Chapter 3/5

Even Forever Ends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: I think you already have an idea where the story is going.. and like, why delay the inevitable and prolong the suffering? Let the angst flood. I guess I also have to apologize if this story isn't very ship-indulgent, at least not for the ship that you probably came here for.

 

_

Despite that I was literally nervously chewing my fingernails to nubs while waiting for another call from Joy, as the night went on, drowsiness came and knocked me off.

And along with sleep, dreams visited as well.

I was in some kind of a castle. The walls were made from sawed stones, the floor was of polished marble, the ceiling was high, there were passageways and arches everywhere.

The place was huge but my feet hurried towards a very familiar direction, as if I’ve been in there for plenty of times.

I patiently mounted the snaking stairway, and found the lady-in-waiting beside the oaken door of the room I was about to enter. She nodded her head in a silent permission. I let myself in as quietly as I could, afraid to break the fragile silence enveloping the dimly lighted room.

The heavy curtains were drawn, blocking out the bright sunlight from the outside. The large four-poster bed was in the center of the room, and a pale figure lain beneath the sheets.

The flickering candle in the corner was the only source of illumination, but that’s all I needed for what I’m about to do.

I tiptoed to the edge of the bed and leaned over the frail girl, brushing away strands of dark hair from her face. It was the face I’ve known so well, though it was hardly the same face at all.

I don’t know why but in the dream I possessed a strong feeling of affection and concern towards her. It was beyond friendship or familial love, it was as if-

“Hope…” her cracked lips barely moved, and her lids opened, revealing the glassy inky eyes.

“I am here, Miss,” I replied quietly.

It was so painful to see the thin, almost translucent complexion of the sickened girl. Her blue-green veins throbbed gently under her skin, as well as the ones on her temples. Every breath was a struggle, and dying is a long process. If her father would be so honest, killing her should be a mercy for all of them.

But she can’t die, not if I can help it.

“Hope…” she whispered again tiredly. “I am hungry… it hurts so much.”

I rolled my left sleeve up to the elbows, and then lowered my wrist to .

I tried hard not to wince as a pair of sharp canine teeth entered my skin, and she hungrily in the precious fluid. As she fed, a strong sensation flowed to my body.

I was aroused, exhaling harshly as my heartbeat quickened, and air came in shallow gasps. I bit my lip hard to stifle a moan as my fist closed around the sheets, and bliss filled every part of me. Her nails created half-moon dents on my skin as she gripped my wrist closer to .

I almost protested with disappointment when she was done. And as the pair of tiny wounds on my wrist started to heal, color crept to her cheeks, her eyes became alert, and the strength came back.

She pulled me in for a kiss and I tasted my own blood on her tongue.

+

I woke up sweating again and breathing heavily. I get embarrassed of these dreams, that’s why I’ve never told my mother about them. But I also feel like I’m missing something, like it should be obvious and I should know about it.

I felt dumb – not exactly the first time.

The first streak of daylight outside the window caught my attention and almost dove for my phone to see if there was anything from Joy. There was nothing – it’s just either she’s okay or she’s dead.

But as soon as the sun came up, she was standing on my doorstep.

And as soon as I opened the door, she went inside the house, brushing past my shoulder and climbed straight to my room without a single word uttered.

I decided to make cups of coffee for both of us. I don’t know about her but I’m in dire need of some caffeine to force the memory of the dream away from my mind. Also, I lacked sleep because of what happened to her last night.

But seeing her alive and well (though she was looking like she aged a couple of years overnight) gave me relief beyond words.

She was lying with eyes closed across my bed when I stepped in my room, holding a tray of coffees and toasts.

“Coffee?” I asked while carefully setting the tray on my study table.

Her eyes fluttered open reluctantly, and she sighed, lazily sitting up.

“When I got off the phone with you, she just disappeared. But I still locked the house, let the lights on, and guarded all night drinking gallons of coffee. Thankfully, my parents were out of town and my sister was at a sleepover.”

She rubbed her sleepy eyes and yawned, then glared at me.

“Can you tell me exactly what you are to her because I really don’t get why a peck on the cheek would earn me an early death?” she asked, face void of any pleasant emotions.

I knew it. I have to admit it was my fault for not telling her earlier but it definitely wasn’t on me that the supernatural girl was extremely territorial. Mind you, we’re not even in any kind of relationship.

With really no way around it, I sat beside her on the bed and I told her everything that happened starting from the jock bullying me up to my stroll in the lake, but didn’t mention the dreams to her. Because really, they seem more like a wet dream than anything else.

She listened attentively, and not once opened to interrupt. Few minutes after I was done with my story, she was still quiet. I was starting to wonder if she just fell asleep with her eyes open.

Then with a move I didn’t see coming, she got hold of my nape and drew me closer.

The kiss tasted of mint and coffee.

I was surprised but still could feel the distinct difference between the ways they kiss. (And yes, I was comparing them). The transfer was all sensual and y, but hers was softer, sweeter and sensitive.

Unconsciously, I kissed her back, and I knew she wasn’t expecting that because she pulled away, but I chased her lips, hooking my arm around her neck.

She didn’t object, but I could feel her smile while we were kissing.

The alarm going off on my bedside table startled us and broke up whatever we were doing. And only then that embarrassment slowly got through me.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter