Chapter 2

Be Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

THE HOSPITAL WAS BUZZING AS USUAL WITH PATIENTS WHEN YURI ARRIVED FOR HER SHIFT THE DAY AFTER THE CHARITY BALL. She greeted the nurses who bowed at her and smiled at the patients who recognized her as she made her way up to the 5th floor where the residence's lounge was. She got into the elevator that was luckily empty and let out a breath, still feeling tired from the ball at her in-laws. She remembered how she almost staggered on her way up to the penthouse due to her feet hurting from wearing high heels for too long, but Kris had held onto her elbow to stable her and let her clung onto his arm while the other was occupied with the sleeping Sophia.

Kris didn’t say much during the time – he never did say more than he needed to around her – but Yuri had felt his concern and noticed how he kept glancing at her as they made their way up to the penthouse. She immediately took off her high heels when they got to the highest floor of the Wu Tower, and only then he dropped his arm and went up to the second floor to lay Sophia down in her bed. Yuri could only watch him go, somehow feeling hollow and ashamed for not having the chance to thank him.

The sound of the elevator opening brought her back to reality, and she automatically straightened up a little to bow at the man that had just walked in. The man acknowledged her with a bow of his head and a smile. The man was Dr. Cho Kyuhyun, an associate professor of cardiothoracic surgery. Yuri wasn’t sure of his actual age due to his younger look, but she’s heard rumor that the man was actually older than her and could possibly be even older than her husband.

“Did you just come in?” he asked as the elevator rode up.

She smiled. “Yes, Professor. I see you’ve just arrived too.”

“Yeah, well. I have to prep for a surgery in an hour. Would you happen to know if Dr. Lee is in already?” he asked her, fishing out his phone at the same time.

“Um, that I wouldn’t know, Professor. I haven’t seen him yet.”

Kyuhyun sighed at that. “He’d better not be late for the surgery for I’ll hang him for sure,” she heard him grumble under his nose, making her smile to herself. When the door opened on her floor, Yuri bowed her head with a small goodbye and walked out the door, but just before it closed, Kyuhyun called out, “If you see Donghae, tell him to find me at my office.”

“Yes, Professor,” she managed to say before the closed again. Yuri chuckled quietly to herself. I’m sure Dr. Lee will be late again, she thought amusedly to herself as she made her way to the resident’s lounge. “Good morning,” she greeted the other three residents who were in the room, and being the most senior of them all, they all got up from their seats to bow to her as they greeted her back.

“How was your weekend, Dr. Cha?” Minseo, a second-year resident whose desk was next to hers asked as she settled down.

“Um, it was okay,” Yuri replied. “How was yours? Were you on call this weekend?”

Minseo shook her head with a pout. “No, but I had to come into the office still,” she said, looking like she was still not done sulking over her weekend being robbed.

“Oh, why is that?”

“Dr. Cho and I were asked to deal with some charts,” she whispered to her. Yuri frowned and turned her head to the only male resident in the room who seemed to be frowning down at something on his computer. “As you can already tell, we’re not even done yet.”

“Oh yeah, Dr. Cha!” Hajin, another second-year resident suddenly exclaimed, head popping up from behind her computer screen. “I heard there was a charity dinner at the Wu’s estate the other night. You were there, right?”

“Oh yeah, we saw the photos!” Minseo giggled, eyes sparkling. “You looked so beautiful in that golden dress. And CEO Wu was so good looking!”

“Yah, Seo Minseo. Please behave,” their only male resident, Il-Kwon, warned the other with a sigh. “Seriously, have some respect for Dr. Cha. That’s her husband you were gushing about.”

Minseo had the decency to look embarrassed at her reaction, whispering her apology to Yuri who smiled awkwardly in response. She understood the fascination young ladies have on her husband; he’s lean and tall, handsome, has chiseled jaw and really looked like Adonis himself – basically, he was the male lead of every young girl’s fantasy (and wet dreams). She was used to the whole gushing and fangirling thing, but it would get really awkward once the people around her remember that she was the wife of the man they were dreaming about.

“Um, I actually have a question,” Hajin started, and Yuri felt it in her bones that she wasn’t going to like it.

“It’s not work related, is it?” she asked, earning herself a guilty grin. She sighed. Might as well get it over with, she thought. “Alright, what is it?”

“How is it like… married to CEO Wu?”

“Yah, how can you ask that?!” Minseo exclaimed with a gasp.

Il-Kwon sighed from his desk. “Girls,” he muttered under his breath, earning a glare from the other two residents.

Yuri sighed and shrugged. “I can’t really answer that,” she decided to say. “I mean, it’s like any other marriages I guess.”

“Ayy, I doubt that,” Minseo countered. “What is CEO Wu really like, Dr. Cha? I mean he always look so mean and cold, but he must be different at home, right? Tell us, is he a romantic? Does he shower you with expensive gifts?”

“I bet he does! Didn’t you see the dress Dr. Cha was wearing at the charity dinner? It must’ve caused a fortune!”

The ‘interrogation’ was starting to get a little too much, so Yuri pretended to get a call from someone and left the office in the midst of their conversation, flashing an apologetic smile to the young residents who watched her leave with disappointment on their faces. Yuri managed to grab her white coat and tried her best not to bolt out of the room to avoid suspicions and released a deep sigh once she was walking down the corridor.

“Might as well start my rounds now,” she mumbled as she glanced at the time on her watch.

Time always seemed to move faster when she was working, but Yuri figured it was because she was doing something she loved. Ever since she was young she had wanted to become a doctor, and here she was walking around the hospital corridors with her white lab coat, making her rounds and attending to patients. She had to attend to a few patients that came into the A&E, assisted in a minor surgery in the afternoon, and made more rounds; and by the time she noticed the time, it was almost sundown.

“Dr. Cha, are you one of the residents on call tonight?” one of the nurses asked as she stood at the nurses’ station, reading some charts.

“Uh, no. It’ll be Dr. Cho and Dr. Song,” she replied distractedly, eyes trained on the chart in her hands. She was so focused on it that she didn’t notice her phone ringing until the nurse mentioned it to her. Bewildered, she quickly fished out her phone and paused when she saw the name on the screen. “What?” she mumbled in surprise.

“Aren’t you going to answer it?” the nurse asked, reminding her of the caller waiting for her.

“Oh, um, yes,” she replied and handing the chart over to the nurse. “I’ll be right back,” she told her distractedly and turned to walk down the hall as she finally answered the phone. “Hello?”

“Did I catch you a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter