Final

Never Been This Sure

Yena has always been unsure about the color of her tie that she would be wearing for work every day.

“What do you think, honey? Should I wear the red or the white one?” Yena asked as she held both ties in her hands and alternately places them over her white polo to see which one looks best for her suit. She turned around and looked at her lover who’s currently sitting down by the edge of their bed while playing with her phone and looked at her, patiently waiting for an answer.

Her girlfriend lifted her gaze away from her phone and took a quick look at the ties that Yena was holding. “The red one. Since you are already wearing a white top, wearing a white tie would look kinda funny, right?” The other girl said as she refocused on the game that she was playing. Yena nodded her head in agreement, taking in Yuri’s point, as she faced the mirror once again and finally wore the red tie.

“You’re right, Yul. It does look better.” Yena stated as she fixed her tie one last time before she put on her black coat. She turned around and went to sit on the bed just beside the younger girl. Yena placed a chaste kiss on Yuri’s cheeks, “You’re always right.” She said before snuggling softly by the younger’s neck. Yuri placed down her phone and moved a little away from Yena to face the latter properly, “Oh honey, I know that you know what the right choices are,” Yuri stated, “You just need to trust your decision-making skills a little more” she jokingly continued before pushing Yena off of the bed.

“Go or else you’ll be late for work,” Yuri said. Yena laughed as she stood up while brushing off the dust from her pants before heading to the door. Before completely making it out of the room, she looked back at Yuri one last time, “I love you.” Yena said. The younger smiled at her before answering, “I love you more.”

“So competitive,” Yena thought as she goofily waved goodbye to her lover. And with that, Yena finally went out of the room and headed out of their apartment unit to go to work.

 

---

 

Yena has always been unsure about whether she should take a taxi or the bus when going to work every day.

Yena alternately looked at the bus stop and the taxi station, thinking hard about where she should ride for the day. It’s rush hour so if she would take the bus, the said vehicle would already be cramped up of people and her attire would be ruined by looking all wrinkled and sweaty – and that’s the last (well, maybe second to the last) thing that Yena wants to happen today. But with the other option, which is taking a taxi, the fare would be much more expensive than her usual expenses when riding a bus.

She needs to make a decision fast because if not, she’ll be late for her job, so Yena fished out her phone out of her coat’s pocket and dialed her girlfriend’s number. After about almost 2 rings, Yuri finally picked up, and even before Yena could even speak, Yuri cut her off. “Take a cab.” The younger girl quickly said before hanging up and leaving Yena speechless. Yena shook her head while grinning like an idiot in disbelief, “She knows me too well.” She whispered to herself before jogging briskly to the taxi station’s direction.

 

---

 

Yena has always been unsure of what to eat for lunch.

In the busy atmosphere of the medium-sized cafeteria of their workplace, Yena and her co-worker slash best friend, Yujin, is currently in line and is picking their food for lunch.

“Come on, just pick your side dish already. We’ve been here for about 10 minutes now,” Yujin said as she hurries the older girl by bumping the latter’s shoulder with hers, “Plus, for me to have enough time to fetch my girlfriend and arrange that favor you asked us, I need to finish my work early, so please, just choose whatever already.” Yujin continued after seeing that the older girl has still hasn’t picked anything yet.

“Wait,” Yena said as she continued to scan across the variety of side dishes available.

It was always like this during lunchtime, the older girl would always take time in choosing her food, and just when Yujin thought she has chosen already, Yena would then sigh and give up in deciding and just ask Yujin what to get.

And today, Yena was finally ready to change that habit of hers by picking her food on her own. When she was about to decide, Yujin tapped her shoulder and pointed behind her, “Look” Yujin said.

Yena looked behind her and when she saw what Yujin was pointing at, she just wasted to vanish on the spot. The line now was three times longer than the line a while ago when they started to pick their food. With wide eyes, Yena’s face heated up as she felt all her blood go up to her face in embarrassment. She bowed down to the people and muttered her apologies (even though her co-workers are all patient that they have already grown accustomed to her habit and have no problem with it at all) and faced back to the menu presented to her.

Her confidence in choosing a while ago was all gone now, so to get out of the line and let the people get their own food already, Yena turned to her best friend and asked her, “What should I pick?” she asked as she bounced up and down in anxiousness.

“Just get the crab soup to complement the fried chicken that you got,” Yujin suggested.

“Okay,” Yena replied as she hastily got a bowl of soup before hurriedly moving out of the line.

 

---

 

Yena has always been unsure of her work.

Yena has been staring at the finished presentation that she made for about some time now. She’s trying to double-check every single little detail to make sure that it has no loopholes in preparation for their team’s meeting with their boss on Friday, which is the day after tomorrow.

For the past hour, she has already asked their team leader, Eunbi, multiple times if what she was doing was good enough and the older girl would reassure her every single time that the presentation that she was making was already great and presentable to the higher-ups, but even with these compliments, Yena couldn’t stop fidgeting while looking at her finished work.

She’s been playing with her computer’s mouse trying to decide if she should email her work to their boss’s secretary already or not. She peeked out of her cubicle trying to look for Yujin to ask for some help, but she remembered that the younger girl has already got off of work. After a lot of thinking, Yena finally stood up from her swivel chair and headed to Eunbi’s room. Arriving in front of her leader’s room, she knocked two times to inform the older girl of her presence and when she heard Eunbi shout her affirmation, Yena cautiously peeked inside the room.

After entering, she stood in the center of the room awkwardly trying to look anywhere but Eunbi. “Yena?” Eunbi called her attention and she has no choice but to face her. “What’s the problem?” her leader asked her.

“Uh, is it okay if you check the presentation I did one last time before I send it?” Yena asked shyly as she fiddled with her fingers.

Eunbi chuckled while shaking her head as she stood up from her desk and went near Yena. “Let’s go, I’ll go and check it then get off of work already, okay?” the older girl said as she smiled and patted Yena’s shoulder before heading out of the room with the younger girl following her.

In front of Yena’s computer monitor, Eunbi scanned everything from the start, up until the end of the presentation and turned around to face the nervous Yena. “It’s perfect. Send it then head out already.” Eunbi said as she got off of Yena’s chair and stood beside the younger girl. Yena bowed down and muttered her thanks before sitting down to email her work to the secretary of her boss. Eunbi then headed back to her room but before she went inside of it, she looked back and called Yena’s attention, and when the latter faced her, “Goodluck!” Eunbi shouted as she gave Yena a thumbs up which made the younger girl smile. Yena gave Eunbi an ‘okay’ sign with her fingers before the older girl went inside of her room.

After clicking the send button, Yena turned off her computer and gathered her things before finally getting off of work.

When she got out of the building, she immediately called Yujin.

“Hey, how’s it going?” Yena asked.

“Good. I’ve picked it up already and Minju’s now on her way to your unit.”

“Okay, see you at the venue,” Yena answered and was about to hang up when Yujin suddenly spoke again.

“Are you a hundred percent sure about this, Yena?” Yujin asked.

“Yujin, I’ve never been this sure my entire life,” Yena answered without hesitation.

“Good. See you at the amusement park” Yujin said before ending the call.

Yena looked up in the blue sky above her and closed her eyes as she took a deep breath.

“Today’s the day.” She whispered to herself before running towards the bus station to catch her bus.

 

---

 

But there is one thing that Yena is so sure of, and that is spending her entire lifetime with Yuri.