ssamyen | i'll fall without a parachute

in your orbit

 

note: chapter title is from the lyrics of john k's parachute. no clue why i wrote this and i dont remember most of it. so sorry if its terrible lol

 


 

 

Choi Yena is a bit spontaneous.

 

She would wake Chaewon up in the middle of the night because when else are you supposed to go on an impromptu motorcycle trip if not at 2 am?

 

This time, too, Chaewon lets herself be dragged out of bed at god knows what hour.

 

"C'mon, please." Yena acts cute. She doesn't have to try hard, really.

 

"Fine," Chaewon replies, with all the reluctance she could fake.

 

Leaves rustle under their shoes as they walk towards the rows of seats in the garden.

 

"Do you really need to do it now?"

 

"I want you to hear it first." Yena pouts.

 

Chaewon laughs under her breath.

 

They head to a white gazebo; nothing but the moonlight and two dimly-lit lamps on opposite sides of the tent to accompany them.

 

Yena brings out her phone. The tiny light illuminating her face - gorgeous, filled with uncertainty. Because Yena is free and easy-going. But she's far from fearless. That's why her willingness to take risks is even more endearing to Chaewon.

 

"Hm, where should I start..." She clears , as if trying to shake her nerves away.

 

"At the beginning?" Chaewon laughs at Yena's whiny groan. "Relax, it's just you and me here." She holds out her hand and Yena grabs it, smiles like she means the world.

 

Chaewon feels herself falling all over again. 

 

"I-i didn't believe in love at first sight. But then I met you under the cherry blossoms,

 

Yena laughs and looks up like she's watching the memory somewhere up there.

 

"The petals were falling and you were there standing in front of me. And our eyes met. A-and it was like a scene out of a movie. Mostly because you were just so insanely pretty,

 

Spring, five years ago. Yena looked even prettier with pink petals caught on her hair.

 

"Is that too cheesy?"

 

Chaewon squeezes her hand and wrinkles her nose. "I mean it could be worse,

 

Yena laughs. But her palms are sweaty and Chaewon can't bear to make fun of her for too long.

 

"I don't think you have to worry about being cheesy at this point." Chaewon dips her head a little. There are some things she can't say while looking Yena in the eye. "Isn't that like part of vows?"

 

"Not sure," Yena shrugs, "I've never gotten married before."

 

"Me neither."

 

They both laugh. And Yena's relaxed laughter is more calming than the chirping of crickets into the night. She lets go of Chaewon's hand for just a second to rub her palm dry against her jeans. 

 

Chaewon almost immediately whines but Yena's hand finds hers again before she could.

 

"Where was I again?"

 

"You were talking about cherry blossoms and a movie scene."

 

"Ok, uhm...so as I was saying," Yena looks at her phone again, "I knew from that moment that I was doomed,

 

Her gaze is so tender, so loving that Chaewon would've melted on the spot if it were any other day.

 

"Then I realized it again after our first date. And then after every date after that. But I don't mind being doomed if it means that I'm with you,

 

Yena puffs her cheeks, exhales. 

 

"But it's not because you looked really pretty that one spring day--I mean you did, you always do and it's partly that, but not just because of that. I mean, what was I saying?" 

 

Chaewon chuckles. "It sounds more confusing the more you try to make it clear."

 

"So," Yena scratches the back of her neck and clears again, "what I'm trying to say is that I fell for you not only because you look beautiful but also because you're beautiful in every way there is, in every imaginable way."

 

"And what are the imaginable ways?" Chaewon smirks.

 

Yena lets out an exasperated sigh. "Are you going to be like this tomorrow too?"

 

"Of course not." Chaewon laughs. It's not like she could. "Go on then."

 

"I don't know anyone as kind-hearted, as giving. I don't know anyone I'd rather be with,

 

Chaewon squints, tries to blink back her unshed tears and hopes Yena doesn't take notice.

 

"Your smile is what I want to see first thing in the morning and I want it to be the last thing I see before I fall asleep. Your arms are the ones I want wrapped around my waist as we speed through highways,

 

Chaewon closes her eyes for a second to imagine the feel of Yena's back as she hugs her tight, wind hitting her face, on their countless motorcycle rides.

 

Yena lets go of her hand again so she can hold her phone in both hands. She grins at whatever she has written there.

 

Then she looks up, and at Chaewon. Well, not exactly at Chaewon. "You're the one for me. There's no one else I want to love forever." 

 

The universe has a twisted sense of humor. It really had to make sure that Chaewon would have to listen to Yena's vow twice. And the first time, it allows her to pretend that the sweet words are meant for her.

 

Yena sighs. Chaewon does too, inwardly. 

 

And Yena smiles. And Chaewon does her best to mimic it, even if she feels like sinking into the ground.

 

"Was that okay? It's not too bad? What if she hates it?"

 

"I don't think it matters what you say," Chaewon says, certain of it. "But I think she'll definitely like it."

 

Yena closes her eyes and breathes out slowly. She jumps around and shakes her arms, trying to get rid of every bit of nerves left in her.

 

"Thank you, Chaewon." Yena hugs her. "I love you. I don't know what I would do without you."

 

Chaewon hugs her back. "Me too,

 

Yena tells Chaewon everything first. When she got her first date, when she fell in love, when she knew that she'd met the one. When she knew who she wanted to spend the rest of her life with.

 

Chaewon isn't the one for Yena. Even though she met Yena first; even though she fell for her first, way before that one Spring day where she faded into the background of someone else's story. Because not every first counts.

 

"I love you too," she says, meaning every word of it. Just meaning it differently. She repeats it into Yena's hair, quietly - just a little louder than a whisper. The last time she'll say it and mean it that way.