Chapter 5/5

Even Forever Ends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: someone just threatened me to put up the rest of the fic haha so.. Nina, jusko wag na magalet, eto na

Also, I'm sorry if them plotholes be looking like polka dots, it's my fault for not doing a proper worldbuilding, I was really just after the angst TT_TT

anyway..

_

I could feel my lungs burning, my heart working double-time to keep up, and the adrenaline coursing through my veins as I sprinted, walked, ran, stumbled my way towards the lake.

After I paused running to catch my breath. I panted, hands on my knees as I hungrily gasped for air. Drops of perspiration trickled from my forehead to my neck, soaking my already damp shirt.

Dread filled my stomach and it crept up to my chest and slowly spread to every part of my body. I felt like fainting from tiredness, but I know that I can’t give up. I have to try and go on, even if I die trying. I choked back a cry, and started running again. My feet and legs were so sore that I was sure if ever I trip and collapsed on the ground, I wouldn’t be able to get up again.

The lake finally came to view, and the silver moon proudly shining overhead was reflected on the still waters. A single figure was standing on the edge of the lake, waiting…

I gradually slowed down as I came closer, and finally stopped when I was at least three meters away from her.

“Where’s Joy?” I asked in a raspy voice, my throat felt raw and sandy. I was still out of breath.

She turned to me unhurriedly, as if she was planning to survey the whole place first before talking. Her face was deceptively blank, and even more beautiful under the night sky.

“Where is she?” I asked louder, feeling the anger and frustration welling up inside of me.

Irene sighed, and waved her hand to the water almost lazily. “We never had a lake like this then,” she mused wistfully. “All we had are the woods and the trees and the golden fields of grains. But you never wished for anything else.”

My mouth hung open in confusion. Does she hear me at all?

“We lived simply, but we were happy and we never wished for anything except to be with each other,” her voice dropped to a whisper and there was a layer of sadness in it.

“I still remember those times whenever you come to the castle and tutor me, and I would just stare at you in admiration, and you’d scold me gently for not paying attention to the lessons.” Irene chuckled, reminiscing.

“Do you remember when I got so daring and threatened to jump from the tallest tower?” she asked softly, looking back at the past while staring up at the stars.

I didn’t know what to say or what to do, I just stood there like a statue, momentarily forgetting the very reason why I came to see her.

“You asked me what should you do for me to not jump and I said…” she paused thoughtfully, blinking at the constellations above. “I said… I said I would not jump if you let me kiss you, and…” Irene exhaled slowly, a shadow of smile on her lips.

“You said yes… but you were blushing.”

The heat rapidly traveled from my toes to my face like lava out of a volcano. Am I seriously gonna listen to this all night? But I didn’t feel like interrupting her, I was hooked to her recounting the past.

Her dark eyes flicked to me, and there was mischief in it.

“We were happy and content, and I loved you more than anything, more than my life,” and then her face shadowed with gloom. “But that thing happened and I knew I was going to die…”

I felt something lodged in my throat as I watched her solidly-built walls crumbled down.

“My only regret if I die is that I have to leave you and we would not be together again, but you didn’t let me…” her voice broke faintly. “I wished you did.”

I blinked against my dimming sight and a pair of tears rolled down my cheeks. I tasted the bitter-salty droplets in my mouth, not unlike her emotions right now.

“The cost of saving me was your life and I hated myself for it,” she continued almost inaudibly. I could feel the pain in her voice, and it was hurting me too.

“But you promised me you’ll come back, I only have to look for you. And in every lifetime I find you, I tried so hard to make you happy, to make up for the life you lost. But it seems like fate didn’t want us together…”

Irene covered with one pale hand as a sob escaped from her lips. “Why did you have to die every time? Why do you always have to break my heart and leave me? Do you hate me that much?”

“I’m not her…” I said, tears leaking out from my eyes.

She looked at me, and we were both crying, albeit for different reasons.

“You promised me…” she almost pleaded. “Please, I don’t care if this is the last time… but please, choose me.”

It was getting hard to breathe through my tears but I managed to deny her even if my refusal broke my own heart.

“I can’t,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter