Acquaintance

Mobius Strip
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Miyawaki Sakura stretches her arms and looks out at the light rain that’s beating on the tinted glasses of her limo’s window. Sitting beside her is Hitomi, her trusted companion and also the appointed deputy head, who just snatched the Switch out of her hands right as they turned the corner into the entrance.

 

“Are you ready, Saku-chan?”

 

“Yes.”

 

The door swung open with a line of executives greeting and wondering who the new head was. As soon as they laid their eyes on the Sakura, they knew the answer.

 

“Mi...Miyawaki Sakura?” Sakura’s sensitive ears heard the low whispers of some veteran execs who know the politics of the Miyawaki clan more than anyone. She can barely hide her smirk before she notices that her cousin is not amongst the people to welcome her.

 

“Pleased to meet you again, Miyawaki-nim.” The old fox that’s Lee Hyunkee, the vice-president of the branch, extended his hand to a welcoming shake.

 

“Likewise, Hyunkee-nim. Please drop formalities and call me Sakura. Thanks for having me and my father in your care throughout these years.”

 

“No, no!” He shook his head in a hearty smile. “It’s me who’s privileged to work alongside such amazing stars as Kenichi-nim and his distinct daughter. Shall we?” He stepped aside and gestured to Sakura to enter the building.

 

There’s a grand hall that allows a view from the mezzanine, with nosy employees already lined up along the railings, eager to get a glimpse at the person who is going to take up the mantle of Yamamoto, who had been heading the finance department for the last 10 years. Not in their wildest dreams did they think another Miyawaki would show up at their doorstep. Even the most removed worker would surely understand by now, that their office has become the battleground for the next line of succession.

 

Will it be your useless elder son, or will it be my snake-like father? Sakura looks at the huge painting of the portrait of her grandfather hung along one side of the entrance hall across the central lift lobby.

 

----------------------

 

Sakura and Hitomi are led to the new department one floor below the president’s floor, and given time to take a rest before the big welcome meeting in 2 hours. Being a prestigious department that not only controls the finances, but also the strategy of the business due to the long presence and influence Yamamoto had, Sakura could finally understand the weight on her shoulders as she is greeted by a luxurious room with the same gigantic presence of her predecessor she did not expect. Everything screams tacky to her-- golden gilded oak furnitures, elaborate clockwork, and lush sofas-- the center space behind her was the only part of the wall not adorned with paintings or plaques of awards.

 

Barely did she sit down in her chair, when a woman whizzed into the room and introduced herself as Cho Yuri, the deputy manager of the administrative office.

 

“Did Yamamoto not care to bring some of them back?”

 

“Yes--Miyawaki-nim, he did take the marble statue of the ocean liner there--” Yuri answers as she points at the only other empty space in the office “and the self-portrait behind your desk. Do you want it to be replaced?”

 

“No, thank god, no, this is all good.” Sakura blurted out, relieved that she can stare pass the only empty space, out the windows and down at Han River if she ever needs to, instead of the choking extravagance she inherited.

 

Sakura is acutely aware that despite the nervous look on Yuri’s face, she’s not more than a few years older than herself. Sakura herself is just 3 years into the adult world-- she can’t help but wonder if Hitomi, her only friend and batchmate in the company, is also trying to put on a front as desperately as she is now.

 

“I am sorry that our head assistant also retired along with Yamamoto-nim, and so...here I am... the ‘best’ that you got…” Yuir’s voice trails off before she clears in panic, wondering if that’s the right thing to say. Hitomi could barely conceal her laugh.

 

“Relax, Yuri-ssi, we’re not monsters, and we don’t care as long as you get us to the places we need to be... “ she pokes on her watch with a poker face that sends chills down Yuri’s spine. “On time.”

 

“Oh yes!!” Yuri jumps at the reminder. “Em, the president would like to request a private audience with you before the scheduled heads of department welcome at 5, if you don’t mind.”

 

“Oh I see, thanks Yuri-ssi. Please let him know I will be there in 5 minutes. And don’t you mind Hiichan...she has a savage tongue but she’s a nice p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter