one.

not a bad thing.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Choi Yuna would have quitted her job a long time ago if she didn't need money badly. Switching jobs was an option but she didn't want to go through the hassle of finding a new one and going through another interview. Besides, having worked there for 1 year and 8 months already, she's used to the working environment and all her colleagues have been nothing but nice to her that leaving them all behind would be unfortunate. Now, if only she could say the same about her manager— the new one that had joined them 3 months ago after the previous one had to transfer to a different store— then she wouldn't even think about submitting a resignation letter after working there for that long.

 

It has been sitting in her locker for quite a while but she never had the guts to hand it over to the manager being too afraid to approach her. To Yuna, the latter is like a wolf in sheep's clothing. She may look nice on the outside but on the inside, she's like the devil. Yuna can't recall any time that the manager has ever cut her some slack in the way she does her job. She can't seem to understand why she's picked on the most compared to her other colleagues when she works equally as hard as they do. 

 

Is it because she tends to daydream at times? She's working hard to change that though.

 

Could it be the way she talks to the customers then? But… she usually gets praise for being a good help so that can't be the reason why as well.

 

She even received the ‘Employee of the Month’ award twice in a row when working for the current manager so why is it that the latter always has her eyes on her? If she doesn't like the way she works, why hasn't she fired her yet so she doesn't have to resign on her own? Is her motive actually to make her do that?

 

“I can help you hand that over to Manager Kim if you're too scared to do so yourself.”

 

Yuna quickly closes her locker, turning around to glare at her colleague who only looks at her with a small smirk. “You shouldn't say things like that out loud,” she says in a hushed tone, eyes roaming around to see if anyone else is in sight. “What if she hears you?”

 

“She's not that bad, you know? I think she's only looking out for you as an employer should,” Eunha shrugs. 

 

“You think?” Yuna scoffs. “It's obvious she doesn't like me.”

 

“If she doesn't like you then you wouldn't have been ‘Employee of the Month’ twice in a row. We, employees, may have picked who we think is best but ultimately, it's Manager Kim's choice to decide who deserves it most and she chose you twice. Isn't that enough of a reason that she doesn't dislike you?”

 

“But—”

 

Yuna's voice falters when her eyes catch sight of Manager Kim entering the locker room. When their eyes meet, she quickly musters a small smile and bows to her slightly.

 

“Yuna, I need to talk to you.”

 

As expected. 

 

There's no other reason why she would enter the locker room at this time. 

 

“Yes, Manager Kim,” she responds.

 

Eunha can only show her a small smile and mouths a ‘good luck’ to her before she walks away.

 

••

 

Yuna is extremely confused as to why Manager Kim had brought her to a café nearby instead of the storage room where they usually hold their briefings or meetings. The latter had never once brought her out of work to talk to her. Is it going to be a serious talk since they're away from the eyes and ears of the other now? She doesn't know what to expect as she waits for Manager Kim to join her at the table she has picked for them to settle down at. She initially rejected her offer of getting a drink for her, not wanting to be indebted but she should have known better that Manager Kim doesn't accept no for an answer so she picked the cheapest drink on the menu.

 

“Thank you,” Yuna says when Manager Kim places her drink in front of her before taking a seat opposite. Her heartbeat suddenly picks up in pace out of nervousness and her eyes are fixated on the drink instead of her boss.

 

“I know it's sudden that I brought you here with me,” Manager Kim speaks up. Her voice is soft, like marshmallows if Yuna were to describe it with something random. It makes her wonder at times how someone as soft-spoken as her could make her scared of her when even her facial features are gentle and dare say adorable. 

 

Her look truly is deceiving. Yuna won't change her mind on how she sees her.

 

“There's something I want to discuss with you in private.”

 

“W-What is it?” Yuna silently curses herself for stuttering.

 

“I'll just get straight to the point,” Manager Kim says, sounding serious as usual. “What do you think of being appointed Team Leader of the store?”

 

“What?” Lifting her head up, Yuna is surprised by the sudden proposal. “For real?”

 

“I had a discussion with the higher-ups a few days back and the previous manager of the store, Hyunwoo, had also given good reviews of you before I took over so we think that you deserve the promotion after working for almost two years with us now.”

 

Just as she thought about resigning, she's now being promoted? Yuna finds it unbelievable that such fate is brought upon her. It's a very tempting offer— her pay will increase and the idea of that sounds too good to be passed. However, if she accepts it, it means that she'll have to work with Manager Kim even closer and that's something she wants to avoid. How is she supposed to make a decision on the spot when she's not sure of the pros and cons yet?

 

“I'm not expecting a reply now,” Manager Kim adds after a minute of silence. “I'm giving you a week to think about it.”

 

“Okay,” Yuna simply answers.

 

Maybe if Hyunwoo was still the manager, she would have accepted the position without a second thought. Why did he have to transfer to a different store? He's definitely the better manager between the two.

 

“I'll be returning first. You can stay here a while more to finish your drink and think through the offer before going back to work. Just make sure to be back five minutes before lunch break ends, alright?”

 

Spotting a small smile on Manager Kim's face, Yuna finds herself in disbel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter