Three

Glass Ocean
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

San waltzed past the wizened hazel bushes that edged the remains of the floral beds that had been finally left unattended when the first nights of frost had arrived about a week past and the weather had taken a turn to colder. Reminded of the fact San not being able to deter a sneeze before he rubbed his chilled hands together, hoping not to catch an actual cold like his mother had. Tightening the scarf around his neck as headed towards the paddock, glancing at old Humphrey who was still sound asleep at afternoon, uncommonly laying on top of the hays that had been gathered to the corner for his comfort. San being able to imagine how the animal's knees must've killed him if he wasn't even able to stand all that much anymore, after shaking his head at the horse's swiftly worsened condition continuing on to the corrals where the rest of the animals had been relocated. Smile forming on his lips as his gaze found the lively calf, the baby cow releasing a joyful moo when his namesake spotted his approaching form from afar.

That day San had arrived to the abbey much later than normally, as after Yuri had abruptly developed a fever last evening, San had been delayed by taking care some of the housework she was unable to perform as well as making sure her to get the rest essential for her quick recovery without needlessly getting up and making her state worse. Yuri's stubbornness giving San no other choice but to fetch Mrs. Caldwell, the wife of their neighbor to keep an eye on her while he was gone. But now all the work finished at his house he'd hurried to his place of commission as soon as had been able, now leveling a mischievous stare at the young cow who pushed his head trough the beams of the corral to greet him. San letting out a laugh once he heard the calf to moo impatiently, knowing very well what he was after as the animal's muzzle fumbled his jacket pocket, San placing the ladders he was carrying to lean against the corral as handed over the routine treat he'd come to offer for the little guy.

"Good afternoon you guzzler", San told him, watching the cow swallow the grass in no time before mooing at him for more. Just as San's wandering eyes happened to locate a flower that had apparently pushed through the mattress of dead leaves and frosty ground due to the last warm rays of the autumn, miraculously survived from the cold, the small petals reaching for the sky as if indeed chasing after the warmth that had made it bloom out of season, but which had already withdrawn at the face of mid September. Him bending down to pluck it without much of a thought before patted the calf on his muzzle, as a response the animal starting to on his caressing thumb. He was one entertaining rascal. Which was why San found it unbelievable that the superior nun of the convent had found it but fitting to name the calf after him.

"Oi, I'm not your mum. You won't be getting anything else from me that way."

So he said. But it was then when the calf noticed the flower in his hand, perking up by the sight of his ears rising as he almost managed to gobble up the flower to eat it, San jerking it away from him in time with a strict frown.

"This isn't for you. Like I said, you're not getting anything from me till tomorrow."

Rosy's summoning moo then reached San's ears and he lifted his gaze from the calf to see his mother saunter out of the stables, the cow instantly leaving his side and hopped over to her for one of his daily meals. San waving the cows goodbye with a half smirk due to the sight of the calf's impressive appetite, as then recovered the ladders and was about to head to the chapel where a crack in the upper wall had been waiting for plastering since yesterday. Him indeed making it to the entrance until this time a baffling sight stopped him on his tracks before he could enter, San putting the ladders down again as his irises swept over the small space, taking in the devastation that had taken over it. The displaced and half collapsed benches and muddy prints on the floor signaling a notable skirmish to have taken place there, San frowning as he spotted the candlesticks and other items that had rolled all over the room after falling along with the altar itself that had been as well tipped over during the presumed struggle.

Surrounded by pieces of stone that had been forcefully hacked off from a cross immersed into the wall, the damage dealt with a larger, heavier candleholder which pair still stood at the left side of the chapel unmoved, where its counterpart had been carelessly thrown besides the altar. After staring at the hole in the wall San now gasping as his attention focused to Sister Mary whom he saw to have knelt down at the end of the isle, her body then shifting enough for him to confirm the substance he'd noticed to cover the other end of the candleholder.

Sister Mary doing her best to wipe away the large puddle of it tears in her eyes, holding back sniffles before was alerted of San's presence by the echo of his shoes.

Nodding at San whose mouth opened for awe, him eyeing at the dried dark spot on the floor, shivers running along his back. Blood. Lots of it.

San's curt dismay was cut by the sound of silent wails that he assumed to come from behind the separate building of the nunnery, him leaving the ladders behind as followed the sound of crying through the several corridors that eventually brought him to the back. Him getting surprised at finding a modest cemetery there that faced the convent, not having but few graves, but where now almost all of the nuns had gathered. The bloodstains at the chapel explaining themselves once San then saw the hole that had been dug in the ground, four women lowering down a body covered in linen that made the recognition impossible for San to deduce who the deceased was. The Abbess standing at the end of the newest grave while chanting a prayer, where the rest of the Sisters had stayed at the sidelines their heads bent down, crying. Worry filling the young man then as he spotted Katya who'd turned away from the sad sight, placing an inconsolable hand on her lips momentarily, shedding but a couple of tears more until closed her eyes with a long sigh and was contended at remaining but shaken over the incident. Her not even noticing San until he was already by her side, looking up to the lad in surprise as he met her gaze but concerned himself. His stare inquisitive as it seized hers.

"What has happened?" he asked, more like demanded upon seeing how upset Katya and the rest of the Sisters were. Katya letting out another bereft breath as looked down, squeezing her hands together before San could take them, though utterly unwittingly.

"It's Sister Rachel... she...was found dead from the chapel during the night", Katya replied, snivel escaping her lips as she turned to gaze at the ongoing burial. Her hand covering her lips again so that she wouldn't give in to the tears again where San stared at her in shock himself, his eyes slowly shifting to the body.

"Why? Did someone kill her?"

"Someone broke into the convent and was apparently discovered by Sister Rachel... And before he was able to take whatever he'd come here to steal, he was caught and tried to run. But by the time we were woken by the screams and the sound of fighting coming from the chapel it was already too late. She'd already...She tried to stop him."

Katya couldn't say any more. Too terrible this was. She couldn't believe Sister Rachel to be gone, and all for the sake of a thief who'd had the nerve to break into a poor nunnery that had little to offer and was no trove for treasures of any kind. Which was why neither she or San could understand why something like this had happened.

"You saw who it was?" San asked, Katya shaking her head.

"No. Mother Superior caught a glimpse of his fleeting form as the man stumbled out of the chapel. We spooked him away."

"So you know it was a man, this thief?"

"Quite certainly. Sister Rachel's attacker had to be a man. The injuries were too...grisly to have been inflicted by a woman. We didn't see his face, but he was definitely wearing men's clothes under his cloak, and something aggravating had reputedly fallen out of his pocket before his escape."

San's interest was aroused. "Do you know what it was? Could it be used to identify the robber?"

"I don't. The Abbess was the one who discovered it next to the body of Sister Rachel, and she seemed to have an idea, but she spoke nothing of it afterwards."

"But why would anyone come here in mind of stealing? There's nothing of value within this abbey to interest potential prowlers..."

Katya frowned in turn. "That's what we cannot understand either. And further more if he came here to take something, why he destroyed the altar piece and murdered Sister Rachel? It makes no sense to me..."

San placed a compassionate hand on Katya's trembling back, for his surprise her not brushing it off but joining it with hers as she was silent then, understandably not wishing to discuss about this horrible tragedy any further. San's attention next fixating onto the nun who was still hovering over the gravesite, earnest but still quite unreadable look on her furrowed face as she then placed the rosary around her neck. San following her to take something from the pocket of her apron, it appearing to be a tiny, round object that was hardly detectable to San's eyes. It shimmering in the hue of silver in daylight as the elderly woman rolled it in her fingers, deep in thought. Could it have been the item Katya had mentioned to have belonged to the killer of Sister Rachel?

"Are you going to be alright?" San inquired, seeking Katya's eyes with a weak encouraging smile after witnessing the Abbess to conceal the small object back into her apron just as sound of marching boots could be heard approaching, San turning around to see Commander Lee to arrive to the scene with a couple of his cadets.

Undoubtedly called by the nun to investigate the break in, San lifting his jaw as he locked equally irritated gazes with the man once he noticed him and Katya standing next to the cemetery, San instinctively placing an arm around the girl for the time it took for the senior officer to walk past them to the gravesite of the murder victim. Commander Lee indeed not daring to act while within convent grounds and simply went over to the Abbess after a slight leer at the pair, which San returned with a suspicious scowl himself, Lee eventually following the elderly woman to her office. Causing Katya to sigh for relief, before she then spotted the arm that had circled her. Her eyes flickering up to see Mother Superior's stare across the yard until the woman vanished behind the wall, Katya nevertheless feeling but consolation by the safe touch instead of shame and outrage as she nodded, smiling back at the lad.

"I have to be. Her death is not a terrible thing per se, as we all die someday. It's the way she died that shocks me more", she answered, gaining a glance of pity from San who then watched her to detach from him after the Commander had gone out of sight, beckoning towards the main building.

"I must go do some shopping...Would you like to accompany me, San? I don't want to go alone after what has happened, Sister Rachel's killer yet apprehended."

San was silent as had fallen into his thoughts, brooding over the events of last night that had led to Sister Rachel's confounding death, and Mother Superior who clearly seemed to have a pretty valid grasp of the identity of the culprit. The matter at hand apparently too delicate to discuss in front of the Sisters, which was why she'd retired to her office with the Commander, which only made San wonder more. If Mother Superior knew or at least strongly suspected who the killer was, why hadn't she simply voiced out her suspicions to the Commander directly after he'd investigated the convent? Why was there a need to discuss about Sister Rachel's death in isolation, as if Mother Superior would've wanted to keep the circumstances surrounding the robbery hidden from others intentionally?

"San?"

San's head snapped to Katya's direction as her hand pressed on his arm, him meeting her quizzical gaze that was examining him. Her expression baffled due to the lad's contemplative bearing.

"What is it?"

"Nothing. I was just thinking... Let's go", San replied, as cheerfully as ever, pressing his own hand on her back again gently to lead her towards the main building. The bad inkling he felt taking over him however not leaving him in peace and keeping him enthralled into his own arisen suspicions about this dubious incident for a long time. After measuring San's rather absent-minded face and realizing not to be able to gain his attention from some more pressing matters that continued to occupy his mind, Katya then sighed and left him be. Fetching herself a basket and some money before they headed out to town.

"How is your mother?"

San smiled as hold out he basket he'd talked to himself to carry while Katya made her purchases, the girl placing the bottle of mixture and a few medical abstracts she'd previously bought from the local pharmacy among the parcels of pigments for the dye of fabrics and couple of tools the convent had been advised to replace by the prompt of San. Tilting his head at Katya as she looked up to him and shared his smile, them now continuing their stroll with no heading in mind as they had nothing left to acquire. Just enjoying the weather which had luckily cleared, offering some sunlight to the cold day and making the idea of a walk quite tempting during this moment of spare time.

"She's going to be alright as long as she stays in bed", San answered, shaking his head for Katya's amusement as swept some hair out of his eyes. "I hardly could convince her to rest, so I was forced to arrange a guard for her."

"You did?" Katya laughed, Henry grinning.

"She's like that. Doesn't like to do what others tell her to, even if she would be suffering from a cold. As a woman with extraordinary health and vitality to remain bedridden is the worst thing she could think of."

"Your mother seems very admirable", Katya remarked. "I'd very much like to meet her some time."

"As I very much wish to be able to introduce you to her soon", San said, his significant tone taking Katya aback and she looked away from him, concentrating to admire certain brooches that had been set onto a nearby stall counter for display. Hiding her smile.

"You should bring her with you after she's recovered", she suggested, San taking a moment before nodded. Aware of the glances the girl had directed at the jewelry that added to his conclusions about her inner thoughts, his curiosity starting to rear its head again as he next looked into Katya's eyes.

"I'm sure she'd love to visit."

Katya's smile widened a tad as she hold San's gaze, longer than usually, in fact for a moment not wanting to look anywhere else until his following question turned her dejected. Her making a slight frown at the recollection that resurfaced, and which naturally was in her mind at all times even without the lad bringing it up.

"Do you miss your family?" he queried, nonetheless already confirmed of the fact by the look on the girl's face, Katya's sad eyes dropping to the ground.

"Yes."

There was a small silence between them then, both of them falling into their own ponders as walked forward without a single glance given to the other. Katya allowing herself to feel some regret mixed in with all the while graver becoming yearning for past, the time spent apart from her parents and siblings weighing on her as greatly as the recent death of Sister Rachel. For a fleeting moment Katya wishing she could just return home and live like she'd used to, stay with her family till she would one day have one of her own. San being able to see her nostalgia and but urged by it he was then able to voice out the next question that puzzled him too, appearing once more hopeful as without noticing he'd taken the girl's hand. Katya flinching for surprise as looked at him, stiffening due to the sound of San's serious statement.

"Then wouldn't it be better if you left the convent and returned home?"

Katya gawked at San, not finding words to respond, but neither did she have to as it was then when San suddenly noticed Commander Lee to be heading to their direction past the market. Not seeming at all content but instead appeared to be quite furious for some reason, on his way back to the Fort, his men not but a few meters away from where Katya and San were standing. The throng of people fortunately shielding them from their eyes long enough for San to jerk the girl into hiding just as Lee stalked past them with his marines. San peeking behind the corner of the stall as pressed Katya against it with his body so that she remained as low as possible, the girl letting out a nervous breath at first until shifted her head to see what was wrong, immediately retreating back with San as the Commander happened to turn around. Barely missing them, but after a few seconds disappearing again amongst the townspeople with long strides. Easing the throbbing of the youngsters hearts, Katya then remembering San's previous query and locked sincere gazes with him.

"It wouldn't."

"Katya, I know that your vows are serious", San continued, waving his hand matter-of-factly as tried to reason with the girl. "But I've also seen your doubts, your regret to have acquiesced to join a nunnery for the sake of your freedom. You can still keep it by leaving, living up to a promise not even you believe in isn't the way to escape Commander Lee."

"I've already explained that it is the only executable way in my power to stay out of prison", Katya replied with a frustrated sigh, not looking at San who blinked in astonishment. "My mind is set and nothing will make me abandon my conviction."

"Are you happy then? With that kind of life that holds no liberties to actually live? To be you", San asked again after taking another, short break. Eyeing at Katya in disbelief, her eventually looking into his eyes even a bit miserably after thinking about his words.

"I know what you mean, San", she told him, quirking her eyebrows as her irises appealed to his reason.

"Do you?" San insisted quietly, all he'd came to feel for Katya during these past weeks now making a telltale appearance on his face, making it soften as he inched closer. "Do you really?"

"Yes. But all I can say is that I'm content with all I currently have. And cannot imagine to need anything more to stay that way."

Katya exchanged a stare with dissenting San until moved him out of her way, abashed, escaping the situation that had once again turned to the type of conflicting that had troubled her in the past. Her being more than able to guess what it indeed was that the young man wished of her, but which she was even now too afraid to endow, realizing that just in time before San could've proceeded with his advances and made her act equally rashly again. Coax her to accept his mindless prompt and forget everything she'd built her life around these past years, just because of a...needless attraction she'd come to develop for the boy. Yes, she now could name the unnerving feeling that always made her senselessly anxious whenever close to him, filling her head with thoughts that shouldn't even occur to her. Fear, it was. Fear of saying his name that with every time gained a different meaning for her, fear of hearing his voice call hers and make her dangerously more aware of its appeal. Or perhaps it was just that coy, inexperienced girl within her telling her such, terrified of the moments when she felt so drawn towards a man first time in her life, while she knew nothing of how to act or what to do in such situations.

 

But regardless, no matter how she would've tried to condemn the feelings San created in her, the fact was that they set her heart to a new, pleasant race as she stole a peak at the disheartened lad before left him stand behind the stall. San doing his best to curb his own out of control swarm of emotions that could've indeed driven him to lean down for a kiss had Katya not slipped away from him just in time, him releasing a long, resigned sigh as after a moment followed after the girl. Seeing her to be standing a couple of stalls away in wait for him, her back obviously turned so that San couldn't see the fondness that had turned her features but compliant. San however also choosing to run away and didn't cough up the words at the tip of his tongue that perhaps could've changed her set mind, just staring at Katya remorsefully, blaming himself and his lack of courage to take the next step by coming clean with his feelings. While eventually replying lowering his voice so that she wouldn't hear him.

"I could come up with a couple of suggestions."

Katya polished the candleholder to its original shine before returned it to its place at the right side of the room, aligning it with the second one precisely. Recoiling and instantly shifting her gaze elsewhere once she found herself staring at the spot Sister Rachel had been found laying in her own blood, Katya chasing the horrendous image out of her head as swiftly as it had sprung up, bending down to collect a cup that had been forgotten to the floor.

It had taken some time to scrub away the blood Sister Mary had forgotten to clean from the candleholder, and when her nerves had gotten the best of the woman Mother Superior had ordered Katya to take over the rest of the cleaning, who'd by then abated from the greatest shock unlike poor Mary. Mainly because of San's involvement, as his company had given Katya unexpected comfort the moment she'd needed it, sharing her wonder of the dramatic affair and being very considerate towards her about it. Which was why the girl now broke into a smile after recollecting the boy, but instantly bypassed the odd scene she'd wound up with him at the market this afternoon, nudging the last of the benches back in line until walked to the entrance and locked the chapel doors behind her.

It was late, and Katya didn't suppose anyone to be awake besides her, her therefore dousing the lamps of the corridors on her way to her quarters. But a shimmer of a lone candle coming from the laundry room stopped her midway, her approaching the baffling sighting only to discover San, who against her presumptions hadn't left but stayed to work on to the similar damages of the room that had been left at the chapel. Laying the bricks back into the crevices, caulking them as the astonished Katya halted at the doorway, peeking inside at his working figure, the boy not noticing her presence as was deeply focused on finishing the repairs before returning home. Katya getting over her surprise as then simply smiled, turning on her heels due to a thought that occurred to her, making a quick stop at the cellars before returned and entered the room. Taking aback San in turn who like her had believed everyone else to have been abed, Katya's smile turning inquisitive.

"You're still here."

"I figured to amend my today's late arrival with work", San explained, lowering the tools in his hands as leant on his knees casually, before beckoning to the wall with a deep sigh. "Though this task seems to take the best of me yet... But I refuse to leave before the wall has been rendered to its original condition."

"It can wait. You should go home to sleep. You've done more than enough for today", Katya reassured, lifting her eyebrows remarkably as took the candle from the table. Motioning San to leave the tools where they were for later use. "If not you, someone will be sure take care of that in your absence."

Regardless of his decision to complete the caulking San accepted the suggestion gladly, consenting with a smirk and put on his coat, Katya holding out his scarf with a slight laughter due to the yawn the boy wasn't able to conceal before she turned and went to the door with him. Leading the way across the corridor, while nearing the yard Katya trying to shield the frail flame from the vicious wind that had starte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter