Chapter 1

Chacenzo

After long three months of running back and forth between courts with success, Chayoung was kind of free nowadays. During this time, she got two cards from Vincenzo. Today was the day she would get her next one, but seemed like it hasn’t come yet.

“Mr. Nam, you didn’t get any mails delivered today?”

“No, lawyer Hong, there was nothing today, unfortunately…” Jusong said in a small voice and his shoulders limped down. Felt like he was also waiting and missing the Mafia man.

“Okay, let’s wait then. He must be busy,” Chayoung bitterly smiled in response. She continued organizing her papers on her table and sorting them out. It was lunch time soon, and Jipuragi team decided to have their meal at Chef Toto’s Italian restaurant. Talking about the stuff they are left to do, there was nothing big happening in their lives. The big court finished two weeks before and now it was only small dealings that Chayoung was working on. After lunch she decided to go check on her vineyard as she always did.

“I can’t believe you didn’t send anything to me. You are mean, Mr. Cassano,” Chayoung talked to the little vineyard tag with her arms crossed in front. She was going there more often nowadays because she was missing her lover. Yeah, lover. They confessed and became official when he came back the first time. Every time she thought of him as her boyfriend, her heart would bloom with a beautiful feeling that would make her smile instantly.

Chayoung appreciated any type of interaction between them, be it bickering or gazing at each other silently through a video call. He was her all now. Her family. Thinking of whom, she got annoyed once again.

“How booked can you be to send a little card like you usually did? I am a little disappointed, Mr. Cassano! Tsch…’ she frowned stomping her foot on the ground. “Today is my birthday though… I swear, next time I see you I am not going to let you off the hook…” Chayoung swung her fist threatening the innocent tag.

“What to do? I thought it would be better if I congratulated you in person…” she heard the soft deep voice coming from behind. “Am I going to get hit now?”

Chayoung furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, her heartbeat started to fasten in anticipation and excitement of seeing the very possible man that she was shamelessly cursing at. She turned around slightly dipping her head to the side. As if being curious and suspicious of who was talking to her. Who knew? Maybe she fell asleep after lunch and was seeing dreams now. But be it a dream or reality her assumption was right.

There he was. Standing in his more or less casual attire, the corners of his lips slowly rising to a welcoming and sweet smile. Vincenzo stood a meter apart from her, in relaxed manner with his hands tucked in his pockets as usual. His face was glowing with sunlight coming through and lighting his smooth skin. His hair was half down, like Chayoung always liked. To be honest, she loved his hair up, waxed, sleek and professional. But something about the hair down made him more handsome and hotter. Like thousand times hotter. It made her heart pump even faster.

After getting over the shock, her face relaxed a little and she cracked a silly laugh with unbelievable sigh coming after.

“Wah!” Chayoung started clapping, “you really… ahh! Are you serious..?” The laugh continued to the extent that it didn’t seem real to Vincenzo anymore. “What are you doing here?”

“Attorney Hong… are you mad?” Vincenzo noticed the change in her eyes so quickly. From shock to excitement, to slight pissed aura. “I just-…” then came the hit in his right arm, right on the biceps, “y-yeah… maybe you are…” he said cringing his face in fake hurt and rubbing the aching muscle.

“When did you come?” Chayoung wasn’t letting go that easily.

“Why? Are you not glad that I came?”

“That is not what I meant…” suddenly she didn’t know what to say. All of the anger piled up in her varnished and she realized how she actually missed him like crazy. How him coming to her was the best output that she could imagine, and how proudly he was now observing the little vineyard where she was raising some grapes in order to make some wine and make him try it first.

Suddenly, Vincenzo got pulled to a tight hug from his girlfriend, but it was not suffocating. Opposite of that, he missed her very much and felt comfortable with an embrace. The smile growing on his face, he automatically placed his hands around her waist, resting his chin on her shoulder and smelling in her sweet perfume.

“I missed you.”

Chayoung heard that a few times through the phone, but hearing it live now that he was here, in Korea, hugging her was making her feel loved ten thousand times more. She really missed him. Somehow it was harder to endure it after his last visit, but Chayoung tried not to dwell on it much.

A minute or eternity later, they finally let go of each other but stood closer so the tips of his shoes were touching hers.

“I missed you like crazy,” Chayoung said looking straight at him. Vincenzo couldn’t hold in the smile and let out a little laugh, sweetly staring at her. “That’s how you confess to someone that you missed them, Vincenzo Cassano,” Chayoung was in a good mood now. Why not teach her boyfriend some tips?

“Really?” Vincenzo said after a while, “then should I show you my way of doing that?”

He leaned closer to her, giving her lips a soft kiss. The moment was so endearing that Chayoung forgot that they were still standing in vineyard surrounded by grapes and soil. The afternoon sun became brighter, making their shadows appear on the ground. The kiss that started to become more passionate unfortunately for the couple had come to a stop. They heard a rustle somewhere behind the bushes. It seemed like there were other people who were buying or growing some grapes.

The disappointment on Vincenzo’s face made Chayoung laugh because of their ridiculous situation. “We better go somewhere else… oh!” she stopped her in her tracks, “I forgot to ask! How did you come here even? When? Is there another event for Italian embassy? Are you going away tonight?”

Vincenzo sighed in amusement and continued walking forward. When he noticed that Chayoung didn’t move from her spot, he stretched out his left hand for her to take. She raised her eyebrows surprised that he was initiating such a trivial but sweet gesture that couples did. She instantly took it, and found it appeasing, peaceful and warm. Even though it was hot July afternoon and the sun was above their heads, burning intensely, his hand was soft and secure. Vincenzo intertwined their fingers a little bit shyly at first but confidently sealing them after which made her heart skip a beat.

“So?” 

Vincenzo still didn’t reply and only smiled mischievously, “I’ve made some connections in Malta. They told me I can visit Korea if I change documents on my name and passport.”

“You changed your name? What is it now?”

“It’s my birth name and it’s only on paper. I am still in Cassano family.”

“Yeah, you are their boss now, I know. So… your current name on paper is Park Joohyeong?”

Vincenzo nodded his head and blinked slowly out of habit. Chayoung gripped his hand tighter to show him support. He gripped hers harder too. He understood her gesture. It was hard enough for Vincenzo to come back to his home country for the first time. Him taking his birth name back, be it on paper, means he little by little came to accept his past. Maybe, gradually, he will come to accept it wholly.

They were going to Chayoung’s car, when suddenly Vincenzo led her to passenger’s side. “Why? Where are we going?”

“I took care of it already,” Vincenzo nodded to the front seat.

 

After a mid ride to the mountain countryside, a little out of Seoul, Vincenzo stopped and parked the car. The place was not habited and was mostly untouched nature. The sun turned warmer tone of yellowish, which wasn’t blinding to the eye. The couple left the car and took a route further forward, led by Vincenzo.   

The mountain hill was covered by bright green carpet of grass and little mountain flowers. The city wasn’t seen from this side of the mountain. After a little walk, they went into the little forest where sunrays were coming through the leaves and wooden branches. Chayoung was glad she had a pair of sneakers in her car or else her feet would be dying from walking in hills on rocky road. The scenery was enchanting and calm that she became interested in what exactly Vincenzo prepared. “Where are we going?” they were climbing up the hill.

“You’ll see...” and again. Vincenzo just charmed her with this signature smile/smirk of his, and she thought there was no point in asking anyways. She was starting to become irritated, but stopped herself. Because it was these rare moments with her lover she wanted to live with and cherish forever.

The forest finally ended, and Vincenzo sighed out of relief. “Here we are…”

“What? Final-” Chayoung raised her head from the ground and when her eyes found their destination, her jaw dropped in shock, “-ly.”

There it was. The surprise that Vincenzo prepared for Chayoung. Big air balloon colored in different hues, which was ready to take off the hill to the enormous sky of the city. Vincenzo laughed and closed the open jaw back averting her attention back to himself.

“H-how, what?” Chayoung smiled brighter closing her face out of happiness. She was speechless. “Oh my god! This is awesome!” Vincenzo received an exciting hug, before his girlfriend ran to the way of the big balloon. He smiled carelessly, glad that Chayoung liked his present. Her reactions always amazed him of how open minded and open hearted she was. That characteristic was one out many things that attracted him to her.

“Oh my… Seokdo oppa didn’t say anything about this. I guess it was a set up? Did you guys meet up? Wah, ‘Bye Bye Balloon’ really did a great job,” she glanced at Vincenzo before continuing examining the balloon.

“Oppa?” feeling jealousy creeping out from him, Vincenzo cleared his throat and said mutely, “no, I didn’t.”

“Ayyeee… Are you… jealous?” of course, she had to point that out. She smiled sweetly searching for the answer in his eyes. And it was obvious. But Vincenzo changed the subject quickly.

“Don’t you want to ride it? You were whining all the way here, dying to know what was the surprise.”

“I would love to!” Chayoung spread her arms to the side closing her eyes and patiently waiting till Vincenzo picks her and helps her inside the basket since it was high. She looked like a little kid ready to play the flying plane in her father’s arms.

“There are stairs specifically meant for climbing…”

“I don’t care. It’s not romantic-” she didn’t get to finish her line, suddenly opening her eyes when Vincenzo leaned lower to pick her up in bridal style.

“Then… is this romantic?” He was supposed to help her climb the basket, but was using the chance to . Chayoung’s heart skipped a beat, increasing its pace every time. She casually flipped her hair looking to the city view, away from his teasing eyes and smirking lips. After teasing her enough and not getting a word back, Vincenzo consciously nodded in his head that he was leading in their little flirting games. He helped her in the basket, settling her in gently and Chayoung once again was whipped for her gentleman of a boyfriend. He quickly jumped in next and prepared for the ride.

“Wait… are we going alone? Is there no one who will control this thing?” Chayoung remembered that they were the only ones in the field and there was no one who could instruct them how to fly on the balloon.

“I am going to control it. Don’t worry,” VIncenzo smiled checking the burners and pulling out the weights that were holding the balloon to the ground.

“Since when do you know how to use it?” she smiled amused with a newfound skill of the man. She thought he couldn’t be more perfect. Guess she was wrong.

“I tried skydiving half a year ago, then I saw some people going for the hot air balloon. I thought why not learn it.”

“Ahh… so this is not your first time flying this?”

“No. I’ve got my license a month ago.” Vincenzo smiled looking at the shocked Chayoung.

“You sure come with a lot of surprises, mister.” She looked cute when she was clueless.

Vincenzo smirked cheekily, “Are you ready?”

“Of course, monsier Cassano,” Chayoung reverted back to her excited self. After checking the ground and wind flow, they took off slowly and flew higher to the sky. The day was brighter than ever and there was no cloud in a sight.

Letting out the squeals of happiness, Chayoung looked under and saw that they were getting closer to the Seoul. She only saw Seoul from airplane and Namsan tower, but not from the bird view. They weren’t flying too close to the ground and not too high from it either. This was whole another experience and Chayoung liked it extremely.

When Seoul was seen more clearly and they were going to the centre, Vincenzo brought up two wineglasses and fine bottle of wine from picnic basket that he prepared beforehand. Chayoung was again pleasantly surprised, and gratefully took the offered glass. Vincenzo poured the liquid to their glasses.

“The toast… to ‘the best lawyer in Asia’. Happy birthday, Chayoung-ah!” he held up his glass congratulating her.  He softly gazed at her after whispering her name informally for the first time. Chayoung’s heart skipped a bit at the mention of her first name.

“Thank you,” Chayoung thought for a second, “ Joohyeong… Cassano!” she raised her eyebrows in anticipation. Vincenzo let out an amused and joyful grin, then looked back at her drinking his favorite wine with his favorite person. Chayoung sipped her wine, peacefully looking at the beautiful sun rays that were leaving warm hues on the houses of Seoul.

They talked a little about their everyday lives. Chayoung said how she outshined everybody else in the court and that her cases were done and closed right after. Vincenzo said that their family in Malta was growing, since one of the Cassano family members will be getting married soon. Then they enjoyed the city view and how the water in the Han river was reflecting the sun.

Chayoung became nervous after awhile, when she felt intense gaze piercing through her body. She didn’t know if the temperature was higher because of the burners that were working without a stop or because of the sun shining directly on them without any clouds. She turned to her side only to find Vincenzo already looking at her.

“What?” Chayoung expectantly asked. But without any reply he stepped forward, bringing her closer by the waist, one hand holding the edge of the basket they were in. His empty wineglass left forgotten on the side. Then Vincenzo leaned in to get his sweet kiss that he was waiting for since they were interrupted before.

Chayoung held on to him with one arm, another holding her unfinished drink. She was glad that Vincenzo was holding her tighter, or else her knees would pass out from doing their job and she would fall. The kiss was passionate once again, since they couldn’t hold in their longing for each other. It was intoxicating, in a good way. Vincenzo thought he could do it all day. They finally broke the kiss at the need for some air, then glanced at each other not letting go. Their foreheads still intact, noses brushing just slightly, warm air coming through the open lips.

“You are beautiful that I wanted to kiss you,” Vincenzo said looking straight at her eyes.

“Mister Cassano, did you forget that you are in control of this ship right now, just because I looked dashing?” Chayoung smiled sweetly catching his shocked glance to the burners on the top.

“Guess, I just can’t think of anything else when I’m with you,” Vincenzo replied, after checking that everything was alright.

“Oohh! Nice save!” Chayoung exclaimed merrily, enjoying the rare and beautiful moment together with him.