FIN

Hwang Yeji, ITZY's Leader!

Hwang Yeji had an impenetrable force buried deep within her kindness and her adorableness. Kind and caring like a deity attributed to Humanity, but stern and precise like a Captain giving out orders. In the unfortunate case of a sunken ship, Yeji would be the last to abandon ship, sinking with it as long as it meant saving others. It didn’t look that way at first glance with that big smile and those dashing eyes arched into a smile; it didn’t look that way when the members on live television or on any variety show for her goofiness. But it was deeply nuzzled within her.

 

Ryujin came to realize this when the absolutely insane Yeji stormed out of the practice room against the manager’s warnings.

 

“Ah, she’s gone crazy,” Lia said softly, skipping behind Chaeryeong who ran out to get their leader. 

 

Ryujin was the last to leave the practice room, following behind the short stream of people following Yeji to what seemed to be the worst scolding of her life. Instead, Yeji walked into the room with a respectful but powerful stance. She laid down the issue eloquently, her voice leveled but strangely melodious like she was singing a maddening song to the higher ups -- who were having a meeting this hot day in Seoul just before Yeji barged in. Horrified, the rest of the girls stood in the hall, unsure of what was going to happen or what to do. Curious as always, Ryujin was the first one to enter the room and stand behind Yeji, quietly supporting her leader but also amusingly watching how the quiet and goofy Yeji, her tender and romantic lover, was exhibiting a whole new side of her. Partially, Ryujin found her a bit foolish for this display, but over time she found her more and more brave than foolish. Sometimes the lines blurred, but this was clear to her.

 

“It’s dangerous for the members, and not only us, but the people next to us,” Yeji’s volume raised a tad, just enough to show her preoccupations, while the higher ups watched and noted her points. “I cannot let others get hurt either, especially our hoobaes.”

 

The tension in the air was only felt by the rest of the ITZY girls and the manager that had to hide behind Lia out of pure fear of the higher ups once they walked in. Yeji didn’t falter in her argument while the others felt lumps in their throat. Truthfully, she was only looking out for the people around her, especially those who weren’t under her tutelage. Or, well, leadership. 

 

Ryujin didn’t even know what it was that was being talked about at one point, she was just flabbergasted at the entirety of the event.

 

Now, lying in bed, cozily, Ryujin thought of this incident. It had been at the very beginning of their long day, some fourteen to sixteen hours ago, and only now had Ryujin decided to think about it. Mostly because of the silence hanging heavy in the air as she watched her girlfriend brush her hair. This was part of the nightly routine of course, especially the part where Ryujin watched her from the lower bunker, Yeji loved that, but something felt different. Yes, Ryujin felt differently about Yeji, but not in a bad way. Sprawled coolly, Ryujin didn’t feel so cool by comparison. Hands behind her head, a leg up and another one rested, displaying her biceps -- the way Yeji likes it -- but seeing Yeji seated so quietly and content, exhausted but accomplished, was a different sensation of coolness. The coolness of Yeji’s leader-mode (as the ITZY girls affectionately called it in between giggles) had been in Ryujin’s mind since.

 

“What came over you?” Ryujin playfully asked, now in the privacy of their dorm. “I have never seen you this upset.”

 

Yeji looked at Ryujin and laughed in good nature, now that the matter was solved and she came out unscathed from it. “I have to take care of you guys, I couldn’t let them do that.”

 

“Ridiculous restrictions, I know.” Ryujin sat up, sliding over to the edge of the bed. “But that was… wild.”

 

Yeji was blushing a little bit, but the dim light of the room hid it. “I know, I just felt very strongly about that when the manager told me,” she said a little quieter now in contrast, putting the brush down and sitting up. “I have to take care of you guys.”

 

Ryujin chuckled a little, standing up to greet her girlfriend face to face, looking up a little to her. “And you take good care of us, even if we tease you a lot.”

 

Yeji’s smile turned from shy to honest and subtle. It was beautiful to look at, pure joy but unexaggerated.  Ryujin couldn’t help herself, tracing her fingertip across those luscious lips, tenderly, with no other intention but pure and genuine appreciation.

 

“Yah, what are you doing to me, Hwang Yeji?” Ryujin asks softly, lost in the silhouette and the glossy look of her leader’s lips. Lips curl into a smile, she knows what she said was so earnest it touched her heart as well.

 

“What?” Yeji didn’t quite get it.

 

“I don’t know how to explain it, but I keep falling for you with every little thing I see.”

 

Now Yeji really blushed, hands gently landing on Ryujin’s hips. She gives her an appreciative squeeze as she speaks. “Here I thought I would make you tired of me.”

 

Ryujin, softly giggling, shakes her head, showing a vulnerable and softer side of herself. “I think I’m falling harder by the second.”

 

Playfully, Yeji bit Ryujin’s thumb and growled, still glowing with that soft aura of hers, a contrast of the morning’s big reveal. “I wouldn’t have it any other way.”