EIGHT

My Type of Poison
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter Eight

Who knew a two week break would make such a difference? Ara feels a little bit out of place, kind of like how she did when she first came to college. Young, freshman Ara didn’t even know what should be worn at parties or what there was to even do once arriving. She shied away from any type of contact or crowd in the room. The taste and even the odor of alcohol would trigger her gag reflexes. Basically, as soon as she arrived, she would feel the immense urge to leave. That was until she locked eyes with a particular tanned adonis and decided that she wanted him at any cost. Like a fool. 

Yet even in her tightly clad black bralette and high waisted denim shorts, she didn’t feel like her normal party animal self right now. The music was a little too loud for her liking and the beer in her hand was a little too warm and foamy. The air was stuffy with the crowd filling in every empty crevice of the room. She was just lucky that she had decided to settle on the couch a bit away from the majority of the drunks. Sooyeon sits beside her on the large L shaped couch, flirting nonstop with a dark hair beau that has been sticking to her side like a puppy all night. He sometimes glances her way, but she brushes it off. Ara glances over to the dance floor, catching sight of Chaeyeon with a drink in her hand doing her best not to spill it as she sways her hips in the crowd. Clearly, it’s not working out too well by the looks of her liquor splattered skirt. 

Suddenly, a flash of white pulls Ara’s gaze to the center of the dance floor. Her eyes observe as the colorless fabric falls loosely over a familiar set of broad shoulders. Ara tilts her head, unconsciously trying to get a better view. It’s when the person turns slightly does her curiosity get an answer. Byun Baekhyun. He’s not alone though, definitely not, considering his lips are stuck to the pale neck of a blonde. His slender fingers trail along the girl’s small curves, both of their bodies swaying to the bass of the speakers. Clearly, the girl is reveling in his embrace, a flirty grin pulled across her face. Who wouldn’t be? Unintentionally, Ara’s brown irises meet Baekhyun’s. His eyes glint with familiarity and recognition, and what is that? Playfulness? Is this entertaining? In what way?

Ara rises from the couch, but makes a turn down the hallway to the bathroom, leaving Baekhyun and his challenge behind. Was she supposed to react a certain way? Was he expecting her to barge into the dance floor and make a scene? Who did he think he was for her to do that? Who did he think she was? Once Ara finds privacy in the not-so-spacious bathroom of the house, she leans over the vanity sink, checking her reflection, careful to not knock over the soap stand with her hands. 

Exasperatedly, she runs her fingers through her dark wavy locks, eyes checking her cherry red lipstick and sleek eyeliner. She looks the part, but feels far from it. Crazy to believe that a year ago Ara would never be seen wearing such bold cosmetics. She used to be a blush and lip balm type of gal. What happened? Kai did. She remembers investing her first paycheck in college on cosmetics, adamant to make the man notice her. It worked, eventually. Ara rolls her eyes, mainly at herself. The things she let herself do for a guy who couldn’t give a about her. 

Suddenly, like a lurking shadow, another male pops across her thoughts. Ara would be lying if she said the little makeout scene on the dance floor didn’t affect her. She blames it on the overly optimistic assumptions her friends brought up earlier. Byun Baekhyun liking her? She knew it wasn’t possible and that what she and Baekhyun had was just a temporary convenience. She’ll also admit that maybe there’s a teensy part of her that’s disappointed because she’s attracted to him, but that’s not really saying much since he’s good looking and knows how to use his charms. Any girl would be flattered if Baekhyun showed interest and luckily, for the female population he had no trouble in freely showing it. 

This party wasn’t going the way she expected her comeback to the nightlife to be like. She was supposed to dancing until her ankles gave way or you know, flirting up a random dude who’d she forget about the next day. Maybe she needs another shot to loosen up? Yeah, that’s probably the case. That’s what she’s got to do. With newfound determination to get a drink, Ara flings the door open, escaping back into the dark hallway.

“I almost forgot what you look like at a party.” A low chuckle causes the hair on her neck to rise. Good or bad, she doesn’t know. Ara turns, her eyes falling on none other than Byun Baekhyun leaning against the wall next to the bathroom’s entrance in all his smoldering hot boy-ness. 

“I could say the same for you.” Ara replies, a smile painted on her cherry lips. Over the past two weeks she’s seen Baekhyun in, more often than not, sweatpants a

Please log in to read the full chapter