two.

not a bad thing.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's a pity that Yewon— Yuna still finds it surreal that she can call her that now— can't join them for dinner. A part of her was actually hoping that the manager would say yes when asked after the announcement of her promotion to the whole team but unfortunately, she has other plans that evening. It would be a lie to say that she wasn't disappointed. Then again, the former had not once joined them for any of the monthly dinners since the first one when she took over the store as the new manager.

 

“Why do you look so down when you've just been promoted?” 

 

“I'm not feeling down,” Yuna juts her lower lip out slightly. “I'm just tired. That's all.”

 

“You seem very energetic earlier while we're on our way here though,” Eunha raises a brow, unconvinced with her reason.

 

“It's nothing, really. If anything, I'm actually happy I got promoted.”

 

“It's weird hearing that coming from you when just a week ago I found you looking at the resignation letter you have in your locker.”

 

“I've decided not to resign, okay?” Yuna says in a whisper, looking around to make sure that no one is eavesdropping on their conversation. “Let's not bring that topic up ever again.”

 

“Sure,” Eunha muses. “I'm just curious to know what made you change your mind because obviously, I'm not the reason why.”

 

The reason?

 

Yuna thinks it's sole because of her newfound interest in wanting to know Yewon better. However, she can't tell her good friend that because she knows she'll be teased to no end.

 

“The two of you should start eating before all the meat is gone,” Yerin says from across the table, looking at the two of them.

 

And just like that, Yuna is saved from thinking of a lie to tell Eunha.

 

••

 

If Yewon were to be very honest with herself, she would rather have dinner with her colleagues than her family at the moment. She can't believe that her parents have yet again set her up for another meeting— or so-called blind date— with one of their friends' sons. She should have known that them asking her out for dinner had an underlying meaning and it's not because they want to spend time with her. Why can't they just understand that she doesn't want to be in a relationship yet and let her do whatever she wants first before settling down with someone?

 

“I'm not really interested in commitment right now,” she says firmly, eyes locked on the man she's introduced to. “I'm only here because of my parents.”

 

Yewon doesn't care if she's embarrassing them. She only wants to be truthful and not give anyone hope. Beating around the bush isn't something she's fond of after years of experience.

 

“Yewon,” her father calls out, sounding disappointed.

 

“It's alright, sir,” the man, Hansol, says with an amused smile. “I'm actually not ready for any commitment too. I guess both our parents set us up without us knowing.”

 

“We personally think Yewon would actually be a good choice for you,” his father, Mr. Lee, tries to convince his son.

 

“Good choice or not I don't want to be forcing you into a relationship with me.” Hansol doesn't break eye contact with Yewon, the smile still constant on his face. “I actually have had my eyes on someone else for quite a while now but it's a pity my parents aren't accepting of her.”

 

“Lee Hansol.” Mr. Lee grits his teeth, glaring at his son. 

 

“But you said you're not ready for commitment,” Yewon points out, ignoring the adults.

 

Lee Hansol is interesting, she thinks. Never has she gone on a blind date where her suitors don't try to win her heart over with cheesy pickup lines or expensive gifts. 

 

This is definitely a first.

 

“I'm not. However, for that person, I think I can try.”

 

Yewon is the first to break eye contact when she suddenly feels her phone vibrating in her purse. She ignores it at first, not wanting to be rude to the guests but when the vibration becomes insistent, she pulls the device out just enough to look at who the caller is.

 

Jung Yerin. 

 

Why is she calling her at this time? It can't be anything serious, right?

 

Just as she thought of pressing the reject call button, her screen switches back to her lock screen and a text appears soon after— to which she opens it.

 

‘Yuna's drunk and she's been calling your name a lot. I think she wants you here. We tried to convince her to go home but she said she won't budge from her spot because you're going to come to save her again.’

 

‘Also, since when did you allow her to call you Yewon?’

 

“Now isn't the time to be looking at your phone, Yewon,” her father clicks his tongue, making her lift her head in an instant to look at him. “Have you forgotten about your table manners?”

 

“I haven't,” she answers calmly. Thinking of the text as an opportunity to escape from the dinner, she stands up from her seat and adds, “I'm sorry but I have to take a leave right now. There's something urgent I have to attend to.”

 

“You are to stay with us, Yewon,” her father orders.

 

Instead of listening to him, she gives everyone at the table a bow and walks out of the restaurant after.

 

“Yah, Kim Yewon!”

 

She'll deal with her father's scolding another day.

 

‘I'm on my way to the restaurant now,’ she sends a quick text to Yerin.

 

‘Thank God you chose to come. I haven't seen Yuna this drunk before.’

 

Just how much did Cho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter