The Light That Never Went Out

The Light That Never Goes Out
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s quite odd that Jinsol texted that she wanted to meet Chaewon alone in the cafeteria, let alone wanting to meet her. Usually, Chaewon just meets with Jinsol whenever Jiwoo pulls her to join them whenever they hang out. (Chaewon never really felt like she was a fifth wheel whenever she’s with them; Jinsol and Jiwoo cuddle her too much more than their own girlfriends.)

“Sol? Hey.” Chaewon approaches Jinsol sitting by their usual table wearing a very peculiar expression on her face, the kind she wears whenever she asks for food from Chaewon.

“Chaewonnie!” Jinsol envelops her in a tight hug, the tightest one compared to all her cuddles.

“Sol, is there something I did? Am I about to die or something?” 

“No, silly.” Jinsol chuckles.

“Look, I saw you with Hyeju together at my party the other night, by the stairs.” Jinsol starts while she hands Chaewon a carton of milk while Chaewon’s eyebrows meet in confusion.

I’m sure she just saw us talk and all. Yeah, that must be it! 

“And… I saw a cup by my parents’ bed side table.” Jinsol smirks smugly then took a sip from her own milk carton.

Okay, that ain’t it. 

“Look, Chaewon. You can tell me anything. I’m your cool Jinsol!”

“Okay, first of all I’m sorry about the cup. Second, there isn’t anything to tell!” Chaewon avoids Jinsol’s teasing gaze. “We just talked about… stuff and Hyeju brought me home. Nothing happened.” 

“Woah, you spoke more than five words. Relax, Chaewon! I won’t tell, I promise.” Jinsol pulls her pinky out in front of Chaewon, another pinky promise waiting to be locked. Jinsol is indeed one to never break a pinky promise with someone, even when her life depends on it. 

(Chaewon vividly remembers the time when Jinsol did not snitch on her for hiding in the safety of her room while Jungeun and Jiwoo angrily searches for her to drag her out and have dinner; It was the first time she made a pinky promise with Jinsol and she finds her very cool for it.)

“Fine. But if Jungeun finds out about it, tell her she should be pissed at me not you.” Chaewon hooks her pinky on Jinsol’s one and locks the promise in with her thumb.

“Whatever you say.” Jinsoul turns her back to the table to lean on it, her ears still perking up in anticipation of Chaewon’s story.

“There isn’t really much to tell. Hyeju and I are just hanging out. Nothing more.” 

“Okay, fine.” Jinsol rolls her eyes and stands abruptly but in an elegant way. “But if something does happen, don’t hesitate to call me first.” 

“Sure, but I doubt something will happen.” Chaewon looks up to her cool Jinsol stretching her strained back from slouching on the cafeteria stools. 

“Whatever you say. Look who’s here.” Jinsol pouts and points her lips to the direction where Hyeju just entered, wearing a cool leather jacket and boots with just her notebook and pencil on hand like always. Chaewon always finds it hard to breathe whenever she sees Hyeju in her monochromatic glory.

“Have fun, whatever that is.” Jinsol pats her shoulder and leaves at once, opposite Hyeju’s direction. Chaewon was still just looking— staring at Hyeju, when the latter finally finds her and her smile reaches her eyes when it finally meets Chaewon’s.

“Chaewon! There you are.” Hyeju sits beside her and snatches the milk carton from her hand then gulps a quarter of its contents.

“How’d you find me here?”

“Jinsol texted me, though I didn’t need her message. I was about to go here to find you.” Hyeju smiles at her. Chaewon wonders when exactly did it become okay for the both of them to share the same carton of milk?

“How so?” Chaewon scowls, snatching back her supposedly solely owned milk carton.

“You heard me tell Hyunjin, right? I think I found my soulmate.” Hyeju chuckles and finally stands from the cafeteria stool then offers a hand for Chaewon to take.

“Where to, Son Hyeju?”

“Somewhere quiet, I suppose, like you always want.” 

----------------------------------------------------

Hyeju is indeed right about bringing Chaewon to somewhere quiet. Hyeju takes her to a lay-by by the side of the road by a hill of a decent height that overlooks just a neighborhood below. The sun was finally starting to sink, and the city lights were finally taking over and illuminating the city. 

Chaewon was a er for such views. She really likes to look at the colors of the sun setting by the city skyline and it was really a wonder to look at. However, Chaewon really never had the chance to do it ever since she entered university. Her time is always consumed by her never-ending requirements and papers and also, she is a homebody. She would often busy herself with just playing games in her room.

After Hyeju has set up her sound system to play just some mellow songs (Chaewon suddenly hears Bread’s Make It With You, something she didn’t think Hyeju would listen to.), Hyeju pats on the rear of her car facing the overlooking for Chaewon to sit on and she follows and sits beside her right after, with a paper bag on her hand.

“I didn’t know what you like so I got stir-fry.” Hyeju puts out two white tall cups from the paper bag and some chopsticks. “Enjoy.”

Famished, Chaewon hurriedly digs on her own stir-fry noodles and it was suddenly something she finds very delicious considering its greasy nature. Chaewon amusingly looks at the fantastic view in front of them then shoves a mouthful of noodles in .

“I’m glad I bought food. Princess Zelda here is seriously hungry.”

“Gee. Thanks for that, I guess.” Chaewon chuckles. “How did you find this place anyway?”

“I always hang here when I go for a drive. Maybe after losing a ranked match in Apex?” Hyeju settles her untouched cup of stir-fry beside her, seemingly savoring the view in front of her like she hasn't seen it a couple of times than Chaewon did. “I figured I should bring you here. You’re the first.”

“You know, I know now why you always liked quiet places like this. It’s very, very peaceful.” Hyeju leans back, using both of her hands and arms for support. Chaewon suddenly notices Hyeju’s gloom exude in her aura. Something was off, but it wasn't Chaewon’s business anyway. However, it wouldn't hurt to ask, right?

“You know you can trust me, Hyeju.” Chaewon sets aside her half-devoured dinner. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah. It’s just…” Hyeju exhales deeply. “I could use a little peace for a while.” 

No, you don’t know me well. In every little thing, only time will tell . 

The way Hyeju sounded was very new to Chaewon. Chaewon had met Hyeju differently, the latter immediately welcoming her with an approachable and much more cheery tone than today. Chaewon had forgotten that behind all the geeky bets and boomer taste in music, Hyeju does have a life outside it. Like her, she attends classes, do anything that floats her boat. It seems like today, Hyeju did want to rest a bit, and Chaewon was honored to have been pulled along by her.

But you believe the things that I do, and we’ll see it through.

“You know what my mom always says?” Chaewon grabs her cup of stir-fry and tries to get a spoonful with her chopsticks. 

“What?” Hyeju finally directs her attention to Chaewon with an amused expression. Suddenly, Chaewon lunges her pair of chopsticks to Hyeju’s mouth, shoving the spoonful of stir-fry to .

“Eating always makes people happy without fail.” Chaewon sees Hyeju scowl at her with full, making her chuckle. “You should eat. It’s no fair I’m the only one enjoying this delicious stir-fry.” 

“You didn’t have to shove some in my mouth!” Hyeju jabs a finger to Chaewon’s waist. Then, she finally opens her own dinner served in a cup. “Thank you.”

Life can be short or long, Love can be right or wrong.

Though Chaewon only knew Hyeju for only quite some time, it feels like she could tell her everything now. From what she ate just this morning, to how her day went and ended. Chaewon does hope Hyeju thinks the same too. However, Chaewon does respect it if Hyeju doesn’t want to tell her anything. They weren’t supposed to be emotionally attached to each other in the first place.

However, it wasn’t the kisses alone that kept on pulling Chaewon to the inevitable abyss named Son Hyeju. It was also all of these, the car rides, the comfortable silences, the shared laughs and teases. Chaewon wanted to give the benefit of the doubt, that they were just doing this for fun, nothing more and nothing less. However, no matter how much she won’t admit it, she feels like she was already growing attached to Hyeju.

With these thoughts in mind, Chaewon thinks Hyeju was indeed right. They both could use a little peace right now. Maybe both of their minds were too clouded with negative thoughts, Hyeju thinking about something far more important, then Chaewon sorting out her own feelings.

And if I chose the one I’d like to help me through,

“We should do this every time, Chaewon.” Hyeju smiles as she plays with the contents of her takeout. “It’s really nice to do it with you.”

Chaewon was suddenly taken aback by Hyeju’s suggestion. To think that Hyeju wanted to do things this wholesome with her suddenly made her very much dizzy. Chaewon didn’t think it would be this dangerous. However, this was the leap of faith she took the very moment her lips laid upon Hyeju’s drunk ones. 

“Yes, I think we should.”

“Promise?” Hyeju offers her pinky for Chaewon to seal the deal. Chaewon wanted to melt right then and there; Pink promises were very important to her, as well.

Chaewon suddenly finds Hyeju’s eyes staring at her own, not dark but much softer, the sun’s orange making her eyes reflect the warmth within. Then, she finally hooks her pinky on Hyeju’s then locking the promise by letting their thumbs touch.

I’d like to make it with you.

“Promise.”

----------------------------------------------------

“That was the most draining lecture I have ever attended.” Heejin whined as soon as they stepped out of their Literature class. Chaewon can’t really blame her for whining like that, they just spent three whole hours sitting in the middle of the session hall, listening to their professors and answering different exercises from time to time.

“When did literature become this hard to learn?” Hyunjin grabs Heejin’s bag from her shoulder then slung it on her own. Chaewon could only scowl at Hyunjin’s “chivalry”. So much for being the girlfriend of Jeon Heejin.

“Because you don’t study hard enough, doofus!” Heejin pushes Hyunjin’s shoulder then laughter from the three of them suddenly bursts through the hallway.

Suddenly, Chaewon felt her phone vibrate on her back pocket.

[SHJ]:

Hey, princess. Egg toast and sweet tea? 

Chaewon stopped her tracks and just stared at the invite she received. Ever since the day she watched the sunset glow over the beautiful skyline of the city, Chaewon has been nothing but awkward around Hyeju. Chaewon can’t seem to function properly anymore whenever Hyeju was near her and it started to bother Chaewon very much. Before things got too much for Chaewon, she decided that she should focus on other things first.  Maybe that way, she could let her mind wander off from the thought of Hyeju.

However, Chaewon doesn’t know why she was suddenly reluctant to accept Hyeju’s invite. Half of her wants to just decline and go the way how lowkey they should be by not going out much often, but the other half just urges her to accept the invite because she does enjoy the company of Hyeju, but she fears they might have been crossing the line from hanging with each other too much.

“Chaewon, want to tag with us for a quick snack before you go home?” Hyunjin asks, both her and Heejin looking back over their shoulders to Chaewon, who didn’t notice that she was lagging behind a bit.

“Sure, just give me a sec.”

[PCW]:

Sorry, maybe some other time. Busy with school this week. :( 

“Let’s go, Chaewonnie.” Heejin pulls her with a smile and puts her in the middle of her and Hyunjin. Chaewon just smiles and places her phone back to her pocket.

(2 unread messages.) 

[SHJ]:

Oh, okay. Good luck! :) 

[SHJ]:

(deleted message.) 

----------------------------------------------------

[SHJ]:

Hey! Been craving for fries and milkshake this week. I remembered you.  

[SHJ]: 

I’ll pick you up? My treat. 

[PCW]:

I’m sorry, Hyeju. I already had dinner. Maybe some other time. 

[SHJ]:

No worries. I hope you ate well. :) 

(1 unread message.) 

[SHJ]:

(deleted message.) 

----------------------------------------------------

(4 unread messages.) 

[SHJ]:

Jiwoo told me you have not been coming out of your room. 

[SHJ]:

Just checking up on you. 

[SHJ]:

(deleted message.) 

[SHJ]:

I hope you’re doing well. 

----------------------------------------------------

(4 unread messages.) 

[SHJ]:

Heard Bette Davis’ Eyes in the radio a while ago. It really reminds me of you. (Maybe because of your eyes haha) 

[SHJ]:

But, this song reminds me of you more. I don’t know if it counts because it’s synth-pop but 

[SHJ]:

Yeah. Hope you’re doing well. 

[SHJ]:

(link sent: The Promise - When In Rome.) 

----------------------------------------------------

Chaewon’s steps grew heavier as she approaches the entrance of the cafeteria, after being invited by Jungeun to hang for a bit since they have not been meeting that much anymore since Chaewon was back to just going straight home after class. Chaewon knows she was about to inevitably face the one she has been avoiding to meet these days, anyway. She just knows Hyeju will be one of the girls sitting at their usual spot in the cafeteria.

Chaewon knew she was right as soon as she saw Jiwoo waves at her excitedly while Jungeun smiled widely at Chaewon, then Jinsol and Sooyoung looked at her with calm smiles on their faces, and beside Jiwoo was Hyeju, whose expression was a bit unreadable but Chaewon only glanced at her quickly then proceeded to sit beside Jinsol. 

“Sorry for being late. My professor made us stay for a couple of minutes more.” Chaewon sits idly beside Jinsol, avoiding eye contact with Hyeju who was just across her. Here comes Chaewon’s stomach again, twisting and turning with Hyeju’s presence alone.

“Oh, it’s alright. Hyeju just arrived as well.” Jiwoo ruffles Hyeju’s hair making her hiss in annoyance.

“Jiwoo!” Hyeju scowls, fixing her hair immediately.

It was an awkward yarrangement for the both of them, with Jinsol beside her then Hyeju across her with Jiwoo beside her. It was like an interrogation scene straight out of a crime movie. 

As time went by, Chaewon and Hyeju just sat there and listened in silence while the rest of them chatted the afternoon away, venting their frustrations on everything that stressed them the past week.

However, Chaewon can’t even listen properly to Jinsol letting out her frustration when she suddenly caught a glimpse of Hyeju with a lazy and tired look on her face. 

Hyeju won’t even bat an eye to her direction, and Chaewon understands because they were in front of the people they were afraid of telling the whole truth. Chaewon wants to believe that was really the reason why Hyeju was not sparing her a glance. However, a part of Chaewon feels that Hyeju has been tired of putting up with Chaewon’s excuses and reasons why she had been dismissing her messages and invites. Chaewon wants to talk and apologize to Hyeju and say everything is alright, but she is going to lie to her face if she says that.

“We really deserve a time off, huh?” Jungeun sighs, leaning against Jinsol’s shoulder. “This is driving me nuts.” 

“For real, we don’t even get together like this anymore. I don't even see Hyeju that much, who lives in the same apartment as me, mind you!” Sooyoung pouts at Hyeju who just chuckles.

Meanwhile, Chaewon stiffens in her seat, partly because she knows one of the reasons why even Sooyoung doesn’t see Hyeju around anymore is because she always go out for a drive with her. (Well, not anymore.)

“I’ll be throwing another party again tomorrow night, then. Let’s have some fun after this stressful week!” Jinsol throws her fist into the air then Jungeun elbows her stomach, making her flinch in pain.

“Another party? Let’s just have a get together. I know a bar near our apartment. We could go there.” Jungeun suggests.

“That sounds cool. Hyeju, Chaewon, you’re included! No buts!” Jiwoo points a finger at Chaewon then to Hyeju, moving it back and forth towards their direction. Chaewon was surprised at their sudden plan but then she saw Hyeju just nod without hesitation.

Chaewon knows she wouldn’t like where it was going. Considering the amount of awkward tension between both her and Hyeju, and the fact that alcohol would be included again with the big of a secret they are both afraid to let out. Chaewon is so sure that it would be just a whole night of stealing glances from each other and not even enough talking will take place, maybe the both of them just aiding the soon-to-be-faced Jinsol and Jiwoo. Chaewon doesn’t really know how she’ll live through their get-together.

Chaewon exhales deeply, trying to gather herself who was all over the place this past few weeks. Chaewon is usually much more composed than her state right now. It was like she was currently walking in so much eggshells ever since this secret was unwittingly conceived.

“I need to go.” Chaewon stands up from the table, gathering her things to her arms. “I have a paper due tomorrow.” 

“Oh? Don’t you want to have dinner with us first before you go? We’ll be riding Hyeju’s car.” Sooyoung asks while all eyes are on Chaewon, including Hyeju’s. However, Chaewon could only look at Sooyoung, the only person she could actually look at right now, measuring her faults towards the rest of the girls surrounding her right now. 

“Thank you for the invite but I’m sorry, really. I’ll just have ramen or something.” Chaewon stood firm to her dismissal. Hyeju’s car was the last thing Chaewon actually wanted to be in.

“Nonsense! We’ll just order takeout for you, then!” Jinsol suggested with her gleaming eyes. “Right, Hyeju?”

“Yeah. Uhh, sure. Why not?” Hyeju could only smile weakly at Chaewon. Chaewon wanted to scream right then and there.

“Thank you.” Chaewon quickly bids adieu then walks away from their table with a heavy heart while Jiwoo, in her caffeine-infused energetic facade, wishes her to get home safely. 

Another lame excuse from Chaewon, and not just to Hyeju, but also to the people she doesn’t want to let down. However, Chaewon knows it was for the best. She was feeling all over the place and maybe the time away from them can help her compose herself before their get-together the very next day.

----------------------------------------------------

Chaewon stands in front of the very much alive bar, with lit up neon letters and through the window, filled with people just having their own conversations in groups or pairs, or even lone patrons just by the booth of the bartenders. 

This situation was all too familiar for Chaewon, Jiwoo not even picking her up again from the university, letting her walk while the sun sinks and the night takes over the sky. However, Chaewon does understand and maybe, she wanted it that way, having to buy more time to be away from the company of her friends. Seeing them alone was already too guilt-inducing for her but she also thinks that maybe in this mini get-together, she can make it up to them, especially to Hyeju. 

Chaewon silently mutters to herself some sort of motivation to finally step right in the bar. She could honestly use some motivation right now from Jiwoo to maybe treat her another game for her switch so she could easily just barge right in the room just twenty steps away from the door and take on the night. However, this decision was in Chaewon’s hands and she does not dare to let her friends down.

After her hundredth sigh, Chaewon finally steps inside the bar, shaking the cold of her arms then finally approaches the wide, spacious room Jinsol rented, where all of them were supposed to hang for the next couple of hours, two bottles of soju already opened while tall mugs of sweet-tasting beer from the tap already laid in front of them.

“Hey! We were waiting for you!” Jiwoo pulls her to sit, a tall mug on hand. “I’m sorry I didn’t pick you up, again.”

“It’s alright. I had to do something in school, anyway.” Chaewon greets all of them with a small bow, including Hyeju, without having to look at her eyes.

“Drink! Don’t be like Hyeju, the coward one she is with just a cider on hand.” Before she knew it, Jinsol was already pouring her a mug of a mix of soju and beer, filling it just a quarter full for Chaewon. Chaewon just takes it, not wanting to break Jinsol’s heart much further.

“Designated driver, sorry.” Hyeju says before taking a sip from her own can of cider.

“Oh, boo-hoo. Sooyoung can drive drunk so why can’t you? Right, Soo?” Jiwoo places her arm around Sooyoung’s shoulder.

“Let Hyeju be, Jiwoo. She’s a loser.” Jungeun laughs at Hyeju rolling her eyes at their teasing.

“Calling her a loser when she’s the one who’s going to drive your drunk asses back home?” Sooyoung scoffs, wearing a smirk on her face.

“Oi, it’s because drunk or not, Hyeju is the better driver than Sooyoung.” Jinsol almost spills her own mug of so-maek when she dodges Sooyoung’s attempt to slap her, then the whole booth suddenly erupts with laughter.

Chaewon felt so light-hearted after hearing them laugh. She had never heard them laugh like this ever since she met them. Though almost drunk, maybe tipsy, Chaewon would love to hear more conversations and live through moments like these with them. Maybe Chaewon should consider going out of her cave once in a while. It has also been a while since, from the farthest side of the booth, she catches Hyeju with a satisfied smile on her face. Chaewon wouldn’t admit it but she does miss this side of Hyeju.

The night was still very young and Chaewon surely would love to hear more stories from the girls. She hopes— prays, that after this, everything will be alright, that she would live through this night of supposed agony, that through it, Hyeju would finally look at her direction and let bygones be bygones. It would be that easy, right?

----------------------------------------------------

After many bottles, academic rants and debates, emotional speeches, and spilled droplets of alcohol from Jiwoo’s clumsy and very energetic soul, Chaewon finally had enough. As far as she could recall the last time she got drunk, she only had two cups of strong alcohol and the company of Son Hyeju, but now, she was just drunk, without even feeling the presence of the only person she looks forward to talking to at the other side of the room.

It was like a game, every frustrated sigh Chaewon lets out, she punishes herself with a gulp from her tall mug. Chaewon never had this much alcohol before and she did realize it after she felt her surroundings spin much more, the loud voices of Jiwoo and Jungeun becoming inaudible and h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter