Two

Glass Ocean
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You gave my maiden name as your alias to Commander Lee? Oh San..."

Yuri shook her head at her son in disbelief as she turned to face him, San instead letting out a piqued sigh as leant back in his chair and met Yuri's as anticipated distraught eyes. Him being able to tell exactly what she was thinking after he'd recounted the events of the afternoon and what had truly happened after coming home from town, known to expect her to bolt needlessly, San now motioning towards the stew that had been left brewing at the fireplace since they'd finished their supper. To distract his mother from useless brooding over matters that were already but stagnant water under the bridge.

"It's not like you use that name anymore, Miss. Kim", he reminded, apparently way too nonchalantly in Yuri's opinion as she released a frustrated sigh in turn. Indeed walking to the kettle to remove the food from open fire before leaving it alone again to cool, the tone of her voice extremely reprimanding when she soon responded after a short, contemplative silence.

"But there are records from where he could easily find out our real family name should he choose to come after you! You should've known better and not gotten yourself involved. Especially if that girl was guilty of doing something that had earned her the attention of the Commander..."

"Not the kind of attention you're referring to..." San murmured in contempt, his face swiftly shifting back to deadpan from irritated as he noticed Yuri's questionable, raised eyebrow. "She hasn't done anything wrong. The Commander just keeps persecuting her unjustly, without a proper reason."

"Even so you should've minded your own business. She has managed to escape imprisonment for two years already without you being there to jump in her rescue and get yourself entangled into her problems."

"So you're saying I should've just watched him, no... allowed him to arrest her under pretenses that only his acrimony viewed justified?" San asked in disbelief.

"That's not what I said. I'm proud of what you did, but am simply asking you to sometimes pay heed for your own best interest as well", Yuri corrected. "To resist those who hold the control over law in their hands to mold it to their very liking, it's not a game you can always count on to get out of easily and unscathed, without a need to fear for consequences."

"I know, mother, so just don't start with the usual tirade, alright? Calm down, I'm not in any trouble. My arrest warrant hasn't been scattered all over town", San remarked soothingly. Aware of the reference his mother had made to her own encounters with law in her youth that had driven her to be eventually drawn into the world of piracy. His returned carefree mindset however not calming down Yuri at all, neither convincing her that San comprehended the importance of what she'd just said.

Her son's occasionally so troublesome impulsiveness and desire to be everyone's savior once more reminded her how she sometimes hated the fact how similar he was with her late husband. Leading to all sort of way more cumbersome situations that she would've granted San to end up, all due to his oblivious nature that because of his still at times distinguishable lack of maturity failed to realize into what kind of much worse difficulties such behavior could result in if taken too far. Her therefore not blaming herself for her over-protectiveness this time as dropped to a chair with a resigned sigh, serious even on behalf of San as next locked gazes with him.

"Yet you mean. It wouldn't be surprising after the way you humiliated the Commander so publicly. I say, just like your father you are. Insist on rescuing damsels from distresses that have nothing to do with you at the risk of your own integrity..."

At this point San made a cheeky grin, pointing to his mother's direction with the knife he was currently carving wood with, amused. "That's why you love me...Besides I wouldn't be here if it hadn't been for father's similar tendency to save you from such distresses."

"No San, I love you. Now before you earn a cuff on the ear go to the well to fetch some water. I will clear out the plates", Yuri retorted, smiling in the end gently as placed her hand briefly on San's shoulder after standing. Earning an eye-roll back from the lad.

"I'm not a kid anymore", San said with a laugh, his mother's incredulous bearing informing her to disagree and she narrowed her eyes at him.

"Only children behave so irresponsibly to anger a military man of status and power... not to mention flirt with a girl."

Yuri couldn't hold back a snicker at this point, however returning her features back to normal as saw the slightly disappointed look that visited her son's eyes due to the mention of the girl he'd saved, and to whom Yuri believed him to have fallen for after listening to his story about the events of the incident involving that gypsy girl Katya. Not to mention after beholding the boy's expression when he'd talked about her, that in mind Yuri then taking a pause before she lifted both of her eyebrows at San remarkably.

"I understand what you've come to feel for that girl. Believe me, I know what love at first sight is...but you have to forget any feelings you've already come to develop, as well as her, San. She's become a nun, maybe not because of a choice she made willingly, but the truth is she isn't allowed to have a relationship with a man as long as she lives up to her vows and serves the nunnery. You do understand this even without me telling you, don't you?"

San was quiet before replying, his gaze falling to stare at the floor momentarily as he nodded, of course knowing what Yuri was aiming at with these warnings, as he'd already been told so by the Abbeys as well as the rational part of his own mind that understood it to be futile to further nurture his infatuation towards Katya. But his young heart had a will of its own that didn't listen to such trivial things such as common sense, therefore San simply starting to smile due to the recollection of the young woman, bypassing all opposing circumstances by reverting back to his raptured self as started to whistle happily. Snatching the same apple she'd managed to slip into his pocket earlier that day from the table, biting into it while walked to the water bucket that was waiting for him at the door. Going outside.

 

"Don't you? You shouldn't bother her by forcing feelings upon her she cannot return", Yuri repeated. San looking at her the same manner of innocently through the crack in the closing door like he always did when she knew him not to consider anything she'd told him to change his mind about something.

"I know that."

Do you? Yuri asked in her mind with a new headshake as watched San's form to vanish into the early twilight, seriously doubting his response that had come out somewhat evasive, as her irises then swept over the small field of sunflowers she'd once planted outside their kitchen window. Them swaying slightly in the light breeze as Yuri soon frowned thoughtfully. Henry might've been so blinded by his keen crush to perceive it, but she'd been but serious about contesting his distinct desire to form a more profound relationship with the gypsy girl. He couldn't let himself fall deeper in love from a mere fancy to a girl he didn't even know, nor who would never be able to love him back...or so she tried to convince herself too.

But the other side of the truth was that she'd never seen San like this. This Katya girl had changed him to plain carefree and joyous from that much more serious and glum boy he'd been for the past couple of years since his sea ventures had started, so fast that it astonished Yuri, even she'd been at first rather skeptical about San's swift fascination to the girl and where it would eventually lead to. But she couldn't either deny that seeing San in such high spirits did make her ineffably overjoyed as well, causing her to miss the days when she'd been his age and loved a man for the first time in her life. After a brief reminiscing Yuri however smiling to herself, getting Will out of her mind for the time being as started to gather the plates from the table. It did her no good to long after him. Besides even if she missed him more by each day, it proving sometimes hard to go on without him in their life, she had gotten used to it. But this was why she also would understand if San wouldn't be able to leave his emotions be due to the intoxicating thrill of them, which would make any voice of reason either she or anyone else offered to slip his mind. Love worked in a mysterious ways and was almost never easy to achieve. She indeed knew that better than anyone.

Katya handed one of the baskets as well as the other half of the list of products she'd been tasked to bring from the market to Sister Eleanor, a young girl close to her age and the abbey's newest novice, who'd arrived just yesterday afternoon and been placed under Katya's guidance for her first weeks at the convent. Katya smiling at her before beckoned to the listed items.

"Bring back as many as you can find, but should you be unable to acquire some of the goods that is all fine. I'll take care of all you can't find, this is a large market. Sister Rachel urged us to return as soon as possible for the vine making, so meet me here in half an hour", she instructed, the timid girl returning her smile quite unsurely. Still rather bewildered because of the change in her life that had previously consisted of making hats with her mother day after day, until her sudden death that had left Eleanor orphan not but a week past.

She didn't have a father, so the girl's uncle and the only alive legal guardian had found it easier to relieve himself from the responsibility of the child's upkeep by leaving her in the care of St. Mary's convent. Eleanor not having much choice in the matter, understandably downcast for her abrupt transition from an aspiring hat maker to a nun in such young age, which Katya understood very well. Not but two years ago to have sat on this very same wagon next to Sister Rachel at the age of fourteen like her, longing after the freedom of life she'd been forced to leave behind due to some unforeseen circumstances... Therefore Katya now squeezing the younger girl's hand encouragingly before climbed down from the wagon, tying the reins to the horse's brindle as the animal habitually leant down to pluck some grass that resiliently pushed amongst the cobblestones of the street, Eleanor nodding at Katya in understanding but seemed to hesitate.

 

"Yes Sister Carmen...But Mother Superior said I shouldn't leave your side at any time", Sister Eleanor replied, Katya shaking her head at her.

 

"Don't worry about that. I'll be alright, nothing is going to happen during that jiffy it takes us to buy these items."

After a moment of thought Sister Eleanor eventually consented with a new nod, Katya next watching her go about the edge of the market, glancing down to the list she clasped tightly in her hand until eventually appeared to have chosen a pathway to take and disappeared amongst the townspeople. Katya then taking out her own list and using a familiar route headed for the first destination of a stand that sold spices, such which they would later require to season the mixture of wine before fermenting it. Katya not taking long when she'd eventually crossed half of the purchases off her list and was now heading to the northeast side of the marketplace that was situated closer to the harbor. Her singing to herself under her breath before spotting the first fisherman who was selling his this morning's pray, of remarkable quality with variable fishes to choose from, her about to walk over to the good man who noticed her coming from far away. But after but few paces she was frightened to death by a hand that appeared in front of her behind a stall she was passing, Katya's own flying on her chest as she released a startled wail, her heart jumping for the scare as she then found herself to be face to face with an apple. Familiar voice starting to speak as her previous assumptions about nothing unexpected happening were proven wrong once a person she now most definitely recognized came to sight, teasing her. Her letting out a new breath which was but relieved, her staring at Henry for a while utterly speechless.

"I was wondering how many days I yet had to wait until you'd turn up again", he said, rounding the stall to stand in front of Katya. Smiling at her as handed the fruit to her, eventually frowning when the girl kept staring at him somewhat blank expression on her face.

"I scared you", he figured, now repentant of his attempt of a pleasant surprise after spotting Katya's form approaching his whereabouts a few minutes ago, as deemed the look on her face to have been caused by fear his abrupt appearance had inflicted. Katya finally blinking and glancing down with a sigh before looked up to him affirmatively.

"In truth for a second I thought you to be Commander Lee", she admitted, closing her eyes briefly as walked past him after stuffing the apple into her basket. San sending an apologetic gaze after her as spun around to follow.

"I'm sorry."

"That's quite alright. I needed to be woken up from my daydreams anyhow to be more careful should I run into him", she said good-humoredly, San watching her as she went over to a nearby fisherman's stall. After eyeing at the supply for a moment and asking the size of his catch eventually buying a whole barrel of salted sardines from the man, where San's eyes had been fixated onto Katya's appearance that could've been said to have changed drastically since he last saw her a week ago. Her now wearing her grey robe and a white veil to cover her golden blonde hair, her rosary hanging openly over her garb where a simple belt made of rope rounded her waistline, only but a pouch of money hanging from it as she now opened it to pay for the fishes. She looked so much different in her robe than San had imagined... but the concealing attire did not make her any less lovely in his eyes as the very sight of her made him equally giddy inside as upon their last meeting, if not more due to the wait.

"And what does a nun daydream about?" he inquired, even sharing an amused gaze with Katya as she eventually turned to him, tilting her head that same mysterious look on her face.

"What indeed?"

Katya laughed as had enough time to notice the tint of dejection her indifferent reply woke in Henry before it was covered from her attentive irises with a new warm smile, the lad joining the laughter just before Katya faced the fisherman again and asked him to carry the barrel to her wagon.

"I'll do it", San offered, raising his hand at the fisherman for him to leave the barrel for him before bent down to lift it. Katya giving his smiling face a surprised gaze, until made a nod of consent after noticing Henry to apparently have no difficulties in carrying the fishes all the way to the other side of the market by the ease he seemed to demonstrate while lifting the cask. Her offering him a small smile as thanks until closed the money pouch and started to make her way back, San bettering his hold of the barrel he'd heaved on his shoulder before following her suite. In truth finding the article in question quite heavy, but his pride was quick to intervene with such thoughts as he didn't want to disappoint Katya, who now seemed to remember something. Checking her money again, until San saw her to hurry to a stall a few meters away which sold sanitary and beauty products, her gaze however not even glancing at the latter as she purchased but a few bars of soap. Returning to awaiting San a small brown package in her hand, which was still too big to fit into the basket that was already filled to the rims with similar parcels, San eyeing at the great number of her purchases in honest wonder.

"I thought nuns have to relinquish all secular property after taking their vows", he remarked, his curious tone turning questionable as he nodded towards the basket. "If so, where do you need all this?"

"The abbey may be small, but it lodges over twenty people in addition to the Sisters. Therefore the need for everyday items including food is great, and as we don't have the resources to produce all we need at the convent it is necessary for us to come do business at the market daily. It's better to come prepared, Mr. Choi. There are far more sinful things in the world than soap and providing for poor", Katya explained, San finding it a shame that she appeared to act more reserved in his company from before, as her blue eyes were very much directed to the surrounding market instead of him. Glancing towards him but a few times, where he couldn't stop staring at her in his dire wish to obtain her attention, resulting in him almost crashing against a few by passers which for his relief however caused Katya to burst into an eventual, subtle laugh. Telling him not to be walking with a complete stranger after all even the girl from their last encounter had been more familiar with him, one particular fact starting to bother Henry as he then looked at Katya's profile significantly.

 

"San. I really don't feel myself old enough to be referred to so respectfully, and I don't suppose my mother think so either", San corrected, lifting his eyebrows at the mention of Yuri as earned an astonished look from Katya, which he then managed to hold for a while longer by smiling at her widely once he saw her to let out an amused breath. Him turning contemplative.

"What of you? Do you prefer... Sister Katya, or..." he asked, the title coming out a bit oddly while attached to her name he was still not over from cringing at to be affiliated to such an unimaginable honorific. Katya seeing the incredulous expression on his face before he could hide it from her, however not taking offense as without noticing had broken into a new amused laugh totally spontaneously at his visible awkwardness with her changed appearance. The thought about her as a nun probably solidifying in his mind entirely but just now after he'd seen her in her veil and habit instead of that dress he most likely had come to remember about her.

Katya stopped herself. No, how could she so boldly assume that he remembered her? She possibly couldn't or better yet shouldn't believe him to have come to her for any other reason than pure chance, her however still directing a stealth look towards the young man who she now realized to be in fact rather very handsome...until she realized her mind to be drifting too far from proper, shifting it back towards plain blatant. Her collecting her thoughts as responded.

"Katya's just fine", she complied, taking a break before added as if to herself, without even noticing it. "I after all am not a nun by heart as many of the Sisters of St. Mary are. As I probably should be..."

San was surprised by this, even Katya after understanding what she'd just allowed to slip her lips, and repentant she glanced at the young man a bit speechless again. Only to be captivated by his inquisitive stare until she looked down and continued walking to stop herself from further losing grip of herself while in front of San. Because she hadn't realized it when they'd first met, but now that he'd all so suddenly appeared again she noticed him to make her far too nervous that she should've felt, hence making her uncomfortable but at the same time somehow glad when she now became the target of his warm turned gaze again. Her condemning such thoughts instantly as they popped into her head once she locked direct gazes with San, hastily shifting her attention elsewhere.

"Is it wise for you to come here alone? Last time you almost got yourself captured", San pointed out, glancing about the vicinity of any signs of Lee's soldiers, until a mischievous half smirk made its way on his lips. Him leaning closer to the girl, lowering his voice. "Though should it come to that again, I am here to save you."

Katya hid her abashment with a carefree smile, meeting his eyes. "It is not, and Mother Superior has urged me to stay in the convent at all times...But even I have to do my part and come out once in a while, and neither would I wish to stay cooped up within the abbey's walls for the rest of my life. And like usually, I didn't come alone today either."

"Surely you don't have to stay in the convent for that long?" San wondered, even slightly hopeful as peered at Katya to see her reaction to his remark, watching her to sigh far too dejectedly to support his wishes before she turned deadpan, a bit sad even.

"The vows are made for life. So unless God or some other as divine intervention will release me from them, I'm not free to do what I please. I've given myself to this life, so I'm not so easily to leave it."

They exchanged a stare then, rather serious one that held no secrets between them as they both knew Katya to speak the truth. Both of them acknowledging it, however them also sharing a some form of remorseful look until Katya was the first to draw her eyes away from San's, squeezing her rosary as if to gain support to her response. Him frowning slightly as deep within him he could almost feel like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter