Final

Dreams Come True

 

 

 

He usually stays just beside the glass walls near the farthest booth where he listens to the subtle music playing from the speakers directly hanging above him. There are some days when he’s just chilling across the bar counter, humming contentedly as he happily sips his latte. When it’s raining, he has this pink raincoat that he always obediently hangs on the hanging rack by the entrance doors before stomping his boots against the rug to avoid ruining the spotless floor with muck.

 

It’s a quaint sight to see, and there’s not a single time when Liu Yangyang never laid his eyes on him. In his perspective, the alluring man is ethereal in his own way, especially the way he interacts with him every time he orders his daily dose of caffeine.

 

Yangyang knows nothing about this handsome customer except for the fact that he’s blind. He regularly visits the coffee house with his trusty walking stick and braille typewriter. Despite the lack of visual recognition, he’s already used to locating the inanimate objects around him using his remaining senses. Sometimes Yangyang wonders if this man really has a disability or not because he functions just like every normal person around him.

 

Not to mention, he has these cute, mesmerizing dimples that always appear every time he greets Yangyang one hour before the end of his shift. It’s such a shame that the lovesick barista only sees him for more or less sixty minutes (which is partly a lie since he always spends extra time after his work hours just to blatantly ogle at him) every day.

 

For the past six months, Yangyang has already memorized his mannerisms - from the way he brushes his auburn locks while patiently standing in the priority line as he waits for his order to arrive, his nose that scrunches adorably when he sneezes, his long, slender lingers that he always raises in the air and absentmindedly twitch them as if he’s playing the piano, up to those, plump lips that are just too tantalizing for Yangyang to withstand.

 

And yes, he badly wants to know more about him, now that his ever-growing crush is slowly dominating his concentration. The stranger is such an eye candy, and sometimes he would even see the ladies flocking around him, asking for his photo or autograph for some reason. Sure, the extra attention makes Yangyang feel jealous but he has still no plans of interacting with him outside the shop.

 

… Not until Donghyuck is nice enough to play as their matchmaker.

 

It’s five o’clock in the afternoon, meaning, Yangyang’s prince charming is about to arrive to boost his serotonin level once more. As usual, he’s trying to fix himself even though his crush doesn’t have the ability to see his appearance. He also stole one of the peppermints from the pantry area in an attempt to freshen his breath. He chowed down a burrito during his lunch break and he doesn't want to sabotage his chances of wooing the man of his dreams just because he has a bad breath.

 

As soon as he hears the wind chimes ringing just above the door, he jerks in his position before practically shoving his friend away from the counter. He hears Donghyuck complaining, but as soon as the latter sees the attractive gentleman effortlessly strutting in their direction, he glances at his coworker and gives him a smirk.

 

“Ah. The devil is once again trying to be nice.” Donghyuck teases as he looms behind his friend who’s now trembling in anticipation. “Just be careful, he might feel your tongue slithering across his arms as soon as he accepts his drink.”

 

“Scram away, you punk.” Yangyang chastises, too busy straightening up his shirt to remove the forming moirés. “He might hear you so get out of our way. You’re making me look bad!”

 

“Suit yourself.” Those are Donghyuck’s final words before he disappears right behind the kitchen door, leaving Yangyang alone to give him the chance to have a conversation with his crush. Once the man manages to stop in front of the expectant boy with the help of his walking stick, he plasters his usual smile that immediately makes Yangyang’s heart melt.

 

“Hi.” A baritone voice welcomes the barista’s ears. He's wearing a burgundy trench coat that perfectly accentuates his tall frame. A white, fluffy scarf is wrapped around his neck where Yangyang notices a necklace peeking out of the soft material right above the man’s alabaster chest.

 

Yangyang can’t help but smile from ear to ear as he tries to remain professional. Clearing his throat, he finally returns the pleasantry by using the amiable voice he regularly uses whenever he’s talking with the customers. “Good afternoon, sir. I reckon that you want to have the usual one, am I right?”

 

“I do.” The customer cheekily responds. He looks so breathtaking, like a model who randomly popped out of a Vogue magazine. For a moment, Yangyang becomes a gargoyle statue as he stupidly gapes, stuck in a trance before snapping back to reality when he hears the man’s voice once more. “M-May I request something? Please add an extra cup since I badly need to keep myself awake. Nowadays work is so stressful I can’t help but consume more caffeine…”

 

He’s trying to have small talk with me. Yangyang internally squeals. His face lights up in delight as he writes down the customer’s order. With one swift pull, the man hands over his payment and his Person with Disability (PWD) card, but before that, he pauses for a bit, tilting his head down as if he’s thinking about something that he forgot about.

 

“Is there something wrong?” The young barista asks in pure curiosity. The gentleman just shakes his head, chuckling lightly as he places his card onto the counter. “Nothing. It’s just… I remembered something totally irrelevant.”

 

“Okay…” Yangyang mumbles, unsure of what to reply even though he’s tempted to ask more. He’s about to turn around when he notices the customer blushing, his ears turning pink. He looks very nervous all of a sudden as if he just wants to walk away and hide his embarrassment. This makes Yangyang genuinely concerned so he reaches out his hand to clasp the man’s quivering hands.

 

“Mister, are you alright?” He asks, his worry evident in his voice. He doesn’t notice the smirking Donghyuck just a few feet behind him, observing the cliché scene that would probably make Yangyang grateful for the rest of his life. Shrugging his shoulders, he reenters the kitchen, whispering, “My part is already done. Now it’s up to you to accept the proposal, Yangie.”

 

Meanwhile, the blushing duo remains adamant to open up another topic. his dry lips, the gentleman takes a deep breath. “C-Can I ask you something…?” He whispers, his face still downcast. Yangyang lowers his head, trying to catch a glimpse of the man’s expression. “Sure.”

 

“D-Do you like lattes?”

 

“I think so.” Yangyang answers, still not understanding where the conversation is heading to. “Why do you ask?”

 

The man becomes silent again for a few seconds, his fingers slightly twitching against Yangyang’s soft palms. Sharply inhaling, he retracts his arms away and hides his hands inside his pockets. “It’s just… I hate staying past bedtime.”

 

“… A lot of people dislike being sleep deprived.” Yangyang agrees. “Wait a sec. Then why do you keep on drinking coffee every single day?”

 

He also ruminates that it’s a weird time to grab a cup of java every five o’clock in the afternoon. Some people have high caffeine tolerance, but still, he firmly believes that coffee should be taken in moderation.

 

“I love coffee, it warms my soul.” The man continues to blather. He keeps on turning his head sideways which Yangyang finds adorable. “But lately, I-I mean… For a while now… I’ve been thinking about you… A lot.”

 

“… Eh?” Is all Yangyang can say. He’s blankly staring at his crush as if he has gotten another head. Blinking hard, he leans over the counter to close the gap between them. “Pardon. I think I misheard you.”

 

“Here are two cups of latte, perfect for a romantic scene like this.” Dongyuck interjects behind him. Yangyang sees his friend snickering as he slips the tray in front of him, and before he vanishes from his sight, he throws another teasing look at his coworker before saying, “And no, you don’t need to thank me.”

 

The coffee smells heavenly, but its aroma isn’t enough to dispel the boy’s bewilderment. Trying to ignore Donghyuck’s words, Yangyang is about to hand over the tray when the gentleman stops him. “N-No. You should keep the other one. After all, it’s for you.”

 

“It’s for me? Oh, okay. Wait, what?!” Yangyang exclaims. For a hopeless romantic like him, he’s too slow to decipher the man’s signals which are relentlessly manifesting in front of him ever since his arrival.

 

The awkward yet cute expressions, the trembling of his hands, the weird, random explanation about caffeine…

 

Finally, the fumbling man decides to drop the bomb.

 

“Listen, can I ask you out after your shift? Your friend Donghyuck told me that you don’t have night classes every Wednesday so I was kind of hoping to… Uh… To---”

 

“Y-Yes! T-That would be great!” His words are too sharp and squeaking, and Yangyang wants to disappear the moment he realizes just how desperate he sounds. Regardless, the confession is too sudden for his pea-sized brain to register everything he just heard. Still gawking in disbelief, he shakily presses the cup of latte in his customer’s hands. “I-I mean… Yes. That would be great.” He repeats, this time his tone much calmer and lucid.

 

There’s a blinding smile that blooms from the man’s face. He accepts the drink, purposefully enveloping his huge palms around the boy’s softer ones in order to touch him. Yangyang’s face blushes in beet red, and it takes him a lot of willpower just to prevent himself from screaming like a lunatic.

 

The sensation is overly euphoric and addicting. He can’t believe that he just experienced the blessing of Aphrodite.

 

“S-See you soon, I guess?” The hopeful gentleman offers. He still looks sheepish, but the look on his face is enough for Yangyang to assume that he’s internally celebrating. Those blank eyes of him are lifeless and dull but he can clearly see the way they crinkle in crescent moons as he continues to take Yangyang’s breath away.

 

“Can I ask you another question before I return to work?” Yangyang speaks up when the gentleman is about to walk over to his usual spot. The latter quickly spins his heels and faces the boy once more, his walking stick tapping against the wooden floor. “Of course, sweetheart. You can ask me everything.”

 

Dammit! Just stop smiling you’re making me feel like I’m about to burst like a balloon! Scratching his nape, Yangyang goes out of his station until he’s standing in front of his crush.

 

Up close, he’s even drop-dead gorgeous and the scent of his cologne is so beguiling. Everything about him is perfect – from his personality, his physique, and even the way he dresses. Yangyang can already imagine what it feels like to press himself up against that sturdy chest as he snuggles his nose in the crook of his potential lover’s neck.

 

Potential lover. Now he’s thinking way too ahead of their time.

 

Grinning like an idiot, Yangyang finally grabs the chance to ask for the answer he has been itching to know. “May I know your name, sir?”

 

 

 

“People call me Jaehyun since it’s my pseudonym.” The man reveals. “But for a stunning person like you, I’ll disclose to you my real name. It’s Jung Yoonoh, the person who has been hopelessly in love with you since the first time I hear your enchanting voice.”

 

“Yoonoh…” Yangyang repeats, trying to taste the words rolling out of his mouth. He likes the sound of it. “That’s… That’s a beautiful name. I like it.”

 

“And I like yours too.” Jaehyun replies. “See you later, Yangyang-ssi.” He gives Yangyang’s arm a gentle squeeze before finally settling himself in one of the booths, leaving the boy in a state of ecstasy as if he just hit the jackpot.

 

Right after their encounter, Dongyuck appears in front of him like a mushroom, beaming as he pulls his friend inside the kitchen. Once Yangyang has fully recovered, he gives his coworker a bone-crushing hug.

 

“Listen, I know you’re an impish minx but I never expect you to do this for me!” Yangyang rambles, still grateful for the opportunity that has been bestowed upon him. Accepting the compliment, Donghyuck just waves his hands dismissively before grabbing the tray filled with doughs inside the storage room.

 

“You’re lucky that he’s an acquaintance of mine.” Dongyuck confesses, making Yangyang’s jaw drop. “And you never told me about it?!”

 

“In my defense, he didn’t want you to know.” Donghyuck calmly explains. “He’s three years older than us plus he’s my senior in the literature club when he was still studying in the university. Despite being blind, he’s an excellent writer and he has been hopelessly trying to make a move on you. Poor guy just needs some help to do the job. He was so happy when I told him everything about you.”

 

“Wow…” Yangyang reacts. “I never thought that our feelings are mutual.”

 

It’s a wonderful dream come true. He never imagined that his life as a part-time barista will grant him something like this.

 

“Do you know the reason why he fell in love with a guy like me?” Yangyang continues to interrogate his coworker. Slightly annoyed, Donghyuck just shakes his head and faces him. “Obviously, he isn’t straight… Why don’t you just ask him instead? I think it’ll make you feel even better.”

 

“I can’t believe I’m going to have a date again after two years… This is the best day of my life!” Yangyang engulfs his friend with a warm embrace for the second time.

 

“I promise, I’ll return your act of kindness soon.” Yangyang declares. “I’m gonna try my best to set you up with Xuxi!” He adds before happily skipping out of the kitchen.

 

Donghyuck just fondly shakes his head. “As if I have a chance on that giant brute. He’s even denser than the air.”

 

Seeing Yangyang happy is more than enough for him. As cheesy it may sound, he values his friendship with him even though they bicker from time to time. Soon after, he follows his coworker behind the counter where he sees him giggling like a teenager while gazing in Jaehyun’s direction.

 

“Easy there, Juliet. He might caramelize just by receiving your piercing stares.” Donghyuck retorts. “I know that he’s ing handsome but give the guy a break.”

 

 

 

 

 

“I couldn’t agree with you more.” Yangyang dreamily sighs. He just can’t wait for his shift to end and get to know more about his crush.