Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon

Serendipity

The next day was the first meeting of the choir Ana accompanied for, which was exciting for her.
Ana loved music a lot, though not born with the talent to sing she learned to write music, lyrics and even play piano.

Set to meet the choir’s new soloist, she arrived early and started warming up.

"Hey." A deep voice whispered next to her ear, and she almost jumped out of her skin, her heart beating wildly.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you," the culprit grinned.

"You obviously did, you liar!” Ana huffed, “Are you stalking me?"

"As if," Hyungwon smiled mischievously “I’m the new soloist”.

Okay, universe, I get it. “Unbelievable,” is what she said.

“What are the odds, right?”

“Whatever.”

“Good, you guys met.” Minhyuk smiled brightly, he's the cutest person to ever smile according to Ana.

“We did.” Hyungwon smiled back.

“Yeah, I was just about to hear him sing.”

“Good, I’m just in time then.” Minhyuk moved to stand behind Ana and her heart went all pitter patter.

“What are you gonna sing?” She asked Hyungwon.

“Can’t help falling in love.”

“Okay, I’ll start then.” She pulled the music sheet for the song and stated playing.

Hyungwon started singing on cue, his voice was beautiful, smooth and rich, Ana was instantly taken with it; but more than his voice the way he looked into her eyes and she couldn’t look away, the feeling was intense.

When the last note faded Minhyuk clapped his hands and the bubble of intensity burst. She had almost forgotten he was there.

“Just what I’ve been looking for, Hyungwon, welcome to the team, I’ll be back in ten so you could meet everyone and we can start practice.” He patted Ana's shoulder and waved bye.

Ana gave a small wave and a smile back.

“So…” Hyungwon started.

“What?”

“Now that we’re … teammates? Colleagues? Can you please help me?”

“Nope, can’t do.”

“Afraid Minhyuk might get the wrong idea?”

Ana glared at Hyungwon then neutralized her expression, “I don’t know what you mean.”

“Oh please, you aren’t fooling anyone, I bet he knows too.”

Ana ignored him and started scrolling through her phone.

“I’m just sparing you heartache, it’s the best revenge to date me, or make him jealous if he’s interested.”

“Hyungwon,” she called.

He hummed.

“Shut up.”

Practice went well all things considered; they were to hold four performances through the semester and decided to start off with the classic ‘Hallelujah’ which was met with a few groans, it wasn’t the easiest song for non-English speakers but they had to appease the faculty.

"I didn't know you were a music major?" Hyungwon mused as he walked next to her as they head out of the music room.

"I'm not."

“Liberal arts?" He asked.

"Nope," she said with a fake smile.

“What happened to the soloist I’m replacing?”

“Army.”

"Back with the short answers I see! Well then, I have a class to get to on the other side of campus so I’ll text you later, have a nice day." he smiled cutely and turned west.

Ana felt bad for being rude as she was conditioned to be nice; he wasn’t a bad guy and she could even see potential for friendship or even... ‘Ugh stop’ she mentally yelled at herself.

“Who’s the cute guy? He’s so pretty, let’s keep him.”

Ana was startled out of her thoughts by Jisoo’s expected comment, as the latter joined her on the walking path.

“No.” She deadpanned.

“I see how you ignored my question but I will find out, anyways the advanced economy class TA is so hot, is there a rule about that?”

“Probably, either way you shouldn’t; he’ll fail you if things go south.”

“How would you know that?”

“Men are trash, duh” Ana shrugged.

“Touché, wanna have lunch together?"

“Sure.”

“Okay, meet you at the plaza after class.”

Ana gave her a thumb up.

After class she received a text from Hyungwon, [have lunch with me, please >.<], she read the message and left him on read. Self care.

Later that night Ana was in the library browsing the Korean literature section for some novels, it helped her with the language.

“You’re a Korean language major then?”

Ana jumped at the sound, she looked up and saw him through the shelves.

“What is wrong with you?” She whisper-yelled.

“Why are you so jumpy?”

“Because you’re stalking me?!”

“Again, as if! We just happen to go to the same university.”

“Leave me alone, and no, I’m not a KL major.” She grabbed the novel and headed towards the checkout kiosk.

“ Come on, just have lunch with me once.”

“Again no, thanks! I do not feel like getting murdered.”

“I promise there will be no murder. Also there will be many witnesses around.”

“Fine, text me tomorrow, I might show up.”

“Thank you, you won’t regret it.”

“Already am!” She checked her book out and left.