yet another rule. If he was going to get punished, it might as well be for something worth it.

And worth it was.

Baekhyun stared with bated breath at the couple in front of him. They looked youthful, full of joy... In love the way Baekhyun and Chanyeol once were. The thought was painful.

Baekhyun would always love his Chanyeol, but fate wasn’t kind and they were doomed from the start.

Baekhyun saw in this couple a new beginning. The hope that weighed in young, unscarred hearts. Still so naive, untouched by the cruelty of the universe. But sadly, much like Chanyeol and Baekhyun, these young celestial beings had a dark future ahead.

Kyungsoo and Jongin, the youthful couple he was watching, were set to become The Chosen of Evil and The Chosen of Good in due time. Their love, like Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s, had an expiration date that was fast approaching.

The thought broke Baekhyun’s heart. If only he could do something for them. If only he had the power to save them from the torment that awaited them. Much like Baekhyun, Jongin would be controlled severely by The Elders, punished fiercely with repetition.

And Kyungsoo? He would have to suffer in silence, unsure of the truth, but aware of the pain that his beloved Jongin would have to endure.

Tears filled Baekhyun’s eyes. He saw the lovely couple exchange secret kisses in the secluded garden they were in, their time together protected by the confines of the stone pillars that surrounded them. They were blissfully oblivious of the future that awaited them, their hearts still warm and full of the pureness The Source filled them with from their inception.

Baekhyun backed up from his hiding spot and walked down the busy streets of the In-Between. He paid no one any attention, too caught up in his own thoughts and feelings. As always, he hid his emotions well, keeping a stoic expression at all times. Not that anyone would notice. He’d turned himself into someone who wouldn’t call anyone’s attention. Someone who could blend in the crowd...the same way he’d once been in his younger years when Chanyeol was the only one who could find him amongst a crowd of beings.

He took his time. He was in no rush to return, yearning the brief liberty that was granted. He needed the distraction.

By the time the coloring of The Core turned darker, much like the sunsets experienced on Earth, Baekhyun knew it was time to return.

With a heavy sigh, he opened the portal and traveled to Heaven. As soon as his feet touched the familiar ground of his realm, his appearance returned to his usual, his white hair long down to his waist, his clothes as white as snow, and his lips as rosy as a rose petal under the brightness of the shining sun on Earth. He walked down the path of his personal rose garden, enjoying the last minutes of peace he had left.

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, his nose sensing the sweet smell of his white roses. He let the wind play with his hair, swaying it back and forth in its gentle breeze like the touch of a lover. He studied his surrounding, his droopy eyes shining with the beauty of nature that held him in its gentle embrace.

He walked with ease, his steps careful as he closed the distance with the palace ahead. A palace made of diamond windows and amethyst walls. Floors of fine quartz and a throne of white topaz. A beautiful place, but empty, devoid of love and warmth...of joy and any sense of happiness that could fill it.

Instead, its walls had been the witness of endless crimes. Of unspeakable tortures that had plagued Baekhyun’s soul for thousands of years. Baekhyun’s agony bled from those amethyst walls like a poison that had infested every crevice without mercy.

He trotted down the hallways ignoring the angels that passed him. No one paid him any mind. He was invisible to them, a ghost trapped in the beauty of paradise.

It was better like that. None of them could stop what would happen next. None of them could do anything for him, to put an end to the misery that had consumed Baekhyun’s existence for so long.

Baekhyun approached the closed double doors of the chamber he’d come to know so well. He opened them and stepped inside without hesitation. He stepped into the wooden tarima in the center of the chamber and got down on his knees. He closed his eyes and leaned his head down.

He smiled gently, his mind stuck in the memory of those he loved. He thought about Chanyeol, of his touch and his presence. Of his smile and the kisses they’d shared. He continued to smile, even when The Elders entered the chamber and reprimanded him for his sin. Baekhyun kept the image of Chanyeol alive in his mind, vivid and beautiful as his skin was hit. He didn’t let go of the one who meant the most to him as his body was battered, broken. He remained strong and silent as blood flowed down his limbs and spots of purple and green painted his skin.

He kept himself tall and proud as he was beaten over and over until his flesh was raw from the hits. He kept himself strong as The Elders reminded him of his mistakes. Of the endless sins he’d committed. Of his lust. Of his desires. Of his lies. Of his guilt...oh that guilt that ate at his heart with every day that passed by as memories of him filled his mind. His heart ached at the thought of the secret he kept hidden for so long.

Yet even then, when his heart and his body cried in merciless agony, he continued to smile as he mouthed his love for Chanyeol with his chapped lips. Tears slipped down his cheeks, the only sign of the overwhelming emotions he was feeling. The only sign he was willing to give The Elders about his misery.

He cried in silence as his body was taken to the limit until he fell to the floor and his blood stained the quartz flooring of the hidden chamber.

And when The Elders left, bidding their farewell with mocking reminders of what would happen if he continued to misbehave, Baekhyun remained on the spot, his eyes stuck on the wall as he continued to think about Chanyeol. Yet this time around, he wasn’t smiling or mouthing his love. No, this time he was apologizing...for all his mistakes. For the secret he kept the one that continued to eat him alive. The reason why his sister was exiled and why Baekhyun had rejected Chanyeol’s numerous advances and messages for centuries until he dared to finally face him.

The secret that continued to burn his soul like sulfuric acid.

He continued to apologize as he crawled back to his bed-chamber. The hallways were empty, all because of The Elders who always made sure to hide their punishments. Baekhyun cried as he entered the bathing pool and begged for forgiveness as he sunk under the warm water that engulfed his body.

If only there was a way for Baekhyun to let Chanyeol know. If only Baekhyun could atone to his biggest sin and confess the truth that had tortured him for so long.

“I’m sorry,” he screamed into the empty air of the room. “I’m so sorry, Chanyeol.”

He wasn’t gentle when he treated his wounds, a way to punish himself further for his mistakes. He rubbed his scars raw, the sting of the products he used supposed to torture him to the point his mind would go blank from the guilt that consumed him…

But it didn’t work. Instead, it made his heart ache further because there was no way for him to make up for what he did. No amount of wounds could compensate for what he did. For what he caused with his carelessness.

Nothing could repair Chanyeol’s heart and nothing would stop it from bleeding more profusely if he were to ever find out the truth. The secret Baekhyun kept was huge...a sin so unforgivable he was sure Chanyeol would turn his back on Baekhyun completely once he found out. And Baekhyun wouldn’t fault him because he knew that what he provoked went beyond what even someone as loving and forgiving as Chanyeol could take.

Baekhyun had no way to redeem himself, but still, he didn’t stop abusing his already bleeding scars. He kept rubbing hard until the scars grew and the redness of the puffy skin at the edges became more prominent and painful.

“Forgive me, please,” he sobbed as he held on to the sponge in his hands tightly. “I’m so sorry,” he kept yelling until his voice turned hoarse and the water in the pool turned ice cold.

He continued to scream and hurt himself until no energy was left in his body. By then, he barely managed to get himself out of the pool before his knees gave away and he fell to the floor. He was too weak to get himself up, so he stayed in the same position, unable to get himself out of the situation.

"I-I'm sorry, Ch-Chanyeol," he mumbled with the last remnants of strength he had left. "I'm s-sorry I couldn't s-save o-our s-"

He passed out before he could finish his train of thought, his body too strained to remain conscious.

XXXX

February 14, 7320 BC

Baekhyun was walking down the busy streets of The In-Between after a long day of lessons, imagining already the nice bubble bath he would indulge in to get his body to relax. He hadn’t had time to rest the last couple of weeks and while as a celestial being, his body could withstand more than other creatures of the universe, it still needed time to recharge.

Baekhyun covered his yawn with one of his hands and felt his cheeks warm up when he remembered he was still in public. Thankfully, no one seemed to notice. It wouldn’t leave the best impression if others saw him act so out of character, especially for someone on the run to become The Chosen of Good. Showing how tired you were was looked down upon by The Creator, according to the scriptures only The Elders had access to.

Despite how tired he felt, he took his time. It was the first afternoon he had free in weeks, after all. He didn’t mind taking just a little bit longer to get to his bed-chamber and rest. He liked to be outside, to spend his time receiving the warm rays that The Core emitted, and to interact with fellow Celestial Beings.

It was fascinating to him how different they all looked, yet the blue robes they used toned down their differences and left them in the same level. They were all the same, meant to take a higher position in the future. There was no such thing as competing with their peers since The Elders assigned them their tasks. And it wasn’t like you could hide things from them, either. After all, The Elders saw everything.

Eventually, Baekhyun arrived at his bed-chamber and took a seat on his bed for a moment. The curtains were still open and the light kept shining some light on his surroundings. Some would call him boring, but he found so much beauty in the small things that even something so...insignificant like the way the light reflected against the glass windows. Or the sound of the birds that woke him up every morning. Or the smell of the fresh air when the colder months started on Earth.

He’d learned to appreciate these small details as time passed and the day for his ascension drew closer. Not because he wasn’t eager to serve the purpose he was created for, but because he knew that once he left The In-Between, his perspective would change. His time would be limited and his focus would have to be solely on keeping The Balance of The Source.

He sighed at the thought. Time passed by faster than he could fathom. Not that it was a bad thing per se, but it was...off-putting, so to say. His life span may be longer than other creatures’, but that didn’t stop the universe from moving forward.

Baekhyun shook his head. He hated whenever his mind went down that kind of train of thought. He wasn’t the type to make himself sad by overthinking things he couldn’t control, but he had days when he was more emotionally vulnerable. But he always tried his best to drag himself out of that negativity. He was a positive individual overall, and he liked to keep it that way.

Instead of keeping himself thinking about useless thoughts that would only bring him down, he got up from his bed and headed over to the bathing chamber. The pool was small, cozy, and comfortable, filled with oils and products of the best quality. To be honest, it was one of Baekhyun’s favorite places in the universe. He could always be himself there. He could be vulnerable and enjoy some alone time in between the hectic schedule of a celestial being.

He undressed and dipped inside into the pool. He rubbed his soft skin and enjoyed the warmth that surrounded him. He could feel his muscles relax under the soft ripples of the water. He closed his eyes and threw his head back against the edge, allowing himself to get lost in more pleasant and positive thoughts than the ones he had before. He immersed himself in them. Took his time remembering pleasant memories as he applied special oils to his skin and washed his long hair with utmost care.

He took his time since he could finally enjoy some time for himself in so long. He didn’t allow any negativity to invade his space. Instead, he dived deep into the joy that filled his life and gave himself the time to disconnect from his pending responsibilities.

Baekhyun remained in the pool until the water turned cold. He moisturized his skin before he dressed in a clean pair of blue underpants and the matching blue robes. He dried his hair with a clean towel and stared out the window to watch the beings walk below on the sidewalk.

The Source’s creation always left him awestruck.

A knock on the door brought him out of his train of thought. Curious about who his visitor could be, Baekhyun placed the towel back in the bathing chamber before heading to the door. He opened and instantly felt his face light up.

“H-Hey, Baekhyunee,” said Chanyeol. “I’m sorry I came so suddenly. I hope I’m not bothering you or anything.”

Baekhyun’s grin grew brighter. “Not at all, Chanyeollie. Come in,” said Baekhyun. He moved to the side and gave Chanyeol space so he could step inside the bed-chamber. After he closed the door, he returned his full attention to Chanyeol. “How was your day?”

Chanyeol smiled shyly. “It was okay. I hope yours was too.”

Baekhyun nodded. “It was.”

Chanyeol returned the nod before biting his bottom lip and stared down at his twiddling fingers. “I-I was wondering if you were busy…”

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. “No, I’m not. I’m actually free,” he said, throwing out the window any plans he had of taking an afternoon nap.

Chanyeol’s face lit up beautifully, which made Baekhyun’s heart skip several beats. “Then, would you like to spend the afternoon with me? W-we could go down to Earth to...you know, the meadow.”

Baekhyun nodded enthusiastically. “Yes, I would love to.” The nap could definitely wait.

They left the bed-chamber together and enthusiastically spoke about the last couple of days. They saw each other every day, but they didn’t get a chance to speak more than a couple of greetings here and there due to their hectic schedules. Since Chanyeol’s energy leaned more towards The Evil and Baekhyun’s more towards The Good, they didn’t take as many lessons together as they once did. But their relationship didn’t change. They were still the closest of friends...and yes, Baekhyun still liked Chanyeol very much.

At the outskirts of the bustling city, they opened up a portal that took them immediately to Earth. In their earlier days, they’d found the solitary meadow, a beautiful land with grass as green as emeralds and an array of colorful flowers that wafted the sweetest of scents.

They sat on the soft ground next to each other, their bodies leaning close unconsciously. Earth’s sun was shining bright in the sky and was warming up their skins nicely.

Baekhyun really liked Earth. From all the creatures in the universe, humans were...fascinating. He often wondered about the potential they had and the future that awaited them. How would their societies work? How advanced could they become? He’d seen other races grow and develop beautifully. He could only imagine how humans would do. The thought excited him.

Not only that, but Earth possessed so many beautiful creations that it always left him in awe. The Source lived in harmony here, with nature protecting the balance perfectly with its gentle embrace. The Good and The Evil existed in peace and the war they constantly fought was virtually nonexistent. And while there were instances in which they would clash, so far, it hadn’t affected the planet enough to lead to its destruction.

Baekhyun hoped he remained the same, though no one knew that for sure. Other civilizations had started out the same and destroyed themselves down the line.

Baekhyun sighed at the thought. He didn’t want to think about it. So instead, he turned to look at Chanyeol and smiled. “Thank you for bringing me here today. I needed the break.”

Chanyeol returned the smile. “You’re welcome,” said Chanyeol. “I figured...we could escape for a little while. Just to free our minds, you know?”

Baekhyun nodded. “Well, it’s working,” he confessed honestly. It really was helping, especially with Chanyeol by his side.

Chanyeol’s cheeks turned a pretty shade of pink. “A-also, there’s something I wanted to speak to you about.”

Baekhyun leaned his head to the side as his heartbeat started to increase. “What happened?”

Chanyeol bit his bottom lip. He looked nervous and Baekhyun wished he could help him somehow, but truthfully, Chanyeol’s nerves were starting to affect Baekhyun too. So instead of acting recklessly, he patiently waited for Chanyeol to speak.

Eventually, Chanyeol took a deep breath and squared his shoulders. When he looked at Baekhyun, his demeanor had changed completely. He seemed determined and the emotions in his eyes made butterflies riot in Baekhyun’s tummy.

“Baekhyun...I-” Chanyeol cleared his throat and took Baekhyun’s hand in both of his. “I’ve been holding myself back, but every day that passes by, it becomes harder to keep this truth to myself.”

Baekhyun gulped, his eyes flew around Chanyeol’s features continuously. He had an idea of what Chanyeol was talking about, or maybe it was his wishful thinking. But it didn’t matter. All he knew was that whatever Chanyeol said would be a turning point for them.

“We’ve known each other for so long and...during all that time I-I tried to stop myself from feeling like this. You lean towards The Good and I towards The Evil, so feeling the way I do would complicate everything. But I can’t take this anymore. I can’t keep hiding my feelings. I need you to know. Even if you don’t feel the same. I just need to get it out of my chest…”

Baekhyun squeezed Chanyeol’s hands reassuringly. Chanyeol seemed to relax slightly and squeezed back. “I-I’m in love with you, Baekhyun. I’ve been for so long that...I’m unable to tell you since when.”

