END

Chamomile

Kyungsoo digs his fingers into the earth, closing his eyes and extending his conscious through his magic, reaching for the roots and shifting them just so, directing them apart from one another so they will all take water easily and grow in optimal sun.

A high whine draws his attention to the garden wall, where his black cat stretches and turns around to sun his other side. Some help he is; he doesn't keep pests like voles and rabbits out but will pick a fight with any crow that lands on the wall.

“I hope you roll off the wall, Baekhyun,” he mutters. The cat’s ear twitches, and Kyungsoo knows he’s been heard and deliberately ignored.

Returning his attention to the garden, he pulls out errant weeds, checking each to be sure they don't have any value. Some are set in a low bowl of water to be transplanted; others are piled up to the dried, and still others are just tossed into a pile to be burned.

There's something calming about filing through plants and sifting through leaves. He's always felt relaxed in a garden, ever since he was just a baby playing while his mom worked her calm, confident magic. Even before he learned magic, he'd follow his grandparents and parents, mimicking their spells and incantations and looking at the pictures in spell books he couldn't yet read or understand.

His favorite pastime was always shadowing his grandpa and grandma, who ran an apothecary where they specialized in medicinal herbs and remedies. The cottage he and his wife share is larger on the inside, cozy, and always the comfortable level of warm and dry. Herbs hang from the ceiling in bundles to dry out; books fill the shelves along the walls while jars and vials stuff the cabinets. Whenever Kyungsoo spent the night with his grandparents, he'd go to bed with the smells of chamomile and mint and the soft light of a lamp that dimmed as he fell asleep.

Now, he's living with his grandpa, who doesn't move or see as well as he used to. Even he, with all his knowledge and expertise, can't keep up with his own body's natural aging and degradation.

He's napping, now, snoring softly just around the corner of the cottage with a blanket over him and his own black cat heavily on his lap.

Sighing, Kyungsoo rubs his nose—scrubbing the dirt from his face with his shoulder. As much as he enjoys working in the dirt, he doesn't like the taste of it. He brushes off the knees of his pants as he gets to his feet. A pitcher of tea sits on the counter of the shop; he drinks two glasses before pouring a third for his grandpa.

Unexpectedly, but not unwelcome, someone approaches the front walk. “Mr. Do?—Oh.” Kyungsoo looks up at the call, eyebrows raised in acknowledgment. They can't be much older than himself, looking between Kyungsoo and a paper in their hand. “Uh, hi! I'm Park Chanyeol. I am looking for Do Jungsoo?”

Kyungsoo wipes condensation and bit of mud from his hands on his shirt. “Are you picking up an order?”

“Yes?”

“You're not sure?” He doesn't sound like it, but new clients are often skeptical of buying from witches or are just nervous about what to do, as if it's any different than picking up a package from the post office or a prescription from the pharmacy.

“No. I mean—I am! I just—Sorry. My grandma gets a cream for her hands from here and talks about the 'nice man' who makes it, so I guess I was expecting someone...older.” He rubs his neck, ears pink. “I-Is it ready?”

“Yes.” Kyungsoo brushes off his knees as he stands, leaving behind more dirt. “Do Jungsoo is my grandpa. I'm Kyungsoo.” Rounding the counter, he hears a soft greeting and looks over his shoulder to see his black cat on the counter trying to his head against Chanyeol's. “And that's Baekhyun. Push him off the counter, if he’s too annoying.”

Chanyeol doesn’t push him away, although he does try to dodge the demands for attention. “I'm sorry, kitty, but I'm allergic! I'd love nothing more than to love on you, but I literally cannot, or I will never breathe again.”

“I could make something for that.”

“You could?” More excitedly, he adds, “You're a witch?” Then, incredulously, "Aren't you kind of young?"

Kyungsoo drops his gaze to the small paper bags of orders waiting to be picked up, not all that hurt or surprised by the remark. More annoyed, if anything. No one seems to realize that witches aren't just born old women; they grow up like anyone else and go through years of training. “I just finished my apprenticeship, and yes. I could.” All witches leave home to complete their training at thirteen.

“That would be amazing!" His mood changes like the weather. "I really love cats.” Baekhyun trills happily, spinning in place and finally ducking his head beneath the boy’s hand as he speaks. “And dogs. And rabbits. And basically anything cute with fur, but I'm allergic. I can get around it by washing my hands and not touching my face or whatever, but sometimes I just cannot help but stick my face into a soft belly, you know?”

Kyungsoo sets the Park order on the counter and picks up Baekhyun before he can present the opportunity, and the cat purrs noisily, kneading the air over his witch's shoulder.

Chanyeol has hearts in his eyes, evidently imagining his dream of rolling in Baekhyun's fur.

“Is there anything else I can help you with?”

“Huh? Oh—! Uh, actually, since you’re kinda new here, I was wondering if you’d like to hang out sometime? I know the mountains don’t offer a lot of opportunities for fun or making friends, and I’m sure my friends would be excited to know an actual witch—”

“Thank you for the offer, but I’m very busy.” Baekhyun slips from his shoulder and sits on the counter, tail over his feet. “If there’s nothing else, I need to get back to work.”

“Oh...yeah. Sorry.” Chanyeol digs in his pockets, placing some money on the counter that Baekhyun immediately puts a paw on as a breeze kicks up. “Maybe some other time. Thanks for this!” He waves, the paper bag crinkling as it sways back and forth.

Kyungsoo follows him to the footpath at a short distance, watching him leave before looking up at the horizon splitting the treetops and sky. He enjoys making things for people, but he really prefers when they just leave him to his work. No one else wanted to volunteer their time or give up their lives in the city to look after his grandpa; Kyungsoo welcomed the change.

He’s not antisocial, just quiet. Contemplative. Impulsiveness isn’t a strong quality in anyone in his family. Hanging around with someone as noisy as Chanyeol—plus his friends, who are undoubtedly similar—sounds exhausting.

“You could’ve been nicer, you know,” Baekhyun remarks, batting the money into a drawer. “He’s a nice boy.”

“I’m busy.” Kyungsoo returns to the table and picks up the glass of tea for his grandpa. His old cat, still mostly black but with noticeable white over his muzzle, lumbers around the corner, dragging his tail along it. “I’m coming, hyung. I was with a customer.”

Baekhyun trots ahead, bumping heads with the older cat. They wind around one another but manage to not trip Kyungsoo.

Seated in his old chair, Do Jungsoo watches the clouds. His expression is somewhat wistful and distant.

“Grandpa?”

Blinking, the old man returns to himself and looks at Kyungsoo, then the cats, then the tea, and back to Kyungsoo. He smiles. “Ah, Hyunsoo. I must have dozed off...”

Kyungsoo smiles wanly, fighting the tremble in his bottom lip. It's not the first time his grandpa has confused him with his dad. “I brought some cold tea, because it’s warm out. Are you hungry?”

“Not yet; thank you. I’ll have an appetite tonight, though.” He takes the tea and pats his thigh; his cat leaps up and kneads him a bit before settling on his side. When he looks back at the sky, Kyungsoo nods and backs up a few steps before returning to the front of the cottage.

Baekhyun follows him, trotting to keep up. He chirps and bumps his head against Kyungsoo's leg.

“I’m fine.” The witch stops only to lean over the counter and grab his broom, giving Baekhyun a narrow window to grab onto the end before mounting and pushing off the ground. The broom rises, climbing higher as Kyungsoo makes larger and larger circles until his home can be blocked out by his hand.

There, he slows to a stop and just sits. He never goes too far from home, but his flights are his sanctuary. Over the trees and touching the clouds, it’s just him and his thoughts. Even gravity can’t interrupt him, and Baekhyun just watches birds.

Sometimes, he flies to calm down. Ever since he was a baby, flying has been soothing and comforting, becoming a habit when he needs to think or relax. Other times, he flies to cry away from unsolicited sympathy. He doesn't like others knowing his bad feelings.

Today is a flight for both. Baekhyun rouses from his doze to check on his witch and climb over his leg to sit between his thighs, but he otherwise does nothing except purr.

Once the tears run out, Kyungsoo wipes his cheeks and returns to the ground, storing his broom behind the counter by his grandpa's again.

It's time to start dinner.

 

He's organizing ingredients—“Cinnamon for indigestion; feverfew for headaches and migraines; chamomile and lavender...oh that smells nice...for anxiety; garlic for high blood pressure; ginger for nausea; sage and gingko for memory; ginseng for energy...”—when Baekhyun trills.

“Hey, kitty cat!” Kyungsoo leans around the corner and spies the boy from yesterday, Chanyeol. Baekhyun hops onto the counter when Chanyeol knocks against the window frame. “Anyone home?”

Kyungsoo isn't expecting anyone; he doesn't really want to deal with anyone, either. They could potentially ruin his grandpa's good day and Kyungsoo's good mood.

“Hello.”

“Hey! Uh,” Chanyeol looks over his shoulder, rubbing his neck. “Thanks for yesterday; my mom wanted me to bring these...” He sets a bag of containers with colored paper labels. Side dishes, Kyungsoo discovers. He pushes Baekhyun's face away and restacks them. “She says she made too much, but she only did that after I mentioned you live with your grandpa, so I think she did it accidentally on purpose.”

“Thank you. It's thoughtful.”

Chanyeol shrugs, rubbing down Baekhyun's nose with a fingertip.

“If there's nothing else, I need to get back to work.”

“Well, actually, I was wondering if you have something for something kinda embarrassing.” Pointing to his face, he adds, “I am having a really bad breakout.” Two red pimples, one on his jaw and the other near his mouth, stand out against his fair skin.

Kyungsoo's had worse.

“I just thought I'd ask, since I was coming anyway—” He falters when Kyungsoo turns towards the shelves, but the witch grabs a small vial and pushes it across the counter.

“Morning and evening, put a little on the sites.”

Chanyeol opens it and sniffs suspiciously, humming at the pleasant, minty smell. Tea tree oil is one of Kyungsoo's favorite scents. “Thanks.“ He puts it in his pocket and Baekhyun's nose again. “So I guess I'll see you later?”

Kyungsoo shrugs. The sunlight is highlighting a mess of cobwebs he's been ignoring for too long. They should get swept away.

Baekhyun follows Chanyeol to the gate and watches him leave, returning to Kyungsoo and hopping onto his shoulder just to sneeze at a cloud of dust.

“It was nice of Mrs. Park to send that food,” Kyungsoo remarks. “I'll make some pork to go with it tonight. Grandpa will like that.” Baekhyun rubs their cheeks together in agreement.

 

Twice can be coincidence, but three times suggests a pattern.

Kyungsoo sits on the outskirts of the garden, reading beneath a tree while his grandpa dozes with their cats. He hears Chanyeol before he sees him.

“Hi!” Chanyeol waves, smiling wider when Kyungsoo waves back, albeit much less enthusiastically. It's only been a handful of days, but the tea tree oil seems be working for him. “Whatcha reading?”

“An old spellbook.”

Chanyeol tries to sound out the title and frowns. “Is that even in Korean?”

“No.”

“Oh... Well, funny story: My sister and I haven't been sleeping because our dad's snoring is so bad. Mom is used to it, I guess, but even she's said it's gotten worse. Is there anything he can try that'll stop it?”

Barely containing the sigh as he sets his book aside, Kyungsoo stands and motions for Chanyeol to follow him. The cats look up briefly but lie back down, ignoring Chanyeol's wave.

“Boil this at night for him to drink. Mint contains menthol, which reduces mucous. It's also anti-inflammatory and smells nice.”

“It does smell nice,” Chanyeol agrees softly, holding the bag under his nose. “Thank you! This may just save my family.” He smiles easily. It's always too big, showing off lots of teeth. “Are you doing anything later? We could hang out—”

“I have to make dinner for my grandpa and get him to bed.”

“Yeah, sure. I get it. Some other time, maybe...” He waves, less cheerful than before, and leaves.

Kyungsoo returns to his spot by his book but can't concentrate. He rarely leaves home, which he doesn't mind. He likes being alone; he likes being near his grandpa, in case he's needed.

Forcing his mind to focus, he re-reads the same paragraph and summarizes to himself. Ginseng, ginko, turmeric, and sage all benefit brain function, but none can recover what’s already lost.

The cats stir on his grandpa's lap; he's awake and stretching to walk around the garden, chatting with his shadowy companions. Kyungsoo tucks the book under his arm to join them.

No one wanted to leave their lives for a man who’s forgetting his own.

 

Chanyeol has got to be really bored, because he keeps coming back to the Do cottage.

Baekhyun's always welcoming. Overly so, even, taking to dropping on the ground and rolling onto his back right in front of Chanyeol's feet.

He always asks if Kyungsoo's busy—Yes, he is.—after making up some excuse for his visit and presenting some inconvenience or inane problem, wondering if Kyungsoo has a solution.

Hangnails? Honey. Hiccups? Cardamom in hot water. Grandma's arthritis? Warm mustard oil. It's not all magic, but Chanyeol is amazed with everything and looks at Kyungsoo like he's magic. All-knowing and so powerful.

It's kind of nice.

 

At some point, and Kyungsoo's not sure when, he starts too look forward to Chanyeol's visits. He'll circle the cottage on his broom to try and spot the boy, returning to the workshop in time to catch Chanyeol before he can announce himself.

Chanyeol thinks it's the conspiracy of magic until he's introduced to Kyungsoo's broom.

“I have never actually seen a witch ride a broom before. Although, to be fair, I've never actually seen a witch aside from your grandpa before, either, and he was always walking.” Poking the wooden handle, he chews his lip. “How's it work?”

Kyungsoo shrugs. “We fly with our spirit.” Baekhyun rubs around his ankles and arches his back a little to be held. “You wanna try?” he adds shyly.

“Will it hold the both of us?”

“Sure.” He's never flown with a passenger bigger than Baekhyun, but he's been on his mom's and grandparents' brooms with them. True, he was much smaller, but brooms are as strong as their maker, and Kyungsoo likes to think he's a pretty strong witch. It's his first handmade broom, after breaking an old one of his mom's during training, but it's been reliable so far.

In front of the cottage, Kyungsoo straddles the broom and looking expectantly at Chanyeol, who's less enthusiastic than before but waddles over the bristles behind the witch.

“Do I hold onto you or the broom?”

“Whichever makes you feel better, just hold on.” Baekhyun crawls down Kyungsoo's back to sit between them, smiling over his shoulder at Chanyeol.

It's a strange sensation, calling something from inside oneself, but it's second nature to Kyungsoo. Chanyeol watches in wonder as a breeze seems to kick up from nowhere, throwing around leaves and bending the grass beneath them. He feels them lift—his heels leave the ground, then the balls of his feet, and his toes—then they're hovering.

Kyungsoo looks back at him. His eyes seem brighter, catching the sunlight and ignoring some red fire beneath the brown iris. “You good?”

“Broomsticks are not designed for comfort.”

Kyungsoo laughs and urges the broom to climb. It's more difficult with a passenger, but he feels lighter than usual. He waves to his grandpa, who wears a proud smile and waves back, his black cat sitting up primly at his feet.

After a bounce of turbulence that may or may not have been intentional, Kyungsoo feels one of Chanyeol's hands grab his shoulder. The other hand clutches his shirt at his waist. He worries Chanyeol is scared, but he's rewarded with another face-splitting smile when he looks behind him.

They fly in the clouds, dipping above and below like seals hopping through ocean waves. Baekhyun slips around Chanyeol to sit on the bristles for a better view of a flock of geese.

Tiredness sits on Kyungsoo's shoulders, then settles heavily, and he guides them back to the cottage. A passenger is a lot on his broom; it needs to rest.

“That was incredible!” Chanyeol shakily walks to the counter and collapses against it. “Is that how it always feels to fly?”

“Sometimes, yes.”

Chanyeol continues to marvel, recounting his first flight as though Kyungsoo hadn't been with him the whole time.

“You should come show off to my friends sometime! They'd totally freak out.”

The giddiness bubbling in Kyungsoo's chest settles, and he shrugs as he shakes his head. “I really don't have the time. Grandpa needs me here.” Baekhyun headbutts his calf and meows flatly. “Maybe... If they'd like, they come up here sometime, though?”

Chanyeol grins. No teeth, just a gentle curve of the mouth. “That sounds like fun.”


a/n: Written for EXO Crossover Fest.

I love Kiki's Delivery Service, so I was excited for this prompt, but the execution definitely doesn't match that excitement. I couldn't think of "outlandish problems/requests" to write about! I did get to use some of my herbal knowledge, though. Everything mentioned here is an actual thing.

The title is "Chamomile" because it's a very supportive plant. It's relaxing and just a cute little flower, one of the best herbs for friendship and healing. (It's also just one of my own favorites. We didn't have any growing for a long while, but now it takes over a whole corner of the garden. Smells and tastes great, plus pollinators love it!)