mintomi | hey stupid, i like you

in your orbit

note: don't know what i was doing here but yeah this is very random. and it's my first time writing for mintomi, go easy on it lol

 


 

 

Hitomi pouts a lot. Maybe more than she's even aware of.

 

Minju thinks it's the most adorable thing in the world. It's the reason why she's been stuck on the same paragraph for the past hour. 

 

She's pouting now, tapping her pen against her lips rhythmically as her eyes fly through the page. Her frown deepens. It must be a difficult problem. She takes a deep breath and starts scribbling on her notebook, her face slowly inching closer to the sheet of paper.

 

Moments later, her hand stills but her eyebrows are still drawn together. It must be a really difficult problem. But Hitomi hates giving up. She leans away but doesn't look away from whatever she has written down. Spinning her pen, she stares at it like she's daring it to give her a harder time.

 

But no problem is too difficult for Hitomi. Not too long after, her frown lines start to fade and her lips stretch into a proud thin smile. 

 

Minju feels her own cheeks rise in spite of herself. She flicks herself once. She didn't go to the library to steal glances at Hitomi. Maybe on regular days. But not this time. This time, she's here to study for midterms and not to watch Hitomi or every tiny change in her expression. 

 

Looking around, the other tables are filled with students with their noses deep in their books and eyes glued to their laptop screens. Minju should try to do the same. Heck, she doesn't have to look far. Hitomi hasn't taken her eyes off her textbook for over...25 minutes. Not that she's been counting, no.

 

Maybe she shouldn't have sat across her. But then again, last week, it was 'maybe I shouldn't have sat next to her'. Maybe, it doesn't matter what she does, where she sits.

 

She flicks herself once more and it gets Hitomi's attention this time. 

 

"You ok?" Hitomi mouths.

 

Minju nods. "Yeah, just kinda having a hard time figuring this one out," she lies. She doesn't even remember what she last read. But she'll figure it out.

 

Or not.

 

Hitomi stands up from her seat and sits next to her. She takes a look at the last page that Minju hasn't taken a peep of.

 

"Oh, this,

 

Hitomi doesn't judge her for how little progress she's made. She just takes her pen and a piece of paper and starts writing down some numbers.

 

"So here, we use synthetic division...

 

Minju turns to her, ready to listen and learn (finally). But Hitomi's short silver hair is distracting. It's a new look that she tried on a whim. Minju hasn't gotten used to it yet. Maybe that's why she's been looking at her more lately. Getting herself used to it. Not like she's been doing it since before, no.

 

"...so that means it's a lower bound."

 

Minju's eyes snap back to attention when she realizes that Hitomi is done talking and is now just staring back at her.

 

"Ah," Minju bobs her head as she whispers a prolonged 'oh'. "I think I get it now." Definitely not.

 

Hitomi gives her a disappointed look. "You didn't listen to a word I said," she says in a deeper voice.

 

Minju wants her to talk more. She likes listening to Hitomi's voice even though the words themselves often drift away from her. 

 

"You're not listening again." Hitomi pouts.

 

Grinning like an idiot is probably not the best response to sulking. "I'm sorry. I'm just a little distracted."

 

"I can tell," Hitomi sighs. "You've been looking at me since a while ago."

 

Minju slowly turns away, trying to hide her face in embarrassment. So much for being stealthy. "And you didn't say a word?" she mumbles.

 

"I didn't know why you were staring."

 

"I wasn't like staring."

 

"Okay, fine. You kept peeking at me," Hitomi grins. "so I thought you wanted to ask something."

 

"Yeah, I wanted to ask how to solve this problem." She points at the first question she sees. 

 

"Uh-huh, so not because you thought I was cute or anything like that?

 

Minju rolls her lips in and shakes her head. 

 

"Ah, I see." Hitomi nods slowly and pouts. She isn't upset or disappointed. She just knows Minju well, too well. She's too weak against that stupid pout.

 

"Fine, maybe that too," Minju stammers, cheeks red hot. "Whatever, I'm going to study now for real." She angles her face away from Hitomi.

 

"Really?"

 

"I'm serious. I won't look at you anymore."

 

"Like never? Never ever?

 

Hitomi almost sounds disappointed. She's probably teasing but Minju can't help but turn to see her expression.

 

"Oh?" A proud, teasing smile is plastered on her face. "I thought you won't look at me anymore?"

 

Minju is a bit hopeless. But maybe she should just get it off her chest. She has embarrassed herself enough anyway. She clears . "I was only looking because I had a question."

 

"What is it?"

 

"Do you like maybe wanna go see a movie this Saturday?" she asks, trying to sound as confident as she could. "After we're done with exams?"

 

"Why do you look so nervous?" Hitomi tries to keep her laughter down. "Did you think I would say no to my girlfriend?"

 

They've started dating but it doesn't feel too real yet. Minju is still getting used to it.

 

"So you're saying yes?"

 

Hitomi just shakes her head a little, gives her the cutest eye-smile. "Maybe if you get through that chapter."

 

Minju scoffs. "You do know that this chapter is a piece of cake for me, right?"

 

She'll get that movie date. Stupid math equations can't stop her.