pahinga muna, ako na ang bahala

You And Me Could've Been A Team

had the sudden urge to write this because of this song

may contain some spoilers since I'm working on continuing this one as a mini-series, so read at your own risk

(the title is derived from the song this was inspired from. it means: you can rest, I got this)

 

 

 

“Who was your first love?”

Su-ji was taken aback by the interviewer’s question.

Who asks questions like this? She thought to herself.

Her brown eyes softened and her lips almost turned into a pout.

She’s applying for a job after all.

It took her at least 10 seconds to compose herself.

 

“I first met her when I was younger.”

Confusion flashed on the interviewer’s face for a quick second.

Her face shows no judgment though.

The interviewer looked at her with eyes that are urging her to continue with her answer.

 

“She is the most beautiful woman I’ve ever known.”

Su-ji looked down for a second and fiddled with the hem of her shirt.

A habit she picked up from someone close to her.

She does this when she’s nervous.

 

 “Curious to what love was, she showed me the meaning.”

The room is quiet and tension-filled.

Or it is just what Su-ji is feeling, she’s not sure.

 

“There were things that I didn’t understand, she gave me the clarity.”

Su-ji looked at the window to her left, trying to find the words to properly describe her.

 

“All those tears I cried, she’s there to kiss them away.

All those lessons she taught me, changed my life in every way.”

Su-ji is trying hard not to cry.

No, not in front of a potential employer.

She thinks that they might see that as her weakness.

 

“As much as I loved her though, there were times that I disagreed with the decisions she made.”

Breathe in. Breathe out. Su-ji chanted in her head.

 

“She’s not perfect. She’s not trying to be. But she tries her best to give me all that I need.”

Her facade quivered. A tear finally escaped.

The interviewer quickly handed her a tissue that she used to wipe that damn tear.

 

“She sacrificed her happiness for me. Not just once, but twice.”

Her gaze is firm when Su-ji faced the interviewer again.

 

“I think, the first time she did it, she got afraid. She got afraid of what others will say, so she conformed with the norm. She let go of someone who she truly love and loves her back.”

People’s say should’ve never even mattered, at least that’s what Su-ji believes in.

 

“The second time, I know it’s for me. She thinks I wouldn’t understand. That’s where she was wrong. I heard her cries at night. I felt her longing for something.. for someone.”

Su-ji clutched her chest this time as she feels her heartbeat getting erratic.

She heaved out air from her lungs before she continued.

 

“I’m glad she’s happy now though. She found her way back home. They found their way back to each other. I wouldn’t wish for anything else. Just for her to be happy, constantly.”

 

Needless to say, the interview was a success.

Su-ji didn’t know if the interviewer just pitied her.

She didn’t care though. At least she got the job.

 

She’s at the bus stop waiting for a ride home when she remembered that she promised to call someone to give them the good news.

The call was answered as soon as the third set of ringing started.

 

“Mom..” Su-ji doesn’t know how and when it started but she’s almost sobbing at this point.

“I got the job mom!” She hears her mom on the other line cheering as soon as those words left .

Su-ji can hear her laughter and she can’t help but smile as well despite the tears flowing from her eyes.

 

“Seul! Is that my baby Su-ji on the phone?” She hears someone say in the background.

“Yes, Hyun-ah! Su-ji got the job!” Her mom answered which was followed by a cheerful scream and a burst of joyous laughter.

 

She heard shuffling on the other end which probably means that her mom passed the phone.

“I’m so happy for you baby. I know that you wanted this job for a long time now. Are you on your way home? I’ll cook your favorite!”

Su-ji’s heart swells with happiness as soon as she heard the voice on the other line.

After all, she’s the reason she got the job. Or at least that’s what Su-ji firmly believes in.

 

“On my way home now, mama. I love you! I hope I made you proud!”

Those were Su-ji’s last words before she ended the call.

 

Although nervous, her smile is obvious.

So this is adulting. She thought to herself as she boarded the bus.