Chapter 3

Unrequited Love

 

[Seohyun’s POV]

“Seobaby! How’s your ankle already?” Tiffany-unnie asked me with concern. “It’s getting better already unnie! Look I can start to run already!” I said lively. “Yah! Seo Joo-hyun! Be careful before you injure yourself again!” My naggy brother starts his worrisome job again. “Oppa, I know how to take care of myself! Stop worrying about me! I’m no longer a baby! Please do something about this unnie!” I complained. Both of them burst into laughter and I laughed along with them.

“Seohyun-ah, so, you’re actually working on an assignment with Kyuhyun right?” Siwon-oppa asked. “Yes oppa, why?” I asked. “Nothing… that chap is a little…different. You won’t fall for him right?” Siwon-oppa said. “Of course not, oppa! I won’t deny the fact that he is a little weird, maybe that’s just his character.” I said. “That’s good, because, he actually treasures his Starcraft more than anything else.” Siwon-oppa said. “Really? Haha that’s cute!” I accidentally blurted out. “CUTE?! Yah Seo Joo-hyun, you wouldn’t want a husband who only cares about a non-living thing right?” He screamed at me. I instantly blush at the thought of Kyuhyun as my husband. That’s impossible…right?

“Oppa, you’re worrying too much again. Enjoy your afternoon with Tiffany-unnie, I’m meeting Yoona-unnie and the rest of the girls at the cafe nearby.” I said and took my bag with me. “Can’t you just give it a miss for once? Your ankle is injured, you need to refrain from walking too much!” Siwon-oppa nagged. “I can walk slowly over! Goodbye! Goodbye unnie!” I said and closed the door behind me. Phew!

“Unnie!” My mood lit up instantly as I saw my unnies waiting for me. “Aigoooo what happened to our Seobaby!” Taeyeon-unnie asked worriedly. “Taeyeon-unnie, I don’t need another lashing from you guys already, you should know why right?” I said. All of them started laughing and everyone in the cafe were looking at us. We were busy chatting away and Yoona-unnie stood up to announce something to us. “Girls…I’m getting married soon!” Yoona-unnie said slowly. “Really! With Donghae-oppa? Wow! Congrats Yoong!” Yuri said.

“Yeah, it has been a year since we’ve graduated, and he couldn’t wait any longer…so…yeah.” She blushed madly. All of us took turns to hug her. She has finally found her special one after so many failed relationships, all of us were really happy for her.

“Seobaby! When are you going to get a boyfriend? You’re graduating soon! And you’re already 20! Don’t tell me you’re gonna die an old hag all by yourself!” Hyoyeon-unnie teased me. “Yah! If our Seobaby decides to go single her whole life, lots of guys would die of heartbreak.” Sooyoung-unnie added. “Unnie! I’m still not ready! Furthermore, I’ve not met the special one yet.” I said calmly. “I can’t possibly rush into a relationship just because I don’t want to die an old hag right?” I added while chuckling. “You and your reasons, Seo!” Sunny-unnie said.

“I heard from Donghae-oppa, you and Kyuhyun are actually working together for an assignment~” Yoona-unnie said teasingly. “Unnie! You know that’s just schoolwork! Don’t try to make up things that are impossible.” I defended. “Well it’s true that their personalities are a little too far apart…” Sooyoung-unnie said. I nod my head vigorously in agreement. “But miracles do happen you know!” Sooyoung-unnie continued her sentence. I stared at her in disbelief and kept quiet. These unnies, all they think about is love.

The weekends past really quickly, and I’m back in school again. Mrs Jung was giving out our assignments with comments for us to improve on it. I thanked her for the paper and took a look at the marks…Wow no amendments to be made! She even praised us for our work! “Kyuhyun-sshi! Take a look at this! We’ve got a distinction for our work!” I shook his arms excitedly. He took a look at the paper, another look at me, and went back to sleep. I sighed and flipped through the assignment, there was a slight difference in my part and I reckoned it was amended by Kyuhyun himself. He may be difficult to deal with, but he definitely has the brains.

I turned towards him and whispered gently to him. “Thanks Kyuhyun-sshi, for doing your part so well! It was a pleasure…”

 

[Kyuhyun’s POV]

I was trying to find a comfortable angle to lie properly, and as I was turning my head to Seohyun’s direction, I felt her breathe on my face. It was of such close proximity that we were just 3cm apart. I opened my eyes and found her huge brown eyes staring at me in shock. I immediately retreated and I lost my balance, falling backwards onto the ground. “Kyuhyun-sshi! What happened! Are you alright?” Mrs Jung hurried over. “No…nothing… I…I just lost my balance that’s all.” The class started to burst out laughing and I shot them a deadly glare. They immediately kept quiet and I stood up straight and stared at the whiteboard.

Seohyun on the other hand, was blushing madly and she cleared awkwardly to break the silence between us. “So..sorry.” She mumbled. I could not get back to sleep, my heart was thumping too quickly, I was feeling uneasy. I have not experienced such a feeling before and I didn’t like what I was feeling. It was something…unexpected.