Electro Pop.

The Light That Never Goes Out
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaewon tightens her coat around her, very aggravated that she had to walk five kilometers to a place she doesn’t even fancy to go to in the first place just because Jiwoo won’t even pick her up due to her “errands”.

If it weren’t for Jiwoo bribing her with another game she has been wanting to play on her newly bought Nintendo Switch, she would have been just wrapped around the comfort of her blanket and just indulging her time to rest.

However, before she could even turn back, she didn’t even notice she had finally arrived at the address Jiwoo texted her which she barely even read because the letters were all over the place.

Chaewon gulps as the window panes of the big mansion before her glow and the boosted bass ring on her ear, then over her petite and fragile physique.

Chaewon was never one to party. Even with just small crowds, Chaewon doesn’t even bother to actively participate in these kinds of activities. However, when one does have a roommate like Jiwoo, also known as the peak MBTI extrovert, one indeed can’t simply avoid having to attend parties like this. It’s just fate (or a curse maybe?) that it was Chaewon who she became roommates with.

Chaewon knows Jiwoo was just trying to hook her up with some people who potentially can be Chaewon’s friends. However, Chaewon just prefers being alone or just simply tagging along Jiwoo’s other friends who also already became her friends as well.

Chaewon breathes deeply as she prepares to enter the mansion, having to embrace the possible mishaps she may experience, or even death because she knows her weak body may not be able to handle it.

“For Zelda.” Chaewon whispers under her breath before she walks to the door and finally opens it.

Chaewon was met with bright lights filling the room from the threshold of the door to the living that could fit dozens of people, people standing around in pairs or in groups clad in a much more edgy style than her woolen yellow sweater, faded jeans, and pair of worn out sneakers. The sound of the fancy sound system blasts around the room, too loud for Chaewon’s liking.

Chaewon tries to scan each face surrounding her, hoping to find the one who invited her to attend the godforsaken party and just tell her she got sick and she needs to go home now. 

However, when she looked around the corner of the room by the couch, she saw two girls fooling around which weirded her out at first, but recognized they were Jiwoo’s friends, Jinsol and Jungeun all along. (Chaewon definitely has seen more than what they were just doing, and it was not a very pleasant image to remember.)

Chaewon was just about to walk away when Jinsol suddenly noticed her despite the room being a little but dark for her to be noticed.

“Park Chaewon!” Jinsol’s voice booms around the room making Chaewon wince in pain. 

Now the whole world knows about Park Chaewon.  

Chaewon waves back to Jinsol awkwardly, walking towards them timidly.

“Oh! You’re finally here! Wait, let me look for Jiwoo.” Jungeun untangles herself from Jinsol’s arms before disappearing through the crowd. Jinsol pulls Chaewon to sit beside her and Chaewon does, squeezing herself on the edge of the couch in embarrassment.

“So, how are you liking it so far? I had to rent out strobe lights. Jungie says it’s too much but I don’t really think so.” Jinsol’s eyes scan through the strobe lights Chaewon thought were too blinding.

“Jungeun was right, Sol. Wait— Is this your party? Jiwoo didn’t tell me.” Chaewon’s voice falters halfway, not being able to hide the guilt in her eyes. “Is it your birthday? I didn’t get you anything. I’m sorry—”

“Chaewon, stop apologizing! It’s okay. It’s not my birthday. I just felt like throwing a party.” Jinsol leans back and drapes her arm freely on the headrest of the couch between the both of them.

Moments after, Jungeun finally arrives, still with no Jiwoo in sight. Chaewon was now getting too anxious to go through the night in this party, thanks to the very large number of people still gathering like the night is still young. 

With two red cups on hand, Jungeun hands Chaewon one. Chaewon looks inside, a fruit-punch colored liquid filling quarter of a cup. Chaewon thinks as long as it is not something that could get her to do things she shouldn’t, it’s okay. The liquid seems to be safe enough to drink.

“I’m sorry, Chaewon. I couldn’t find Jiwoo. I’m sure she’s around here somewhere.” Jungeun looks around the crowd for the last time before Chaewon just grips her arm with a smile on her face.

“It’s okay, Jungeun. I can manage, I’m sure.” Chaewon just smiles and takes a sip from her cup. The drink tasted sweet, much like the taste of pomelo with a hint of a carbonated feel down . It was something she hasn’t tasted yet but she’s sure it’s just a new mocktail that she isn’t aware of. Besides, people around her are carrying the same cup as her and they still look okay to her.

Suddenly, Chaewon sees two girls squeezing through the crowd in the middle of the room, approaching them in a hasty manner. 

“Aaaand you’re an eternity late. I thought we agreed you’ll arrive early?” Jinsol crosses her arms by her chest.

Chaewon eyes the two girls still panting, trying to catch their breath from their race against time.

“Well…” The girl clad in a denim jacket starts. “This dummy’s car broke down when we were just already three blocks away.”

“I couldn’t leave my car! It’s my car!” The girl in the oversized comfortable black hoodie, her companion, counters.

“Gosh, Hyeju! You could go back for it when the party is already over! Look, they almost ran out of whiskey.” 

“Okay enough, both of you.” Jungeun pinches the bridge of her nose. “What’s important is you’re already here and we have guests so act decent or I’ll throw you out of here.”

With her lips still by the mouth of the cup, biting it gently in an attempt to hide half of her face inside the cup, Chaewon timidly sits on the couch while the two in front of them continue to spat out words they surely don’t mean to each other. However, Chaewon couldn’t care less because she was suddenly busy staring at the girl wearing the black hoodie. 

Her style was a lot like Chaewon’s right now, with a comfortable pair of sneakers and ankle length jeans to go with her dark hoodie. Their style was almost the same, however, the color contrasted the way that the girl’s personality and physical appearance complemented her fashion sense.

Having to notice that she was staring at the girl for too long now, Chaewon takes another sip, but a longer one which almost emptied her cup. Chaewon just bites the mouth of her cup, her eyes scanning the girl in the black hoodie from head to toe until she reaches her eyes. It was dark and hooded, the opposite of her round and big ones.

Finally the argument subsides and just in time, Chaewon just finished her drink. Chaewon finally takes her bite off and looks at the cup, seeing a drop rolling on the bottom of the cup.

“Chaewon! I’d like you to meet these two idiots.” Jungeun pulls Chaewon to stand and she takes a step back gently, getting frightened by the towering height the girl in the black hoodie has.

“Hello, I’m Hyunjin!” The girl clad in a denim jacket offers her hand to Chaewon. “We take the same literature class, right?” 

“Yes, we do.” Chaewon replies, trying to power her voice through the loud music.

“You’re so cute! You speak in tiny font.” Hyunjin giggles as she smiles widely. Chaewon suddenly finds herself smiling back as wide as her. There was something in her smile that was indeed contagious.

“Hyunjin, would you stop teasing someone for once?” Jungeun rolls her eyes as Jinsol just laughs behind her.

Just as Chaewon was anticipating the girl in the black hoodie to introduce herself to her, Chaewon takes a step back in surprise as the girl takes her cup from her grip and just smiles at her gently.

“I’m Hyeju. And you ran out of something to drink already. I’ll be back.” Hyeju bids her goodbye and disappears once again in the crowd.

“Don’t mind her. She’s always like that. Grumpy two-shoes.” Hyunjin rolls her eyes and pulls her to join her on the couch while Jinsol and Jungeun take their turn in standing up.

“We’re just gonna go around to check if everything’s okay. Chaewon, stay here with Hyunjin alright? We trust her, it’s okay.” Jinsol winks at Chaewon before she pulls Jungeun by her hand. 

“See you later, Chaewon! Hyunjin, don’t do anything stupid to Chaewon!” Jungeun shouts for the last time before disappearing to the other side of the room.

“I won’t!” Hyunjin rolls her eyes then turns to Chaewon. “How come I just saw you the first time at parties like this?” Hyunjin asks, placing her chin on her palm and directs her curious eyes towards Chaewon.

“Oh, I’m not great with parties.” Chaewon barely speaks through the deafening synth of Depeche Mode’s Just Can’t Get Enough blasting through the sound system, earning a wave of cheers from the crowd. Chaewon guesses they were fans of the song.

Chaewon does listen to a lot of 80s and 90s music. However, she was not really the one to enjoy songs of 80s electro pop. Maybe A-ha and Spandau Ballet are exceptions, but she mostly listens to the likes of The Smiths, Tears for Fears, maybe some Blondie, while she hangs in her room most of the time.

So far, with the choice of songs and the company of Hyunjin, she thinks the party is a quarter better than before. Still a small percentage, she knows.

“Then, welcome to your first party!” Hyunjin claps her hand happily then envelops Chaewon into a tight hug.

“And you talk at least five words but I love you already!” Hyunjin envelops her in a hug again with a wide smile which Chaewon returns. 

However, Hyunjin’s embrace was broken when she saw someone emerging from the crowd, the same girl Chaewon had been eyeing a while ago, now with two cups on hand and one being bitten in an attempt to hold three cups at once.

“You dumb bugger! You’re really trying to get yourself hurt, huh?” Hyunjin helps her immediately by taking a cup from her hand and sipping on it immediately, chugging most of its contents. Chaewon follows and stands up from the couch.

“Sorry. Three drinks are better than two for us right?” Hyeju hands Chaewon her drink, which made her cheeks warm up a bit.

“Thanks.” Chaewon takes a big gulp from her cup to soothe her perched throat from getting too overwhelmed with the party.

“Did you request this song? I know you did.” Hyunjin asks Hyeju who just shrugs in response.

“I knew it! You’ve played it for a hundred times already this morning.” Hyunjin jabs a finger on Hyeju’s shoulder.

“One could never go wrong with 80s electro pop. Never could go wrong with Depeche Mode.” Hyeju smirks then she takes an enormous sip from her fruit punch.

Chaewon knows she’s not a fan of the new wave, but why does she suddenly agree with what Hyeju said? One could really never go wrong with that serotonin-inducing song that does send Chaewon dancing by herself in the comfort of her own room, a guilty pleasure song of her own. 

No! Chaewon knows she’s not a fan of 80s electropop, and it would stay that way but why did one opinion from Hyeju suddenly change her mind?

Chaewon silently gulps down from her own cup of fruit punch beside them. She doesn’t know why she’s feeling stressed out with just a small thing. Maybe because it was a matter of her music taste, something she really cared for. 

Chaewon takes this as a sign. Maybe, it was the time for her to finally socialize. They were indeed almost the same age, younger than a year, and Chaewon suddenly realizes that it is indeed the time for her to make new friends.

“I listen to Duran Duran, if that helps.” Chaewon sees Hyeju turn to her with a wide smile on her face.

“Name one song besides Ordinary World.”

“I— uh… Hungry Like The Wolf?” Chaewon remembers hearing that song for the first time on the radio. It took her a while to find the song from her mom’s CDs.

“Hyunjin, I think I found my soulmate.” 

“Oh, off with your boomer tastes in music!” Hyunjin shouts but still not loud enough to attract a couple of people. “I’m gonna look for Heejin. Don’t do anything stupid to Chaewon.” Hyunjin rolls her eyes and walks to the back, into a sliding door leading out.

Chaewon was suddenly reluctant whether to just walk away from Hyeju and make a lame excuse or just talk to her because it was what she wanted to do in the first place. However, with Hyeju suddenly beside her just also observing the party, she knew that Hyeju was just like her. Someone far from the main scene and just at the corner, observing with a smile on her face.

Hyeju’s appearance was a bit intimidating at first sight, with her hooded eyes and her dark colored hair complementing the eyeliner she was wearing. However, when she saw Hyeju smile for the first time, she realized maybe Hyeju was right. Maybe she found her soulmate all along.

Chaewon’s sight suddenly started to move even though she wasn't moving, it was spinning carefully and her head was also spinning along with it. Chaewon, then, looks over in her cup and looks at its contents, it was still the same as the fruit punch she did drink right? Did they put some sort of special sugar in the drink? Did Hyeju?

Chaewon’s legs were suddenly turning into jelly but she got a hold of herself, leaning her legs carefully by the couch for support.

Then it finally hit Chaewon. What she was drinking was not fruit punch, of course. Who would serve fruit punch at a college party?

Chaewon did already experience drinking alcohol already, and it was a very bad experience. It was when Jiwoo smuggled two bottles of soju into their shared apartment because she “just wanted to” and maybe because it was a Friday night. Chaewon tapped out with three shots, Jiwoo passed out a bottle later. Chaewon was indeed lightheaded.

“How come I don’t see you whenever I see Jiwoo?” Hyeju asks, her head tilted slightly while waiting for Chaewon’s response.

“I always just lounge around my room. I like video games. That’s why I’m here, actually.” Chaewon closed as soon as possible with an embarrassed look in her eyes. This alcohol does not really help her socialize at all. Now, maybe all Hyeju thinks of her was she is a gamer weirdo who just let herself rot in her own room with a Nintendo Switch on hand playing—

“Really? I love video games too.” Hyeju smiles gently. “Let me guess… Did Jiwoo bribe you to attend this party?” There was this look in Hyeju's eyes that comforted Chaewon in some way. Chaewon was relieved that Hyeju didn’t think of her like she thought of herself.

“I can’t resist Zelda.” Chaewon drinks some more from her cup, the taste of the formerly-known fruit punch getting tastier as Chaewon’s head spins a little bit more.

“Jiwoo’s smart for that then.” Hyeju chuckles then she takes her sip from her own cup. 

Chaewon finds herself looking at Hyeju again. She admires her sharp features that softens whenever she smiles and damn, she really thought Hyeju was the grumpy girl Hyunjin makes her out to be, but how come this Hyeju in front of her did nothing but just make her comfortable?

Chaewon knows the alcohol was finally starting to actually spread through her system. Hyunjin did mention something about whiskey a while ago. 

Is that what they put in this drink? Just how much do they put in it?! 

Chaewon should find Jiwoo soon. No one’s to take her home but her.

“Hey, your eyes.” Chaewon slurs her words while she points at Hyeju’s eyes. “Your… eyes.”

“What about it?” Hyeju's lips curl up into a smile again.

“‘I— Ahh… Nothing!” Chaewon turns her eyes away from her while her cheeks turn red.

Chaewon was suddenly feeling hot in her yellow sweater and the overwhelming number of people inside Jinsol’s big mansion wasn’t helping at all. Chaewon rolls up the sleeves of her sweater then fixes herself up with another sip from her cup and it is now empty. 

“It’s hot in here, isn’t it?” Chaewon huffs as she feels her cheeks warm up.

“I feel fine. Are you okay?” Hyeju places her palm on top of Chaewon’s forehead as Drive by The Cars suddenly plays in the background. The synth of the song suddenly enters Chaewon’s head and makes everything so blurry and wavy. Chaewon curses on 80s electro pop and blames her lighthead for being this messed up in front of Hyeju with just two cups of fruit punch colored whiskey cocktail.

All that Chaewon could do now was just look at Hyeju’s eyes who was also looking back at her and she hoped Hyeju didn’t look back at her because she just can’t seem to take her eyes off of her. 

Who’s gonna drive you home tonight?

“Let’s go somewhere quiet, Hyeju.”

----------------------------------------------------

The next thing Chaewon knew was she was following Hyeju through the crowd, squeezing herself in between the people she doesn’t know while she lets Hyeju hold on to her arm for her dear life. It was already three hours past midnight and the party wasn’t really dying down anytime soon for the reason that it was already a Saturday.

Chaewon’s head was already spinning before they reached the stairs and all she could see now was the back of Hyeju’s head and her hand tight on her forearm. 

Chaewon finally knows that all that it takes for her to make friends that easily was alcohol. The liquid courage it gave her suddenly got her someone who was willing to accompany her through the night even though she just barely even met the person only for five whole minutes while she pretends to like a music genre she always skipped in her playlist.

They finally arrive at a room with cream colored wallpaper, a cozy ambiance, and a king-sized bed in the middle that sends Chaewon much calmer than she was moments ago. Being away from flashing lights, overcrowded living room, and boosted bass did help reduce the spinning of her head. 

However, Chaewon was with this girl she just met moments ago and the only thing she is sure of is that Hyeju isn’t a murderer, given that she and Jiwoo, the least likely to kill a bug, are friends.

“Never knew Jinsol has a room this big.” Chaewon tries to step in the room slowly, still getting a hang on her spinning sight.

“I’m sorry I think I brought you to the wrong room.” Hyeju chuckles and places her cup down the side table by the bed. “I think… this is her parents’ room.” 

“No . It’s sooooooo big.” Chaewon spreads her arms in the air while Hyeju just watches her from behind. Chaewon hasn’t been this noisy around someone and the alcohol sure proved her theory that her quirky side still lives within her.

“You should sit down. You looked so red a while ago.” Hyeju leads her to the bed and lets her sit down to calm her nerves down.

“Not if you sit with me. This is Jinsol’s parents’ bedroom. We’re in this together in this crime.” Chaewon winks at her while she gestures for Hyeju to follow her and Hyeju obliges with a click of tongue.

They sit idly by the foot of the bed as they hear a song muffle through the semi-thick walls of the room. Chaewon couldn’t recognize the song, but she’s sure it’s from the 80s. She just wasn't in the state to remember such songs she just heard on the radio. The walls weren’t too thick to block out the sound from outside so it wasn’t that quiet in the room either.

“Are you lightheaded?” Hyeju asks, breaking the silence. 

“N-No! I mean, yeah, I do get drunk with the first couple of shots.” Chaewon tries to look away Hyeju’s piercing stare at the side of her head.

“That’s what being lightheaded means.” Hyeju chuckles while the weight on the bed suddenly shifts to beside her.

“Hey! I had a few drinks with Jiwoo last time and I didn’t really get drunk.” 

“You really don’t like parties, do you?” Hyeju asks and Chaewon nods in response. There’s no really use in lying when you’re already all alone with someone you just met.

“That’s why Jiwoo bribed you, huh?” Then another nod from Chaewon again. The silence around them gets thicker as the music blares against the walls of the mansion, the cheers from outside of the room growing louder as the night was not growing any younger.

Hyeju should have been there outside with Hyunjin, drinking her guts out and having to nurse a hangover the following day, maybe having someone to go home with but here she was beside Chaewon and she does feel guilty for spoiling such an amazing night for Hyeju. 

“You should go back. I think I just spoiled your mood to party.”

“No, no. Don’t think that! It’s okay. Parties are forever but meeting a Zelda addict is not.” Hyeju nudges Chaewon’s arm, putting a smile on Chaewon’s once pouting face.

“I’m sorry. It’s just that I just got a Switch and I would like to buy another game and Jiwoo just so happened to have bribed me.”

“Oh, cool! Me too! I mean… I have a Switch too.” Hyeju’s eyes suddenly lit up with the mention of the console. “Do you want to be gaming buddies?”

Chaewon never thought Hyeju was one to get all geeked out with video games and the like. It baffles Chaewon how Hyeju, despite the edgy style and sharp features she possesses, can still look like a kid in a candy store with the mention of video games.

“Sure. Animal Crossing?”

“Yeah!” Hyeju whips her phone out her pocket.

“If you don’t mind me getting your number? You know, once I get a hold of my Switch.” Hyeju offers her phone for Chaewon to type her number. Chaewon accepts, taking Hyeju’s phone and punching in her number.

“I didn’t take you for one to like video games.” Chaewon says as Hyeju types in possibly Chaewon’s contact name.

“I don’t look like it, no?”

Chaewon nods in agreement. “Yes. You look like someone that likes Guns N’ Roses instead of Depeche Mode. Get it?”

“Yeah, yeah. I get you.” Hyeju chuckles at Chaewon’s weird metaphor. “They do tell me I look more mature for my age. I’m a year younger than Hyunjin, a freshman.”

“Oh, so that explains it.” Chaewon’s lips form into an ‘O’ in realization.

“Why? Do you think that Hyunjin’s sort of my girlfriend or something?” Hyeju wiggles her eyebrows while she gets comfortable on the bed that could fit four.

“N-No! It’s just that I don’t see you around the campus like Hyunjin, that’s all.” Chaewon looks away again, trying to hide her face in embarrassment. “And I do know she has a girlfriend.”

“Well, I don’t usually go outside. I do have a car but Sooyoung takes it for a spin most of the time with Jiwoo.” 

Chaewon recalls the time when Jiwoo once joked about having hots for an uber driver and turns out, it was no other than Sooyoung. Of course, who else would Jiwoo be crazy about besides Sooyoung? Chaewon did hear about Sooyoung just borrowing the car she uses and Chaewon never thought that she would meet the owner herself in this godforsaken party.

What shocked Chaewon the most was the fact that even though Hyeju was very different from her, they were still the same. Despite meeting her for the first time today, it’s like Chaewon has known her ever since because Hyeju’s interests were all too familiar for her.

“So tell me about this obsession of yours with 80s-90s artist references.” Hyeju places her head on her palm. Chaewon really never noticed that they’re both already basically lying down comfortably on Jinsol’s parents’ bed. Hyeju was too good of a talker, Chaewon thinks.

“It’s nothing. I just think you’ll get what I want to say when I do that, especially that you like Depeche Mode.” Chaewon finally lets herself lie supine on the bed, letting her spinning vision settle for a moment before it steadies.

“Do you not like them?”

“I don’t like electro pop. Though Take On Me and Just Can’t Get Enough are exceptions.” Chaewon hears Hyeju gasp and it was something she had expected even before this conversation even started.

“That’s blasphemous!”

“Then blasphemous it is.” Chaewon just laughs while she stares at the ceiling, only a dimmed light from the table lamp illuminating it. Chaewon really finds the ambiance very peaceful despite the chaos ensuing outside.

“Simple Minds? A Flock of Seagulls? When In Rome? You listen to Duran Duran!” Hyeju was getting hysterical already as she rocked the bed in an attempt to make Chae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter