Chapter Three

Visiting the parents for the weekend (JJproject ver.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The dinner table is set and the setting is perfect for Jinyoung's parents make it very clear how they feel about their son's boyfriend

***********

The overwhelming contemptuous atmosphere continues to fill the air at the dinner table, much to Jinyoung’s horror. The meal laid out in front of them looks fantastic but that’s where the lovely thing at the able end. His parents brought their usual preppy, intimidating, condescending manner to the table. Dread fills the pit of Jinyoung’s belly right away because this setting is frighteningly familiar. It reminds him of the night 3 years ago when his parents invited him to dinner to tell him that it’s not too late for him to become a lawyer like they’d always dreamed he would be.

That night hadn’t ended all that well what with Jinyoung’s parents threatening to cut him off when he emphatically, once and for all told them to stop living their dreams through him. Jinyoung has a feeling that tonight won’t end well either. Since he won’t take up the career they want, he knows that they at least hope he will date someone within the elite social circle. Im Jaebeom is very far from what’s expected of Jinyoung.

Dinner starts on a surprisingly calm with Jinyoung’s father inviting everyone to dig in. They all eat quietly and peacefully for a while and then Mrs. Park breaks the silence.

 “Jaebeom, Jinyoung tells me you’re an artist. What kind of art do you do?” she invites.

Jinyoung empties his red wine glass. He needs the alcohol for his mother’s line of questioning will not end well.

“Painting, drawing and photography.” Jaebeom easily replies.

“Oh. How fascinating.” Mrs Park mutters dryly with a bored look on her face and Jaebeom’s eyebrows tighten in a frown. “Is it fulfilling work?”

“It is actually.”

“Does it also pay the bills? I’ve heard that art is hard to monetize. I’d hope you are not living off of my son’s bank account.”

Jinyoung pours himself another glass of wine and empties that one too.

“Do I look like a free loader to you?” Jaebeom bristles, feeling and looking incredibly wronged but somehow also genuinely puzzled by how someone would so casually ask such a rude question.

Jinyoung reaches for Jaebeom’s hand under the table and squeezes it hard, begging him to calm down and let that one go. After all there are more insults up ahead. It would better for Jaebeom to let the less belligerent ones go.

Despite his rising temper, Jaebeom very reluctantly yields to Jinyoung’s demand. At the corner of his eyes, he sees Jinyoung giving him a small thankful smile. Seeing Jinyoung plead with him like this reminds Jaebeom that the two people sitting across him might be his enemies but they are also Jinyoung’s beloved family whose love, approval and support Jinyoung needs very much. Also Jebeom can’t forget that Jinyoung warned him against coming here. Jaebeom is here being subjected to this bull because of his stubbornness.

“Mum, let’s talk about bank accounts later please.” Jinyoung pleads. “Jaebeom hyung just got here.” And it’s rude of you to already start in on him about his income, Jinyoung wants to add but can’t actually find the courage to.

Jinyoung’s dad joins the conversation, vocalising an observation of his own, “I have always wondered why artists look…unkempt.” He points out while giving Jaebeom a once over. “Does that come with the territory?”

“Define unkempt.”

“Scruffy hair, childishly colourful attire, and general shabby appearance.”

Jaebeom smiles tightly and for the life of him he has no idea how to reply to such an offensive remark. “No it’s not.” That’s all he can say.

“So you’re a hippy by choice?”

“I’m not a hippy.”

The older man really looks surprised by that. “Well it’s very easy to misunderstand, all things considered.” He gestures in Jaebeom’s general direction

“I don’t think there is anything wrong with being a hippy.”

“Of course you don’t.” Jinyoung’s father looks Jaebeom up and down. “All things considered.” He repeats like that’s the only necessary explanation for how condescending and disrespectful he is being.

Jaebeom slides his gaze to Jinyoung who is regarding him carefully and nervously. Unfortunately there is no discrete way to tell Jinyoung what he’s really thinking- which is that Jinyoung’s parents are big jerks. Jaebeom is starting to understand why Jinyoung avoids his parents. Jaebeom wishes he could get up and leave without ever looking back. But he loves Jinyoung. That’s all the reason to stay and put up with this mess.  

Jinyoung senses Jaebeom’s discomfort and smiles sweetly at him, apologetically and placating. 

It works to calm Jaebeom down a bit. For now.

He turns his attention back to Jinyoung’s mother with a fresh determination to at least salvage what’s left of this awkward dinner. 

“Mrs. Park, Jinyoung tells me that you are a college professor of Literature in English. Do you mind telling me a bit about your line of work?”

That gets a tiny smile out of Mrs. park. It’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter