CHAPTER ONE.

A CROWN OF IRON.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Each summer at every twenty years, the noble Houses in the kingdom of Nifjlorn gather together to outshine their enemies and allies through battle. The Tournament is a widely known event amongst the upper class society of the land, being the only occasion where all riveting Houses can be found in one place upon agreement of maintaining peace outside of the competition's regulations. 

 

At exactly two days before the time of this decade's Tournament, Sera's father was released from the underground prison, sentence for a murder he did not commit. His imprisonment was decided by the court in favour of his popularity due to his strong ties with the late King Jinryeo, not wishing to fulfil Queen Inhye's order of execution and risk receiving the people's scorn, or worse, the happenstance of a riot. However, few vouched for Lord Sehong not being guilty, because he was found in Park Changnam's chamber holding the dagger that ended the ambitious man of the mighty House Vaeros; his hands were dirtied with his blood. Only Sera herself knows the truth, she was there when the King was stabbed repeatedly to his death, hidden behind the velvet curtains of the palace windows. Alas, nobody would believe her, and the precarious matter is that the murderer would do anything to get rid of her should she disclose it. 

 

For twenty years, Queen Inhye has gone out of her way to make their lives a living hell following the death of her husband but they've successfully avoided her wrath and kept to themselves. She was a child when the palace guards took her father away. Ever since that day, Lady Oh Mirae had to guide her family, teaching both Sera and Sehun to let none of the royals' accusations poison their minds and neither allow themselves to yield to the dangers of provocation, instilling in them the integrity of standing by their father's innocence prideful and collected. It was not easy to grow up without the parental support of their father, a feat that shaped her brother into a misunderstood loner and forced her to become a lot more mature and independent as a young woman. They had no choice, so they helped each other rise again every time life seemed like it wouldn't let them reach the starry ceiling of their dreams, tightening the woven hold of their intertwined hands.

 

That's why, Sera never expected Sehun would be the one to fall, fall for the daughter of the woman who has been their embodiment of hopelessness. 

 

 

 

...

 

 

 

 

"Are you sure you want to attend? You have been locked for so long, Sehong. Perhaps it was better to stay back in Majeir..."

 

"And give Inhye a reason to validate my guiltiness? You do know she's waiting for me to tire and bow my head at last, Mirae. That will not happen."

 

Sera's glance travels to her parents on the other side of the carriage as the scenery outside passes them by and the hooves of horses trample the ground below. She frowns, a spark of hatred ignited at the signs of age marring her father's face. He may not be much older than fifty but his time in prison has left its mark, he hasn't seen the sun in years nor has he had good days, all because of that selfish woman, Park Inhye.

 

From her right, she feels Sehun squeeze her hand, pacifying the turmoil underneath her mask of quiet. "I will show them the power of House Ragoth. Have no doubts, sister. They will pay for what they did to father." he whispers to her.

 

"I trust you." she says, knowing not that she will regret this moment.

 

As a woman, Sera can't participate into battle but she is working to change that. She has trained from her teen years to grasp the intricacies of her element, capable to use some of the most complex techniques. To her, air is no longer just a part of nature, it has become a part of herself, an extension of herself. She feels it running through her body when the wind blows and flutters wildly through her hair and the silk of her dress, like energy seizing her chest and thrumming at her fingertips. Her brother is very skillful, that she doesn't disagree, but she's the one whose spiritual link with air grants her something Sehun does not have: grace and shrewd agility. 

 

In a world of masculine authority, she aims to be the change in the current, the feminine insurrection to tip the balance.

 

There are many other formidable women here who can bend the elements. Lady Sarang, Junmyeon's wife, a pleasant, suave user of water. Lady Nara, the young ice mistress of the North. Lady Do Hana, Kyungsoo's mother, short for her stature and yet hard hearted like earth. And ofcourse, Inhye herself. Queen of Nifjlorn, and a queen of fire in its form of merciless scorch.

 

It's too early to tell how the competition will unfold. Sera just knows she has to get into that arena no matter what.

 

Her mother guesses her aspirations as the young female turns to the landscape, her eyes lost in the maze of her thoughts. Mirae has always had a silent but healthy relationship with her daughter, sometimes they would understand each other through looks, enough to mold Sera into the person she is.

 

The enormous colosseum which will host this year's Tournament approaches from the horizon the nearer they get. It appears miniature like in the distance before gradually materializing itself to great lengths, stretching titanically at a height of 640 feet and 500 feet broad. It is a tradition for the event to be organized and overseen by House Claug, because they are able to restore and reconstruct damage caused during fights that may have dire consequences, using their natural element: earth. About an hour later, the carriage makes its grand entrance along the sounds of the audience's cheering, each house being announced upon arrival fastuously. They are led inside the common tower destined to accomodate the noble families on the duration of the competition, which employs assigned servants and guards into ensuring their comfortable lodging. 

 

After they settle in, Sera wanders off and dismisses her handmaid and friend, Mina. Led by her avid curiousity of art and history, she's drawn to the portraits lining the walls of the stone corridors, each depicting important figures from ancient times and even the near past. It's strange how one in particular catches her eye: that of an imperial couple bearing the crests of a House she does not remember, yet their faces stir an effect of deja vu, as if she has seen them before... 

 

She fails to hear the footsteps nearing her spot.

 

From behind her, Prince Park Chanyeol takes in the young lady's smaller build, her brunette, soft hair that spills over her back, the gold embroidery of her dress hugging her subtle waist; the corridor is empty save for them and, his interest piqued, he reaches her with two strides of his long legs. 

 

"...King Jinryeo and Queen Aecha of House Ixu..."

 

Even her voice sounds like the melodious tingle of wind chimes to his ears, reading the gold engraved plate.

 

"Word has it that the painter who did this portrait refused to leave it unfinished during the fall of the Ixu dynasty. He sat in his chamber, painting, while the army outside the walls massacred each other. When they raided the palace, he hid it in a secret compartment under the floor, and commited suicide. There was a note next to his body, Death does not end the story, for we are immortal. It was his handwritting. The painting's slightly smudged, it didn't dry properly."

 

The deep baritone of his speech takes her by surprise but his reco

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter