Favor

Serendipity

The following Tuesday Ana found herself face to face with Mrs. Chae once again, something she had not expected at all; she had told Hyejin after returning from the date that she would not be doing her any more favors especially of the blind date kind, so Ana had thought or rather hoped that would be the last of the Chaes she’ll ever see (well, mostly hoped if she was being entirely honest which she wasn’t), but then she found herself in the predicament at hand.

Ana crouched down to the kids’ level, “hey can you guys run ahead of me, I’ll be right with you, okay?” she said quietly.

Minsoo (9) nodded and took his sister Mina’s (7) hand and started running towards the golf range while Ana smoothed her mini-skirt, fixed her sweater and braced herself for impact.

“Hyejin what a lovely coincidence,” Mrs. Chae greeted enthusiastically.

‘ing hell’ but what she said was, “Mrs. Chae nice to see you again.” 

“I hadn’t seen Hyungwon since the date, I hope it went well,” she smiled.

“It was good,” Ana smiled awkwardly.

“Oh how wonderful, my son is such a kind boy I hope you give him a chance.”

“I’m sure he is, now if you’ll excuse me I have to see the kids.”

“Absolutely darling, go ahead, my spa appointment should be soon as well.”

Ana walked towards the golf range where Minsoo and Mina had started their golf lesson which she was responsible for monitoring; however she couldn’t shake her feelings of uneasiness.

Hyungwon prided himself in his independence from his family... kind of.
He had moved into the dorms at the beginning of the school year as he had done for the past four years and he only visited on weekends and holidays or when his mother forced him to.
Well if he was being entirely honest he did come back occasionally to have his laundry done for him and have Misun –their housemaid for nearly 30 years- fuss over him and feed him his favorite dishes, such was that Wednesday.

He sat in the kitchen eating a bowl of homemade Bibimbap especially made for him -seeing as he was quite the picky eater- while awaiting his laundry to be done.

“Your mother is here,” the young maid announced standing at the kitchen door.

Hyungwon stopped moving his spoon half-way to his mouth, “does she know I’m here?”

“No.”

The young girl smiled, “your laundry is almost done though.”

“Thank you, I’ll be waiting here, and don’t tell her.” He said returning to his food.

“Mina,” his mother called walking into the kitchen looking for the young maid, “Hyungwon, dear.” 

Busted. “Mother, hi,” he smiled and stood up to give her a hug, she was overbearing but still his mother.

“I’m glad you’re here, I met Hyejin yesterday at the hotel with her siblings, such a lovely girl,” she gushed.

“Hm,” Hyungwon hummed and nodded while eating mostly so he wouldn’t answer. 
“I think you should try your chance with her.”

“Mother I don’t think she’s interested,” he said.

“Nonsense, where would she find someone like you?” She sat across from him at the kitchen table.

“Mother,” he sighed exasperated.

“Okay, if not her than maybe the Kim’s daughter.”

“Can you just give it a rest, mother?” 

“You’ll be graduating soon, your brother’s getting married and you will start working with your father, it’s time you started thinking about a family.” She said impatiently.

“Your laundry my dear,” Misun walked in with his bag.

Thankful for the save he stood up and received the bag, “thank you for the meal auntie Misun, I’ll be going now.” 

"Hello, fake Hyejin?" 

"The you want?" Ana sighed, she was walking to the bus station to go home after a long day and she was in a mood. 

"You know my mother said you’re just the most polite angel; I can’t see it." 

"I'm hanging up." 

"Wait, hear me out...”

“What?"

“My mother keeps gushing about you; she thinks we should date." 

"So? Just grow a pair and say no.” She stated obviously.

"I don't want to, then she'll just set me up with someone else." He explained. 

"And I care because?"

"Just for the rest of the semester," he pleaded. 

"Like hell I would?" 

"I'll have you know, a lot of girls would kill to be you right now."

She rolled her eyes even though he couldn't see her, "great, then go ask them." 

"I don't have to, because you will be my girlfriend for the semester." 

"And why is that?"

"Well, unless you want me to expose you for pretending to be the Kang family's daughter, that’s identity theft." He was bluffing. 

“Go ahead, I don’t care, what are they gonna do? Fire me? Ooh I’m scared.”

“Please, I’m begging you, I’m sure we can find a way so we can both benefit from this.”

"Doubt it.”

“How about we meet in person and talk about this, maybe I can convince you.”

“No, thanks, don’t feel like getting murdered.”

“During day time in a public place, tomorrow for lunch, please? This is the most begging I have ever done for a girl to go out with me.” He huffed.

“Good for you! My answer is no. Good luck or not.” 
At the moment she hung up she really considered walking in front of the coming bus to avoid the mess she got herself into but it felt a tad bit too dramatic. 

Ana took her usual bus to Sinchon-dong where her dorm was; the building was a short walk from the bus station, located at Yonsei university where she was pursuing a degree in nursing.

Ana went through the motions, entering the elevator and inserting her keycard, making her way to her single room, she took off her shoes and made a bee-line to her bed to flop face first into the mattress, she sighed, troubled and heavy with anguish.