Baekhyun didn’t know what to say. His heart skipped several beats at the confession, and while he wished to reply, his body was completely frozen in the spot. Chanyeol seemed to misunderstand Baekhyun’s silence and his smile turned sad. “I understand why we can’t be together, but...I just really needed to let you know.”

Baekhyun bit his bottom lip. The resignation in Chanyeol’s demeanor made a stab of pain flash in his heart. As such, Baekhyun forced himself to move and cupped Chanyeol’s cheek with his free hand. Chanyeol’s eyes widened in shock, but he remained silent as Baekhyun met his gaze. “I know what’s at stake, but...I can’t stop myself from loving you,” said Baekhyun. A myriad of emotions ran through Chanyeol’s eyes that Baekhyun was too overwhelmed to decipher. “I’ve loved you for so long. I never thought you felt the same.”

Chanyeol let go of Baekhyun’s hands to cup his cheeks. He leaned his forehead against Baekhyun’s and looked deep into his eyes. “How could I not when...you’re perfect? You stole my heart from the first moment I lay eyes on you and ever since, I knew I would never get it back. I don’t want to get it back. I like it where it is, in your beautiful hands, for you to do as you please. I love you so much, I feel my heart will combust every time I’m with you.”

Baekhyun felt tears fill his eyes. Chanyeol had always been good at expressing himself. He had a way with words that always left Baekhyun fascinated. Chanyeol was a poet, the type that wove beautiful sentences with the simplest of words. He was an artist in every sense of the word, and Baekhyun couldn’t help himself whenever he was near.

“Chanyeol, how are we going to do this?” Whispered Baekhyun, his eyes locked on Chanyeol’s luscious lips.

“We’ll figure out a way together,” he replied. Chanyeol closed the distance between their lips but didn’t make contact with Baekhyun’s. Instead, they continued to look into each other’s eyes, their breaths meeting halfway. Neither moved, taking in the beauty of the other. The love that they had finally been able to unleash.

“I love you,” murmured Baekhyun, his lips brushing Chanyeol’s gently.

“I love you too,” replied Chanyeol.

And then, they kissed. They moved together so their lips could join in the sweetest of touches. Baekhyun was unsure of what to do since he’d never been kissed, but Chanyeol’s hesitance gave him peace. Chanyeol was inexperienced too. And there was no rush. No need to fasten the pace or take it to the next level. They had time for that. So instead, Baekhyun continued kissing Chanyeol slowly, his lips massaging Chanyeol’s.

Baekhyun closed his eyes and held Chanyeol close as his mouth got acquainted with Chanyeol’s. He was patient and allowed Chanyeol to tangle their tongues tentatively. Baekhyun tasted Chanyeol to his heart’s content and instantly knew he would become addicted to Chanyeol’s sweetness.

As the sun started to set on the horizon and the birds sang their farewell for the day, Baekhyun and Chanyeol continued to hold onto each other. They kissed until their lips were swollen and their cheeks were flushed. They remained in each other’s arms, oblivious of the world that surrounded them. All that mattered was them. Everything else was irrelevant.

From that point forward, things would never be the same again.

XXXX

July 29, 1985 AD

Chanyeol sighed as he listened to Sehun recount his most recent update about Baekhyun. It killed him to know his beloved was going through so much and that Chanyeol was unable to do anything about it. Chaeyoung, who was standing next to his throne, placed her hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder, knowing just how much her brother was hurting inside.

“He never stands up when I visit. He stays on the bench, immobile throughout our conversations,” said Sehun. “It used to happen here and there, but no...it’s all the time. Every time I visit, he doesn’t move. If he wasn’t speaking to me, I would think he’s a statue. And whenever he does move, he’s very...stiff. His movements are calculated like he has to think each of them through before doing them.”

Chanyeol lowered his head, his hands tightened into fists. Every word Sehun spoke was like magma was running through his blood vessels, burning everything in its wake. He had to hold back his tears, though it was near impossible.

Sehun stopped speaking for a moment and from the frown on his face, Chanyeol knew whatever was about to follow was going to get worse. He sat back and braced himself. “What happened?”

Sehun took a deep breath. He looked...defeated. His shoulders were lowered and the look in his eyes was scaring Chanyeol. “He turned around once for a brief moment and…” He gulped like it was hard for him to continue. “There was blood on his back, Chanyeol. And it wasn’t just a little. It was a of fresh blood on his back.”

Chanyeol felt himself freeze over. “W-what?”

Sehun could tell Chanyeol was getting heated, but he didn’t hold back. “He was bleeding badly. But he didn’t seem to notice. He moved before I could react and his hair covered his back so I couldn’t ask.”

Chanyeol couldn’t move. His mind was blank as Sehun’s words haunted him. Yes, he knew Baekhyun was going...through something. He already figured Baekhyun was being tortured somehow, but have it confirmed...like that...

“,” he murmured. He could feel the rage in his body starting to boil over. He took deep breaths as he tried to control himself, but it was proving to be too hard. He had to use all the energy in his body to keep his emotions from exploding.

Chanyeol stood up from the throne and started to move around the throne room. He was losing control of himself and as The Chosen of Evil, that was never good news. He had the task of controlling The Evil, so the amount of that type of energy that ran through his body was always boiling, ready to explode at the smallest of triggers.

He was more prone to losing control than anyone else thus, he had to be careful. He’d learned different techniques to keep himself under control, but all his efforts were failing him at that moment.

Chanyeol wished for many things in that moment. The main one was to have those ing Elders in front of him to kill them with his bare hands. He’d torture the living out of their disgusting bodies. He could already imagine all the many things he could do to them.

Chanyeol started to laugh under his breath at the mental images he got. He knew he looked deranged, but he couldn’t help it. Not when he could imagine himself ripping those ers’ hearts out of their chest with his hand. Or open them in half and scraping each of their organs while they’re still alive…

Images kept running through his mind and his body started to scream with the need to hurt. He needed to kill, to torture. To make someone suffer under his sweet touch. His mouth was drooling at the thought of getting vengeance.

“You need to calm down,” he heard Chaeyoung say. Her voice penetrated the fog of anger that had taken over his thoughts. “I understand why you’re angry, but we need to think smart right now. You can’t lose control.”

Chanyeol knew she was right, even if he wanted to not give a and go berserk. No matter how much power he had, The Elders had more. They had more control over The Source. As such, to take them down, they had to think about everything carefully.

But Chanyeol was desperate. With every piece of information that Sehun revealed, Chanyeol felt himself losing himself to the centuries of rage that had consumed him. He couldn’t allow for this to go on any longer, but there wasn’t much he could do. His hands were tied and honestly, he had no set plan in mind. He had no idea of how to go about the situation, and that was what frustrated him most. The more time passed with him sitting back and doing nothing, the more Baekhyun suffered. But without finding a way to take The Elders down, there wasn’t anything he could do.

And that was what hurt him the most.

“I think there’s something that can be done,” said Sehun.

Chanyeol and Chaeyoung turned their attention to him. “You do?” Asked Chaeyoung.

Sehun raised his hands. “Look, I was waiting before I told you, but I guess it’s time,” he said.

“What are you talking about?” Asked Chanyeol.

Sehun took several deep breaths. “I’m sure you’ve heard about the rumors.”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “What rumors?” He asked. He felt annoyed by how vague Sehun was being.

“The rebellion,” said Sehun. “It’s happening.”

Chanyeol and Chaeyoung looked at each other before they met Sehun’s eyes. “It’s real?” Asked Chaeyoung.

“It is,” said Sehun. “It’s been brewing in secret for centuries and it's starting to gain a lot of force. Everyone’s tired of The Elders’ tyranny.”

“Are you sure...about all this?” Asked Chaeyoung.

Sehun rolled his eyes. “I’ve spoken to one of the leaders. I’ve seen the intel. This is happening. It’s already started. And if you, The Chosen of Evil, joins the ranks, there would be more chances of success.”

Chanyeol thinks about it for a moment. He knows nothing about what’s happening or what the intentions of this so-called ‘rebellion’ were. But it was his best chance.

“I want to know more,” replied Chanyeol at last.

Sehun smirked. “I figured you would say that,” he said. “I’ll talk to them.”

Chanyeol nodded. He was hoping this could work. He was in a difficult position and his worry for Baekhyun only continued to increase with each day that passed. He needed to do something about it as soon as possible. If he was lucky, the rebellion could help him save Baekhyun from the nightmare he was in.

He could only hope he wasn’t too late.

++++

August 15, 1985 AD

Baekhyun stared at himself in the full-body mirror in his bathing chamber. His eyes looked dead. There was no light in them, no emotion left after the many centuries that had broken his heart relentlessly. Deep bags colored black rested below them, making his pain more obvious to anyone who looked into him.

But Baekhyun always hid that pain. He applied something as mundane as the makeup humans created to cover the now permanent marks that remained on his otherwise flawless face. He always had a smile on his face when he spoke to others and spent much of his time alone practicing how to mask his real feelings. No one was supposed to find out what was brewing in his mind constantly.

Baekhyun always worked hard to hide the truth of his mental and physical condition. His hair was always perfectly styled, every hair combed to perfection into a tall bun at the top of his head, while the rest flowed beautifully down his back in white waves of silk. His clothes were always impeccable, clean, and ironed. The sleeves always hid the horror that marred the skin of his arms, the scars that cut through the once unblemished surface.

No one knew of those marks, or the ones on his back, or his thighs, or his chest. No one was supposed to. Baekhyun always covered his wounds well. He never let anyone see what he was going through. And while sometimes a detail could slip, Baekhyun always made sure to cover the mistake before anyone could ask questions.

In his mind, he believed he was doing a fantastic job keeping his pain hidden, though he suspected Sehun knew more than he let on. But Baekhyun kept going forward, using all the pent-up energy in his body to cover any indication of the reality he was trapped in.

Baekhyun left his bathing chamber with a heavy heart. Even if Sehun hadn’t informed him of his visit that day, Baekhyun had noticed a pattern that allowed him to guess when Sehun would see him. As such, Baekhyun always made sure to be waiting for him in his garden. Baekhyun could hide the hurt in his body relatively well from anyone, but not from Sehun.

Sitting down on his bench, surrounded by the rose bushes, Baekhyun gave himself the time to free his mind. He rarely gave himself to dive into much brighter thoughts, into the happy memories that he protected in his mind with so much care. Baekhyun didn’t believe he deserved that type of leisure time. Happiness was something he had no right to after his mistakes. His memories of better times were rewards he kept himself away from constantly. He wasn’t worthy of them. But in that afternoon, as The Core wrapped his hurting body with its warm embrace, he gave himself a chance to reminisce.

A gentle smile raised the corners of his soft lips as memories of better times fleeted through his mind. It seemed unreal to him how much he’d changed through the years. How his existence had shifted so radically that he could barely recognize himself anymore.

Baekhyun lost himself to his role as The Chosen of Good. He put all of himself in it. He channeled all his energy into his duty. The balance of The Source became everything that Baekhyun lived for.

And in the process of working hard to keep the balance, he fell down a blackhole of pain that consumed his entire existence. He no longer was the being that loved to watch the universe in wonder. The Baekhyun of the past, the one that was so carefree and ready to love the creation. The one that loved Chanyeol with all his heart and hoped for a future that never came to be.

The thought made him sad. Sometimes, he wished he could return to those times. To be able to live in blissful ignorance of the cruelty the future had prepared for him. But going back in time meant losing everything once again, and Baekhyun didn’t think his heart could resist going through the same torture all over again.

Time passed and Baekhyun felt disappointed when Sehun didn’t arrive. Not that Baekhyun would ever fault him for it. He knew Sehun was always busy and his regular visits were a rarity that Baekhyun had learned to cherish.

Not wanting to dwell on the past anymore, Baekhyun decided to take a trip to Earth. He needed the distraction. It had been a while since he gave himself some time outside of Heaven and it was about time to get away, at least for a couple of hours.

His body still hurt from the fresh injuries that still painted his skin. But it didn’t matter. He wanted to give himself time away. And while this could possibly result in a fresh batch of wounds, he didn’t mind. He was already used to always having unhealed scars on his body.

Baekhyun walked down the garden’s path with patience. While he wanted to leave Heaven momentarily, he wasn’t in a rush either. If anything, he was taking his time.

He paced down the busy streets of Heaven with a smile on his lips. Everyone he passed bowed in awe of his presence. As God, even to the inhabitants of Heaven, Baekhyun carried an air of power that was unmatched. In their eyes, Baekhyun held even more control of The Source than The Elders, which seemed preposterous in Baekhyun’s mind. If only they knew the truth of his existence and the hierarchy of the upper levels.

It was almost...sad, too. How the reality that everyone saw and the ideas they had of who God was were so...twisted. Baekhyun was painted as a powerful being, the most impactful of creatures in existence. He was the direct representation of the original Creator. He held more strength even than The Chosen of Evil. The Devil too abided by the laws that God set. The Devil knelt in front of God and followed his every word.

That was all a lie.

Baekhyun had no power. He had no control over anything that happened in the universe. He was a puppet, set on his position as The Chosen of Good to shield the real intentions of The Elders. He was the fake representation of the ideal image everyone had of who the leader of all in existence should be.

But it was fake. Baekhyun wasn’t who anyone thought he was. He was a shell, void of any real depth. He was nothing...existing barely by a thread of sanity that was close to reaching its breaking point.

That was one of the reasons why he liked to disconnect himself from his reality. Why his occasional trips were a breath of fresh air. Separating himself from his reality gave him the time to let go of the constant burden that lay on his shoulders. When he walked through the busy streets of Earth, he could separate himself from the lie he constantly lived in.

For a couple of hours, he could act like a regular human being.

As soon as he reached the borders of Heaven, in a spot where he had the privacy of solitude, he opened a portal and walked right through. In an instant, he’s transported to a secluded area on Earth, at walking distance from the bustling city he was eager to visit. Still invisible, he changed his appearance, his features turning into a toned-down version of his real ones. His hair turned black and short, and his clothes matched those of modern society. He made sure he didn’t stand out. If anything, he wanted to blend in with the crowd. Go unnoticed for once.

Once he felt ready, in a pair of blue jeans and a white sweater, he stepped out of his hiding spot and instantly joined the crowd. He walked down the streets of the modern city, surrounded by crowds of people that went around in their daily lives. Baekhyun saw their faces, their expressions. He could see sadness, pain, stress, anger...but there was also beauty, joy, and innocence.

Baekhyun envied them.

Baekhyun wished he could live like them. He wanted nothing more than to worry about a boring job with a lame boss. He desired to have some banal hobbies he could lose himself to in whatever free time he had. He wished to love and to be loved freely. If only he could have the life he once hoped for with Chanyeol. If only he could fulfill the dreams he once held on to so dearly.

He once lived his everyday imagining a life with Chanyeol. They would live in a quaint little house, with their own children, and a couple of pets that made their days more beautiful and enjoyable.

But that had never been possible. Those dreams were destroyed as soon as Baekhyun was forced to let go of Chanyeol. Because their love story had an expiration date from the beginning.

As always, the thought hurt, but Baekhyun wasn’t in an adequate place to dwell on that. So instead, he shook the thought away and continued walking down the streets. He stopped at a famous coffee shop and bought a cup of Americano and a piece of red velvet cake. He sat on a table next to the window and ate his food in peace.

As a celestial being, Baekhyun only needed to consume the nectar from The Fountain of Life. It gave him the necessary nutrients his body needed and it gave him the source of energy his body asked for on a daily basis. But he occasionally liked to indulge in the food humans prepared. It was delicious and he had a particular liking for coffee. Every time he went to Earth, he made sure to buy some of that addicting beverage before returning to heaven.

He enjoyed his alone time in peace. He gave himself time to relax and let his mind wander to lighter thoughts than the ones that usually attacked him. He watched the people outside and felt his heart grow warm. Even if his position as The Chosen of Good was symbolic, he still felt a great amount of love for humans. He’d seen them evolve and grow into the beings they were today. And even if there was an ugly side to them, he couldn’t help but find them fascinating.

Humans represented the nature of The Source so perfectly. They were neither good nor evil, they simply were. They did bad, they did well. They grew. They learned. They were imperfect beings that were in a constant changing process. Some leaned more towards evil, others more towards good. And some remained in the middle.

And that was okay. Because humans weren’t created to be perfect. They were created to...be...to exist. And that was it. There was nothing else any celestial being expected from them. Humans were simply humans expected to act like that.

That was why Baekhyun loved them. They were young, naive, and meant to live their lives day by day. Sadly, many believed they had to be perfect when that wasn’t the case. Because humans aren’t perfect. They aren’t meant to be perfect. He wished he could do more for them, but The Elders limited the influence he could have over them.

It made him sad to think about it, but that didn’t deter him. For however long he had left as The Chosen of Good, he swore he would do whatever he could to take care of the creation. Even if he couldn’t do much, he would at least try his best.

Once he was done with his food, he figured it was time to return. Sighing, he left the coffee shop and took his time walking down the streets. He had no rush to reach Heaven, after all.

He lost himself in thought as he walked amongst the populated streets of the city he was visiting. He always liked to know people’s background story and as God, he could look into their minds. Not that he liked to meddle too much, but he at least tried to see what was ailing people. And while what he could do for them was limited, he at least tried to transmit positive energy and comfort into the minds of those who were going through a difficult moment.

Perhaps that was how he noticed the agony that was emanating in powerful waves from a lost soul close by. Instantly worried, Baekhyun followed the energy with a heavy heart. The pain he sensed was excruciating, the kind that people had been through unspeakable nightmares. Baekhyun was scared of looking into their thoughts, so he held himself off. He would check on the person first before deciding how to proceed.

The energy led him to a dark alleyway secluded from the crowds of people, on the poorest side of town. Baekhyun proceeded with caution. While he was a celestial being and had the power to defend himself if it came to it, he didn’t like going to those extremes. He could cause some real damage and that was something he most definitely didn’t want to do.

The alleyway was dark, full of waste and other...stuff Baekhyun didn’t want to figure out what it was. He could hear the scurrying of rats and insects in between the piles of waste. The air smelled foul, of decay and death. Baekhyun covered his nose with a facemask he conjured to try to tone down the amount of smell that entered his nostrils, though it didn’t work nearly as well as he hoped.

Still, he kept going, because he could hear angry voices from the direction the murky energy came from. Baekhyun knew someone was getting further hurt and he couldn’t simply sit back without intervening. As God, his job was to protect and nourish the creatures created from The Source, and he would be damned before he didn’t follow through with his responsibility.

The scene that greeted him at the end of the alley broke his heart and made him feel angry. He loved humans and he didn’t expect them to be perfect. He also knew that many inclined more towards The Evil, but that didn’t stop anger from taking over him whenever he witnessed cruel, senseless acts from them. Perhaps that was because he wasn’t The Chosen of Evil. He certainly wouldn’t be able to be it either.

There was a group of young men, probably teenagers, taunting and attacking a small, helpless body curled on the ground. The boy was in a fetal position, his arms barely able to protect his head. The poor thing was whimpering in pain as the bullies continued to kick his body relentlessly. Baekhyun felt his heart ache at the sight.

Baekhyun stepped forward and called out at the boys. “Hey! Stop right now!” He exclaimed. On most occasions, a command like that would probably not work to stop thugs from abusing someone, but Baekhyun put some power in his voice to make it more demanding. He didn’t usually like to tamper with humans’ free will, but at that moment, it was necessary.

The thugs moved back immediately and turned around in unison, rage shining brightly in their eyes. But as soon as they met Baekhyun’s, their faces paled. Even in his human form, Baekhyun could make himself look imposing and intimidating. And at that moment it was necessary to avoid any altercations that would force Baekhyun to use excessive force. He didn’t want to hurt them.

The boys didn’t speak. Instead, they simply bowed before running out of the alleyway. Baekhyun felt relieved. It made everything much easier for him to deal with the situation without having to worry about unnecessary attention to be attracted to the situation.

Baekhyun turned his attention to the young boy on the ground and quickly knelt next to him. The boy was covering his face with his arms, but just from what Baekhyun could see from the state of his clothes, Baekhyun could tell the boy had a tough life as it was. His arms looked far too skinny and scars old and new were scattered all over the skin. Baekhyun’s heart ached at the sight.

“Sweetie,” he whispered. Baekhyun didn’t touch the boy. He looked scared and Baekhyun didn’t want to startle him. Instead, Baekhyun used a soothing voice and tried to spread some nice energy to counteract the negativity that was emanating from him.

Baekhyun noticed the shaking of the boy’s body diminish lightly, which was good. At least he was managing to calm the boy somehow. That was the first step before Baekhyun could think of a way to help him further.

“I won’t hurt you,” said Baekhyun, his voice warm and sweet. “You’re safe now.”

The boy relaxed slightly more. His body wasn’t as rigid and the energy he was emanating wasn’t as overwhelmingly suffocating as before. Baekhyun kept going until the boy’s ragged breath was back to normal and his body wasn’t as tense.

Baekhyun waited patiently until the boy felt comfortable enough to face him. The boy lived a tough life and he needed time to trust others, especially strangers. It was okay. Baekhyun could take his time if it meant helping a soul in need. Even if he got punished, it didn’t matter because this boy needed him and Baekhyun wasn’t about to put himself first. No punishment could ever compare to the suffering this boy had gone through.

Baekhyun watched in wonder as the boy started to move on his own accord. A gentle smile lifted the corner of his rosy lips as he noticed the boy slowly started to look more comfortable. But the smile slipped from Baekhyun’s lips as soon as the boy moved his arms and revealed his face.

Baekhyun gasped as his eyes studied the familiar features in front of him. Oh, how he knew those full lips, those droopy puppy-like eyes, and the soft angles that he’d memorized many centuries before. He knew those moles, that skin tone, and the same pain and disappointment he’d seen in that pair of eyes once.

All breath left his lungs as his mind turned into a turmoil of emotions that he couldn’t control. He felt breathless, his chest ached terribly, and his eyes burned as he tried to come to terms with what he was seeing.

The boy stared at Baekhyun confused, but he remained silent as he studied Baekhyun’s features too. Baekhyun couldn’t pay attention to that, though. Not when a hurricane of memories and pain rushed through his entire body. He fell back when he lost all balance on his knees. He lost complete control of his body as realization slowly hit him.

The boy looked worried and Baekhyun wished he could calm down enough not to scare him further. But he couldn’t because he never thought he would see that face again. Not after what happened. After what he didn’t do.

The boy sat up and moved tentatively towards Baekhyun. Baekhyun felt upset with himself for worrying the boy. He’d wanted to help the boy, yet the tables had turned and Baekhyun felt horrible.

Before the boy could reach him, a sound startled him. Baekhyun didn’t even register the fear in the boy’s eyes or the way he rushed out of the alleyway. Baekhyun felt guilty for not having helped him. In the end, he did nothing but startle the boy further. But he couldn’t think too much about it, not when the past started to haunt him without remorse.

With what little self-control he had left in his body, Baekhyun managed to open a portal and transported himself back to heaven. He was so out of it he didn’t notice he walked right into the throne room, but he was lucky because it was empty.

Through his hazy thoughts and shaking limbs, Baekhyun somehow dragged his body down the hallways towards his bed-chamber. he paid no mind to the worried looks he received from the celestial beings he passed by and he didn’t even bother to answer their concerned questions. Not like he could give them a coherent answer even if he tried.

He ignored anyone that knocked on the double doors. He was drowning in his thoughts far too much to even recognize Sehun’s desperate questions. He simply couldn’t process anything that was happening outside of the turmoil in his mind.

He was completely consumed by the waves of dark thoughts that flooded his mind. He lay on the floor as his body tried -and failed- to regulate the emotions that were burning every inch of his body like smoldering lava. His body was shaking violently with the force of his whimpers and sobs as thick, burning tears fell down his cheeks.

“I’m so sorry,” he gasped in between sobs. “I’m sorry.”

He apologized over and over as memories of everything he did wrong back in the day. Of everything he provoked with his foolish mistakes. Because it was all his fault. He wasn’t careful enough. He wasn’t strong or smart. He wasn’t determined.

He ed up back then, over and over. He kept his secrets, he remained silent. He lied. He succumbed to the demands of The Elders without giving a fight. He watched the ones he loved suffer while he stayed on the sidelines, powerless and weak.

He was a pathetic creature that deserved every bad thing that happened to him, and that was driven further into his heart the moment he met that boy’s eyes. Because those beautiful eyes he’d once learned to love from a distance reminded him of every single wrong he did in the past. That face that he should’ve protected with his life was once again filled with suffering that he should’ve been spared of.

All the guilt that had accumulated he’d kept in his heart suddenly exploded in such a painful way that for once, Baekhyun felt like death was upon him. None of the punishments The Elders gave him could ever compare to what he was feeling at that moment. Because after so long, he was forced to face his demons and acknowledge the one that he wronged the most out of anyone in the universe. The one he hurt far more than he hurt Chanyeol. The one he would never be able to protect and love properly because of his own foolishness…

...The one created out of the strongest emotions he’d ever felt. The gift given to him by The Source as a reminder of the happiest moment of his life…

...The one who owned the part of his heart Chanyeol didn’t hold in his hands…

...Hyunjin…

...His son.