Chapter Four

Visiting the parents for the weekend (2jae ver.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Well that was awful.” Jaebeom needlessly says with a mirthless laugh.

It’s about 2 hours after the family dinner, an hour after family tea time and Youngjae has taken Jaebeom to the second floor balcony just outside the lounge area to get some much needed fresh air. Youngjae’s parents have disappeared into the privacy of their bedroom by now.

“It could have been worse.” Youngjae soothes, bringing his hands up and placing them on Jaebeom’s shoulders, slowly applying pressure in a massaging fashion.

Jaebeom smiles softly at his baby. “You don’t have to pretend that the dinner wasn’t a disaster.”

Youngjae’s smile melts into a heavy sigh and he drops his hands to his sides. “I don’t want to say it, but I told you so.”

“And I should have listened. Do you think I was rude to your mum?”

“A tad.”

“I’m sorry.” Jaebeom takes Youngjae’s hand and then leans in to give him a kiss on the forehead. “Your parents are important to you and I want nothing more than to get along with them. I’m trying. I really am, but it’s infuriating how they insist on calling me a broke good-for-nothing artist.”

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, baby. You don’t have to apologise.”

“None of this changes anything between us, right?”

The anxiety and fear written all over Youngjae’s face makes Jaebeom’s chest squeeze so tight. It makes him want to try even harder to get along with Youngjae’s parents. Jaebeom gathers Youngjae in his arms and holds him close. “Of course nothing has changed between us. I still love you the same. This visit will work out. Trust me on this.”

“I love you.” Youngjae says because the fact that Jaebeom is still standing here after being so heavily antagonised by Youngjae’s parents is very big proof of how much Jaebeom loves him. “You are a good boyfriend.” He punctuates those words with a kiss on Jaebeom’s lips

“Wait till I garden your mum’s socks off tomorrow.” Jaebeom says and Youngjae laughs. “There, keep smiling like that. Don’t worry so much.” He presses a soft kiss against Youngjae’s lips.

************

Jaebeom sits up in his bed, officially giving up on getting any sleep any time soon. It’s always a little hard for him to rest peacefully in a new place. He is just turning on the lamp on the bedside table when his bedroom doors opens and in walks Youngjae. The light from the lamp illuminates Youngjae adequately and Jaebeom sees the wine bottle and glasses Youngjae’s holding.  

 “Hi.” Youngjae whispers as he walks over to the bed.

“Hey.” Jaebeom replies, not hiding the surprise and curiosity from his voice.

“I knew you’d have trouble sleeping, so I brought wine.”

The confused look on Jaebeom’s face turns into a tender, appreciative smile. “I could use a drink.” He scoots over to one side on the bed and opens the covers so that Youngjae can join him.

Youngjae happily takes the invitation, making sure to sit extra close to Jaebeom as they pull the blankets back over them. Jaebeom turns to Youngjae and gives him a quick kiss on the lips.

“Won’t you get into trouble with your mum for coming here this time of night?”

“She’s sound asleep by now. I’ll leave before morning comes.” Youngjae reassures as he hands Jaebeom one wine glass.

“So how come you are awake?” asks Jaebeom

“Me? I just….” Youngjae trails off with a shrug, busying himself with opening the wine bottle. Jaebeom instantly senses that something is wrong. Youngjae is quite bad at acting non chalant when something is bothering him. Jaebeom wraps his arm around Youngjae’s shoulders to pull his closer and kisses his temple. “Talk to me.”

Youngjae halts his activity and looks at Jaeebom, thinking. Rushing to Jaebeom with his problems is a thing Youngjae is used to and Jaebeom listens well, which is a great thing. Right now though, Youngjae feels like it’s only fair that he be the one doing the listening, comforting and giving hope to Jaebeom than the other way around. After all Jaebeom is on the sharper end of the wrath in this house.

“Hey.” Jaebeom prompts, giving Youngjae a gentle nudge. “You can tell me anything.”

Youngjae shifts a little on the bed to face Jaebeom more directly and Jaebeom sees the look on Youngjae’s face- the stunning helplessness, worry and vulnerability there. He reaches up to touch Youngjae’s cheek. “Didn’t I tell your parents not liking me?”

“There is nothing I want more than to not worry, but the moment I start to relax, something shakes that tranquillity.”

“You seemed fine a little while ago when you went to bed. Did something else happen there?”

“My mum came to my room about an hour ago to talk.”

“Oh. What did she say?”

Youngjae chuckles mirthlessly. “That I should stop acting like a selfish and rebellious teen.”

Jaebeom winces. “Ouch.”

“Dinner with my parents earlier didn’t exactly go that well, but I actually dared to hope that maybe… just maybe they liked you a little bit. When mum came to talk to me, she was so upset that I brought you here at all.” Youngjae shakes his head. “I don’t know what to do. I can’t give you up, but I don’t want to make my parents unhappy either.”

Jaebeom takes the wine bottle from Youngjae and puts it aside so that he can hold Youngjae’s hands. “You don’t have to give up anything or anyone. I’ll try my best to make sure you don’t have to. There is still hope, okay? I’m yet to impress your mum with my gardening skills, remember?”

“I’m afraid that there is no impressing them where you are concerned. Perhaps we have to consider the possibility that my parents will ever approve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter