[1]

Everything Always Come Unplanned
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The brightness of her monitor made her eyes strain, red from the small amount of sleep she received the previous night, or was that the night before? She lost her track of time as the deadlines of her paperwork was approaching, almost at the verge of ripping out her own hair. 

Searching for the clock mounted in her office, she rubs her bloodshot eyes with both of her balled fist, then squints to read the numbers. Almost four in the morning. The office worker groans at the sight of the tall stack of documents, sitting beside her computer, and she felt more exhausted just by looking at it. I guess it's time to get home, and maybe get it done there. Lifting herself up from her seat, she stumbles slightly, but was able to regain her balance - grabbing her bag next to the desk, she packs the workload. 

Considering the godly hour, the company was empty, normally the other workers would leave before the clock hit eleven to return to their families and use the rest of the night to sleep. With the exception of one person, Lee Jaehee. 

A woman just in her mid-twenties working at one of the most successful companies in America, securing her position as the supervisor of the marketing division after transferring from her post in South Korea five years ago. It wasn't easy - she admits herself- the language barrier and the difference in culture made her run into some issues, but she managed to adapt. Although, there were a few things she regret leaving behind. 

Pushing the engine button, the car ignited, it's headlights radiates heavily, later dimming down. Her bag was tossed aside on the passenger seat while she buckled herself in. Reversing the vehicle recklessly, Jaehee shifts the gear into drive and followed her usual route home. One hand loosely on the wheel, the other blindly looking for her bluetooth earpiece in her bag, adjusting it to fit her ear, tapping it on. 

Quietly humming to the soft beat of the music playing on the radio, it helped eased the stress overwhelming her mind a bit, keeping her eyes from falling shut. 

In moments like these, she gazes at the tall building and foreign written signs and wonders what it would be like if she never left the comfort of her home country whenever she comes to a stop at a red light. 

Call incoming...

Letting out a huff, Jaehee taps the button of the earpiece, waiting for any of her colleagues (or worse, her boss) to inform her about anything work related. 

"Hello?" Her voice was stern - the voice she uses during work hours. 

"Sheesh, hello to you, too, Jaehee-ah." It was a voice she hasn't heard for a while, a long while.

"S-Soojin unnie?" The relief she felt when the word 'unnie' rolled off her tongue. The business woman can't remember the last time she spoke her native language ever since she transferred to the states. 

"Ding Dong Ding Dong! That's right! Glad you remembered! It's been forever since we last talked." 

Jaehee tries to focus on driving, but she can see her vision blur a bit from the tears swelling up. God, when was the last time she contacted her best friend? All she remembers is saying goodbye to her at the international airport in Incheon, and that was the final time she seen the older woman. If she had to name those few things that she misses back in Korea, it would be her dear Soojin unnie. 

Sniffing, Jaehee lets out a airy laugh. "Yeah, it's been quite a long time. How are you, unnie?" 

"...Are you crying, right now? Aw, who knew our jelly could be such a crybaby~" 

"UNNIE!" She whines, then ends up laughing. 

On the rest of the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter