Chrysanthemum

Seoulmate

The Universe has assigned a soulmate for you. A touch of skin on skin will print a mark on your body that only you and your soulmate will share. Every touch gets you closer to the person destined to love you forever.

The irony of Sehun's life was that due to his work, he encountered a lot of people every day, but his skin never touched them directly. He spent most of his time wearing surgical gloves. They were his second skin. Due to his family's insistence, he had tried some of those 'soulmate parties' to shake hands with strangers but he loathed them. At least the food was always great.

Sehun loved his job as a paramedic, but his schedule was hectic, to say the least. Having double shifts was the worst of the worst. He had only agreed to take the extra shift because he needed the money. Young, hot, and broken was Sehun's best description.

"Big black coffee to go please." Ordered Sehun promptly, busy looking for his wallet on his overnight bag.

"Name?" Asked the cashier, pen marker already on hand.

"Sehun." Replied the paramedic handling the money.

"Thank you, Sehun! Please wait to be called to pick up your order. Next, please!

He moved aside to wait for his much-needed caffeine, busing himself checking his social networks. His eyes were still glued to his phone when he picked up his order after hearing his name. He miraculously dodged the other customer picking up his own drink. He only put his phone back into his pocket to open the lid to add some sugar to his bitter and full of caffeine drink.

"The Hell…?" The liquid inside his cup was not his sacrosanct black coffee. It was soft brown and smelled sweet. This was not the fuel his tired body was yearning for.

The name on the paper cup was not his name either. It said 'Jongin'.

"Sorry, it seems that I took someone else's order. Who is 'Jongin'? He ordered a latte almost at the same time as me."

"Oh, really? Let me see… That one! The one with the green sweater that is going out."

Sehun was on a rescue mission to save the only thing that would keep him sane through his next shift.

"Jongin? Hey mate, I have your latte! Wait!"

The man with the green sweater stopped by the door and turned around, meeting Sehun with a confused expression in his eyes. He chuckled when the man that was running towards him frantically showed him his name written on the side of the paper cup.

They exchanged cups awkwardly, both trying to take their coffee while apologizing to each other profusely. Sehun had a flying thought about the tanned man looking cute with his black-framed glasses slightly skewed and his embarrassed smile. However, the relief that washed his body when he smelled the fragrance of pure black coffee erased any other thought from his tired brain.

They parted ways after that. Jongin got lost on the nearby busy streets and Sehun went back inside to get some sugar. That was when the event that changed Sehun's whole life happened.

It all started with a curse due to the time, a hand that opened the lid with too much force and hurry, and a stronger curse when his hand was suddenly covered in hot coffee.

One of the waiters assured a hurt Sehun that they were going to take care of the mess so he could run to pour some cold water on his hand. He did that after many apologies for been so clumsy. God, he was going to be so late. At least he had training treating burn injuries. He hoped the injury was not going to affect his work.

Then under the water flow, right over his pale wrist, a chrysanthemum was glowing. A beautiful mark that had not been there minutes ago.

His soulmate mark.

He had met his soulmate.

 

What? Who? When?

 

The man that drank lattes.

The man who lightly touched his fingers while exchanging their paper cups.

The man with the green sweater and the charming smile.

 

Jongin.

 

Sehun ran through the coffee shop, almost ripped the door, and tripped over his own feet, just to find himself paralyzed in the middle of the street.

He did not find a glimpse of his soulmate when he desperately searched for him among the people passing by his side.

He knew nothing about the man destined to be the love of his life. He only knew his name.

How many Jongins were in Seoul? Thousands? Hundred of thousands?

His soulmate did not even know Sehun's name.

How were they going to find each other?

 

His soulmate was now a dot amongst a sea of people in the middle of Seoul.

And so does he.