CHAPTER ONE

The World In Her Hands
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The bustling platform 9 3/4 was packed with students and family alike. The train ready to go in a few minutes. The parents saying farewells and admonition to their child. Students boarding the train and reuniting with their friends. First years fidgeting and nervous about their future new environment. And in the middle of it all was Winter Kim and her cousin, Fleur Delacour.

"Es-tu certain d'avoir tout?" the former champion of Tri-wizard asked her younger cousin.

"You know for someone who keeps reminding me to speak in English, you seem, what's ze word again? Hmm, oui, 'ypocrital" Winter Kim replied, her accent was a little evident, adding her annoyed tone and bored expression. "Mais oui, I 'ave everyzing for ze last time."

"And for someone younger than me by 14 years, you seem to disrespect me. Not to mention, your future teacher," Fleur chuckled. She was used to her cousin's attitude. After all, she did get it from her. There was no hint of an accent in her voice. Her ex-husband William Weasley helped her with it years ago but felt like centuries have passed. Even when they divorced, they remained as good friends.

"We're not even in ze school yet," the younger girl retorted

"That still doesn't change the fact that I'm older than you by a lot," she smiled coyly 

"You should act like your age zen," Winter glared at the old man who bumped her shoulders and didn't even bother to look back or say sorry. "British people," she scoffed under her breath.

"Same goes to you as well," Fleur replied looking around the platform. She tried recalling if she knew some of the people here but to no avail, she couldn't remember. It's not like she paid attention to the purpose of the tri-wizard tournament anyway or anyone for that matter, 13 years ago. She had one goal, to win the tournament. But until now, she still couldn't admit that she had her eyes on someone during that time. Which she completely avoided in hopes of burying those feelings deep down. 

"I act like my age," the sixteen-year-old replied after a few moments. She has gotten distracted like the blonde beside her. Her eyes followed a girl who looked liked the same age as her. She was one of the few countable individuals who wore a robe and not muggle clothes. It disappeared from her sight before she could even see her face. 

She turned her head to look at the woman beside her who chortled. Winter raised her right eyebrow at her.

"People your age should have fun, enjoy life. Like them," her cousin pointed to a group of people who were laughing and talking to each other. The one who stands out the most was a girl whose eyes were also smiling and she didn't think it was possible to smile like that as she could almost rip her entire face from how big the smile was. She thought of how very different they are and how they would probably don't get along. Beside her was a tall skinny girl, looked like a year younger than her. She was gorgeous, anyone could admit that. She could pass off as a goddess if anyone asked Winter. But no one's perfect, she proved herself as she was laughing with wide open. Winter didn't even bother to look at the other people in their group, not getting her interests. 

"While you look like you're carrying the world on your shoulders," the blonde added which made Winter glare at her. "What? I'm stating what I'm seeing."

"And people your age should mind zeir own business," the younger of the two sassed

"You're not even sorted and I can already tell you're a Slytherin," Fleur stated but it had a hint of proudness in her voice.

"Well like anyone doubted zat," Winter then saw a student inside the train in a compartment in front of her, having their windows open for everyone to see. She was reading a book and looked like all her attention was on it. The boisterous place didn't even seem to bother her. Winter gave her points for that. The former could never focus and only get annoyed when there are so many people that were also loud. Winter reckoned she was a Ravenclaw.

"You should work on your accent," the blonde teased after moments of silence.

"And you should work on your la suffisance," the brunette rolled her eyes over her cousin's remark.

"I was just giving you a piece of friendly advice, getting annoyed is not necessary," her cousin poked her side teasingly which made her roll her eyes once again.

"Nozing about you is friendly," she remarked, Fleur didn't reply when the train tooted signaling that it's going to leave very soon. She faced her cousin, who although tried to hide it, looked anxious. She knew her cousin well. She did spend the past years teaching at Beauxbatons, Winter's, and her former school. 

"Well, you should go in now. Don't get into trouble while I'm gone okay? Especially that you're my responsibility now," Fleur told her younger cousin earnestly this time.

"I'm not a kid and I'll littéralement only be sitting for ze next 'ours anyway," Winter masked her anxiousness in front of her cousin, only for the latter to embrace her. The former breathed a little slower than she was a second ago. 

"I'll apparate to Hogsmeade when you board the train. I'll see you later okay?" she instructed like an older sister to Winter on which the latter only nodded. "Go on now. Do try to make some friends," Winter took one last look at her cousin before boarding the train. 

Almost a minute has passed since the train departed. Still, the hallways of the train are packed. Students are searching for empty compartments or those that aren't full. Some are looking for their friends. Which only made Winter more anxious. She doesn't know anyone here, the only one other than the first years. A few more minutes have passed and the crowd disappeared into their sections. Winter sighed and dragged her feet to look for a room that isn't filled yet. It took her a while to finally find one. But just to her luck, it was the smiley girl from earlier and her gorgeous friend. Sitting across her was a girl on her age as well that she didn't see earlier. She was skinny and lean. Her eyes was the first thing Winter noticed. It was unique and charming. Her skin was also shining through fairness just like her cousin. Although Fleur always complained about the weather here in Scotland. She wondered why the part-Veela moved here if she hated the weather. Surely, she just didn't move because of the job offer right?

She sighed once more before knocking on the compartment's door, not having a choice as there seem to be no more free spaces left on the others. The three pairs of eyes shot to her. She opened the door. The bright girl from earlier smiled immediately while the other two looked at her curiously. The youngest looking one smiled at her as well. The remaining one which is the fair girl looked nice enough as well but gave a nice and calm vibe than the other two.

"Is zere still room for one more?" she tried asking politely as she can. She can't afford to get kicked out here. Staying in the hallways for nine hours is already embarrassing as it is.

"Of course, you can sit beside Yuna," the bright girl answered and motioned the spot next to the girl and the window. The girl had an American accent. Winter used to think that most of the students in Hogwarts were British or Scottish. She thought she would be the only one who was from another nationality. They were all wearing muggle clothes. Winter was the only one who was wearing a robe. It had her father's family crest just under her right collar: a red dragon.

"Zank you," she replied

"What's your name?" the girl asked again.

"Winter," she answered

"Hi, Winter! I'm Ningning," she offered her hands to shake which Winter contemplated but still took. "This is Yuna," the pretty girl smiled at her and also offered her hands to shake. "And she's Yeji," the girl nodded and politely smiler at her but didn't offer a handshake. Winter noticed that Yeji was the athletic one as she looked more toned compared to others. 

"I don't think I've seen you before," Ningning said after. Winter concluded that she talks a lot.

"Ning don't be rude," Yeji scolded her. This girl have a British accent but it wasn't very strong. Maybe after hanging out with Ningning, she was influenced with an American accent. 

"Yeah Ning, it's not like you know everyone," Yuna remarked. Now, this one have a Aussie accent. Winter mused that these three friends were all from different nations. She wondered if there were still other nationalities in the school. Unlike Beauxbatons, Hogwarts were less accepting and understanding. That's what her second cousin told her from the years she lived here since the completion until she divorced. Although she did say that Hogwarts has changed a lot going back to her time here. She warned her that there was still a little prejudice but not as worse as before. 

'Didn't Britain just had a war because of racism and bigotry? Things have changed a lot since Fleur left the country 9 years ago,' Winter thought

"I do know most of the students though," Ningning argued

"Like you said 'most'," Yuna quoted. 

"I'm a transferee," the new student clarified before they could start an argument between themselves.

"Oh," the three looked at her in interest.

"I didn't think it was possible," Yeji pondered

"Well, now we know it is," Winter noticed that Yuna is the 'sarcastic' of the group.

"What year are you in?" Ningning asked

"I'm in sixz year," she responded

"Ohh, Yeji is too. Me and Yuna is a year younger than you guys," she babbled

"I see," she replied instead not knowing what else to say

"What's your house?" Now Winter concluded that the girl is nosy. She guessed that the girl was a Hufflepuff.

"I don't 'ave one yet,"

"Yeah Ning, didn't you hear the part where she said she's a transferee?" Yuna butted in again. Winter concluded that these two bickers a lot.

Yuna seems to be looking for a fight, Winter thought. While Yeji was trying to be polite and was only watching them. Winter reckoned she liked Yeji the most out of the three of them. The other two are too talkative for her liking. 

Ningning ignored Yeji and focused on Winter again, much to the latter's chagrin which she kept internally.

"What school did you come from?" she interrogated once again

"Beauxbatons," she kept her answers short to not reveal too much about her. She likes to keep herself and her information private. Only a few chosen people know a little about her. But Winter isn't a showy person nor someone who talks a lot. There's still so much about her that no one else knows. Not even her closest cousin. Not even her parents. 

"So you're French? I thought I heard an accent. So I was right," she kept on babbling. It doesn't take a genius to know that Winter isn't a talker or enjoy socializing for that matter. Ningning is either naive or slow. Winter guessed both. "What do you think your house will be? Yuna and I are Hufflepuffs and Yeji is a Slytherin." Winter guessed correctly.

"Ning, you're making her uncomfortable," Yeji interjected. 

"Am I?" Ningning asked a little concerned. Her eyes were squinting a little and her lips were pouting. She looked like a baby.

"No, it's okay," No it's not

"See-" Yeji gave Ningning a look so the second mentioned of the two smiled at Winter before

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter