Sickeningly Sweet Chocolates

Black Hair & Chocolate Eyes (You Taste Like Cherries Tonight)

Prom night was always something high school students looked forward to. 

 

For Minjoo, though? She dreaded it.

 

She didn’t find the appeal of going to school in a formal attire to just— what? Dance and party? Definitely not her cup of tea. Her introverted nature thinks it’s better to invest her time in watching her favorite series of a wizard boy inside the comforts of her home than be invited to awkwardly dance. 

 

But she promised that she would come. Promised Chaewon that she would try and promised the girl that she won’t ditch the dance immediately.

 

(

 

“You’d come this time, right?”

 

“I don’t know…”

 

“Please?”

 

“...Stop using those eyes on me.”

 

“Attend it for me, Joo?”

 

“...”

 

“Joo…”

 

“Ugh, fine!”

 

)

 

So, here she was. Giving herself breathing exercises while waiting for her friends just outside their school. She could honestly feel all of the people’s stares as she stood outside with her back leaning on the rails of the school’s front steps. She feels slightly uncomfortable with each glance people take when they pass by. It’s understandable, she guesses. Her attire for tonight wasn’t exactly… the common or usual outfit girls would choose for events like these.

 

“Hey, Mi— holy , you look dapper.” Minjoo finally heard the foul mouth of her best friend. Turning around, she was met with Yuri that was eyeing her up and down. She was wearing a white off-shoulder dress with her brown hair straightened as her bangs were neatly fixed on her forehead. Light makeup and her strong perfume was too much that Minjoo held herself back from grimacing. She wasn’t really fond of those really strong scented perfumes, but hey. Her best friend still looked nice.

 

Minjoo awkwardly laughed, a hand slightly covering her face. “Is it too much? People kept staring at me before going inside…”

 

“Hoe, they’re staring at you because you look too hot in that suit!”

 

“Yuri! Will you stop cursing— oh my god, Kim Minjoo.” Chaeryeong stopped beside Yuri with a hanging jaw. She checked out the girl as she couldn’t believe her eyes. Minjoo scratches the side of her head out of slight embarrassment.

 

You see, Minjoo decided to not attend her junior year prom because the dresses her mom would give her felt uncomfortable to wear. It was either too short for her liking or too tight that it got hard to breathe in them. She just made a lame excuse to her mom saying she feels “sick” and stayed at home throughout the night. She thought it was a good idea to wear a suit this time around as it is more comfortable than the dresses her mom chose. 

 

And she has to admit, she looked really good in one.

 

She was wearing an all black suit. A black button up tucked into her black slacks with a belt. A black, velvety blazer and black heels. Her beige hair was straightened, slightly wavy and disheveled because of the strong night wind. But her friends said she looked more attractive with her hair being like that. Mostly when she ran her hands through it while talking. She also exchanged her circle-rimmed specs to a pair of transparent contacts for tonight. Making it easier for her to see her surroundings clearly and lessen the probability of her breaking her glasses while having fun. To top it all off, she even had a black tie around her neck. 

 

After her friends kept gushing and complementing her, they finally decided it’s time to go inside the school gym. They continued their chatter as they pushed the red doors open. 

 

The loud music from the speakers finally weren’t muffled unlike from being outside. The bass reverberated throughout the room as balloons littered the ground. Tables were neatly set up on the sides with the center of the gym as the dancefloor. The school’s stage had a simple set design with a bunch of instruments and microphones were set on top of it. 

 

It looked nice inside. Minjoo had to give kudos to the person that designed the place to make it fit in the mood of the event.

 

As they weaved through the crowded place, eyes suddenly moved to focus on them. The burning stares suddenly made Minjoo’s nervousness for the night tenfold as she tried to just shrug them off. Talking with her friends as they found a table to hang around for the majority of the night. 

 

A few more minutes passed and Minjoo finally felt herself relax. Her friends tried their best to calm her down by throwing silly jokes and banters around their table. They knew the girl wasn’t really fond of crowds nor did she like the lingering gazes people would always give her. Minjoo is eternally grateful for her friends trying their best to make this experience less intimidating for her.

 

Her friends’ dates also sat with them. Yeojin sat beside Yerim with big smiles and a loud mouth as she was able to match Yuri’s energy and loudness. Ryujin, Chaeryeong and Chaewon—Park—were engaged in a more quiet and reserved conversation. Hyejoo on the other hand, kept pestering Minjoo as her own way of helping the girl with her nerves. It was working out pretty well in her opinion. Minjoo didn’t miss the arm that Hyejoo had around her date. A smirk plastering on her lips as she used it to as payback for the cafeteria fiasco last week.

 

Soon enough, all of them started talking in a chaotic but, in Minjoo’s opinion, calming ambiance at the same time. Throwing around jokes and teases here and there as they all got along together pretty well. Minjoo’s mind suddenly wandered to her two Japanese friends that are still nowhere to be found. She briefly turned her head to look around for the two girls before getting distracted again because Yuri dragged her into another one of their playful banters.

 

This is nice, Minjoo thought as the night was going better than she expected. 

 

“Have you seen Chaewon, Min? I heard she looked like she just came out of a fairytale book. Like she really looks good tonight, I think.” Yuri changed the topic abruptly.

 

“You know, I’m convinced you have a crush on Kim Chaewon now ever since she dyed her hair,” Hyejoo quipped with a chuckle.

 

“Look, I might as well! You have already seen the girl but I’m still baffled you don’t have a reaction to it.” Yuri stared at the gray-eyed girl weirdly as Hyejoo only laughed at her statement.

 

“Yah. Keep it down or else our little foxy here will get jealous.” Hyejoo smirked at her own words. Minjoo narrowed her eyes on the girl before pointing an accusatory finger at her.

 

“Don’t start,” she said with a groan of annoyance. Hyejoo just laughed at her before nodding her head, agreeing to keep the teasing down to a minimum for tonight. 

 

The topic of their conversation changed again. But Minjoo’s mind still lingered on the last one as she couldn’t wait to see how the older girl looked. Now that Yuri mentioned it, she hasn’t seen her all night.

 

Where was she? She thought as her eyes scanned the place. She immediately started looking for a girl with long black hair and sharp caramel eyes. Eyes that she would never mistaken for anyone else. She kept looking for her in the crowd but failed to even see just a glimpse of the girl. That’s when a voice suddenly called from behind her.

 

“Min—” the younger girl heard. The familiar high-pitched voice managed to muffle out the chatter of her friends and the loud music coming from the speakers. It made her immediately twist her body around, the girl she was looking for popped up at a time where she most wanted to see her. 

 

Minjoo felt her breath hitch the moment her dark eyes laid on the older girl.

 

She was wearing a black dress with intricate designs that flowed down to her knees. Her black hair wavy and looked soft to the touch. Her eye makeup made her feline eyes look sharper. A smokey eye shadow above her lids as caramel eyes shone brighter in contrast to the dark palette of her outfit. Minjoo also didn’t miss the black band with small white jewels that adorned the girl’s dark hair.

 

Her damn dark hair.

 

It’s honestly one of the things Minjoo loved the most about Chaewon now. She looked more… gorgeous with this darker shade of hair color. She kind of hopes she doesn’t dye it to any other color anymore.

 

“Joo,” Chaewon breathed out. Feeling absolutely breathless at the sight of Minjoo in a black suit. She physically felt her brain turn into mush as it melted inside her head. Her whole body turned into a statue as she stood frozen on her spot. drying and her lips slightly parting.

 

God, how the is this girl real?

 

Chaewon felt her heartbeat quicken at the speed of light. Her cheeks warmed up as a rosy color spread through her skin. She felt her chest constrict— tightening around her heart as she’s positive that Kim Minjoo would be the death of her. 

 

Minjoo smiled. Her perfectly white teeth were out on display as the simple act charmed its way to Chaewon’s heart.

 

Minjoo slightly moved her chair, trying to stand up to walk over towards a girl when Chaewon felt someone tug her arm. Minjoo could see the girl that approached her with hurried actions. Whispering something to the older girl’s ear as Minjoo pieced together that this was Chaewon’s best friend, Choi Yena. Her duck lips weren’t that hard to miss when it’s her most prominent feature known around the school.

 

Chaewon wanted to scowl because she still had some stuff to do with her friends. Meaning that she has to be separated from Minjoo within another twenty minutes or so. Her sharp eyes sent the younger girl a conflicted look. Silently praying for the girl to still come up to her and yank her away from her friends so they can finally spend some time together.

 

But it’s Minjoo that we are talking about here.

 

The younger girl only gave her a small smile again. A wave of understanding crashed inside her chocolate pools as she made a gesture to the girl that she should go. Chaeown felt slightly disappointed, but she still had some time to approach the younger girl later.

 

With a dejected sigh, Chaewon let Yena drag her farther away from Minjoo.



-



This is the part where Minjoo is slowly becoming desperate to leave.

 

After Chaewon left to venture off with her friends, her own group of friends decided to separate themselves from the group just a couple minutes before Chaewon went out of her sight. They said they wanted some alone time with their dates without Minjoo and her friends arguing with each other every five seconds or so. Yuri didn’t have a date but she said she had to leave because she was gonna meet up with someone.

 

Minjoo had to suffer the most out of all of them because she was the only one without a someone or a date to attend to.

 

Well, what about Hitomi and Nako?

 

Minjoo tried her best not to roll her eyes at the thought of her two Japanese friends. Because apparently and very surprisingly, her two beloved friends were each other's dates for tonight. Both of them arrived at their table, hand in hand. The shorter girl between the two of them smirks slyly at the group before moving to sit down and join them with the other girl in hand.

 

Now, Minjoo was abandoned to fend for herself while they all try to impress their dates. 

 

She was stationed at the table with a bunch of drinks and snacks. Standing quietly there with a red cup as she eyed all the people dancing on the dancefloor. The fruit punch actually tasted fine. Minjoo is surprised that no one has spiked the drink with alcohol yet— which she wishes won’t happen. 

 

The punch left a cherry flavor on her tongue. The almost dark color of red can be mistaken as wine but really it was just a sugary drink. Minjoo liked it very much.

 

She’s honestly enjoying her time just drinking while watching the event unfold in front of her eyes. People were dancing according to the beat of the lively song. Bodies colliding and people laughing and having fun at the center of the dancefloor. 

 

As fun as it is to observe people slowly lose their inhibitions, Minjoo is starting to feel a little bored. 

 

Her eyes started to look around with lethargy. Always checking the time on her wrist watch as she was on the verge of ditching the dance. But a promise she kept to a girl that is nowhere to be seen right now lingers at the back of her mind.

 

Sighing a bit to herself, she wondered where Chaewon went.

 

“Why, hello there.” A voice interrupts Minjoo’s line of thoughts. The deep attractive tone of their voice managed to pull Minjoo’s eyes away from staring blankly up ahead.

 

 A girl with dark eyes checked her out. She was slightly shorter than Minjoo— probably because of the heels she was wearing. Her white dress was flowing down her thighs. Brunette hair framed her face as she gave the lone girl a flirty smile.

 

Then she lightly shook her head, an attempt to shake away some of the brown strands that covered her face. Minjoo couldn’t deny that this girl was quite attractive with how she carried herself with such confidence.

 

“Hi?” Minjoo replied, a little uncertain on what to do. Confused as to why this person is trying to strike a conversation with her. 

 

“Why is a pretty girl like you standing here all alone?” She asked as Minjoo felt like her voice deepened as she talked to her some more. 

 

Minjoo isn’t really that good at keeping a conversation going. Feeling a little awkward as she kept shifting her weight from one foot to another. She was honestly already trying her best to muster up a bad chemistry joke on the top of her head. Recycled from the internet as she found them entertaining to read and share. 

 

“Uh—” before Minjoo could even say anything else, another voice interrupted them. The familiarity of the said voice gave Minjoo a chill down her spine. The coldness of it was something she wasn’t used to hearing when she’s around.

 

“What are you doing with my date, Jeon Heejin?” Chaewon asked with a low hiss. Her hand gripped onto Minjoo’s wrist as she pulled her closer towards her. Minjoo lets her as she stands gaping at the girl. She stared at Chaewon's glaring eyes at the brunette that Minjoo now knows as Heejin.

 

“Just talking,” Heejin replied as her eyes took inquisitive glances at the two girls. She then chuckled, a knowing smirk grew on her lips. “You’re being a very bad date then if you left her hanging on her own by the fruit punch.” Heejin carefully said. Slightly pushing the girl to her limits as she tried to confirm the assumptions she already made about them.

 

Chaewon felt her face flush in anger. She had a frown plastered on her brows now as she was about to say something. Only to shut up the moment she felt Minjoo’s arm wrapping around her waist, squeezing it softly as she tried to stop the girl from blowing up.

 

Chaewon only huffed. Feeling a little sulky and flustered as she felt Minjoo pull her closer to her body. A warm embrace welcomed her as her shoulders hit the spot where Minjoo’s arm met her torso. The older girl only crossed her arms above her chest, trying to hide her annoyance for both Heejin’s flirty and Minjoo’s sudden affection towards her.

 

Heejin’s smirk only widened at the sight of the two girls. Quickly piecing everything together as she acknowledged the two’s relationship. Or lack thereof. 

 

“I now see what you guys are.” Heejin gave them a small wave. “A bunch of lovesick fools. I’ll see you next Monday in English class, Chae.”

 

Minjoo felt her heart skip a beat at the girl’s statement. A warm blush covers her face as Chaewon was nowhere near a better position than her.

 

“By the way, you guys look cute together. Do something about it.” Then Heejin walked away with a satisfied grin.

 

Chaewon’s gonna kill this girl.

 

Before Chaewon could even tackle the brunette down, Minjoo cleared . Removing her hand from her waist to give her head a light pat.

 

“Stop plotting murder and just stay with me here, yeah?” 

 

Chaewon physically deflated. Her lips protrude in an adorable pout as her cheeks were puffed up. Minjoo only chuckled at the older girl’s antics before moving back to get more of the cherry flavored fruit punch. 

 

Chaewon looked with silent eyes. Watching every single move the younger girl made as she felt herself biting her bottom lip in thought. She watched the way Minjoo refilled her red cup carefully. Moving back to standing beside her as she hovered the rim of the cup on her plump lips. Taking it in between them as she took a sip of the red colored fruit punch, her pointy nose slightly bumping the other side of the small opening of the cup.

 

Chaewon felt a sudden adrenaline rushing in her veins. Her whole body started to warm up at the thought that electrified her mind. Her senses heightening as she stared at Minjoo intently.

 

Chaewon wanted to kiss her. So, so bad.

 

She bit her lip harder. She tried her best to hold onto the little self-control she has left. But Minjoo showing up in a dashing, black suit tonight was not helping her case. At all.

 

That’s why she couldn’t help herself but to say something to the younger girl. Her mind seemed to work faster than her body. Didn’t give her time to react properly to what she wants to do nor even plan what she wanted to say.

 

It won’t be that bad to be a little too honest tonight, right? 

 

Tugging on the girl’s blazer sleeve, she quickly got Minjoo’s attention. The younger girl hummed, her dark chocolate orbs looking down at her for a brief while before turning her head back to the dancefloor. The grip she had on her sleeve tightened.

 

"You know, for a self proclaimed nerd..." Chaewon started, a smirk forming on her lips. She let the words hang in the air for a little while. Keeping her lips in a thin line as Minjoo gulped down the liquid in . She gave the girl all her attention, her brows raised in a questioning manner as she slightly tilted her head to the side.

 

Chaewon didn’t say anything. Only staring at the girl with a burning gaze. Minjoo is starting to feel a little hot in her suit. Forcefully tearing her eyes away from the shorter girl as she lifted a finger to hook it inside the collar of her black dress shirt. Pulling on it a bit as an attempt to get rid of the hot, suffocating feeling that is slowly filling her body to the brim. Moving the red cup back to her lips, she slightly regretted taking another sip of the delicious juice with the next set of words Chaewon decided to say.

 

"You look a little too hot to be one."

 

Minjoo nearly spat the red liquid out of in surprise. Lightly choking on it as she gulped it down hurriedly. She immediately coughed a couple of times once the juice was no longer in . She raised her left fist to her chest, hitting it a couple of times as she tried to ease her coughing fit.

 

Chaewon’s smirk broke into a full grin. Giggling at the younger girl as she watched her try her best not to cough her lungs out in the middle of the school’s gym on prom night. Her face flushed in a deep red, a little hard to see under the blue and purple neon lights. But Chaewon always had clearer eyes when they focused on Minjoo. 

 

Minjoo and her soft beige hair. Minjoo and her black circle-rimmed specs. Minjoo and her dark, molten chocolate eyes. 

 

Minjoo.

 

Chaewon felt herself inevitably falling.

 

Deeper and deeper in this endless pit of affection she has for the younger girl.


She’s absolutely and utterly ed.