three.

you make my wishes come true
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Asami's obsession with her little brothers never wavered and it continued to play strong even months later. With her baby brothers due in a month, Asami was doing her last-minute "big sister" duties before their arrival. She still had many projects lined up for her brothers ever after having already finished many other projects before. At her favorite toy store, there were several kits that children could use and build their own toys with, and these toys could last a long time if they were built correctly, and Asami always made sure to build them correctly. The kits were some of Asami's favorite things because what was better than building your own toys to play with? It was her way of giving her brothers something important and both Mark and Yuta absolutely loved it. Quite the little engineer even at six years old. 

Now on maternity leave, too big to move around and focus on any kind work while outside of the house, Mark was always there to help his daughter complete her tasks whenever she asked, which was not often but often enough. It was mid-summer and with school on break and Asami home all day, it was the perfect time for Mark to go on maternity leave so he could watch her. They spent all day together and played, and while playing was easy for Asami to do as a young child, it was not at all easy for Mark who was hugely pregnant and tired all the time. 

Mark did his best to keep up with Asami and did his best to play along and do what she was doing, but it was nearly impossible. It was hard to get on the floor to play with her dolls or dinosaurs, it was hard to go to the park when Mark couldn't run around with her and when he ran hot in the summer heat, it was hard to get up and down to grab Asami things she knew she couldn't get on her own, and it was hard to do anything. But that never stopped him from trying, no matter how frustrating it was to do. He did his best at everything because he loved Asami with his whole heart and didn't want to miss out on her days as a young child. She was still so little and still greatly loved Mark's attention, and so far she was doing okay with what she was getting, but Mark never felt it was enough in his own mind. 

Mark never let it show how much he was struggling. Asami was still young enough to believe Mark when he would claim things were okay and she was young enough to not give it a second thought or question it. While Mark was glad to find she was naive enough to not worry about her mother, it made it plenty harder for him when Asami wanted to do something that was particularly difficult for him. Mark could of course suggest something different if it was easier for him, but he absolutely hated saying no to his daughter. She was far too cute to deny any request and Mark wanted to give her everything she ever wanted. Mark was able to do that for years since she was born and not being able to do it in the last few months was an incredibly challenging transition. It made his heart hurt seeing his daughter not get the same quality time she had before because it was his job to have that kind of time with her. He hated it. 

And today was especially hard for Mark to deal with. The day had started out just fine with Asami wanting to read or do puzzles or draw to pass the time, but then she wanted to play zoo, which mostly consisted of getting on your hands and knees and pretending you were an animal. That was something Mark could not do. 

“Mommy, I wanna play zoo! I wanna be the lion!” Asami exclaimed after finishing her latest drawing. A cute family portrait she insisted on recreating every day the past week. It was different every time and today she had chosen to draw her, Mark, and Yuta, and then drew the twins holding Asami’s hand. They were in front of a rainbow today with lots of trees and shamrocks covering the ground. She had been so proud of it and made sure Mark hung it on the fridge, right next to the portrait she had drawn yesterday. Mark loved her new rendition and shortly praised her for her work but she was moving on quickly, and Mark internally groaned at her chosen activity. 

“What should I be?” Mark asked as he gently lowered himself onto the couch. Asami preferred playing zoo on the carpet, finding that the hardwood hurt her knees and that it was the best way to pretend they were outside without being outside. Carpet was the like grass, she had claimed many times, “Can I be an elephant?” it was his go-to animal when they played zoo, and Asami was never one to complain. 

But today she was, but not about Mark being an elephant. She frowned, lips pursed and little brows furrowed, “No Mommy, you need to get on the ground and play zoo,” she insisted, now balancing on her knees at Mark’s feet, “You can’t sit on the couch. Elephants don’t sit on couches.” 

Mark wanted so badly to do as she wanted and get down on the ground so they could play, but he quite literally could not. First of all, he was now stuck on the couch, sunk into the cushions and unable to get enough momentum to get off the furniture, and then if he got on the ground he would be stuck down there and the pain in his knees would kill him. Second of all, he was exhausted from getting maybe three hours of sleep the night before, something that was now a common occurrence. Third of all, the twins were not having it today and were kicking and rolling and causing all kinds of discomfort for Mark, and getting on his hands and knees would only worsen it. And fourth, Mark was pretty sure if he were to get to the point where he was using his hands to crawl around, his gargantuan belly would drag along the ground, and he would rather not have rug burn on his poor, stretched skin. Yuta would probably call it adorable, but it was most certainly not adorable. Getting on the ground was not an option and he had to tell Asami that, but as gently as he could, “I can’t get on the ground, Sami. I’m too big and the twins wouldn’t like it,” the twins would hate it, they hated how he was sitting now. They hated every position Mark was in except what he was standing which was also hard to do now. They were never satisfied, “And I’m very tired and can’t move, but I can play with you on the couch,” it wasn’t much fun if the elephant was sitting on the couch when the lion was crawling around on the floor. 

Asami didn’t like the sound of that, “The twins won’t know,” she argued, crossing her little arms over her chest and pouting. Mark wanted to kiss that pout away so bad, but he couldn’t even reach Asami, “I just want you to play with me, Mommy, just like you used to,” there was no more anger in her features but that of disappointment. She got off the ground and hung her head defeatedly, making her way onto the couch so she could lean into Mark’s side, frown still visible and in Mark’s line of sight, “You won’t do it anymore.”

“It’s because I can’t, love,” Mark reminded, trying his best not to let his voice crack, “I’m very tired and big and the twins make it very hard for me to play like I used to,” he could feel his eyes start to itch as the onset of tears started to make their way to his waterline, “I wish I could play with you, but it will be a while before I can do it again. I’m very sorry, Sami.” 

Asami sighed, long and acquiescent, “It’s okay,” she easily forgave and assured, but didn’t sound very confident in her words. It was most certainly not okay and Mark knew that. Asami then moved to leave the couch, hopping onto the carpet once more but on her feet this time, “Can I go outside and play then?” they had a swing set and connected playground in their fenced in backyard that would keep her entertained, but Mark wished it was him that could keep his daughter entertained. 

Mark did his best to deliver a smile, but found it very hard as his emotions started to get the best of him. His daughter looked so dejected and it was hurting his chest, “Yes you can, but make sure to put on your sandals before you go outside,” she didn’t always put them on and that led to dusty foot prints in the house, “Do you need me to help you put sunscreen on?” it was one thing he could possibly help her with and he was hoping she would say yes. 

But alas, she didn’t, “I can do it myself, Mommy. But thank you,” she was then turning on her heels, sounding not as disappointed, but still disappointed enough. Asami was skilled at sunscreen, but it was always nice to do something for her, every once in a while.

Mark felt he hadn’t done anything for her recently. He was too uncomfortable to do simple tasks and when he was comfortable enough she didn’t need him at all. He was hoping he could at least help with sunscreen but yet again, he wasn’t needed and it hurt. He felt absolutely useless. 

Asami had been quiet the rest of the day, wrapped up in books and other

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter