se-quel

The Aftermath [Pre/Se-quel for 10 Years]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Present Time: 3 Days After the Confrontation in the Hospital

 

 

“She’s not going out Nayeon and you know that.”

 

 

“! That Minatozaki, I swear I’ll strangle her!”

 

 

“Babe, you need to chill. You think Dahyun’s going to let you do that?”

 

 

“Then I should really do it for that dumb kid to go outside!”

 

 

Currently, Jeongyeon, Jihyo and Nayeon are in front of Dahyun’s door. Bedroom door. Her neighbors told them she hasn’t come out ever since, it was a good thing Nayeon has a spare key of her apartment but Dahyun was clever as she locked herself in her room.

 

 

Jihyo was still in her chairman uniform from a factory she’s working in, Nayeon’s in her pajamas (she slept in the living room) and Jeongyeon’s wearing a formal suit, getting ready to attend a conference intended for entrepreneurs any time now.

 

 

Then a figure came from the stairs and tucked her phone inside her pocket, “Mina said she’s on her way.”

 

 

It was a good call in Jihyo’s opinion, Mina and Dahyun almost regained their close bond due to having the same field of work but of course it was during the time Dahyun had to tend to Sana’s needs.

 

 

Nayeon dropped a sigh before leaning her forehead on Dahyun’s door, “Sweetie, Nayeonnie is here now please open the door.”

 

 

Jeongyeon’s heart broke seeing Nayeon stressed like that. Jeongyeon has always been close with Dahyun especially for being the only one to laugh at her stupid jokes but now that she and Dahyun are going to be a family, Jeongyeon finally understood why her fiancée is so overprotective.

 

 

“Guys don’t you think we also have a fault at this?” Jihyo opened up.

 

 

“What are you on about Jih? It was Sana’s choice to have a ed-up life.” Nayeon muttered.

 

 

 

“No, Jihyo’s right. I’m not siding with Sana but this isn’t about her anymore. It’s about Dahyun. We let the poor kid carry and handle her alone when we could’ve been there with her.” Momo added which made Nayeon turn to her.

 

 

 

“So are you saying we should’ve kissed the floor and asked for Sana’s forgiveness?”

 

 

 

Momo immediately waved her hands, she knows better than to engage with a hot-headed Nayeon right now.

 

 

“Unnie that’s not what I meant, all I want to say is that we shouldn’t of have fed Dahyun such words and instead try to understand her actions and support her a little bit back then. Our little tofu got so pressured having her in between Sana and us.” Momo explained and Jihyo can agree with that.

 

 

Nayeon got Momo’s point, she Sana to the very core but needless to say, she still considers Sana her friend even if she was the one who told her off back then. Every time they hear the news of her and her suicidal ways, they can’t help but get sad. They never prayed for anything ill to happen to her, they just wished she’d open her eyes and heart for everyone around that loves and cares for her.

 

 

“I know and I deeply regret that. It’s just…seeing Dahyun like this I know I’m also one to blame.”

 

 

Jeongyeon pulled the older one and hugged her, muffling her sniffs. Nayeon was the only relative Dahyun have with her right now. Her mother died in an early age, her father married a woman who already has a son named Taehyung but her father died in a heart attack 4 years ago and Taehyung is on tour right now, visiting her only when Christmas and birthdays come.

 

 

A sound of the main door opening caught everyone’s attention and they didn’t have to know who it is. Just by the sound her footsteps make, they know it’s the person they’re waiting for.

 

 

“Mina.”

 

 

“Where is she?” Mina immediately asked.

 

 

Unlike the others, Mina wasn’t informed of what happened in the hospital. She was about to go to work, hoping Dahyun would soon come back after she filed a leave to take care of Sana but when Momo called her and told her what happened she immediately made a detour and went to Dahyun’s apartment instead.

 

 

Nayeon and Jeongyeon stepped aside and revealed the door that has been closed ever since Dahyun got home from the hospital. The five of them had a huge disadvantage, Dahyun’s pantry is inside and she also has her own bathroom, which really gave her a whole lot of reason to not go out.

 

 

They watched as Mina softly knocked on the door twice, “Dahyun? It’s me.”

 

 

There was a moment of silence before they heard footsteps coming.

 

 

“M-Mina-unnie?”

 

 

 

Nayeon released a sigh of relief after hearing Dahyun’s strained and hoarse voice. Mina on the other hand closed her eyes and leaned her ears on the door.

 

 

“Can I come in? Let’s talk about it?”

 

 

When Mina said that, the other four immediately moved away from the door to give them space. They actually didn’t expect for Dahyun to gently open the door, wide enough for Mina to go in. Nayeon was about to barge in too but Jeongyeon held her and shook her head.

 

 

“Mina’s with her. Rest assured.”

 

 

 

The four decided to give them time, Nayeon went downstairs to cook for something incase Dahyun needs one and both Jeongyeon and Jihyo had to go since they have work to do and some conference to attend while Momo stayed with Nayeon downstairs.

 

 

Mina doesn’t need any explanation or words as to why Dahyun looked so horrible right now.

 

 

Actually, no talking really happened. Mina just hugged Dahyun to sleep, something the younger girl hasn’t done for the past 3 days.

 

 

After some time, Mina went down and had lunch with Nayeon and Momo.

 

 

“How was she?” Nayeon asked.

 

 

“She looked so fragile unnie. It’s like, she’ll break any time soon.” Mina sadly replied.

 

 

“You think that’s not yet her breaking point?” Momo looked at her, confused.

 

 

Mina can only shake her head, “It’s the aftermath we’re talking about Momo-unnie.”

 

 

It was already evening when Dahyun woke up, Nayeon and Momo had gone back to their own place while Mina stayed behind that’s why Dahyun heard shuffling and movement in her kitchen where she found Mina cooking something.

 

 

“Dahyun-ah, perfect! You’re just in time for..dinner? Eh? It’s already this dark?”

 

 

Mina was not really used to cooking that’s why it took her so much time to prepare and she’s still in her work attire. Although, Mina knows she’s going to get in so much trouble with their boss for leaving without any reasons at all but she’s gonna deal with that later. Dahyun is a priority at the moment.

 

 

Dahyun squints her eyes, trying to adjust to the light in her own kitchen before she realized it, “Mina-unnie, you didn’t go to work today..” It was a rhetorical question that’s why Mina just smiled at her.

 

 

“Let’s eat, shall we?”

 

 

 

Fortunately, Dahyun complied. 3 days of eating snack bars was not really filling up her stomach. Although Mina’s cooking tastes a bit off than hers, she was still very much thankful for the hot meal served before her.

 

 

“You didn’t have to, Mina-unnie.” Dahyun finally said after they finished their dinner.

 

 

 

“I know.” Mina stared at her before having the courage to finally say it.

 

 

 

“I’m sorry you had to experience this Dahyun-ah.”

 

 

 

Dahyun can only smile weakly, “Nah, it’s kind of my fault unnie now that I think about it. I see this coming and yet I still went for it.”

 

 

 

Subconsciously, Mina reached out for Dahyun’s hand, “and remember that you’re strong for that.”

 

 

Dahyun smiled at her, this time a bit more genuinely, “Thank you unnie.”

 

 

And just like that, Mina finds herself visiting Dahyun’s apartment more often though Momo doesn’t really label it as visiting, it was like living there without sleeping there. It was confusing but kinda true. Mina wakes up early to go to Dahyun’s apartment and cook her breakfast and lunch, Dahyun can’t even catch her at time in the morning due to her waking up late and if that was the case, Mina would just leave her with some post-it notes and would later come back in evening, straight from work just to accompany her in dinner.

 

 

Dahyun always expresses her worries and concern about this set-up because she herself had gone through it and knows how tiresome it can be but the way Mina reassured her was something so new to Dahyun.

 

 

That’s why, after months of that set-up Dahyun finally got the courage to return the favor by coming back to work which surprised Mina a lot.

 

 

“Oh my god!!”

 

 

Mina was so overwhelmed with happiness that she can’t help but run towards her and crushed her in a hug in front of their colleagues. Mina squealed which made Dahyun broke into a smile before returning the hug.

 

 

“Are you sure you’re okay now? I can still cover up for your break, you know that right?”

 

 

That’s right. Mina and Dahyun were assigned together on a project before she filed a leave and because of what happened, Mina had to double her efforts in work at the same time having that setup with Dahyun.

 

 

Dahyun shook her head, “To be honest, I’m still not but life goes on right?”

 

 

Mina smiled when Dahyun used her step-brother’s slogan in one his works.

 

 

“Then let me lead me to your office.” Mina sweetly smiled, vastly proud of the first step Dahyun took.

 

However Dahyun’s return was cut off short when the two went into a meeting with their standing boss, Jinyoung.

 

 

It was right after Mina was presenting their proposal when Jinyoung threw the folder across the table, “What is this Ms. Myoui?”

 

 

 

“Pardon, Sir?”

 

 

 

“This proposal is a joke! Do you really think we can convince the board with that?”

 

 

For Dahyun, that was like a trigger word which made her abruptly stood up, making the chair screech and also getting the attention of their boss.

 

 

“Given the budget and all, I’d say what Mina made is the most efficient way to go with and calling her hard work of almost 2 months a mere joke, I don’t think you fully understand what architecture is all about. She gave her all in this stupid last-minute project you gave us and you’re calling it a joke?” Dahyun said with a cold-stone expression before grabbing Mina’s proposal on the table.

 

 

“You know what? This is not the issue, is it? You’re finding ways to fire her well guess what? We resign.” Dahyun annunciated as she clasped Mina’s hand on hers.

 

 

Jinyoung and Mina are both dumbfounded at what just happened but before Mina and Dahyun can even exit the room, Dahyun turned to him, “And give Yuta my regards.”

 

 

Dahyun and Mina didn’t stayed longer and just ordered her secretary to clean up their offices. The two are now in Dahyun’s car, on their way to her apartment when Dahyun suddenly cursed.

 

 

“, what was I thinking. Mina-unnie I’m so sorry.”

 

 

Mina was still pondering on what Dahyun said before they went out the room that’s why she was quiet throughout the whole ride so far.

 

 

“Don’t worry about it Dahyun-ah. He’s been giving me the hard time ever since you left for a while and now I kind of understand why. Does this have something to do with him?”

 

 

Dahyun fixed her gaze on the road and was hesitating to tell Mina about it, afraid that her trauma of him might come back. Mina saw this and placed a hand on Dahyun’s thigh.

 

 

“It’s okay.”

 

 

Dahyun drew in a deep breath, “Yeah, I actually just found it out recently myself when I went to the site last week to check on it. Yuta and Jinyoung were there. I had Yujin look into it and found out that the two are related.”

 

 

Mina got quiet for a moment and that made Dahyun worry.

 

 

“Leaving was a good decision then.”

 

 

When Dahyun and Mina entered the apartment, the tofu remembered something.

 

 

“Mina-unnie, your place.”

 

 

Mina sheepishly smiled before placing her things on the counter, “Yeah you’re right. I should move out soon before he kicks me out first.”

 

 

Mina’s staying at their company’s building and now that Mina has resigned, it would only be unnatural for her to stay there.

 

 

 

“Stay here then unnie.”

 

 

The older girl was taken a back. She never expected for Dahyun to offer her place, especially since there’s only one bedroom and she might need her space after that devastating heartbreak.

 

 

“For the time being, my place is cramped and you can have my bedroom. I’m always fine sleeping on the floor if you don’t mind?”

 

 

Mina quickly shook her head, “No, no I already caused you too much trouble Dahyun-ah. You lost your job too.”

 

 

“I didn’t like it that much anyways. I’ve always wanted to quit.” Dahyun stated with a sad tone and Mina knew why.

 

 

It was because of Sana.

 

 

“I can always stay with Chae. She’s renting this condo large enough for the both of us.” Mina stated but Dahyun just hummed.

 

 

“Yeah you might be wrong on that one.” Dahyun showed Mina her phone where a post has been made 4 hours ago.

 

 

Finally moved in! @snchae <3

 

It was a picture of Chaeyoung, Momo and Boo in her condo where a lot of boxes are visible behind them.

 

 

A barely audible gasp can be heard from Mina, “That wench!”

 

 

Dahyun had to cover to prevent herself from laughing, “Pfft.”

 

 

Mina raised a brow at her because of that.

 

 

“I’m sorry unnie, I was just not used to you cursing.”

 

 

Mina playfully rolled her eyes, “Yeah you can thank Momo for that.”

 

 

The older girl placed a hand on her forehead only for Dahyun to take it off before smiling warmly, “You can stay here unnie until you find a new place.”

 

 

Mina immediately contacted her parents about the situation and that she needs to switch locations they were worried of course but when they heard she’s going to stay in Dahyun’s place, all those worries were gone. Dahyun knew Mina’s parents simply because she introduced her to them during their high school days.

 

 

Later that night Mina thought about how Dahyun defended her and getting triggered with the word, “joke”

 

 

“That must be an aftermath.”

 

 

Mina deeply sighed before going out of the bathroom where she saw Dahyun setting up the futon on the floor.

 

 

“Dahyun-ah? Why are you setting up the futon?”

 

 

Dahyun was confused, she did say she’s going to sleep on the floor earlier.

 

 

“Uhh?”

 

 

Mina smiled before walking towards the bed and pats the space beside her, “Your bed is large enough for the two of us.”

 

 

“Are you sure you don’t mind?”

 

 

Mina can only chuckle, “I should be the one sleeping on the floor actually.”

 

 

Dahyun stopped and thinks for a moment, she didn’t really want her guest to sleep on the floor and it was also a sign for Dahyun to move into a bigger place. In the end Dahyun muttered an ‘okay’ before putting the futon back.

 

 

After Dahyun has settled on the other side of the bed, Mina mustered up her courage and called out Dahyun’s name.

 

 

“Dahyun?”

 

 

The tofu turned around and met Mina’s soft gaze on hers. The older one bit her lower lip, she noticed this earlier but hesitated to point it out, fearing Dahyun might take it the wrong way or something but here goes nothing.

 

 

 

Dahyun tensed up when Mina’s cold fingers touched her cheek, slowly and gently until her whole hand rested against it.

 

 

 

“Un—”

 

 

 

“Dahyun it’s okay to cry.”

 

 

 

Cat got Dahyun’s tongue, she was sure she’s doing a good job so far. It has been months already, she shouldn’t be still be so affected over it but how come a word from Mina brought down her masks that instant?

 

 

H-huh?

 

Dahyun didn’t notice her tears flowing out without her darn permission and the next thing she knew, Mina’s already hugging her as she pathetically cried on her chest.

 

 

“I know what you’re thinking and no, it’s not pathetic Dahyun-ah. Time may heal things but remember that it was time that made you so hurt like this so please don’t blame yourself for anything.”

 

 

How? Just how can Mina know her like this? Safe to say, Dahyun wasn’t used to having someone so attentive of her, sure there’s Nayeon but she works far away. To put it short, she wasn’t used to being on the receiving side and this kind of thinking was a result from her Sana ordeal and that’s what Mina knows very much.

 

 

“Mina-unnie it still hurts.”

 

 

The way Dahyun’s voice squeaked and cracked, it stings Mina’s heart making her question how Sana can possibly have the strength to even hurt her?

 

 

 

“You’re allowed to feel that way.”

 

 

Dahyun tightened her grip on Mina’s shirt, “It’s just I was left with so many questions unnie and even if she reasoned her way out, I’d still be left wondering just why? She could’ve declined that stupid promise instead of kidding around.”

 

 

Mina can understand why Dahyun felt that way, Sana wasted her time and life and now Dahyun felt like she was left with nothing to go on and that’s the part where she’s wrong.

 

 

“You’re there for Sana when she went through her dark times right? What makes you think that you’re going through this alone just because she’s not here anymore?” Mina’s voice was so soft and the way she wiped Dahyun’s tears way with her sleeve, it was filled with so much care.

 

 

 

“Besides I’m here, your favorite unnie and we still have a lot to catch up on Dahyun-ah.” Mina added which made Dahyun broke into a small chuckle.

 

 

“Yeah but you still have to wrestle with Nayeonie with that one.”

 

 

The two ended up laughing as they imagine Nayeon probably crying if ever she finds out that Mina was and is Dahyun’s favorite unnie all these time and that Dahyun was just using her cousin for ice creams.

 

 

~~

 

2 months quickly passed by and somehow Mina became so accustomed with life of having Dahyun with her 24/7. Their routine goes like this, Mina wakes up first and brews a coffee before she wakes Dahyun up to walk their dogs out and then the two will return home for Mina to cook them breakfast. Their lunch was mostly spent outside especially since the two are looking for another company to work, they did a ton of interviews but so far only Mina passed only because Jinyoung and Yuta tipped the neighboring companies not to accept a certain Kim Dahyun which did not sit right with Mina at all, resulting to her turning down the offers at the last minute.

 

 

As for Dinner, Dahyun’s the master in that and it just made Mina remember just how much Dahyun wanted to be a chef in their middle school days but things changed and Dahyun developed a passion for architecture but since she’s blacklisted in the companies here in Seoul, Dahyun tried extending her scope and reached Australia’s servers.

 

 

“Yes Maam I can hear you.” Dahyun nodded at the screen.

 

 

 

Mina arrived, bringing Dahyun’s hot choco but seeing that the younger is busy Mina just placed the hot choco on the coaster beside her before mouthing a ‘Good Luck!’ accompanied with Sailor Venus’ pose which made Dahyun crack up.

 

 

It was when Mina noticed how proud she was for Dahyun that despite her break downs from time to time, they managed to get past 2 months living together and suddenly everything felt natural for Mina. Even the way they unintentionally cuddled as they sleep or when Dahyun accompanies her to the mall to buy some clothes or whenever they go on a roadtrip just to unwind—everything felt in place that’s why Mina suddenly got scared.

 

 

I’m not in love with Dahyun, am I?

 

 

 

Since when did Mina looked at Dahyun that way? She always thought it’s just the lingering best friend feelings that she had ever since middle school—was that love all along?

 

Mina wasn’t so sure and that’s why this calls for an emergency meeting.

 

 

“Eh?! You just realized it now?” Momo was beyond shocked.

 

 

“Seriously Mina I thought you’re the normal one here?” Jihyo added as she calmly sips on her frappe.

 

 

“Yeah girl, remember how you literally said yes to Yuta on the spot just because you got jealous when Sana kissed Dahyun’s cheek because our little tofu gave her a shiba toy from the claw machine?”

 

 

Momo and Jihyo erupted in laughter while Mina was covered with red all over her face, “I-I suggest we do not bring such things back!”

 

 

“You get our point Mina.” Nayeon shrugged, unbothered while Momo and Jihyo continued teasing the younger.

 

 

Mina bit her lip and turned to them with such a worried expression, “I need your help. I’m indeed in love with her.”

 

 

Momo cooed at her before pinching Mina’s cheeks, “Our Mittang finally accepted it!”

 

 

“Yeah what took you so long Mina? You still had to let Dahyun experience that heartbreak when you could’ve just stole her away.” Nayeon stated where she earned a slap from Jihyo.

 

 

“Oww!”

 

 

“There must be a reason why all of these happened, it might also be an eye-opener for Dahyun. I always believe in right timing.”

 

 

Then it was Momo’s turn to send a teasing face towards Jihyo’s way, “Eyy just because you and Yoongi-oppa finally got together after what seems to be a lot of push and pull since high school, doesn’t mean you get to go all romance-y on us.”

 

 

Jihyo just rolled her eyes.

 

 

“Jihyo’s right. Dahyun’s head over heels for her that time, I don’t think I can afford a rejection.” Mina sighed, “Not to mention my parents that time was a bit of reserved.”

 

 

“But you came out when you had your 18th birthday right?” Nayeon asked since she wasn’t in Korea at that time.

 

 

“Yeah and I think Dahyun nor Sana knows about it since it was around the time Sana and Dahyun had a thing going on between college and adult life.” The frown on Mina’s face flashed and Momo can’t help but laugh.

 

 

“So? What do you plan now Mina?” Jihyo asked which furrowed Mina’s eyebrows.

 

 

“Plan?”

 

 

 

“Yeah like how will you get your girl?”

 

 

 

“Are you crazy Mo? Dahyun is still fresh from that heartache, for sure she’ll have trouble letting anyone in. I’m willing to wait as she goes through this after—”

 

 

“You’re her aftermath Mina.” Jihyo immediately cuts.

 

 

“Jihyo’s right, you kept on saying aftermath ever since day 1 and I haven’t got any clue as to what it means.” Momo added.

 

 

Aftermath, is a word Mina found after that tragic event happened with Yuta.

 

 

“What do you mean by that?” Mina was puzzled.

 

 

She’s Dahyun’s aftermath? In what way? Is it a bad thing?

 

 

“An aftermath doesn’t necessarily have to be something bad Mina. Think of it as a blessing instead. Just like how Jihyo would like to say earlier, fate crafts its own thing systematically, you just had to seize it now that it’s out there.” Nayeon stated.

 

 

Mina is now beginning to see light of what she means and though she can’t totally agree with her—hitting up someone who just came from a devastating heartbreak still just doesn’t sit right with her, for Mina it’s like taking advantage of Dahyun’s fragile heart—but it is indeed something to ponder.

 

 

“Besides, it’s almost a year now. It’s about time you two start to move on with your lives. As you’ve said, Sana wasted 10 years of her life but I doubt Dahyun would let 10 more years get wasted just because of that.”

 

 

Nayeon spoke so much sense that it actually got Momo’s mouth ajar.

 

 

“Who the hell are you? You’re supposed to be the here!”

 

 

“Shut it raccoon!”

 

 

Before Mina can even reply, she can already see Chaeyoung, Jeongyeon and Dahyun coming in which meant that their brainstorming is over.

 

 

“Mina-unnie look I got you the toner you were looking for.” Dahyun handed the plastic and suddenly Mina forgot about what they were talking about earlier as she squealed in happiness.

 

 

“Seriously?! All the online pre-orders sold out where’d you get it?”

 

 

Dahyun sat beside her and fanned herself, “You’re right when you said it’s so in demand these days. I just got lucky in lining up for it.”

 

 

 

“You didn’t have to, I can just continue using the other brand you know?”

 

 

“Well yeah but don’t pretend I don’t hear you screaming in the bathroom at how strong its chemical percentage is.”

 

 

“Ughh that’s the only brand I can

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter