Chapter 4: Acting as a Squid Girl is a Commandment of Survival

The Male Leads Can't Leave Us Alone

“S-Sorry,” the female lead, Celestia, voiced out while getting back on her feet. A flush of light pink tinting her cheeks was revealed as she tucked a silky lock of hair of similar colour behind her ear. Her shy expression coupled with her fluttering pale lashes made for quite a scene, surely stirring the hearts of many men around her.

An audible cough was heard as the male lead, Zenith, avoided her gaze and began walking away from where they both stood. “How clumsy.”

With that brief remark, he went on his way, leaving the female lead bewildered and full of wonder over the fiery man that came and went like a flame.

Though the scene marked the essential heart thumping moment of how the main stars of the novel came to know of each other’s existence, Jennie and Rose’s hearts were thumping for an entirely different reason.

“Ahh, Rose!” Jennie began, as she and Rose tried to make their presence as small as possible by hiding behind a wall away from the commotion of the two biggest gravity pullers in this world. “It’s really happening! We’re really in that novel ‘Celestial Romance’!”

Rose nodded her head as she placed a hand over her chest at the situation that cemented the reality that this was in fact the novel ‘Celestial Romance’. A book that had mixed reviews due to the clichés and typical plot devices used to propel the story forward. Rose’s worries began to fester a little more at remembering all the future situations the female lead will face and how innocent people get caught in the crossfire of her finding true love and companionship. She definitely did not want to be part of the fertiliser that fed the growth of Celestia’s happiness.

“You’re right, Jen. Let’s try to keep away from those 5 pillars of destruction. Let’s make it through high school with no drama,” Rose said determinedly. Jennie nodded with the same level of determination as they made their way out of school to return back to their respective houses.

Their second year of high school would begin a month from now. Today was simply a day for them to collect their end of year report cards and hand in the relevant forms before the beginning of the new school term.

Hmm, isn’t it a bit early for the mains to meet? Weren’t they supposed to meet on the first day of the actual school term? Jennie thought as she hugged a bunny pillow, sitting cross legged on her bed. Shaking her head, she thought it was simply because of the minor change of her and Rose placing at the top ranks of their grade. Though the timing changed, the actual situation on how they met did not, so Jennie simply concluded that things would be fine. Taking in a deep breath before smiling to herself, she was actually looking forward to the new school year albeit the extra amount of effort she would have to exert on keeping her grades up, especially if she wanted to live up to her declaration of beating Atlas Castor by 0.5% instead of the measly 0.1% difference in their overall marks.

NEW SCHOOL YEAR

Donning the pale turquoise blazer over a crisp white shirt with the standard black skirt covering most of her thighs, Rose adjusted the ribbon on her shirt collar that signified one as a second-year, before leaving her car as it reached the entrance of the school. Jennie was already at the entrance sporting the same uniform but wearing thigh high black socks, contrasting to Rose who was wearing simple white ankle socks.

“It’s lucky this school is based on fantasy. Otherwise you wouldn’t even be able to go into school with how you’re dressed,” Rose said disapprovingly as she squinted her eyes unfavourably upon Jennie’s short skirt and black socks.

“Tsk, tsk,” Jennie sounded, her forefinger shaking in the air as if to scold Rose. “How long will I be this pretty and young? I have to make it worth my while!”

Jennie twirled as if to show off the fresh charms she had as a 17-year old girl but all Rose could see was a middle aged woman nauseatingly pretending to be a cute girl.

“I will smack you,” Rose said menacingly, before walking ahead into the school building. Jennie followed soon after, not caring about being smacked by the delicate yet icy Rose.

“Eh~ how can you say that? Jennie will be hurt hmph,” Jennie complained, exaggerating her cuteness to act like a typical flower-like female comic character.

“Agh, stop that!” Rose complained, before laughing out loud at how ridiculous Jennie’s acting was.

Jennie smirked as her character did a complete 180. “You forget I know you have a weakness for exaggerated cuteness. I will use it against you. Mwahahaha!”

Smacking Jennie’s left arm to shut her up, both of them made their way to the board that showed which classes they were in for the year and surely enough, both of them were still in the same class this year as well.

“Yay!” Jennie exclaimed in happiness. “I look forward to another year with you, my comrade.”

Rose sighed. “Don’t complain about studying. No whining, no moping.”

Jennie nodded vigorously. “No whining! No moping! Let’s go, let’s go!”

Dragging Rose to their new class, both of them decided to sit smack bang in the center of the class as it was the least conspicuous and most ordinary place to sit based on their analysis of romance novels. They had no choice as freshmen as they got transported when seats were already decided, but this year, it was a new ball game.

The front rows were for the smart students who attracted quite a bit of attention, both positive and negative while the back was home to popular people including jocks, rich girls and of course, the magnets that were the male leads and female lead. On the contrary, the middle area was for the normies! Normies like Jennie and Rose. It was perfect.

“Do you know who else is in our class?” Jennie asked, excitement over being in the same class as Rose overshadowing her curiosity over her other classmates for the year.

Rose pondered. “I think I saw Atlas Castor and Phoenix Celaeno on the roster.”

Jennie slumped her shoulders. “That broody kid again?”

“What do you have against him anyway?” Rose asked, curious as to why out of the four leads, Jennie was always sensitive about Atlas Castor.

Jennie shook her head. “No big deal. I just keep accidentally meeting eyes with him. I worry I’ll lose to that face someday.”

Rose felt her eye twitch. Who was the one who said they needed to steer clear away from the male leads? Why are you playing cat kisses with each other?

“You’re looking for a death wish. He is Celestia’s belonging. Don’t ever forget that,” Rose reminded sternly.

Jennie widened her eyes in surprise at Rose’s hostility. “Heyyy, I’m just saying he’s handsome. I definitely don’t want any links to those five. I just… want to look at Atlas like a… a globe in a display.”

Rose scoffed. “A globe? Didn’t realize you were such a fan of collector’s items.”

Jennie rested her head on her propped up left arm before giving Rose a smug look. “My eyes do all the travelling over the globe that is Atlas Castor.”

“You are disgusting,” Rose quipped, before getting back to her notebook to refresh her knowledge of last year’s topics and ignoring ert Jennie altogether.

TWO WEEKS LATER

Ahh, this is the worst, Jennie thought to herself as she stood side by side with Atlas Castor in front of their English teacher. Everyone in class had left to go to lunch and unluckily, Jennie and Atlas were a tad slower than the others, catching the attention of the teacher who needed two healthy young slaves to carry the pile of homework back to his office.

Let’s calm down. He probably doesn’t even care or notice my existence, Jennie thought as she dared herself to catch a glimpse of Atlas on her right. A scowl automatically formed on his face as he felt Jennie’s secret gaze on him.

Wahh, hostile much? Scary, definitely scary, Jennie thought as she focused her attention back to the English teacher thanking them for being model students and what not.

As they began piling up the books individually, Jennie saw Atlas quickly ditching the classroom to go ahead, not caring to spare a glance at Jennie. Jennie felt relieved at his absence but the cogs in her mind began working a mile a minute.

A girl who was supposed to adore and fawn over him, not taking up the chance to spend this short, sweet moment together sending books to the office that was a significant way away? That would definitely hoist up some unwanted flags!

Jennie quickly made her way out the classroom and quickly caught up with the broody, hostile 17-year old baby Adonis, catching him off guard at her presence. Smiling towards him as if he was the most valuable treasure this world had to offer, Jennie cranked up her ability to act like a lovesick fool and kept her gaze locked on to Atlas Castor, much to his chagrin.

The more Atlas glared at her, the more Jennie smiled lovingly towards him, as if his small bit of attention, though violent, was enough to fill her heart for centuries. The more he hastened his pace, the quicker Jennie walked to match his long strides, as if just being close to him was enough, even if she could never capture his heart.

As they finally reached the teacher’s office, Jennie’s eyes kept trailing after Atlas, obvious hearts in her eyes while there were obvious thunderbolts in his.

“I’m done. Don’t follow me,” Atlas ordered curtly, swiftly leaving the wide-eyed Jennie who seemed regretful that their brief time together was over. Jennie heard an audible exasperated sigh as he left the room leaving Jennie in a position that seemed like she wanted to grab him and tell him to stay longer.

Dropping her hand as quickly as she dropped her façade, Jennie let out a sigh of relief and flipped her hair back behind her, proud of her performance this time.

“That punk… No wonder you’re third. That personality…” Jennie grumbled as she renewed her hatred over broody men. “Tch, tch, TCH!” Jennie spat out while organising the books they both carried on the teacher’s desk as Atlas simply plopped it on the table before scurrying away.

Finally satisfied with the neatly piled books, Jennie left the office and made her way to where she and Rose promised to meet to have lunch. Thinking about the delicious savoury pithivier Jennie asked Rose to buy for her as she was caught up in running an errand only students experience, Jennie did not notice the tall, viridian eyed boy hiding nearby, a look of confusion decorating his usually apathetic yet attractive face.