three.

Moonlight Melody
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jessica was awake as she found herself at the Reaper Station's conference room already sitting in one of its seat and in her uniform. She groaned as she flopped her upper body onto the table to catch a nap before the meeting began. It was short lived when she felt someone poke her side.

"I swear, Shannon, if it's you, I'm gonna pushed you in front of a bus again."

Grim Reaper Jessica threatened in a muttering tone with her face still against the table and not bothering to check if it was the death watcher that oversees her duties or not. She heard a male chuckle and turned to see that it was another reaper, Gunwoo, who had poked her earlier.

"I thought by now you would've figured out that we won't die from such mortal incidents."

Gunwoo propped an elbow on to the table and rested his chin upon it while smiling at Grim Reaper Jessica.

"Were you asleep before being summoned?"

"Yes. I took a nap as the heat was getting to me." She responded with a yawn as she sat upright.

"Why suffer with those mortal weathers when you can live here and choose whatever season you want to basked in?"

"That's no fun, honestly. I can't dress up with the seasonal fashion."

"How about giving up your triple life and just becoming a full-fledged grim reaper?"

"No, thanks. I'm sti-"

Gunwoo interrupted her while repeating the words that she always gave him as her reasoning.

"-still waiting on my sister."

He rolled his eyes.

"I remember, but I still suggest for you to cross over. Your sister, too. Isn't it boring being a human though?"

"Not really. Isn't it boring being an immortal?"

"Not really."

He eyed his fellow grim reaper with a grin.

"But who knows, one day I may end up as a mere mortal."

"I doubt you'll make it as one in the end."

"Wow, that's rude."

Grim Reaper  Jessica shot him a grin just as Lucifer's booming voice announced his own presence and everyone turned towards the front.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen." Lucifer greeted as he sat at the head of the table upon his throne with a large grin.

He went about their usual discussion and updates before moving on to the last bit of the meeting consisting of assigning the reapers with their missions by Lilith. Grim Reaper Jessica hardly received her missions during the meetings as Shannon always gave them to her at all odd hours of the day. So Grim Reaper Jessica used to wondered why she even had to come to these midnight meetings, but later gave up and just went with it. Still though it got her curious and before she could ask Gunwoo about the subject, Lilith's voice interrupted her.

"Here's our latest user, pinkbaechu, on our REAPER CORRESPONDENCE site. The user signed up a few days ago."

Lilith announced upon Joohyun's account profile popping up on the holographic screen for everyone to view.

"She's quite pretty judging by her picture, but in all honestly she's really bland in personality."

There were some murmurs before Lilith continued.

"Now on to pinkbaechu's actual profile. Her name is Bae Joohyun. She's in her thirties. Born on the twenty-ninth of March. Height, one fifty-eight centimeters. Weight, forty-four kilograms. Her blood type is A. Her Zodiac signs are the Sheep and Aries. She doesn't eat chicken and dislikes coffee."

Lilith read out Joohyun's basic information before moving on to the real reason.

"This pitiful mortal officially got her heart broken by her scumbag of a cheating boyfriend of six years. Talk about summer romance, right?"

The others began mumbling comments about Joohyun's situation while Grim Reaper Jessica began to doze off feeling extremely sleepy for some odd reason before Lilith spoke again.

"Now, the one major thing to note about this case is that none of us here in the Infernal Realm had sent Joohyun Bae an invite to the REAPER CORRESPONDENCE. Yue Lao of the Celestial Realm took pity on this silly woman and decided upon himself to meddle a little bit in her pitiful love life while leaving the rest to the Grim Reaper Station to deal with."

Lilith's gaze looked about the room at the other grim reapers and death watchers.

"Who would like to take pinkbaechu's revenge as their own?"

A lot of hands went up, but Lilith's eyes landed on the dozing Grim Reaper Jessica. A smirk crossed Lilith's lips as she slammed her hands on the table which sent vibrations in the female's direction to jolt her wide awake.

"Hmm?"

Grim Reaper Jessica hummed sleepily while looking about the room casually.

"Congratulations, Reaper J, you have been assigned to pinkbaechu's case."

Lilith congratulated while snapping her fingers to make a black file appear in front of the said grim reaper.

"Wait, what?" Grim Reaper Jessica stared at the floating file before her.

"Why?"

Before Grim Reaper Jessica could protest Lucifer moved on to the next person and she reluctantly grasped the file into her hand with a tired sigh. Gunwoo laughed beside her and she elbowed him to stop, but that barely did anything as he snickered to himself. Just as Grim Reaper Jessica was about to make a snarky remark she felt herself forward and she was back on Earth in her bed. She felt wonky, but came to her senses. Jessica checked the time. It was seven in the morning. She sighed while trying to return to sleep, but couldn't.

"What should I do now?"

Just as those words left her lips did she know what she wanted to do. Jessica went to the Eternal Twilight and sat upon the swing with the various sounds around her creating a tranquil melody. Jessica hoped that her sister's wandering soul would appear. Krystal did not appear and the melody that Jessica heard around her faded away.

"I seriously knew it was too good to be true. It had to be. I'm such a gullible person." Joohyun muttered with a frustrated sigh after checking her phone for the nth time since she had signed up for the REAPER CORRESPONDENCE a few days ago.

"What kind of app exists to make one's dream come true? Zilch."

Joohyun sighed again as her mood dampened.

"Why would one even exist if that was so easy to do in real life?"

Joohyun received no responses since creating the account. Heck, she received no replies after making a post in wanting to get back at her ex-boyfriend. She knew that her post had a lot of views, but not one person commented on it. Even when Joohyun clicked on the other profiles of the other users it went to private mode. She could only see her account and the posts of others, but a click into a profile and it just wasn't viewable. She couldn't even comment on any of the other posts as well. It was totally weird.

"Maybe it's just a site for ranting and nothing more. A place that's just another place to escape from reality."

Joohyun reasoned while putting away her phone and resumed work. She debated whether to take some personal days off, but didn't want to mope around the house causing her mother to worry. Her mother had her health to worry about instead of her own child to add to it. Besides, Joohyun needed to work to provide for herself and for her mother so she couldn't lose her job even if she despised it at times. Plus, the bank were running low on staff when one of her colleague that she was close with was admitted to the hospital in critical condition a few months ago. None of them knew when she would return.

Anyhow, at the time her mood was in high spirits when the thought of actually getting payback against Bogum was plausible. Now, after days of waiting and nothing happening her high energy dwindled. So when Joohyun returned home she was too tired that she headed to her room telling her mother that it was a stressful day at work. It was partially true. There were too many angry clients that took it out on her when they couldn't access their online banking account. Anyways, gathering energy Joohyun went about her nightly routine.

After changing into pajamas Joohyun finally sat on the carpeted floor of her bedroom. She had her knees pressed against her chest with her back pressed against the edge of her bed while staring at her dresser absentmindedly. Her eyes landed on the pretty MOLDIR tote bag given by that nice woman as she recalled the tinge of excitement and happiness she had these past few weeks because of that. Joohyun had received pictures of her modeling the products and her mother commented how surprised her daughter looked with them. She grabbed those photos from her nightstand and admired them.

Jiwoo had never seen her daughter looked so stunning and glowing all at once like that before. The both of them were even surprised to see the check with the sum for just that brief moment and her mother joking suggested for her daughter to become a model instead of a banker. Joohyun declined, but went through the photos seeing how happy she did looked in them. She didn't think by agreeing to these that it showed another side of her she didn't think existed. Still, Joohyun's mind wandered and a familiar feeling began to settled within her.

She unconsciously traced random patterns into the carpet with her fingers as her mind soon blanked out into nothingness causing the photos to lay about her. A moment later Joohyun suddenly shivered as her room grew immediately colder than it should've been. She rubbed her arms to keep warm while following the moonlit rays coming through her window and noticed it was closed. Same with the balcony door. She wondered if her mother the A/C by mistake, but dismissed the idea since her mother would be the one to say something first about the coldness as heat comforted her better.

Standing up and moving under the covers of her bed instead, Joohyun decided it must be because she had gotten out of the shower and that night time had fallen with the slightly cool late June air in effect and settling in. As she was about to switch off her lamp's light, Joohyun's eyes caught a glimpse of something moving in the shadow cast by her lamp's light. She looked around her room cautiously, but shook the thought away as she wasn't one of those people for believing of monsters in the dark.

Then again, Joohyun did believed that a text message would help her to get revenge on Bogum. Maybe it was just the spur of the moment or something had overcome her, but still it felt real. Anyhow, she wasn't quite sure what to believe now. Being an adult was so tiresome and just mundane with little trifles of life. Anyways, finding nothing out of place except for the temperature being colder than normal Joohyun sighed as she was about to switch off the light until she heard a female voice speak from the foot of her bed.

"Don't do that. You should really leave the lights on. It makes things less creepy and daunting during the night, especially when something you're not used to seeing or believing."

Grim Reaper Jessica suggested while sitting cross-legged and hovering a few inches above the end of Joohyun's bed.

"Good evening. I'm Reaper J. You-"

The reaper was interrupted by Blanc who materialized right in front of Jessica and spoke instead.

"I'm Blanc. You should hang out with me because that ex-boyfriend of yours is a total douche and I have way better skills than him. Even looking like this."

Grim Reaper Jessica telepathically pushed Blanc to the side and was about to continued with her announcement when Eclare materialized a few seconds later where Blanc used to be and introduced himself as well.

"Hi. I'm Eclare. Wow, for a bland personality, you really are pretty and you smell deliciously sweet li-"

Eclare didn't get to finish his sentence as he was also telepathically pushed away by the grim 1reaper to join Blanc off to the side as Grim Reaper Jessica continued before being interrupted like nothing had happened.

"Like I was about to say, greetings, I'm Reaper J and you've summoned me so how may I assist you?"

Joohyun was still frozen in place with her body lying on her side half-twisted to turn off the light and the other half overlooking her shoulder to stare at the floating gothic-like female and two winged cats in front of her. She could only blinked every few seconds with agape. Grim Reaper Jessica sat afloat with a neutral expression as she bobbed up and down slowly while letting the situation sink in. After like twelve minutes passed did Joohyun finally come to her senses as she slowly positioned herself in a upright sitting position and pulling the blanket cozily around her.

"Who are you?"

The grim reaper smiled at Joohyun upon finally being acknowledged and instantly covered the mouths of the felines with her magic from interrupting and butting in like always before speaking.

"My purp

Please log in to read the full chapter