One

We're the Hirai, yoroshiku!

It is a silent, pleasant night for the couple sleeping together on the rather small double bed. They are snuggled together, trying to make do with the tight space and keeping each other warm without depending on a heater. They reasoned with being comfortable enough to hold each other every night, when the truth is they can’t afford one. They even share a blanket together, even if in the morning only one of them is wrapped inside while the other is unconsciously kicked rolled to the cold tiled floor.

 

Just like right now, the snoring ninja is lying flat on her back, her limbs sprawled all over because the floor is rather spacious than the cramped bed. Hugging is good, but so is freedom (don’t tell that to her lover). However, her sleep was disturbed when her highly-sensitive senses tingled from the vibration on the floor.

 

Her eyes snapped open, sensing an intruder creeping around the corridor.

 

Rolling over, she slowly gets on her feet. She glanced at her partner snugly wrapped under the blanket before stepping out of the bedroom door. She tiptoes along the corridor towards the source of the sound, reaching for the weapon standing by the cleaning cupboard. 

 

A sound of faint rustling can be heard from the bathroom, and she takes a deep breath, bracing herself before making her way there. The weapon in her hand slightly rattles as she nears the bathroom, and she stops before the door. Slowly counting in her head, she pushes the screechy door open and switches the light on simultaneously.

 

There, in the corner, sat a big creepy crawler caught red handed - even if it doesn’t have one. 

 

“I got you this time, Joey…” She seethed with a menacing grin.

 

She makes sure to keep her distance as she points her weapon of pesticide spray towards her target, spraying a good dose to the unexpected innocent cockroach.

 

She smugly stands with both hands prop on her waist, watching proudly as the creature writhe to its painful, slow death. However, she is rejoicing too soon when the cockroach begins flapping its wings and tries to make an escape…

 

...only to successfully land on her face.

 

“KYAAAAAHHHH!!!”

 

She struggles to get the damn cockroach away from her face, yelling and shrieking for it to move when the sound of footsteps running wildly against the wooden floor fills her ears. She faced the door for help, meeting eyes with an alarmed Mina holding a rolled newspaper above her head, followed by the loud sound of smack to her face.

 

PAK!



 

*



 

Mina silently sighs to herself while Momo pouts, a long red mark can be seen on her forehead.

 

“I’m hurt, badly.”

 

“It’s just a newspaper.”

 

“It was an inch-thick newspaper, Mina! Added with your hidden brute strength, it’s a miracle I’m still alive.”

 

“Oh, quit being such a baby. You’ve gone through worse.”

 

Mina approaches the ninja dramatically pouting from her unfortunate state, tapping a wet towel on her forehead to sooth the red mark. 

 

“We really should call the pest-control people. I can’t stand sharing home with these pesky crawlers.”

 

The woman with light brown hair smiled, giving a small nod in agreement. “We will. But first, we need to deal with the broken ceiling. That’s where they come from.”

 

Both of them look up at the cracked wooden ceiling of the second floor of their shop-house, finding the small hole as an eyesore to the comfort of their home. 

 

It has been there since the first day they stepped foot on this abandoned settlement, thinking it won’t pose any disturbance to their newly-resided home. But lo and behold, the hole does not only serve as a tunnel for their crawling friends to come uninvited. It also serves as a water outlet when rainstorms hit their house. 

 

In other words, the house was pretty much wrecked when the previous owner decided to sell it.

 

But Momo really loves it. She was squealing when they did a tour of the 2-stories house, begging Mina to spend the remainder of her savings to buy it. The place is not really strategic considering their vulnerable state to stay low from treacherous eyes, situated in the middle of a busy town in Seoul. But that was Mina’s plan after all, that the best hiding place is the one’s in plain sight. No, Momo never gets it because the way of the ninja trains her “to hide” at all times, particularly in the shadows. Not that she’s going to argue with Mina about it.

 

So they signed the deal, and were given the key to the house immediately.

 

It was by far, one of the best decisions Mina ever made. It was nothing she had ever expected, living in a small town together with her ninja, trying to live a normal life. They make do with what was left in the bank account, before Momo suggests for the former yakuza to open a cafe downstairs.

 

Mina was a bit reluctant, having no experience in business as well as serving people. But after much persuasion from Momo, she yielded and together, they redo the place to become a rather casual dining place with a touch of traditional Japanese culture. No, they did not involve yakuza or ninja, mind you.

 

“What’s going on in your head there?”

 

Mina snapped her head to the voice, catching Momo staring back with her pair of big, curious eyes. She smiled, snaking her hands into Momo’s fingers and intertwining them together.

 

“I’m really glad we bought this place.”

 

Momo grins back, leaning closer for a peck on her lover’s lips.

 

“Even if we’re roommates with the cockroaches?”

 

“Yeah, even if Dee Dee, Marky or Joey s us all the time.”

 

Mina nuzzles their nose together, earning a ticklish giggle from Momo as she leans closer for a proper kiss when out of nowhere, they hear commotion downstairs.



 

Meanwhile…



 

“Tell me again,” A tall woman huffed as she used the last remaining strength of her jet-lagged body to haul the last luggage out from the trunk of the cab. “Why do you have to bring the whole wardrobe across the country?” 

 

She slams the trunk shut with an exasperated breath, side-eyeing her companion sporting a bucket hat over her dark-brown hair who’s letting out a loud yawn while stretching her hands in the air unabashedly.

 

“Because my clothes are my strongest suit.” She grins proudly, “And that’s the 26th time you asked that question, Tzuyu.”

 

“Sana, you should get your brain checked. I can never get that logic of yours.”

 

“Says the one who forgets all the time.”

 

Tzuyu ignores the rolling eyes she gets from Sana as she pays the driver, at the same time trying to not let the bags hanging on both sides of her shoulders slide down while pulling the two luggages towards the small cafe. 

 

“Are you sure this is the place?” Tzuyu asked as she scans the rather vacant and dark interior of the shop for two familiar faces.

 

“Geez, Tzu… you still question my sense of direction even after all these years?” 

 

“Exactly.” The taller deadpanned with a bored face. Just as she turns to face Sana, her forehead creases in confusion at the crouching woman.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“Trying to pick the lock.”

 

If her hands were free, Tzuyu would have smacked her face from the absurd sight. Instead, she merely watches her partner with a bored face as the latter struggles to poke the keyhole with a hairpin.

 

“Just - a little more…”

 

Tzuyu doesn’t want to ruin Sana’s great attempt of even trying to look like she’s lock-picking (she can't, unsurprisingly), but at the same time she doesn’t want to get caught by some passersby because Sana is really taking her sweet time in looking suspicious.

 

Instead, Tzuyu simply turns the doorknob, finding it unlocked in the first place. She lifts an accusing eyebrow to the sheepish Sana.

 

“Wow, look at that. I actually managed to pick the lock, eh?” She nudges the unamused Tzuyu with her elbow.

 

“Yeah, and spared getting caught for breaking in.”

 

“Oh, calm your tight , Tzu.” Sana said, unaware of a figure standing in the dark before her as she opens the door. “I’m sure Mina wouldn’t mind, they’re already expecting our presence - EEEP!!!”

 

Only to end up in a chokehold with a knife placed on her neck.

 

“Keep silent if you want to live-”

 

“Drop that knife or I’ll shoot.”

 

Sana gulps, facing a grave-looking Tzuyu pointing her small gun towards the person behind her back, only for the latter’s face to falter.

 

“Chou?”

 

Then, came another person screeching from inside the cafe, running towards them with a spatula and a broom, a small bucket covering her head for protection.

 

“HELP PLEASE DO NOT ROB US WE’RE POOR I’M CALLING THE POLICE FOR TRESPASSING-” 

 

They all blink at the weird appearance of the once-renowned ninja of the family, with the young master trying to hide her red face from the second hand embarrassment. Finally coming to her senses, Momo drops her bravado act at the familiar faces standing before the cafe’s entrance.

 

“Oh, it’s just you two.”

 

“That’s not the kind of reunion I had in mind.” Tzuyu murmured to herself as she stowed the gun back to its hiding place. 

 

Meanwhile, Mina released the poor Sana from her clutch, gaining an awkward laugh from the latter as she rubs her neck for the non-existent injury. “Remind me again not to get on Mina’s bad side.”

 

“Sorry for that. I’ve warned her countless times NOT TO PLAY with the kitchen’s utensil.” Momo raised a brow at her stoic partner, silently reprimanding Mina for her slip up before asking for the knife to be stored in a safe place.

 

“So, when can I give you two a proper hug?” 

 

Mina and Momo turn to a puppy-looking Sana giving them an expectant look with her hands open wide, before both of them shake their heads in tandem.

 

“NEVER.”

 

“Oh, come on! It’s been three years since the last time we’re together... I at least deserve a kiss!”

 

“Eww, that sounds so wrong - Yah! Get your hands off me, Sana!”

 

As Momo gets herself busy running away from Sana’s kissing attack and advances, Mina approaches the tall woman. She studies the appearance of her favourite bodyguard who’s always keen with her spick and span appearance, now looking rather haggard and more like a hanger stand with all the bags she’s holding.

 

“Need a hand, Chou?”

 

The latter shakes her head, “I’m good.”

 

“Being with Sana really roughened you up, it seems.”

 

“By roughened up, you mean, being badgered daily by Sana.” She glanced purposely at the brown hair woman currently puckering her lips to the disgusted Momo. “Then yes, you’re right.”

 

A small smile graced Mina’s lips at the thought. Sana can be bossy at times, even Mina sometimes had a hard time resisting her commands when they were still living in the mansion. She wonders how the heck the former maid managed to tame a cold and composed bodyguard to be in this state for the past three years they're together.

 

“Looks like you’re already serving another master.”

 

Tzuyu whips her head to the smirking Mina, baffled with the preposterous statement. “W-What?”

 

“Mina! I miss youuuu!”

 

The said woman appeared in between them, a wide grin plastered on her face. Mina caught the subtle sigh from Tzuyu as she tugs the remaining bags inside, tailing after Momo who gladly managed to escape from the kissing monster.

 

“I didn’t expect you to show up this early.” Mina started while trying to politely shrug off Sana’s arm draping over her shoulder. She remembered their flight was supposed to arrive approximately in the afternoon - it is currently half past ten in the morning.

 

“Yeah, sorry it was on short notice. We had some important matters to deal with, so change of plans.”

 

Mina quirks an eyebrow, “What kind of matter?”

 

“Minju.” Sana said in a low voice, “We got information about her mother’s relatives and we are to meet them this afternoon.”

 

“That’s good to hear. Less trace we leave, the better.” Her eyes trail behind Sana, the absence of the mentioned kid caught her attention. “But leaving her back in Japan seems careless, isn’t it?” 

 

“Ehh, what do you mean? We brought her along-” Sana turns around, eyes frantically looking at the road for the small girl she brought with, only to let out a loud gasp. “YAHHH! WHERE IS SHE?”

 

“Eh? What, what?” Momo pokes her head out of the entrance door from Sana’s outburst while Tzuyu calmly steps outside while rolling her sore shoulder from the heavy lifting.

 

“Keep it down, Sana.” She gently chastise the loud woman, despite the creases visible on her forehead. “Your luggage is inside. Stop making a commotion over nothing.”

 

“Tzuyu, I don’t give a damn about my bags!” Sana screeched, frantically shaking Tzuyu’s shoulders. “Where the hell is Minju?!”

 

And that’s when the colors of Tzuyu’s face drained. Her already pale complexion turned paler, cold sweat dripping down her forehead as she gulped audibly.

 

“She’s sleeping…” Her voice quivers as she avoids Sana’s glare. “In the cab.”

 

“YAH! CHOU TZUYU!”



 

*



 

What they thought was an attempted kidnapping turned out to be just negligence on Sana and Tzuyu’s part. Thankfully the cab driver realized a small kid loudly snoring in the backseat and drove back to their place. By the time he arrived at the cafe, the nine years old Minju had woken up and gleamed at the sight of her worried guardians. 

 

As the kid is happily being served some leftover donuts from last night, it isn’t so for her tall caretaker. Sana is busy nagging the bodyguard in the corner for her simple screw up of leaving Minju in the car, while Mina and Momo peeks from the cafe's counter. 

 

“Wasn’t it supposed to be Sana’s fault though?” Momo whispered to her partner who’s starting up the coffeemaker while she is forced assigned by Sana to watch over little Minju.

 

“Partly.” Mina shrugs, “But she’s the one wearing the pants, remember?”

 

“I’m wearing pants too.” Minju butts in on their adult talk as she points at her legs, resulting in Momo snorting aloud from her bluntness. But the pair of confused round eyes made her stop, along with the disapproved nudge on her waist by Mina.

 

“Yes, and good girls should wear whatever they want, right?”

 

“Even guns and grenades?”

 

“A what?!” Both of them responded in surprise, but the girl gave them an innocent nod.

 

“Chewy-unnie always has a gun and grenade under her clothes.”

 

Mina cast a worried glance at Momo who sheepishly rubs her nape from the information. She might have the upperhand in handling kids, being a full time trainer at a dojo for children, but this concerning matter is really way out of her league. So she does the one thing she does best in this kind of situation - she laughs it off.

 

“We’ll have a talk with your Chewy-unnie later about that. But for now, guns and grenades are not allowed in this home. Capiche?”

 

“Capiche!” Minju saluted, before returning her attention to her late breakfast. Momo turns around, meeting eyes with an unfazed Mina holding a mug of freshly brewed coffee in her hand.

 

“We really need to have a serious talk with them.”

 

“Even if it’s for protection and self-defence?”

 

Momo sighs, knowing fully well what that defensive stance and change of voice meant. “Mitang, we’ve agreed on this.”

 

Just as Mina’s about to open for a retort, the other couple appeared and took their respective seats beside Minju, ceasing Mina and Momo’s conversation for another time.

 

“Nice place you have here, Mina.”

 

“Uh, excuse me. It’s our place, thank you.”

 

“Please, I’m betting my hair that Mina paid for everything.”

 

Momo’s mouth opens and closes like a fish for a comeback, before frowning in defeat. Sana gives her an I-knew-it look, cheering to herself for getting it right and saving her head from getting bald. 

 

“Actually, the owner was more than willing to give us the place for free. But I insist on paying.” Mina tries to back up her partner, and the latter adds, “Which he gladly accepts, before running away and disappearing without a trace.”

 

“Sounds pretty dodgy to me.”

 

Wanting to change the subject, Momo tips her head to the staircase. “Should I tour you guys around the place?”

 

“Please do. I need a bit of shut-eye before the meeting this evening.”

 

“Aww, poor TzuTzu. You must be exhausted from the early flight.” Sana gushes, earning a subtle glare from the already stoic face.

 

“And dragging your bags.” She mumbled, which didn’t go unnoticed by Sana who narrowed her eyes accusingly at the taller woman.

 

“What?”

 

“Uhh I think I have eyebags.” Tzuyu quickly replied, busying herself with the bags (again) to avoid meeting eyes with Sana. Just as they were about to walk up the stairs, Mina announced with her small voice.

 

“Have a good rest. I’ll prepare lunch for everyone.”

 

“Ehh, uso ?!” Sana abruptly backtracks, almost knocking off Tzuyu behind her. “Mina is cooking for us? Our Ojou-sama is?!”

 

“Oh god, she said it…” Momo facepalmed.

 

“Eh, why?”

 

Just as they turn to Mina, the woman is already wearing a crazy-like grin, unsheathing her most sharpest knife while holding an apple on her left hand. Was it a small laugh they heard - no, they’re too terrified to make out the sound. 

 

“I’ll show you why, Sana.”



 

SCHWAPP! 

 

ZAPPP! 

 

TAP TAP TAP TAP!



 

Within seconds, a perfectly peeled and cut up apple is presented on a plate, along with the loud thudding sound of the knife piercing the poor cutting board.

 

“Who wants a slice ?”

 

And all of them shudders in fear, for it’s been a while since they see this side of the young master. They had forgotten for a second - the Myoui Mina was notoriously known for her expertise in dealing with everything knife-related.

 

“A-Anyone wants to take a wee?”



 

*



 

As Mina is preparing for lunch, she hears rushed footsteps coming down the stairs. She counts to seven in her head, and just in cue, Momo appeared almost tumbling down the last step of the staircase. 

 

“Mind the steps, Momorin.”

 

“Uh, yeah. Bad stairs!” She reprimands the poor thing, before widely grinning at the chef. “Guess what?”

 

“You offered them to live here with us.”

 

“Yeah, I did - chotto, eh?? How did you know that?!”

 

Typical Momorin , was what she’s gonna say, but she only flashes a smile. 

 

“You know it’s going to make things more complicated, Momo. We already have a lot on our plate.”

 

“But they need the place - and protection - since little Minju is with us.” She quoted with her fingers, “and what better way it is than to live here with us?”

 

The owner of the cafe chews her lips in contemplation, weighing the pros and cons of having a few more company in the house. A crowd is going to attract attention, and she doesn’t want to risk their identities to be found by the remains of the traitorous clan. 

 

“We need the money, Mitang.” Momo pleaded with her puppy eyes, earning a deep sigh from the former yakuza.

 

“But they’re going to freeload on us later.”

 

“If they do that, we’ll blackmail them or something.”

 

Mina raised an eyebrow, “I thought we’re leaving the yakuza life behind?”

 

“Desperate times call for desperate measures.” The former ninja wears an innocent grin, prompting Mina to concede with her request.

 

“Fine.” She relents, “I guess we can make some adjustments in the house, having a kid living here and all.”

 

“Oh, you don’t have to worry about Minju. She already survived well living with those two.”

 

Mina gives her lover a weird look, only for a shrill scream to erupt upstairs. They both exchange looks before running up to check on their guests.

 

And Momo has her jaw dropped from the sight.

 

“YOU!”

 

She pointed accusingly to the cockroach in the bathroom, currently having a face off with the wide-eyed Sana clad only in a towel.

 

“Yah, why is it staring at me like that?!”

 

“Why are you half-?!” Momo shouted back.
 

“Have you ever seen someone shower fully clothed?!” Sana replied, only to see the cockroach tilting its head. “Hey! Close your eyes, you ert!”
 

Momo takes her indoor slipper off and tries to smack the critter, but it easily dodges every attack without breaking a sweat.  

 

“Momo, do something!”

 

“I am!” She points to the cockroach, despite cringing at the close proximity. “Y-You! Stay there and don’t move!”

 

But of course, this creature doesn’t have a pair of ears to hear, and its head tilts confusedly at the panicking humans. Hence, it follows its instinct to spread its wings and…

 

“IT’S FLYING!!!”

 

“KYAAAH!”

 

Just as they scream in panic over the flying cockroach, a pair of long hands push the two away from the door to make way for her appearance. With a groggy groan, she takes out a gun and points at the innocent critter that just landed on the sink.

 

“I’m trying to sleep, for goodness sake!”



 

BAM! BAM! BAM!



 

Momo closed her eyes and held her breath from the continuous shots, expecting a gory scene of blood splattering everywhere and holes decorating the already cracking walls. Instead, she found nothing of sort - only the cockroach jerking its legs in its final breaths with a few small orange balls.  

 

“It’s a BB gun.”

 

The tall woman clarified with a stifled yawn, before retreating back to her room while the other two let out a deep breath of relief - unsure whether from the shots of plastic balls or the dying cockroach.

 

“Rest in peace,” Sana muttered to the twitching critter before turning to Momo. “You clean that up.”

 

“What? Why me?”

 

“I’m your guest, duh.”

 

“But your partner killed it!”

 

“I didn’t ask for it!”  

 

Meanwhile, Mina stands at the corner, watching everything in silence while inwardly judging the peculiar sorts of characters and chaos about to take over the house. 

 

Momo was right - it wasn’t Minju she should be worried about.

 

Inhaling a deep breath, she ignores the duo still quarreling over the dead cockroach to resume her cooking.

 

“Hey, Myoui ojou-sama! Where are you going? Give us a hand!”

 

Sana calls out after catching Mina’s figure at the corner, only to earn a smirk from the former young master.

 

“I’m no longer a Myoui, Sana.” She crossed her arms, letting out a tutting sound as she faced the bewildered Sana, her stance full of pride and an air of smugness.

 

“It’s Hirai.” Mina declared, “Hirai Mina, yoroshiku !”  

 

 


A/N:

Hirai Mina, everyone! How was it? The title is lame, I know. will change it later, ahaks.

Would you prefer random chapters of nonsense shenanigans or continuation from previous plot line?