01.

• blurred lines.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Word count: 5.4K+

“I need this report on my desk by tomorrow 15h latest.” Soyeon sternly exclaimed through her intercom.

“Yes boss. Once again, I’m sorry for the figures.” The financial advisor said at the other end of the line, tone showing nothing but respect.

“If you really are, I’m sure that next time, you will double check the accounts more thoroughly.” Soyeon sighed, massaging her temples as her brain was piecing her next move simultaneously, cutting the call short to get back to her own paperwork.

The financial report for the past quarter was an utter disaster. One of the newbies in the financial department interchanged the cost and price figures, throwing the whole analysis off. While his calculations were perfect, the base material itself was incorrect. On surface level, the newbie had done a great job but if one were to look closer, it was easy to notice the obvious mistake with a downward sloping revenue curve when in fact, Domaine, had just had one of their best quarters in the past three years.

Soyeon threw a dejected look at her watch before sighing once again: ‘Yet another all-nighter,’ she thought. Soyeon had been working at Domaine for the past five years. With a bachelor’s degree in Managerial Accounting and Finance, she interned at the company for six months before being taken on board as a full-time entry-level financial associate. She was quick to adapt and proved herself as a key player on the team within her first year when she inevitably had to put her foot down in the absence of her supervisor who was on maternity leave. And now, four years later, her team-leads, and managers moved to higher level management or secondary branches, leaving her the position of Head of Financial Analysis at the Seoul branch.

While the merits and pay linked to this position were totally worth the hard work she had to input, it did take a strain on her personal life wherein for the past five years, Soyeon led a single life; thriving in her career but limiting her social network to family, friends, and colleagues. Haechan, one of the closest friends since university always made a point to single out that she should put herself out there more, but Soyeon could simply not hear about it. In her opinion, she had had enough of the dating experience back in university and it was simply not on her list of priorities to find ‘the one,’ settle down and get married, as her mother would like her to do.

A knock to her door was the only noise that broke her out of focus, making sure to save her report, she looked up, frowning as she clearly recalled telling her secretary that she wished not to be disturbed until 19h. It is only then that she noticed how much time had flown by as the night sky was filled with ambient light, hiding away the stars that should have been in the sky at that time. 20h17. Stretching a little, she softly said, “Come in.” expecting her secretary to tell her that she was calling it a day.

“Ta-dah!” the intruder exclaimed, waving two take-out paper bags. Haechan. Of course.

Soyeon smiled. “What are you doing here?”

“I could be asking you the same question. Did you forget that we were supposed to have dinner tonight?” Haechan retorted, making his way in her office as if it were his own, setting the food on the coffee table.

Soyeon cringed at herself, an apologetic expression gracing her face. “I’m sorry, we have this deadline, and the report is not ready, and the team made a mistake and this client-”

As Soyeon was making her way towards her friend, he shut her up by stuffing a piece of salmon sashimi into . “I know, when I called earlier your secretary gave me a brief.”

Soyeon took a seat in front of Haechan, wasting no time to dig in. Of course, Haechan was witty enough to get her favourite assortment from the sushi bar downtown. “Thank you, I didn’t know but I was completely starving.” Soyeon admitted gleefully as she took another bite.

Haechan shook his head with a smirk to his face; “Well if you would diminish the workaholic behaviour, maybe you would take care of yourself a little more, young lady.”

Soyeon rolled her eyes, “Why should I? I have an excellent friend in front of me, doing all the dirty work in my stead.” She exclaimed shamelessly.

Haechan flicked her forehead with no hesitation. “While I wish that I could be there for you all the time, I really think that you should find someone who will be versed enough to understand your work jargon and share the burden with you.”

Soyeon should have seen that coming; after all, she incited the conversation to go that way henceforth, she could blame no one but herself for giving Haechan the opportunity to sneak in this attack again. “We’ve been over this Donghyuk.” She said lowly, using his real first name, to express her dejection at the topic.

“I know, I know. But again, I do not mean it in a bad way. I am proud of you. You are a strong and independent woman but one day, I will date again. What will you do when I won’t be able to save your sorry and empty stomach?” Haechan retorted, crossing his arms to his chest.

Haechan had a point. Their closeness dated from all the way back in university, but they only grew tighter when their circle of friends all found partners whilst the two of them were the only celibates. Haechan did date, one woman, after university, for a little over a year. At that point, Soyeon was striving to get promoted which left her little to no time to ponder on her social life. Eventually, a horrible breakup found Haechan, with Soyeon the only one in their circle readily making time for him when he was at his lowest.

“When the day comes where the dynamics will change, I will deal with the situation, as I always have.” Soyeon simply stated.

“Burying yourself in your work is not healthy Yeon.” Haechan reprimanded but he knew that he had better drop the topic there for the moment.

 

 

“I swear, one day, she is going to faint only because she forgot to eat.” Haechan exclaimed dramatically to his friend. Doyoung and Haechan were currently on their afternoon break on the rooftop of the office building, each with a cup of coffee in hand.

“What did you expect, Yeon has always been highly driven on her career.” Doyoung said as a matter of fact, taking a sip out of his beverage.

“Yes, but it’s not healthy, are we supposed to just watch her miss out on her life like that?” Haechan argued back, frustrated, but not to anyone in particular.

Doyoung patted Haechan’s back as he sighed; “Over are our university days now, as much as we wish we could always be there for our friends and vice versa, we all have our lives to attend to. I know that you are worried about her, we all are. But it’s not like a horrific trauma is preventing her from living the stereotypical late-twenties life. She made the choice for herself, who are we to break her resolution.”

“Doyoung has a point, even if I have no background context on the topic.” A familiar voice broke into the conversation.

“Hyung, not you too.” Haechan exclaimed at his dearest colleague and now close friend, Johnny.

Johnny grinned at his juniors, hand also bracing a cup of coffee along. “Okay, I admit that I said that, only to be against your point of view.” Johnny started, looking at Haechan with nothing but brotherly-adoration, “But whatever the context, Doyoung’s point was totally valid. Whoever this woman is, I guess that she is your age. If she chose her career above everything, it is her choice, no matter your opinion on the subject.”

Haechan frowned furiously, a pout even finding his lips, but he knew that his friends were right. Yet, he also held confidence in his opinion. Doyoung eyed his older friend’s expression and snickered, whispering to Johnny as he headed back into the building: “Try arguing with a stubborn head like his.” Johnny chuckled, nodding at Doyoung who left the two to discuss.

Johnny took position near Haechan, leaning against one of the railings. “So, what’s the deal with your friend? You like her or something?” He asked, with a smug look to his face.

“Ew no.” Haechan immediately answered. “Well, I like her, of course, as a friend, she is just like a best friend to me, don’t tell Mark I said that, but yeah she is one of my closest friends. But she is missing out on so much. She spends nearly all her Friday nights at her office. Works from home on weekends and only goes out with us like once a month. She is like a robot at work.”

“We all have different priorities in life Haechan. Pushing your ideals onto her won’t change a thing if she’s really as determined as you make her seem to be.” Johnny said calmly.

“It’s not that I want to push my ideals on her, I get it, her career makes her happy. That’s great, but I wish she had someone to rely on once in a while you know. Someone mature enough to understand her need for space and her dedication to her work, but thoughtful enough to bring her dinner once in awhile like I do, and a shoulder to cry on when she is frustrated or upset.”

“And how exactly do you think that she is going to find this too-good-to-be-true-person?” the elder questioned back.

“For one, she could put herself out there a little more. All the persons she met since we graduated university are like pawns in her grand business network. While I understand her professionalism, there is no harm in getting to know someone beyond the surface level of ‘what’s your occupation,’ y’know.” Haechan sighed, gulping the remaining drops of his coffee.

Johnny smiled at the truly genuine intentions of his junior. While he totally understood the frustration that emanated from Haechan, Johnny could not help but actually relate to the mystery woman more. After all, he himself had chosen a career life over personal relationships, to the great dismay of his own friends as well.

 

 

“Jaehyun, really I love you man, but if you bring up the word blind-date, one more time, I’m going to cut you off.” Johnny exclaimed in his passive-aggressive tone while the barman shot him an apologetic look as he served him a good whiskey on the rocks.

Two seats to his left, an inadvertent Soyeon overheard the conversation and could only snicker, unwillingly garnering Johnny’s attention. Flushed, she bowed her head, biting her bottom lip lightly, to express her apologies.

A few minutes later, Johnny was finally off-the-hook, putting his phone away to finally really look at the woman who was just now seemingly judging his predicament. Sensing his gaze, Soyeon diverted her attention from her own whiskey, on the rocks with a twist, to meet Johnny’s curious glance.

“I’m sorry, I did not mean to overhear the conversation you were on.” She said first, a polite smile to her lips.

Her eyes were pure, Johnny noticed before finally shaking his head. “It’s okay, I’m going to blame this on my overbearing friend.” He stated calmly, taking in her appearance; Soyeon was professionally dressed – black pencil skirt, beige heels and royal blue blouse that fit her skin tone perfectly. Light make-up, only to highlight her existing features and a high bun to nest her brunette hair. She was obviously, taking advantage of the Friday happy hour, directly after work.

“Oh, I know the kind.” Soyeon said, recalling Haechan’s ways as well.

From the way this sentence just rolled out of her tongue, Johnny knew that she was not just saying that for small talk, rather she seemed to really know, her then sad smile confirming his intuitions as well. “What’s your story? Overbearing parent or nosy friend?”

“I managed to get the parents off my back, I’m left with only the friend now.” She said before taking a sip of her beverage. “I’m actually surprised that he hasn’t mentioned the word blind-date to me.”

“Well, if you are in anyway in the same situation as I am, I really hope that he doesn’t. Once they get started on their own perception, it is very difficult to change the train’s track, y’know.” Johnny said, once again, all too calmly and composed.

“How are you so calm about it? Is it that it’s been just that long that you finally grew used to your friend’s antics or you’re slowly giving up on fighting back?” she asked, angling herself a little more towards Johnny, showing genuine interest in his story while keeping this undefined line in between them.

Johnny seized the opportunity to naturally, move a seat closer to her, bringing his glass along, as he truly seemed to contemplate over her question. “I guess that I am just confident enough in my point of view to not falter over whatever my friends or the world has to say.”

Right then, Soyeon noticed an endearing quality in Johnny, but she was not able to really put a name to it; was it his confidence, his view or himself? However, she did not ponder over it much longer; choosing to pursue on the conversation rather than read in between the lines. “And what is your point of view exactly?”

Johnny grinned, leaning an elbow on the bar isle, “That would be too much of a giveaway to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter