part one: chocolates

of promises & feelings

WARNING: i’ll be using a lot of vulgar words. it might just catch some of you off-guard but to make everything sure, im warning y’all that this work contains a little bit of a mature theme. if you think something is wrong, please feel free to message me.

 


 

Yena was in middle school when she met Kim Minjoo and Jo Yuri. She and Minjoo were classmates and immediately bonded when they learned that they all share the same passion for music. Then Yuri, who’s close with Minjoo naturally got close with Yena too.

 

Ever since she was young, Yena has a particular interest in playing guitar. But recently, she’s taken a liking to watching bass performances and tutorials. It didn’t help that her older brother likes bass too and has one at home.

 

She concluded that she likes playing bass rather than guitar after she stole her brother’s bass one time to try it and as you probably have guessed—she fell in love with it instantly. She loves the rougher noise that it makes whenever she strums the string. To her, guitar is like candy while bass is chocolate. And she likes chocolate more.

 

For some reason, that’s her answer whenever people ask her why she loves playing bass rather than guitar. She responded the same when her older brother, Seungmin, threw her a curious question when Yena confessed that she wanted a bass like he had.


 

“You know, I want to create a band,” Minjoo suddenly announced to them one day when they were having their weekly hangout by the Han River.

 

Yuri, who’s eating her sandwich, looked at her friend with a fond look while Yena gasped at that, liking the idea. She loves listening to bands, watching gigs occasionally and stuff. If Minjoo will really create a band then Yena is going to snatch that bassist position!

 

“We should.” The oldest among them three responded with a bright smile, straightening her posture and she’s obviously excited at the sudden plan. “I mean, I can play bass! Yuri for vocals, and you, Minjoo—for guitar.” She exclaimed, pointing at her friends.

 

They’re just young kids who love music and have passion for it but they’re determined. The three of them have an interest in forming a band together even way before—the first time the three of them talked, the topic of forming a band in the future already got inserted by Yena herself.

 

Minjoo shook her head with a smile. “No, I won’t play the guitarist role if ever, Yena-unnie.” She replied, taking a sip from her iced tea which made Yena pout. “I’ll be the drummer.”

 

Yuri’s mouth went agape. “You’re very considerate, Joo. You know that girls who play drums are rare these days so you would rather take that spot. Hmm, well you do love drums too anyway.” She said, and her lips curved up into a small smile. Minjoo nodded, laying down on the mat while Yena just blinked.

 

“I promise you guys, next year—the moment we get in high school. I’ll officially form a band with you all.”

 

And that promise happened.

 

//

 

Minjoo formed a band named ‘Zone City’. With some help from her parents, they have their own practice room and other instruments. They even got themselves a manager which is a senior from their school and close friend of them, Kwon Eunbi.

 

“Tomorrow is officially the band’s first gig! I know it’s in our school but this time, you guys will perform as official band members of Zone City!” Eunbi announced, clapping her hands and looking very proud.

 

Yena took a deep breath, feeling the adrenaline rush into her even though they will just practice today, she felt like giving her all. Her dream came true! Their dreams came true at last!

 

Even way before, they sometimes play whenever there’s an event in their school and they usually get thrown into a random unit or temporary group with some seniors but now, they’re permanent, official.

 

The students already know them, they’re quite popular around because they are usually always on stage, and because of Minjoo. Quite enough to gather a crowd singing along with them.

 

She’s very glad that a lot of people already support them. She’s relieved yet pressured at the same time but this is her dream. She can’t disappoint people!

 

Some even thought they were too young to form a band but they just shrugged it off. They are so sure about this already. Nothing can hold them back. They will be Zone City until God’s know when.

 

Yena roamed her eyes around the room, they’re currently in Minjoo’s house—in their practice room. One by one, she eyed each member secretly with a loving gaze. They are her bandmates for a long time, people who are close with her—with another, and all equally passionate about performing.

 

Jo Yuri, of course, their wonderful vocalist. Yena will admit but she has a little crush on her close friend but she will never admit that out loud because she knows that there is something between her and Minjoo. She will never dare to break them apart. The both of them are Yena’s close friends so she will rather keep everything to herself, besides, it’s not like she’s in love. Just a simple crush because she really loves Yuri’s personality and god damn husky voice.

 

She just simply admires the vocalist.

 

Then her eyes turned to the girl beside Yuri. It’s Minjoo. The founder of the band, the backbone of the band as Yena would like to call her. Everything became possible because of her alone and she’s grateful. Minjoo helped her a lot in many ways and she will be forever grateful to her close friend.

 

Next to her is Lee Chaeyeon, sitting on a stool while giggling as she watched Eunbi hop like a bunny in front of them out of excitement. She will be Zone City’s keyboardist. She’s a batchmate of Yena, however, she’s in another class so they aren’t classmates. The three of them are already friends with her even way before because of the same reasons: music, and band.

 

And then, Kang Hyewon. Their timid guitarist. She’s also the same age as her, and Chaeyeon—she’s classmates with the latter and found her through Chaeyeon too. Even though she was timid, when they all became close, Hyewon is actually a very funny and weird woman who has very outstanding skills in playing guitar and piano.

 

Yena still couldn’t believe it. That she’s really in a band.

 

At age seventeen, Yena officially became Zone City’s proud and charismatic bassist.

 

//

 

After a year, the band gained more popularity throughout and they do usual gigs around town. They got some handful of crazy supporters too. But all in all, everything went smoothly for Zone City. They never really faced big conflicts at all.

 

Yena is absolutely enjoying the spotlight. Performing in front of the audience, hearing them sing along with them is still absolutely surreal to her. What she just didn’t expect is that there will be hoard of fangirls and fanboys. At first, she was overwhelmed at the attention, especially whenever some people say that they like the bass player the most and stuff like that.

 

But later on, she got used to it and just played along. Because she’s always having too much fun with her fans, she got the title of ‘the charismatic and playgirl bassist of Zone City’.

 

Well, Yena might admit. She probably goes too far with her fanservice sometimes. Among them all, she’s the friendliest while Minjoo is the least approachable. It didn’t help that she’s just naturally playful around people.

 

It also didn’t help that those attention, praises, sultry and pleading gazes made her head big, she enjoyed all of it. She’s never the one who gets easily fooled and lured, but she’s weak for women who always pamper her and praises her like she’s a god.

 

And so, it wasn’t surprising that she had a lot of ‘girlfriends’ and became a notorious heartbreaker in her prime.



 

“Yena,” The bassist groaned, pressing herself even further to the woman she’s currently with, pinning her to the wall. The way she just called her name so sweetly and seductively encouraged her to do even more.

 

She doesn’t even know this girl’s name, like she cares. All she just remembered was that the band just finished performing their gig at this bar and people started to flock over her as usual, but this woman won for tonight. She got Choi Yena’s attention the most this night.

 

And so, when the girl padded towards her and leaned over her, whispering about spending the night together. Yena surrendered and dragged her to the dingy bathroom of the bar. She didn’t make an effort to take her out even, this is just a one time thing anyway.

 

Yena doesn’t do long term relationships. Nah, she’s too young for that. She wanted to enjoy and taste different foods first before she commits.

 

The other band members were surprised that she’s like this. Well, not like she could blame them, she’s surprised as well that she’s like this too. Must be influenced by her brother who she always catches bringing different women almost everyday to their house before.

 

People would always say that she looks like a keeper. A girl who will be very loyal and not that interested in short term and shallow relationships. But now, it’s not a big deal anymore. The band members just warned her to be careful, even though they really dislike it because it might tarnish the band’s reputation—surprisingly, it just boosted because of Yena’s good way at handling supporters.

 

Yuri and Minjoo are very vocal that they don’t like her behavior at all but they gave up nagging at her since she would just give them bright grins.

 

“Play me like how you play your bass,” The woman whispered right to her ear, giving it a bite to seduce her more. “Do me good, Choi.” Her fingers gently gripping her messy blonde locks.

 

Yena can feel herself sweating hard, it’s warm in that stinky bathroom but it became hotter when she just literally made out with a hot stranger. And judging how things are going, they might go further than making out.

 

She can already feel the woman’s fingers playing with her belt but she immediately grabbed it away, giving her a smirk. “No uh, no touching.” She whispered smugly to the woman, giving her a sensual kiss on her neck as she moved her hands to the stranger’s sides. “Let me do all the work.”

 

Can’t help but to suppress a grin when she felt the woman trembling in excitement as she clung to her, fully submitting, Yena began to travel her hands further, inserting it into the stranger’s shirt and caressed her smooth skin underneath.

 

A low moan escaped the woman’s lips, and it made Yena’s excitement rise up even more. She wanted more of that sound, a very thrilling melodic sound. A song to her ears.

 

She was about to grab the woman’s chest when suddenly, the door of the stall beside them was opened harshly, and a woman went out of there—looking very annoyed.

 

Hissing, Yena stopped and took a step backward but the woman just latched onto her like a koala, still kissing her jaw shamelessly. Even if she’s like this, Yena has still some decency in her.

 

“Sheesh, so you’re that bassist Yuri was talking about,” The woman mumbled, glaring at them, looking at them with utmost disgust with her expressive tiger-like eyes as she walked to the sink across them. “I know you’re a playgirl, but I didn’t know that you’re this…” She didn’t continue and just shook her head, and Yena will assume, in disappointment as she washed her hands and wiped her sweaty forehead.

 

That got Yena’s attention. This girl knows Yuri. She just stared silently though, with her brow arched up in annoyance because of the sudden disturbance with their business and slight curiosity.

 

She ignored the woman who’s hissing at the newcomer and just watched the latter close the faucet and faced them with judgemental eyes.

 

For the first time in her life, Yena felt ashamed of her doings. The woman’s eyes are just so expressive and dangerous, she’s judging her whole being, like she knows her inside out. It scares her.

 

“I’m surprised that your indecent acts never tarnished the band’s reputation.” The stranger said emotionlessly, venom lying beneath her tone that made Yena freeze. The bassist just froze there, eyeing her with wide shocked eyes.

 

“Choi Yena-ssi, I know you’re carefree but this act of yours might really ruin the band’s image in the future. Have some shame.” The woman with long brown hair and expressive sharp eyes added, hissing at her before turning around and exited the bathroom, leaving the both of them there.

 

The woman snickered, pulling Yena closer to her. “What a ! She’s just jealous,” She cursed before turning to Yena, her angry eyes went soft and seductive again. “Let’s continue what we left off, shall we?” She then whispered to the mum bassist and tried to kiss her but Yena just turned her head away, and her lips landed on her cheek instead.

 

After that, the taller girl pulled away fully, not even looking at her. “Sorry, I need to go back now.” She whispered and before the other woman could even stop her, the bassist walked away, leaving the scene—leaving the woman dumbfounded and frustrated.

 

Yena walked and swam through the ocean of people silently, hands in her pockets and she ignored all of the calls of her name. Her mind is running. She’s drowning in her own thoughts that she can’t even feel her surroundings, can’t hear the music booming through the speakers.

 

She just let her feet lead her to the band’s table.

 

They were surprised to see her. Chaeyeon was the first one who greeted her and as she sat down beside her, offering her some beer as she did that. “Woah, you’re early, Yena? And you look down too. I guess something bad happened?” She asked, laughing afterwards.

 

Yena just glared at her friend and took the beer, downing it. Her eyes went to Minjoo who’s also eyeing her silently while her arm is wrapped around Yuri’s shoulders. The latter is on the phone, trying to communicate with someone but failed because of the loud music.

 

Not long after, Yuri turned to Minjoo and whispered something before standing up. “I’ll just fetch my cousin. She’s just around.” She said to the members and disappeared into the crowd after that.

 

Minjoo then turned again to her. “You’re unusually quiet,” The drummer pointed out, tilting her head a bit as she scratched her chin—Yena could see the tattoos on her hand, she wanted to get one too but she’s scared.

 

“Something just happened, not that serious.” Yena responded almost immediately and emptied her beer in one go, grimacing but asked for another one and this time, she also mixed soju in it.

 

Again, she got lost into her thoughts again. The sight of that unfamiliar stranger with tiger-like eyes, expressive chocolate orbs flashed in her mind that made her crazy. She couldn’t decipher her looks very well because of the dim lightning but judging with her eyes alone, she’s scarily gorgeous. But that’s not the point now, Choi Yena! It’s how her words really struck you so bad and how she eyed you in disgust.

 

Yena really felt dirty that moment.

 

“Hey, guys, I want to introduce you all to my cousin!” Yuri’s voice entered her ears, and with that, she looked up to see the newcomer and almost had a cardiac arrest when she was met with the same pair of eyes that were haunting her thoughts just right now.

 

The woman is equally shocked to see her in the table, not because she’s struck but more like, surprised and curious as to why she’s currently present when they just met in the bathroom with an unpleasant circumstance just a few minutes ago.

 

“Her name is Kim Chaewon!” Yuri shouted, and gestured for her to take a seat beside her, which is just across Yena’s seat.

 

Chaeyeon greeted Chaewon first with a polite smile. “Hello, I’m Chaeyeon. The keyboard player, nice to meet you, Chaewon-ssi.” She introduced herself and Chaewon just waved her off, bowing at them before saying something.

 

“Ahh please, no need to introduce yourselves. I know you guys. Nice to meet you all too.” The newcomer said with a small smile plastered on her lips and Yena couldn’t help but to stare at those thin lips.

 

Same thin lips where those painful words came out from earlier that made an impact to her whole being.

 

Chaewon, surprisingly, blended in very well. She’s a good talker and she has these vibes that will make one comfortable already despite the dark aura that’s coming from her. And those droopy sharp eyes are very intimidating yet now, it’s sparkling as she talks comfortably with Hyewon and Eunbi.

 

“You’re an art student too?” Chaeyeon asked, surprised when Chaewon said she’s also just a freshman in college.

 

Nodding, Chaewon confirmed it with a smile and took a sip from her beer. “Yeah, I go to KNUA. I major in theater arts though.” She revealed and the others around the table were in awe, even Yena.

 

“Wow, that’s cool.” Eunbi complimented, chuckling. “Chaeyeon here also goes to an arts school, majoring in dance while most of us took a course related to business. Well, Yena majors in graphic design.” She added.

 

Chaewon nodded, sneering to herself when Yena got mentioned and the latter noticed that, narrowing her eyes but she just sighed. She understands that Chaewon doesn’t like her. Well, she witnessed her doing stuff with a random woman, of course she’ll be a little bit wary around her.

 

She’s actually very ashamed right now, it didn’t help that they’re just across each other. But even so, her eyes would just land on Chaewon, and unconsciously gaze at her, letting her gaze trace Yuri’s cousin’s features even under the dim lights.

 

And then, their gazes met suddenly. Yena swore her breath hitched as her heartbeat sped up. Those tiger-like eyes are still the same, very expressive and disgust is written all over her honey orbs but they are twinkling beautifully.

 

“Heh, doesn’t fit her at all.” Chaewon mumbled under her breath yet her eyes never left Yena, and the latter clearly heard that but the others didn’t, already occupied talking with one another. It’s a snarky remark with a hint of amusement.

 

Gulping, the bassist looked away, feeling Chaewon’s gaze burn her, judging her. She felt under her mocking gaze but she couldn’t bring herself to say anything.

 

She doesn’t want to cross paths with Kim Chaewon anymore.

 

//

 

Few months went on smoothly, until suddenly, Yuri fainted while practicing after vomiting blood. There’s where everything took turns for the band.

 

Yuri was diagnosed with cancer and she needs proper treatment. She can’t sing yet, and that’s the problem, gigs are piling up and the vocalist is very stubborn that they should go for it because she has a substitute.

 

“For sure, it’ll take time for me to heal, y’know? It’ll be a big loss if you guys won’t go on gigs for months.” Yuri said, giggling weakly as she laid down on the hospital bed.

 

Minjoo’s fists clenched and Yena saw that, gulping. This is going to be pretty tough for them. Minjoo will surely lose focus too because she’s too busy worrying over her sick lover.

 

Eunbi sighed, shaking her head and glanced at the drummer before turning to Yuri. “Who’s the substitute you mentioned anyway?” She asked, crossing her arms as she sat properly on the chair.

 

Yuri gave them a small smile. “You know her all, you guys met her already.” She answered. Hyewon perked up, it looks like she got it already but Yena is still clueless. She knows this substitute will do well because Yuri herself personally knows them.

 

“Kim Chaewon. My cousin, you met her a few months ago.” Yuri then added, dropping the bomb and the band members just reacted naturally, waiting for the vocalist to finish except for Yena who froze at the mention of that name.

 

After their encounter in that bar, they never met Chaewon again nor heard of her ever again. Yena liked it that way because Chaewon’s judgemental eyes and sneers kept haunting her in her dreams and daydreams, it was driving her nuts. Even now, although not constantly like before, Kim Chaewon still haunts her. Her and her freaking expressive sharp eyes that could make her tremble in shame and fear.

 

It also took Yena a month to touch another woman after that incident, she just felt ashamed and embarrassed. Whenever she’s with them, she can't help but think of Chaewon and her stinging words—it’ll make her stop from doing the deed almost immediately. Until now, it’s like that so she didn’t fool around much like she does before.

 

“She’s a very good vocalist, she fits the band. I already contacted her and she’s up for it.” Yuri said, giving them pleading eyes and with that, they all just agreed with the vocalist’s plan.

 

And with that, Kim Chaewon will become their vocalist for the meantime as their original vocalist takes a rest.

 

For sure, those days will be Yena’s most terrifying experience.

 

//


 

As expected, it is.

 

Now that Chaewon is around, it feels like Yena couldn’t breathe—she always feels suffocated especially whenever the vocalist’s eyes will land and stay on her for a few moments.

 

The first day Chaewon formally introduced herself as Zone City’s vocalist in broad daylight, Yena was in awe because this time—she could properly see the other woman’s whole being this time and heck, she’s prettier under the bright lightning. With the ray of sunlight hitting her fair skin, making her stand out even more. Like a flower in the middle of a field full of weeds.

 

She was just wearing a simple mint shirt and jeans with a pair of white sneakers when she entered their practice room, smiling at them as she tried to converse with the other band members. Her long brown silky hair is also tied up into a low ponytail.

 

Kim Chaewon is soft-looking. Yena concluded, and she was surprised.

 

She has a sharp yet round small face, cute button nose, and a charming smile. Her eyes are sometimes bright and adorable but most of the time, intimidating, the same ones when she met her at the bar before. But even so, its effect on the bassist remained the same.

 

She couldn’t properly move and strum the bass when she’s around, especially when her sharp and heavy gaze is on her, eyeing her every move.

 

After catching up with one another, they finally got into business. Yena prepared herself to intently listen to Chaewon’s singing voice. She has a very soothing and sweet voice so she’s expecting a lot.

 

And when Chaewon started to sing, Yena forgot to move her fingers to strum the guitar out of shock, thankfully, the others didn’t notice much as they were equally struck as well when the room was filled up with their new vocalist’s singing voice.

 

It’s too sweet, so sweet and melancholy. Contrary to Yuri’s husky and heavy voice, Chaewon’s voice is too sweet and light.

 

A freaking lullaby, its hypnotizing Yena. Her full attention is only on Chaewon, strumming her bass mindlessly. She can’t think straight. She can’t describe the brunette’s voice properly, all that she can say is: her voice lit up the colors in Yena’s world.

 

Soon, the singing came into an end. Chaewon is also good at her expressions, she can match the mood and genre of the song she’s singing. She slowly dropped the mic down and looked at the band members nervously.

 

Minjoo reacted first, nodding in amazement. “Wonderful,” She commented with a small smile and stood up, walking towards the lounge to open her phone and probably text Yuri.

 

Chaewon let out a relieved sigh after that, she just indirectly got Minjoo’s approval. Soon, the others started to flock over her—even the timid Hyewon kept showering the substitute vocalist some praises.

 

Yena just stayed back, watching the commotion from her seat. She can see that Chaewon is happy that she pleased them with her performance. The bassist couldn’t help to bite her own lower lip, eyes still glued to the vocalist who’s talking with Chaeyeon, her eyes are sparkling.

 

After a small break, they went on it again. They practiced three songs in total before Eunbi called for a break, she and Minjoo would talk about some stuff so they took advantage of that.

 

Yena silently drank her cold water as she plopped herself down to the couch, heaving a tired sigh and roamed her eyes around. She immediately spotted Hyewon and Chaeyeon talking with each other while chuckling. She moved her sight once again and boom, target locked.

 

Quietly, she stared at Chaewon—the vocalist went to the balcony. And before she can even stop herself, she already found herself trailing the woman towards the place and saw her there, leaning against the railing as her chin is tilted upwards, seemingly admiring the stars.

 

It’s already night, around seven so the skies are already dark and stars are already twinkling.

 

The bassist then continued on, walking to the spot beside Chaewon but with a huge gap. The last thing she wanted is to make the vocalist scared and uncomfortable. They’re still not really on good terms after the incident a few months ago, and Yena would like to fix that. The atmosphere between them is very heavy and awkward, quite noticeable too.

 

It seems like Chaewon still hasn’t noticed her presence at all, still engrossed watching the skies or she’s just ignoring Yena. The bassist snickered to herself, hoping it’s not the latter.

 

“You’re really a good singer.” Yena started off with a compliment, and the sudden voice caught Chaewon off-guard, realizing that she’s not alone in the spot.

 

Taking a deep breath, Chaewon cleared and composed herself at the sudden shock that Yena brought her. “T-Thanks,” She muttered lowly and plainly, almost inaudible but the bassist caught it.

 

And then, a pregnant silence formed between them. Even Yena, who’s good at socializing and smoothtalker, was very speechless and awkward with Chaewon that very time. For the first time, she felt so shy initiating a conversation with someone. It didn’t help that Chaewon looks very aloof and she looks like she doesn’t want to talk with her at all.

 

Yena could feel drops of sweat forming on her forehead. She bit her lower lip and combed her blonde hair with her fingers. “U-Uhh,” She stammered and because of that, she paused and closed her eyes tightly. , she’s really awkward and embarrassed to the point she can’t even form the right words to say to ease the heavy tension between them.

 

“Your voice is really sweet. I-I like it…” Yena mindlessly complimented, and her eyes widened in realization after saying that. Too late, Choi Yena! She wanted to slap that time.

 

She can see that Chaewon turned to her after that in her peripheral vision, eyes arched up in confusion and if she’s not mistaken, slight annoyance. The vocalist looked almost offended and Yena is surely a dead meat.

 

“Be straightforward, Choi Yena-ssi. Are you…” Chaewon paused for a moment, uncomfortably shifting on her spot. “Are you trying to hit on me? Because let me tell you, it won’t work.” She added, emotionlessly.

 

Yena’s jaw dropped at the sudden accusation. Her brows instantly furrowed and opened to say something a little bit… rude but she stopped, realization hitting her like a truck. Of course, Chaewon would think like that. She has a bad reputation around, it didn’t help that the things that kept going out of were compliments.

 

Instead of snickering and giving a sarcastic response like she would say in this kind of situation, Yena chose to understand everything from Chaewon’s perspective this time.

 

“I-I do not,” The bassist stammered, gulping as the substitute vocalist eyed her intensely. “Please, I have no plans under my sleeves. I-I just want to have a small decent talk with you.” She added weakly, her hand moving to scratch her nape awkwardly as she averted her gaze.

 

Chaewon looked unconvinced though, still eyeing her suspiciously. Yena let out a sigh. “I’m serious. S-Sorry if I made you uncomfortable, I just don’t know what to say for a starter. I-I’ll leave you be, Chaewon-ssi.” She whispered dejectedly, shoulders slumping in defeat as she turned around, looking like a sad puppy that got rejected by her owner for a fetch.

 

“Wait.”

 

Yena halted almost immediately, almost halfway through inside and took a glance from her shoulders. She saw Chaewon crossing her arms, still eyeing her but now, instead of annoyance and disgust, it’s just doubt. And it’s just scary how the bassist could already tell everything by reading Chaewon’s eyes alone. Is her eyes really that expressive? It’s like an open book.

 

“Sorry. Your impression on me isn’t just that good so I said that out of reflex. Forgive me for accusing you like that.” Chaewon whispered, looking away—dust of pink started to form on her fluffy cheeks.

 

Yena blinked, a little bit dumbfounded. Chaewon apologized. And she’s very relieved hearing that coming from the vocalist’s mouth.

 

She just stood there, staring at Chaewon with wide eyes and protruding lips. The vocalist became more tense, and coughed, walking away and just went past her but before that, she halted near her.

 

“If my accusation is true though. You’ll never get me. I’m not easy, I’m not like those girls you always fool around with,” Chaewon said with a monotonous voice, giving her a sharp look before finally walking inside, going to Hyewon and Chaeyeon who greeted the brunette with big smiles.

 

Yena stood there for a few moments before collecting herself up, taking a deep breath and grumpily walked towards the three—her and Chaewon’s eyes met for a brief second and the bassist clicked her tongue, muttering something under her breath.

 

“I don’t even like her that way. She’s so arrogant…”

 

//

 

Zone City’s first gig with Chaewon as their vocalist happened four days after the practice.

 

Yena could already see how nervous Chaewon was, even way before they went to the venue. She observed how the brunette would shift uncomfortably in her seat and would let out a sigh from time to time. Obviously enough, she’s anxious.

 

She’s trying her best not to show it, only giving the other band members a smug look and smile to cover her nervousness but Yena could see right through her for some reason.

 

When they arrived at the venue, Chaewon’s pupils kept shaking. Yena silently stared at her as she helped some staff fix their instruments, eyeing Chaewon who’s standing near the wall and biting her thumbnail as she roamed her worried eyes around the place.

 

Sighing, Yena just shook her head and placed her bass nearby before approaching Chaewon silently, leaning on the wall just beside her. “Is this your first time singing on stage with a wide audience?” She turned her head to meet Chaewon’s curious gaze then brought her hand up to her lower lip, playing with it. “I noticed that you’re very nervous.”

 

Chaewon was stunned for a moment before shaking her head. “No, I’m a theater student, remember? Performing in front of the crowd is my thing, I’m so used to it because I’m always the lead woman in our plays.” She answered confidently, then paused, pressing her lips together into a thin line before letting out a sigh. “But this is my first time with a band. It feels different… So I guess you could say I’m nervous.” Added by her honestly.

 

Couldn’t suppress a small smile, Yena nodded along. “Do you want me to get you some water?” She offered, concerned for the brunette.

 

That caught Chaewon off-guard, staring at her for a whole three seconds before blinking, shaking her head—it’s a sign of decline. “No, thank you,” She softly mumbled then finally averted her gaze, finding the gray wall in front of them more interesting than Yena.

 

However, the blonde—with her stubborn nature—didn’t accept the decline. She fished her hand into the pocket of her jacket and retracted it after getting the things she wanted to take, opening her palm to check if the chocolates are still in good condition—nodding to herself when she saw that they are still in a very good shape.

 

And then, she reached for Chaewon’s hand, which made the latter flinch badly—and before she could even react, Yena passed the small chocolates on her hand with a cheeky smile and met her gaze. “You know, chocolates help me a lot. It gives me comfort. Hopefully, these will make you less anxious.”

 

Quirking her brow, Chaewon dropped her curious gaze to the small bite-sized chocolates wrapped in gold foil for a brief moment and to Yena’s again. Yet before she could even say anything, the bassist took a step backwards, her boyish and charming smile never left her lips.

 

“Make sure to drink water after you eat.” The blonde reminded before turning her heels, walking away completely, leaving Chaewon dumbfounded there with chocolates on her hand.

 

Yena isn’t sure why she did that, but she just wanted to help Chaewon in her own way. Hopefully, the vocalist won’t find her weird for suddenly pulling a stunt like that.

 

Sighing, the bassist crossed her arms and just stared at her own reflection in the mirror. She went to the bathroom after walking out like that. Great place to think why she acted so sudden like that.

 

But she didn’t stay there for too long, they might perform soon—she could already hear the crowd inside the café, waiting for them to start. So, after tying her hair into a ponytail and collected herself up, she exited the place and went back.

 

Much to her shock and delight, she caught Chaewon eating the chocolates that she gave her on the corner. Yena witnessed how the brunette delicately opened the wrapper and placed the small piece of chocolate into , her eyes sparkling and much brighter than earlier as she gently chewed it.

 

Grinning to herself, Yena mentally noted to herself that she should buy more chocolates.

 

//

 

Their first gig with Chaewon ended smoothly as expected. The regular watchers were confused when an unfamiliar face went to the stage with a mic, and sang with the band but later on, got caught up with the situation. It seemed like they liked Chaewon too, judging by how they all cheered for the vocalist with a sweet dreamy voice.

 

And they celebrated it, having a drinking session with some of Chaeyeon’s friends. Minjoo isn’t present at the table, already excusing herself that she will go to Yuri. They all understood that though.

 

Yena sat on the chair, getting herself some beer and opened it herself, taking big gulps and almost choked when Chaewon snickered at her. “I’m surprised that you’re here.” She arched her brow.

 

Coughing a bit, the bassist wiped the excess beer that spilled out of with the sleeve of her jacket and gave Chaewon a look. “And why?” She threw a question.

 

The vocalist shrugged, looking smug as she elegantly took a sip from her soda (she’s not really a fan of alcohol so she just ordered some lime soda). “Aren’t you supposed to be missing right now? You know, to do your business with your girls or whatever.” She responded that made Yena’s jaw drop.

 

“I-I,” The blonde stammered, she doesn’t know how to counter Chaewon’s sly remarks—she just found herself getting speechless once again. Because of that, Yena realized—yeah, in this kind of time, she’s probably out with some girl already, making out around with them or even doing something worse than that but now, she’s really present at the table.

 

However, that was before. After the incident months ago, Yena changed a bit and never really fooled around that much anymore.

 

“How did you know that I’m often not present at our table after gigs?” Yena asked weakly, this is the best response she could think of.

 

Rolling her eyes, Chaewon just shook her head. “Yuri told me a lot about you and the other members. She always talks about how much of a playgirl you are and she’s always sulking because instead of hanging with them after the band’s gigs, you are somewhere with some girls—doing whatever it is.” She responded and took a sip from her lime soda again, eyes lingering on the empty stage.

 

Yena bit her lower lip, shrinking into her seat. She felt really embarrassed and most importantly, guilty—for doing all of that. The band members might look like they’re just chill with it but in fact, they’re always sad about her lack of presence and just tolerating her behavior. But now, she’s trying her best to make it up to them though.

 

Another sting struck into the heart. Kim Chaewon hurt her again with her honest and straightforward words.

 

There was a silence between them but their surroundings was perfectly noisy but they just ignored all of it, too preoccupied with their thoughts, especially Yena who’s getting eaten up by her own guilt.

 

“I already stopped,” Yena whispered weakly and let out a yelp when Chaewon’s sharp eyes turned to her, eyeing her intently which made her gulp. “U-Uhh, well not entirely but I-I’m limiting it. I realized how bad it is to play with other people like that for temporary pleasure…” She corrected, sinking further into her seat even more.

 

Chaewon was not amused though, just eyeing her with blank eyes. Yena scratched her head, scared that the vocalist was not satisfied with her honest answer at all and just kept mum.

 

“You know, Yena-ssi, you aren’t so bad at all.”

 

The bassist looked up immediately, almost breaking her neck because of how fast she turned it to look at Chaewon who suddenly talked. The brunette wasn’t looking at her, her gaze remained on the empty stage.

 

“It’s just that you’re too carefree and you prioritize wrong things.” Chaewon whispered, emptying her can of soda and just placed the can on top of the table before facing the dumbfounded bassist. “You’re not a bad person, I can tell that.”

 

Yena blinked, lips twitching—she wanted to say something but she couldn’t think of the right words to say. And so, she just stared at Chaewon for a long time, mum.

 

Not long after, the corner of her lips tugged upwards. Those words are probably the nicest thing she ever heard from Chaewon for her so far. And she’s deeply moved.

 

Maybe, Kim Chaewon isn’t as harsh and judgemental as she looks.

 

//

 

After three gigs with Chaewon, Yuri came back again—looking better and all. She wanted to sing so because of her stubbornness, the band members let her.

 

However, after their gig with Yuri—three days after that, she got confined to the hospital once again after feeling intense pain all over her body and coughing blood once again.

 

They cancelled every gig offer and just focused on Yuri, but the vocalist wasn’t delighted over that, scolding Minjoo and Eunbi for doing such harsh action like that.

 

And then, Yuri just grew weaker and weaker each day—there was when the doctors finally confronted them that the girl won’t last until next month or so. Minjoo almost punched one of the doctors after the heartbreaking announcement, thankfully, Chaeyeon and Hyewon managed to pull her right away.

 

Yena was just dumbfounded while Eunbi cried silently at the corner.

 

They will lose Yuri.

 

They all refused to believe. Yuri is a strong girl, she can get through this illness in no time. She can’t go up there yet when it’s been barely two years since she became the vocalist of Zone City.

 

However, as days passed by—they lost hope as Yuri grew even skinnier, paler, and weaker. Yena couldn’t even stare at Yuri for too long because her heart can’t take it, she kept thinking that her close friend might die soon and she can’t bear it.

 

While Yuri—she gladly accepted her fate and just embraced it with a smile.

 

“Yena…” The vocalist weakly called her as the bassist shakily approached her.

 

Yena took a seat beside the weak girl, trying her best to hold her tears back. Yuri requested to talk to each member of Zone City one by one when she realized that there’s no hope at all because her body is slowly shutting down—she would like to have a chat with her close friends first before she fully enters the gates of heaven.

 

“Y-Yul,” She stuttered, clenching her fists as she refused to look back. She’s scared that once she gets a proper look at her close friend, she might have a breakdown in front of her.

 

Yuri let out a weak chuckle. “I-I have no time to beat around the bush, Yena.” She seriously said, and slowly reached for her friend’s hand—she took a hard time reaching for it and let out a smile when she felt it.

 

Yuri’s hand was cold. Yena could feel herself breaking, her heart shattering.

 

“Thank you, Y-Yena… for everything… for being a good friend to me… I owe you a lot for making me happy and laugh a lot, you clown.” The vocalist weakly muttered, trying to tighten her grip on Yena’s hand. The bassist’s shoulders started to shake badly, she finally let out of those tears—tears falling like it was from a broken dam.

 

“I-I wanted to say more, but I’m too weak… Yena, thank you… I love you… Please take care of yourself—take care of Minjoo… of our bandmates… Always make them laugh like you usually do.” Yuri paused for a while, observing her friend with a broken gaze.

 

“Please… also take care of my cousin, Chaewon…”

 

Yena slowly turned to her friend, confusion written all over her teary eyes that made Yuri laugh a bit, giving her a teasing look then shook her head. “I-I know something, you duck. I-I’m not dense but I’m sure you’re still oblivious about it…” She paused again to take an intake of breath. “C-Chaewon is very intimidating, and harsh… but she’s fragile and sweet, actually—she’s just a huge cinnamon roll.”

 

The bassist doesn’t know why Yuri kept saying this to her but she listened attentively.

 

“Please, no matter what—take care of her and watch her intently.”

 

//

 

Yuri died a week after her one on one conversation with her friends and family.

 

All of the band members took some time off after their vocalist and dear friend’s death. It all struck them intensely, Yuri’s death damaged them so bad—especially Minjoo. They saw how the drummer became so distant with them, always looking so broken and soulless.

 

They all tried their best to comfort her but nothing worked.

 

So, three months had passed—Minjoo herself suddenly asked for them to continue performing because it was Yuri’s wish for them to perform on stage even if she’s gone and not their vocalist anymore.

 

It was gloomy when they entered their practice room, all of them were just silent and sad. Yena couldn’t take it anymore and tried her best to lift up the mood because it was suffocating her. She was relieved when the others started to smile at her silly jokes but the drummer remained gloomy.

 

“Chaewon is our vocalist from now on.” Eunbi announced to them which didn’t really shock Yena—she was not informed but she saw it coming.

 

“Yuri personally asked Chaewon to be her exchange… and Chaewon agreed. She can’t meet us today because she’s busy with some stuff at home but next month, we’re good to go once again.” The manager explained further and sighed, giving them an encouraging look one by one.

 

“Let’s not disappoint Yuri and still burn the stage!”

 

//

 

Their first practice with Chaewon as their permanent vocalist was a little bit gloomy too, especially the brunette who’s always zoning out. She also cried when they performed a sad song that reminded her of her cousin.

 

“S-Sorry… I-I just got emotional. I just miss that rascal so much,” She whispered while laughing as she wiped the tears that escaped her eyes with the sleeves of her hoodie. Hyewon sighed, shaking her head as she offered the vocalist some tissues.

 

“We all miss that rascal… But we have to keep going, she’s probably sad over there while watching us…” The guitarist said with a soft and gentle voice. Ever since Yuri’s death, Hyewon became more expressive and vocal—Yena knew that it’s because of Yuri.

 

The older girl was close with their late vocalist too. Hyewon was so guilty of not being too vocal about her genuine feelings for Yuri—she was so guilty that she never opened up to the girl when she kept asking her if she was alright. She never got to say that Yuri was like the little sister she never had because she was too unexpressive.

 

Chaewon nodded, chuckling again as she crumpled the wet tissue with her hand and shoved it into the pocket of her hoodie. “I’m okay now, let’s continue practicing.” She whispered.

 

After their practice, Minjoo asked them to not go home yet and eat dinner at their favorite samgyupsal place. The other members were a little bit shocked that the drummer offered that but they were relieved that Minjoo is slowly becoming better—yet still broken and scarred.

 

Yena silently ate her meat, not bothering to wrap it on a lettuce and downed a shot of soju. The table isn’t exactly silent, yet it’s not noisy as usual also.

 

“I failed my exam in Calculus yesterday,” Chaeyeon suddenly opened up and Yena giggled, giving the keyboard player a high-hive—looking at her proudly.

 

A wink was thrown to her friend. “Cuz’ same! Calculus, really.” She cursed and the both of them laughed over that. Minjoo smiled a bit when she heard that, chewing her meat silently.

 

She then noticed the quiet Chaewon across her, nibbling on her lettuce silently as she eyed the meat on the griller—obviously in deep thought. The bassist noticed that she became thinner too after Yuri’s death—she knew that her closest’s cousin’s death affected her greatly but seeing her state like this, Yena couldn’t help but to worry and for sure, Yuri wouldn’t like to see her cousin like this either.

 

“Please take care of Chaewon…”

 

Yuri’s voice would haunt her every time. Ever since that day, Yena became more observant and kept a keen eye on Chaewon silently.

 

With a sigh, she leaned on the table a bit and grabbed some pieces of cooked meat before placing it on Chaewon’s empty plate—catching the latter off-guard but it didn’t stop Yena from putting many pieces of meat on the girl’s plate silently, even Chaeyeon was amused and just watched her do it.

 

“You should eat more, you’re too thin.” Yena voiced out her concern without even looking at the vocalist, swiftly placing another cooked meat on the plate and only stopped when she saw that Chaewon’s plate was almost full then helped Eunbi grill more.

 

She could feel all the band members’ gazes at her, making her burn in great embarrassment. It didn’t help that Hyewon purposely started to chew her food loudly to make everything more dramatic.

 

“Thanks…” Yena heard Chaewon mutter quietly and that’s enough for her to know that the brunette will eat all the meat she placed on her plate.

 

The rest of the night went smoothly. Minjoo only ordered three bottles of soju for them to share so no one really got drunk.

 

When they all stood up and was about to go home, Yena noticed Chaewon’s spotless and empty plate which made her smile a bit. She’s relieved that the brunette really ate all of the meat she gave.

 

//

 

Time quickly passed by and a year already gone by a blink just like that. They all just moved on forward with their lives even if they lost Yuri. And speaking of, they all accepted Yuri’s death already and soon, all of those ill feelings faded—although everyone remained scarred because of their loss, they just continued living on normally as Yuri wished.

 

Yena is now in third year college. And all of the band members—so far, they are all doing just fine, they’re mainly occupied with their own studies.

 

Gigs are just normally coming in, they’re just taking one gig per week due to their busy and unmatching schedules, especially Chaewon who’s always busy with school and her plays.

 

But even so, Chaewon always tries her best to attend practices and gigs despite her busy schedule—but of course, there will be a time that she can’t attend practices and sometimes, the band had to reject gig offers because Chaewon isn’t available because of her play.

 

Instead of being in a gig, the band members would sometimes watch Chaewon’s musical especially if it’s a big time to support their friend because the latter became a close friend of them already. The brunette is very comfortable with them already too, treating them as good friends—if she’s free, she would sometimes tag along with their hangout.

 

Well, to be honest, Yena could not say that she and Chaewon are close like how close Hyewon and Chaewon are. They’re probably the least closest in the band—she and Minjoo are even very close already.

 

Not surprising though, Yena is still kind of awkward around Chaewon and vice versa after their little history years ago, but even so, they’re already on good terms and friends—that is for sure, not just really that close.

 

They would have some small talk and would casually joke around but that’s just it. Plus, it’s not like they see each other that often—just whenever there is practice and gig. Unlike her, Hyewon, Chaeyeon, and Minjoo—Chaewon is not attending the same school so they really don’t bump into each other usually.

 

The only thing that matters the most is that Chaewon is comfortable around her already.


 

“Yena, can you fetch Chaewon today from her school?” Eunbi called the bassist one lazy morning.

 

Yena hummed, scratching her head as she sat up properly on her seat—ignoring her stomach grumbling. “Oh, she’s going to attend the practice? Doesn’t she have a play today?” She asked then finally went out of her chair, walking over to her mirror and fixed her messy beige hair.

 

“Yes. She called me earlier that she will attend since the play might end around 3PM. I can’t fetch her because I’m in my shift.” The manager explained the situation and Yena understood it, glancing at her running PC.

 

With a sigh, Yena nodded. “Alright then.” She responded and approached her computer. She heard Eunbi beaming from the other line, muttering a small ‘thanks’ before cutting the line off.

 

The bassist nibbled on her own lower lip as she eyed the monitor. She actually has a commission that she needed to finish today—she’s actually going to finish it before she goes for practice but after this sudden urgent call from Eunbi—she decided to let it be, she can cram it later at night, yes?

 

She closed the tab of the software she’s using for doing some graphic commission and opened Chrome, searching for something.

 

“I hope the ticket is not yet sold out.”

 

//

 

The deities above probably loved her that day because she managed to avail a ticket for Chaewon’s musical. There were about three tickets left and she rejoiced when she managed to secure one—plays like this are exclusive and limited so the tickets offered are just few.

 

After eating lunch and showering, Yena immediately dashed towards her car—patting the shining yellow hood of it before hopping inside it and zoomed through the road—towards Chaewon’s school.

 

It’s Saturday but there are a lot of people roaming around the university, mainly because of the play that will happen and some weekend classes. Yena just casually walked towards the gates and explained to the guard that she’s going to watch the play.

 

The guard let her in without much hassle, just asking for her to show her I.D. and gave her the direction of the auditorium. It didn’t take Yena that long to spot the building. It was not her first time coming here after all—she and the others watched Chaewon before here too.

 

She showed the staff her digital ticket and let her in almost immediately. Yena padded towards the grand hall and entered the double doors, the familiar magnificent view of the theater stage greeted her.

 

Immediately roaming her gaze around, she tried to spot a perfect spot and gotcha’, she managed to find one and brisk walked towards the seat, muttering small apologies to the people she gets bumped into unintentionally because of a sudden rush.

 

Finally, she plopped down to the seat with a satisfied sigh. It’s not too near to the stage, yet not too far either—just perfect for her.

 

As she waited, she snapped some photos of the stage silently and texted Eunbi if Chaewon knew that she would get her. The manager didn’t reply, and the bass player just shrugged, Eunbi is probably busy with her work.

 

“Are you a student from here?”

 

Yena turned to her side, curious if she was the one who got asked. And when her eyes darted there, a woman with long silky hair and a cute innocent look in her face greeted her. She’s smiling at her and obviously enough, she was definitely trying to start a conversation with her.

 

Blinking, she dumbly pointed at herself to confirm and the girl let out a girly chuckle, nodding. “A-Ah, no, I don’t attend here.” She responded politely.

 

The woman once again giggled. “Oh? That tells everything. I attend here but you’re very unfamiliar.” She responded softly and Yena was a little bit mesmerized by this girl’s beauty. A faint attraction hit her.

 

“I’m Wang Yiren, second year architecture student.” The girl suddenly introduced herself, stretching her hand for a handshake and Yena gladly took it. She’s not rude afterall.

 

“Hi, Yiren-ssi. I’m Choi Yena. From SNU, third year digital art student. Nice to meet you.” Yena smoothly introduced herself. Yiren doesn’t look like she’s going to harm anyone, and it’s not bad earning another friend from another school.

 

Yiren nodded with a soft grin. “Likewise, Yena-ssi,” She responded then retracted her hand away gently. “Why are you watching the play? Are you a fan?” She then threw her a question.

 

Yena never really met someone this gentle and soft. Sure, Chaewon is already soft-looking but this Yiren girl just screams gentleness that makes Yena instantly comfortable around her.

 

She’s very attractive, very beautiful—her features are elegant and soft. And judging by her aura and name, she’s definitely a foreigner. Her Korean has an accent but it’s a cute one.

 

“Ahh, no. It’s because of my friend.” Yena replied honestly, giving her a small smile and Yiren glanced at the stage then to her again, nodding in understanding.

 

“May I know who? I know some members there,” The younger woman asked softly and Yena immediately answered with a sweet smile.

 

The bassist averted her gaze and let it land on the stage, it’s covered with a huge red curtain, the usual curtain. “Kim Chaewon. I think she’s just the second lead of the play.”

 

Yiren beamed at the mention of the name, leaning closer to Yena with excited eyes. “You’re friends with Kim Chaewon-sunbae!?” She whispered albeit a little bit harshly that made Yena shock but just laughed afterwards before giving the other girl a nod of confirmation.

 

“Wow, I can’t believe it! Kim Chaewon is popular among the students here! She doesn’t have many friends here so I’m surprised that she’s friends with other students outside the school premises.” Yiren replied, her doe-eyes sparkling in amazement.

 

Chaewon is an introvert, Yena knows that. But what she doesn’t know is that Chaewon is actually really popular. Well, she means—it’s impossible for the vocalist not to be popular—she’s a member of the famous theater club of K-ARTS. Not just that, she’s just too pretty to get unnoticed—she will be always the center of attraction.

 

“She’s in our band, our vocalist—so yeah, we’re kinda close.” Yena blabbered, feeling her chest swell in pride that she’s friends with THE Kim Chaewon.

 

Gasping, Yiren nodded once again, looking surprised. “I’ve heard that she’s in a band, and some even watch her because they admire her. What’s the name of your band? Are you the drummer? Guitarist?” She asked, throwing questions without mercy but Yena just laughed at her innocent curiosity.

 

Truth to be told, they gained more popularity throughout the year. Chaewon gathered a lot of new regular supporters and most of them are from K-ARTS.

 

“Zone City. I’m the bassist.” Yena answered confidently with a charming grin.

 

Yiren even became more amazed. “Wow,” She exclaimed, throwing her an amazed gaze. “I will definitely check you guys out! I heard that band a lot from my friends!”

 

But before she could even respond, the spotlight suddenly opened and some staff announced that the play would start in a few seconds which made Yena beam, fixing her sitting position and rubbed her hands excitedly. “Oh, it’s starting!” She exclaimed and heard a chuckle from Yiren but her eyes just remained glued to the unopened curtains.

 

And soon, the curtains opened which is the sign that the play is now starting. The crowd gave soft claps. Yena clapped lightly while grinning, excited to see Chaewon acting and singing.

 

Chaewon didn’t appear until ten minutes of the play. Yena almost stood up when she saw the brunette suddenly appearing out of nowhere, wearing a gown and an expression fitting for the current situation and events happening in the play.

 

And when Chaewon started to sing her lines, Yena had agape in amazement.

 

Chaewon sings differently in her musicals and in her gigs as Zone City’s vocalist—of course. In plays, she always has to use a higher pitch. While her singing voice, it depends on the song she will sing.

 

“Chaewon-sunbae is really good and talented. I hope she gets another lead soon.” Yiren suddenly commented at the side and Yena nodded as an agreement, her grin getting brighter at the compliment for her friend.

 

The play ended quickly than she thought. She pouted when the cast started to hold hands and form a line then simultaneously bowed, the curtains closed afterwards, she was enjoying it so much especially when Chaewon got the spotlight.

 

She went outside and waited for Chaewon near the gate, Eunbi instructed her to wait for fifteen minutes or so at that very spot so she did—watching some people exit the building while she kicked some random pebbles.

 

A familiar figure reached out to her though, it’s Yiren—when the play ended, the girl asked if she’s going home now or what and Yena answered the truth—that she’s going to wait for Chaewon. And so, she offered to accompany her as she waits, she will just use the bathroom and meet her outside.

 

“Yena-ssi,” Yiren chirped, giving her a bottle of juice and Yena took it, a little bit surprised that the former really made an effort to give her some beverage.

 

Muttering a small ‘thanks’ and smile, Yena opened the bottle and took a huge gulp, obviously thirsty while Yiren just chuckled beside her, taking small sips from her bottle.

 

They had a small talk as they waited for Chaewon to come out and soon, Yena immediately spotted the said girl—she’s walking out of the back exit, trying to swim though the swarm of people.

 

The bassist saw how Chaewon struggled a bit because some of those people—mostly, boys tried to follow her and hit up a conversation of her, showering her praises while Chaewon just gave them a small smile as she received their gifts.

 

However, the sight didn’t amuse Yena at all. She could feel annoyance rising up into the top of her head as the guys continued to pester Chaewon as she approached them but the brunette—not wanting to look rude, just smiled at them awkwardly.

 

They all just stopped bugging her when they noticed that Chaewon is walking towards Yena and Yiren, retreating after shouting some goodbyes to Chaewon before running back to the back exit.

 

As Chaewon walked to their direction, Yena couldn’t help but to stare intently. The brunette is still wearing her almost ruined make-up from the play, sweating a bit because of the heat and a little bit grumpy. She’s wearing her casual clothes now though, loose shirt, jeans, and sneakers with her black backpack. Her long brown hair is tied up into a messy bun.

 

Still looking very pretty even though she looked exhausted from the play. For some reason, Yena wanted to drive Chaewon into her own home instead of letting her practice today.

 

“Yena? I thought Eunbi is the one who’s going to fetch me today,” Chaewon confusedly asked when she finally noticed and recognized the woman standing there at the spot she told Eunbi earlier on where to wait for her. Her brow quirked up a bit in slight confusion, it just made her look grumpier.

 

Yena shrugged, helping Chaewon with the bouquets of flowers and other gifts—holding some for her because she looked like she’s having a hard time. She tried her best to resist the temptation of dumping it to the nearby trash can.

 

“Eunbi asked me to fetch you instead because she has a shift.” The bassist responded with a low tone. “Why? Do you have a problem with me fetching you instead?” She then added with a teasing smirk.

 

Chaewon gave her a glare, brows furrowing together. “No? I was just asking?” She grumpily replied, eyes turning beside Yena and confusion struck her again. “Oh? Who is this…?” She asked quietly.

 

Yiren grinned, bowing to Chaewon. “Hello! My name is Yiren! I’m a junior of yours, Chaewon-sunbae! From the Architecture Department!” She introduced herself brightly and the brunette blinked, nodding before offering her a small smile.

 

“Oh, hello there. Are you a friend of Yena’s… or?” Chaewon then threw a curious question, her eyes turning to Yena with a menacing look and the bassist got that look which made her groan, shaking her head to deny it. They’re definitely not what Chaewon is currently thinking of.

 

Yiren bashfully shook her head. “Ahh, no! We just met earlier! We were seatmates and kind of approached her.” She explained with a smile.

 

Chaewon nodded, still not yet convinced and it made Yena roll her eyes. “Oh, that’s great.” She exclaimed, too weak for Yena’s liking and the latter finally took it as a cue to leave. She has to clear her name to Chaewon again, geez.

 

“Well, anyway, we need to go now Yiren-ssi. I’m really grateful that you entertained me and accompanied me.” Yena turned to Yiren, offering her a sweet smile and bowed a bit. Yiren just shook her head, chuckling a bit.

 

“It’s nothing! Thank you too, Yena-ssi! You’re very funny.” The younger woman responded, smiling back. “Ah! And before you guys go, can I get your KKT or number?” She then asked, pink dust started to form in her delicate glassy cheeks.

 

Chaewon’s brows shot up but never said anything. Yena nodded, the smile on her lips never left as she muttered, ‘sure’.

 

After Yena gave her number to the beautiful second-year foreign student—they officially parted ways with her and walked towards the parking lot where Yena parked her car. Yiren kept waving at them with a big smile as they walked away.

 

Chaewon and Yena silently walked towards the parking lot until the latter decided to break it because she felt heavy. “She’s friendly, no? Beautiful too.” She asked innocently.

 

The vocalist gave her a sharp look and the older one was taken aback. “W-What? I did nothing wrong!” She answered, defending herself.

 

Rolling her eyes, Chaewon just snickered. “Oh sure…” She said mockingly. “I know you, Choi. Don’t even think about it. She’s too pure and innocent.” Added by her, implying something which made Yena’s jaw drop at the sudden accusation of her, being a playgirl again.

 

“Hey! I don’t have any ill intentions at all! I found her beautiful and all, yes. But I don’t have any plans on hitting on her. I just want to befriend her. Besides, she was the one who approached me first.” Yena explained hastily, not wanting for Chaewon to think wrongly of her again.

 

The brunette chuckled darkly, without humor and gave her a glance. “Uh huh, yeah...” She responded boredly and finally spotted Yena’s familiar yellow Maserati Ghibli. The way she said that brought the older woman to take a sharp exhale. It was full of disbelief and dripping in sarcasm.

 

The bassist opened the back seat door, gently dumping the gifts there and grabbed another batch from Chaewon and placed it there, closing it after, then faced the vocalist who’s giving her a pointed look.

 

No, they won’t enter the car unless Yena finally explains her part. She felt wronged once again, Chaewon is definitely thinking ill of her once again and she doesn’t want that. She needs to clear herself first to Chaewon before they leave.

 

“How many times do you want for me to tell you that I’m not that ‘notorious heartbreaker’ Choi Yena anymore? I have already gotten over that phase already, Chaewon.” Yena started off and Chaewon was surprised that she confronted her because of this and averted her gaze, crossing her arms.

 

You heard that right. Yena has gotten over that phase already. When Chaewon became their band’s official vocalist, she already changed. She didn’t attempt to go out with other girls anymore for one thing: pleasure. Heck, she didn’t even flirt with those persistent fangirls anymore because she can always feel Chaewon’s gaze from behind when she talks with them.

 

Yuri’s death also played a huge part in it. After her death, she found everything so meaningless anymore and would rather just sleep around her house. She’s going to admit but she went out for some few dates—but this time, she’s trying to find the one who she will have a serious relationship with but they’re all just there for Yena because of ual attraction and nothing else so she immediately cut ties with them.

 

“I never said anything?” Chaewon countered, trying to be clever and avoid this talk but Yena knew that Chaewon was really implying something about her playgirl behavior earlier.

 

Yena tilted her head, trying to look more serious. “No, you did not. But you’re implying something, Chaewon. Sheesh, you’re making me feel like I’m a huge sinner. You didn’t believe me when I said I have no intentions towards Yiren.” She muttered, shaking her head in disappointment before turning her back, finally unlocking the car doors and went in—not even waiting for Chaewon’s response.

 

She doesn’t know why, but she’s so upset that Chaewon still thinks of her as a playgirl. The vocalist is always around in gigs though, but did she see Yena entertaining women with malice? No. Yena would just speak to them as an innocent fanservice, that’s all. She’s always present at their table without a woman latching onto her.

 

Does Chaewon really just see her as a girl who likes making out with women for fun and short term pleasure because of what she witnessed years ago? Upsetting.

 

It’s even more disappointing to think that she mainly changed because of Chaewon. The brunette made her conscious about her reckless behavior and made her become more serious and cautious, yet she still can’t see the drastic changes? Geez, it really offended Yena into the fullest.

 

They weren’t close, yes—but she and Chaewon still spend time together so Yena has the right to be sad over this.

 

Chaewon silently hopped into the car and the moment the vocalist wore her seatbelt, Yena quickly maneuvered the car out of the parking space and when they entered the highway—she drove fast, pouring her annoyance by driving a little bit… reckless.

 

She’s guilty because she could hear Chaewon’s yelp when they zoomed in through the road, swiftly turning left and right to avoid other cars while still driving very fast but she’s just annoyed—she will never harm Chaewon even if she’s in this kind of state, she won’t also risk it if there’s a traffic however, she knows that it won’t be that cramped today.

 

“S-Slow down… You’re trying to get me killed…” Chaewon hissed beside her, grasping onto her seatbelt like her life is on the line.

 

Yena snarled. “I used to race before, don’t worry much—I just want to go to practice, fast.” She responded plainly, eyes focused on the road.

 

Chaewon never replied after that. Yena just focused on driving at a very fast speed.

 

She only descended her speed when she heard Chaewon’s heavy breathing, taking pity on the brunette and guilt eating her up for making the vocalist feel a little bit terrified. She won’t be surprised if one day, Chaewon will refuse to ride with her ever again.

 

Just the thought of it made her stomach churn badly already. A black ink started to spread through her chest.

 

They arrived at Minjoo’s house in no time, Yena carefully parked beside the drummer’s Mustang and just stared outside, mum. She wanted to apologize to Chaewon for being a little bit too rude and scaring her like that because of some petty reason but she’s too embarrassed to speak.

 

“I-I’m sorry.”

 

Yena froze when she heard Chaewon’s soft whisper. She gulped and refused to look at her—she thought that’s just it, no explanation, no further elaboration but Chaewon spoke again ever so gently that made the bassist’s heart jump.

 

“I’m really sorry for upsetting you like that. Honestly, I really thought you’re still someone who plays people’s feelings, someone who isn’t serious. I refused to accept the truth that you became mature and stopped doing those things because of my view of you years ago.” Chaewon muttered, a little bit embarrassed as she said that.

 

Finally, Yena turned to her, looking at her. Chaewon also tilted her head to meet her eyes, they stared at each other for a while before the brunette added something. “I apologize again… it also didn’t help that you look like you’re really flirting whenever you’re being friendly with people.” She whispered lowly and looked away, unbuckling her seatbelt and finally went out

 

Yena’s brows formed into a deep furrow when she heard the last part. She just shook her head and smiled a bit before turning off the engine of her car and also unbuckled her seatbelt, hopping out of the car.

 

Chaewon just stood there at the side, eyeing her.

 

“I’m really sorry too, for scaring you like that… I was just upset. I just don’t like it if someone judges me and accuses me false like that.” Yena finally managed to get her voice back. Especially when it’s you, it feels like I sinned so badly and that I deserve getting thrown in the depths of burning hell and it always feels like you hate me to death whenever you open your mouth.

 

Chaewon nodded understandingly but never gave a verbal response, just looking at the back seat and Yena immediately caught what she had meant and cleared . “I-I’ll take you home after the practice. It’ll be too much work if you take it to the practice room and go home holding those.” She explained hastily and turned her back, walking towards the house while the vocalist just followed her behind—she just took the silence as ‘yes’.

 

//

 

They became closer after that little bickering with one another.

 

When before, they were too awkward and could only just converse shortly—now, they’re too comfortable with one another.

 

Everything just took a whole turn for the both of them after that one afternoon of getting upset with each other. They become more open to each other and even playfully fight through texts now.

 

Yena is always looking forward whenever they meet because she found a new hobby: teasing Chaewon until she erupts like a volcano. It’s very entertaining and funny to see, very amusing.

 

The others noticed the sudden closeness of them though but no one bat an eye, thinking of it as a good thing because their practice became even more lively because of Chaewon’s sudden loudness whenever she’s playing with the bassist.

 

At first, they were surprised that the usual calm and collected quiet Kim Chaewon has actually a loudness and funny bone in her. Yena literally brought out that side of her.

 

However, the others would like to think that Yena just really affected Chaewon in many ways though—be it good or bad. Because ever since, the vocalist became mischievous little by little but she knows when to be or not. Poor Kim Chaewon really caught the Yena-virus, a virus that Yuri and Hyewon also caught before.

 

The said virus can make you scarily noisy and playful. Even the reserved Kang Hyewon started to pull pranks just a few months of hanging out with the ever so called captain of mischief, Choi Yena when they were still in highschool.

 

They also noticed some of Yena’s habits and traits rubbing off to Chaewon because of spending a lot of time with the bassist, and vice versa. For example, Yena has a habit of pouting or puckering her lips at random times, especially when she’s thinking—now, Chaewon got that habit too. While for Yena, she got Chaewon’s habit of fixing her fringes and bangs constantly.

 

And many more.

 

Not like it’s bad—it’s just an observation. Even Yena and Chaewon themselves were surprised at the drastic change of their awkward friendship turned into a close and fun one.


 

“Yah, Choi Yena.” Chaewon called from behind but Yena’s eyes still remained glued to the screen of her laptop, looking serious and focused at doing her design project.

 

When the bassist didn’t respond or even look at her, the vocalist just pouted and went closer, snaking her arms around Yena’s neck and shoulders from behind as she rested her chin on top of the older woman’s head.

 

“I’m doing an important project, Chaewon. It’s due later at night.” Yena said, still focused on her art. The brunette just pouted even more, sulking but she just clung onto Yena.

 

The bassist could perfectly smell the scent of baby powder and faint mint. Her tense shoulders relaxed after Chaewon’s scent got into her nose. It’s just very pleasing to smell at.

 

They are also comfortable with skinships now. Chaewon is actually a clingy baby, Yena noticed—at first, she was surprised and a little bit wary because it’s so unlike her but soon after, she got used to it—the others got used to the clingy side she rarely shows. Yena concluded that Chaewon is a clingy type towards the people she’s very close with so she’s just glad.

 

And oh, Chaewon also acts like a hard-headed and stubborn spoiled child sometimes—especially when she’s on her period.

 

“But I’m bored, play with me, Yena~” Chaewon sang, tightening her hold.

 

Yena shook her head. “Come on, Chae, I’m doing something. Play with Hyewon instead.” She muttered, taking a glance at Hyewon who’s just strumming her guitar peacefully at the corner while watching them with an amused smirk.

 

Chaewon huffed at that. “No, I want you.” She muttered like a child, tightening her hold even more. Yena’s heart flipped when she heard that, and blushed but she kept mum.

 

Soon after though, the warmth enveloping her went away and Yena almost hissed at the loss of contact. Chaewon retreated silently and just bothered Hyewon instead and the bassist was annoyed because the brunette already went away—but isn’t this what she wanted? Not to be bothered? Sheesh, she’s also getting confused with herself too.

 

Clicking her tongue, she could see Chaewon and Hyewon talking with each other in her peripheral vision. Then a loud series of laughter. Yena’s brow shot up, curious of what they’re talking about. What is so funny about their topic?

 

Yena just shook her head and tried her best to ignore Chaewon and Hyewon’s cackles, ignoring the green sensation spreading through her whole being.

 

//

 

After visiting Yuri’s grave because that very day was her second death anniversary and offering flowers—the band members went home with a little bit gloomy aura, but comparing it from last year, they all handled their emotions very well—no one teared up, even Chaewon who just silently looked at her cousin’s gravestone.

 

Currently, Yena is driving while Chaewon is just there at the passenger seat, staring outside the window. They’re on their way to Chaewon’s school, going to drop her off there because she has a meeting with some theater club members.

 

However, the brunette’s phone rang midway and Yena just focused on driving.

 

“Oh? What happened…? Ah, okay—it’s alright, I’m not yet there anyway. Okay, thank you for informing me.” Chaewon talked with the person on the other line and dropped the call after, putting her phone inside her sling bag once again before turning to Yena.

 

“Our practice is cancelled because of some emergency.” The vocalist announced and Yena hummed, halting the car when she saw that it’s red light.

 

The bassist turned to her friend, hands still gripping the wheel. “Where should we go now?” She asked calmly.

 

For a few seconds, Chaewon did not answer, just humming as she tried to think of something while rubbing her chin. “Well, do you have something else to do for today?” Chaewon turned to the older woman.

 

Yena shook her head. “Nope. Not at all.” It’s true, she finished all of her works yesterday.

 

“Well, I’m thinking of watching a movie or something.” Chaewon then muttered and Yena’s ears perked at that, nodding then finally continued driving when the light turned green.

 

“There is a cinema nearby, want to go there?” Yena suggested cooly.

 

The vocalist shook her head, puckering her lips as she leaned to the backrest. “But I want to watch a particular movie though—I’m sure it’s not available in cinemas.” She replied, looking troubled. “I’m also craving for some ramen.”

 

Yena playfully scoffed at that, glancing at Chaewon with a teasing look before turning her gaze towards the road once again. “It seems like you’re in big trouble,” She laughed. “Want to come over to my house? I live alone in that cold spacy home—I have Netflix and I certainly have ramen.” She offered smoothly.

 

Chaewon turned to her, tilting her head and her eyes sparkling—she’s tempted to accept the offer. “That sounds wonderful,” She responded softly. “Is it really okay though? I can’t offer my place because I have roommates.”

 

Nodding, Yena responded, “Yeah, it’s more than okay. I’m living there alone after my parents decided to stay for good in China while my brother is currently in Italy for his work. You guys can always come over.”

 

“Sounds lonely,” Chaewon murmured, that made Yena smile a bit. “And okay, I accept your offer then. Hopefully, you have a good ramen recipe.” Added by her, and the both of them chuckled.

 

“Yeah, I do have my own recipe—hopefully, you’ll like it.” The bassist responded, her lower lip as she ascended her speed. “And… yeah, sometimes, I get lonely there but I usually invite some friends and classmates over.”

 

Chaewon quirked her brow at the last part, eyeing Yena with a scandalous look which made the latter confused. “Uhh… I hope you and your friends do decent stuff there?” She asked.

 

Yena almost choked when she finally understood what Chaewon was saying and gave her a glare. “We do our homeworks and project there, Chaewon. Nothing dirty, nothing scandalous—god, I already told you before…” She clarified, not wanting to look bad again.

 

The vocalist laughed at that, shaking her head in amusement. “You never bring your girlfriends home?” She then asked, still chuckling—but darkly.

 

Uncomfortably shifting into her seat, Yena gave her friend a troubled look. “What?” She breathlessly replied. Chaewon just shrugged, still eyeing her suspiciously. The bassist just awkwardly shook her head. “...No? I don’t have any girlfriends?” She replied nervously.

 

“I mean, you never really brought those girls to your home? Even way before, you know—to do the deed.” Chaewon curiously asked, playing with her lower lip as she gazed at the sweating Yena.

 

It’s just a simple and innocent question. It’s easy to answer especially if she knows—if Chaeyeon asked her about these kinds of things then she probably answered without hesitation already even joking around with her but… it’s Chaewon who’s asking. Even until now, she will never get comfortable talking stuff like these with the vocalist. It just feels off… It makes her nervous.

 

“Why are you asking anyway?” Yena murmured, grunting in embarrassment. “But no, I did not. Not even once. I usually take them to a nearby hotel, motel, or whatever—sometimes at a dark place, bathroom—but not my house. There, did I finally feed your curiosity?”

 

Chaewon was surprised when she heard that, grimacing. “Geez, Choi Yena. That’s so extreme. I didn’t know you were that disgusting. But what did I expect, I saw you guys in the bathroom. Didn’t even bother to lock or check if there were people inside.” She responded with a wholehearted laugh.

 

Pouting, Yena just let her friend relentlessly but she’s so uncomfortable. She’s actually open in this kind of topic, but not to Chaewon… just not to Kim Chaewon.

 

“Why are we talking about this, anyway? It’s all in the past—I’m not interested in flings or girlfriends anymore.” The bassist sulked, finally entering their subdivision—the guard immediately opened up the gate when he saw a familiar flashy yellow car.

 

Faking a gasp, Chaewon looked very surprised at what she said—not really, just neutral but she just put an exaggerated expression to make everything more dramatic. “Oh? What keeps you satiated then?” She slyly asked, giving her a dark look.

 

Yena flinched at the question, the tips of her ears went bright red immediately. “Shut up.” She could only mutter that made the brunette cackle until she’s in tears.

 

“Wow, Choi. You always talk stuff like this to Chaeyeon but suddenly, can’t even talk about this with me? Oh, I can play along too, you know.” Chaewon teased, grinning brightly at her friend who’s beet red and gritting her teeth out of embarrassment and annoyance.

 

Yena didn’t say anything anymore after that because she finally spotted her house and parked her car near the gate instead of entering the garage since she might take Chaewon home later.

 

“The only thing I can say is—I don’t need a partner to satiate myself fully, Kim. You’re making me look like I’m always thirsty for some , geez—I can live without doing it with people for years.” Yena responded as she turned off the engine of the car and unbuckled her seatbelt.

 

Now, it’s Chaewon’s turn to blush madly. Yena went out with a smirk playing on her lips, walking to the gate and opened it while the brunette just trailed behind her.

 

“You’re really got yourself some vulgar mouth, eh?” Chaewon snickered, watching Yena open the door with her keys and gestured for the brunette to come in—her smirk still intact.

 

When Chaewon passed through her and started to get off her shoes, Yena shrugged and closed the door—responding to her remark. “Yeah, I definitely do.” She said with a slow and mischievous tone which made the brunette snap back to her and pinched her side, thinking Yena responded with an innuendo.

 

“Ow! What the hell!” Yena exclaimed, obviously in pain as she held her side. Chaewon just flipped her hair, entering the living room and looked around.

 

The bassist grumbled under her breath as she also went to their living room, getting the remote to open the TV. “Geez. She said she can play along but gets flustered whenever I’m being direct—just what this woman wants me to do?” She whispered to herself and Chaewon heard the mumbles.

 

“I heard that, Choi.” The brunette warned.

 

Yena made some faces and turned to her, handing her the remote before taking off her jacket, draping it on the backrest of the sofa and she was left with her black fitted tank top. “You can watch whatever you want while I cook some ramen for us,” She said as she tied her now magenta hair into a messy bun, brushing her bangs at the side—unaware that Chaewon is blushing again for some unknown reason.

 

“O-Okay,” Chaewon stammered, looking away as she cleared .

 

Yena took a glance at her and gave her a small smile. “Make yourself feel at home. You can go to the kitchen if you need something.” She said and walked into the kitchen to make ramen.

 

She’s extra determined to cook her ramen more deliciously this time. She can’t afford to disappoint Chaewon!

 

And after gathering all the stuff she needed, she got into business.

 

In the middle of preparing, she was so focused and serious with what she was doing that she didn’t even notice another presence approaching her from behind, looking at her curiously and amusedly.

 

“Woah, you’re such a wife material, Choi.”

 

Yena almost chopped her fingers instead of the cabbage. She turned to Chaewon, surprised. “W-Why are you here?” She mumbled, then turned to her cabbage again—continuing chopping it as she heard a chair getting dragged a bit.

 

The brunette sat on the high chair, resting her elbow on the counter top while she placed her chin on top of her palm as she watched Yena chop the vegetables and cook the food with a sharp gaze, intently eyeing her every move. “I got bored, no channel interests me so yeah, I just decided to watch you cook. I’m still surprised by the fact you can cook, you don’t look like one.” She said, giggling to herself.

 

“I live alone so I need to learn…” Yena responded, still focused doing her thing—trying her best not to falter because of Chaewon’s intense gaze on her back.

 

The vocalist hummed in understanding. “So, I assume you also clean your house alone?” She asked curiously.

 

Nodding, Yena added the noodles to the boiling water. “Yeah, I usually do it. Sometimes, I hire some cleaner but most of the time—I clean. I do every chore in this household.” She responded honestly.

 

Chaewon chuckled, tilting her head a bit. “You’re really a diligent child,” She commented gently, and Yena glanced at her, blinking at her before continuing to prepare the ramen. “I’m sure your future partner will be lucky to have you—well, that is if you finally find the right one.”

 

The bassist choked at that, looking at Chaewon like she just said something unbelievable while the brunette just smiled at her sweetly. “What?” She huffed, amused. “I mean, you’re a good person. You take care of people very well, Yena. I’m sure you’ll do good as a partner…” Added by her then chuckled.

 

Yena was speechless, just shaking her head as she continued to cook. Now, what Chaewon had said made her think a lot—she never really got into a serious relationship before—heck, the girl she dated the longest… uhh, they only lasted for two months.

 

In her twenty one years of living on Earth, Yena suddenly felt lonely. She realized she had never really fallen in love yet—all of those girls, she just felt attraction with them, nothing serious at all.

 

Thinking of living with the partner you’re very in love with… Cooking for them, cuddling with them, watching movies with them… Yena suddenly craved for it but she doesn’t want to find someone. For some reason, she’s complete yet incomplete already.

 

“Hmm, that smells and looks awesome already, Choi!” Chaewon exclaimed happily, looking excited as she tried to take a peek to the ramen the bassist is cooking—mouth agape in amazement, eyes wide and sparkling.

 

Yena silently stared at Chaewon—the corner of her lips tugged upwards, forming a small smile as she watched the brunette grin while admiring the ramen, almost drooling as she continued to compliment it sincerely.

 

Her heart warmed at the sight, she could feel a fluttery feeling inside her chest.

 

Suddenly, she doesn’t feel so lonely anymore.

 

And thoughts suddenly filled her mind again.

 

Will her future girlfriend watch her cook like Chaewon did this day? Will her future girlfriend compliment her cooking skills like Chaewon did? Will her future girlfriend gaze at the ramen she made for her like how Chaewon stared at it with sparkly excited eyes?

 

For some reason, she doesn’t want another girl to do what Chaewon does to her. She just wants Chaewon to watch her cook, compliment her skills, and gaze at her ramen with her sparkly honey orbs. Only her.

 

Yena froze when she realized what she was thinking, getting pale and immediately averted her gaze from Chaewon as she tried to collect herself up. She’s flustered because of those thoughts…

 

“Y-Yeah, thanks. It’ll be up soon.” Yena responded after a few moments, stirring the ramen while Chaewon just beamed, giving her a thumbs up and sweet smile—looking like an excited child and ran back to her seat.

 

The bass player let out a breathless chuckle as she shook her head in amusement.

 

Now, she should really stop imagining things—and by ‘things’, stop imagining Chaewon as her girlfriend.

 

Finally, after a few minutes of waiting and preparing, the ramen was finished and presented it to Chaewon who squealed when she saw the bowl of goodness. She took pictures of it because it looks so good and very aesthetic. Yena just shrugged and prepared their drinks.

 

“Thank you for the food.” Chaewon murmured, getting her chopsticks and started to dig in while Yena didn’t eat yet, watching the brunette’s reaction anxiously.

 

First bite, and the vocalist stopped, just chewing it while wearing a blank expression which made Yena nervous. “I-Is it good?” She asked quietly and Chaewon turned to her, giving her a blank look but soon, after swallowing it—she broke into a grin and gave Yena a solid thumbs up.

 

“Holy , I love this so much, you duck!” Chaewon exclaimed, doing gestures out of delight and squealed, taking another round of bite and moaned in delight, eyes shut close to feel the taste even more.

 

Blinking, Yena just laughed—relieved and finally ate hers too.

 

Their early dinner went lovely. They conversed while they ate the ramen, talking and laughing over random things.

 

After eating, Chaewon insisted on washing the dirty dishes but Yena doesn’t want for a visitor to do that. “You already cooked, let me wash these!” The brunette yelled, grabbing the bowl and utensils but Yena refused to let go.

 

“No, you’re a visitor.” The bassist reasoned out which Chaewon found stupid and growled at the older woman.

 

“Yena, I’ll wash the dishes or I will ignore you for a month.” Chaewon threatened and that made Yena freeze, throwing her a pointed look.

 

The bassist huffed. “Nah, you can’t do that.” She said but Chaewon looked determined though, her eyes are flaming in determination which made Yena’s grip loosen out of fear.

 

“I can, watch me, Choi.” The brunette coldly warned and finally, Yena surrendered, raising her arms like she was defeated and just sighed—watching the chirpy Chaewon go to the sink and started to wash the dishes.

 

Yena decided to fix their couch, trying to make it more comfortable by getting some pillows and thick blankets, also getting some chips and biscuits they could eat while watching—she also prepared some cans of sodas and of course, their favorite chocolates—they can’t go with their day without consuming chocolates.

 

Chaewon managed to finish quickly and marveled at the sight of the cozy living room and giggled, immediately plopping herself on the couch beside Yena who’s already browsing through the list.

 

“What do you want to watch anyway?” The bassist asked Chaewon.

 

With that, the vocalist beamed lightly, turning to Yena with a small smile on her lips. “The Kissing Booth, please!” She replied, excited.

 

Yena froze at mention of that… well, uhh, not-so-horrible movie? Definitely not her taste though…

 

“Y-You watch that?” The bassist quietly asked, couldn’t believe that Chaewon right here—has a bad taste in movies.

 

The younger woman looked upset when she said that, squinting at her. “Why? Got a problem? It’s my favorite.” She answered with a huff. Yena just snickered and put the movie Chaewon wanted to watch without complaining much.

 

In the middle of watching the movie, Yena got bored—too hetero for her taste and she couldn’t help but to grimace every time while Chaewon kept smiling throughout—giggling to herself.

 

She’s just eating some popcorn she made and ate some chocolates, instead of watching the movie, she just made fake scenarios in her mind—her thoughts entertained her more than the movie did.

 

Chaewon would slap her arm each time she caught her zoning out instead of ‘appreciating’ the movie. Yena would sneer like… no, thank you.

 

After the movie ended, Yena clapped her hands, looking relieved and happy—Chaewon smacked her for that, nagging her about not watching the movie, and kept blabbering about how hot the lead man is and that he’s her ideal type. Yena just scrunched her face.

 

“You’re such a hetero, Chaewon.” The bassist muttered then added sneakily, “And, you have a really bad taste in men—ouch!”

 

Chaewon glared at her after pinching her thigh so she pursed her lips and just looked away.

 

They binge watched the Kissing Booth movies and Yena wanted to sleep instead of watching that movie, she wanted to puke so bad but Chaewon does look like she’s enjoying it so much so she’ll let it pass and bear with it until the next few hours.

 

In the middle of watching, they suddenly talked about their love lives—again, much to Yena’s annoyance.

 

“Why is it always me? You already know! I never really had a real, real girlfriend. I tried but it didn’t work out, okay?” Yena hissed when Chaewon asked her about her lovelife for the nth time. “Now, how about you, Kim Chaewon-ssi? Do you have a boyfriend or girlfriend?” She threw the topic to Chaewon with a smirk.

 

The brunette shrugged, taking a bite from her chocolate bar as her eyes are glued to the TV in front of them. “Well, I only had one boyfriend when I was in highschool. That’s just it. We lasted for six months.” She answered and Yena was shocked a bit.

 

“Didn’t know about that… tell me more about your withered love story.” The older woman lazily said, munching on her popcorn slowly.

 

Chaewon became tense a bit and heaved a sigh. “Well, it’s not really that good. He cheated on me and I immediately broke up with him after that.” She responded.

 

Yena halted on eating her popcorn, looking at Chaewon with furrowed brows—she saw that the event traumatized her friend. She couldn’t help but to get annoyed. Of course, cheaters are one of the worst. Just imagining Chaewon’s hurt expression and eyes welled up with tears because of a guy made her blood boil already.

 

“I guess it really scarred and traumatized me… That’s why I never attempted involving myself with people in a romantic way again after that. Plus, I’m too busy with the band… the plays…” Chaewon added quietly, and let out a sigh again before shaking her head. “But oh well, it’s in the past already. Relationship is at the bottom of my priority list.”

 

Yena became mum, just looking at Chaewon softly. Suddenly, moved—throwing her a question. “But so far, did someone catch your attention again?”

 

The vocalist tilted her head a bit, meeting gazes with Yena under the dim lights. They just stared at each other for a moment before Chaewon herself broke it, looking away and took a bite from her chocolate again.

 

“I’ll be lying if I answer, ‘no’...” The younger woman murmured, hugging her knees as her solemn eyes were glued to the television.

 

Yena froze at the answer, feeling that familiar black ink spreading through her chest—she suddenly couldn’t breathe. She shrugged those painful aches in her heart, thinking of it as nothing and cleared . “Oh?” She could only utter.

 

Chaewon just smiled, shaking her head. “But nothing really important. I will never confess to them… The both of us are better as friends… I don’t want to ruin our friendship either… I’m sure it’s just a small attraction.” She clarified with a giggle.

 

That didn’t ease the sting in Yena’s heart.

 

“I see.” The older woman responded quietly and turned to the television again, but her mind was running.

 

The heavy atmosphere between them lasted until the movie was finished—for the next movie, Chaewon said that Yena should pick this time and the latter gladly picked Ghibli movies. Thankfully, Chaewon likes them too and the both of them peacefully binge-watched.

 

They didn’t even notice the time, they lost count of the movie they watched—they’re also mostly talking throughout the marathon though. But when Chaewon suddenly won’t respond to her calls anymore, she checked the clock and her eyes widened when it’s already almost midnight!

 

They were too engrossed watching that Chaewon even forgot to go home.

 

She doesn’t want to wake Chaewon up though, she looked cute sleeping while hugging a big pillow and wrapped with thick blankets. She looked so peaceful and comfortable, she doesn’t have the heart to wake this angel up. So, Yena decided to let her be.

 

The bassist snapped some few photos of Chaewon, for blackmail purposes—of course, but she didn’t even realize that she made it as her wallpaper, insisting to herself that she will tease Chaewon about it tomorrow.

 

She then decided to finish the movie since she’s not yet that sleepy. She watched there silently while taking a glance at Chaewon from time to time—there were times too that she would just freeze and stare at the sleeping girl, dazingly watch her and listen to her calm breathings.

 

But then, when she was focused on watching the movie—she suddenly felt a weight on her shoulders which made her freeze, looking at it slowly and was greeted by Chaewon’s head. It looks like the girl found her shoulders while still in deep slumber.

 

Once again, Yena’s heart warmed. She fixed her position so Chaewon could lean and sleep on her comfortably, cradling her head while smiling—she also fixed the blanket over her shoulders, not wanting for the girl to feel cold.

 

Her arm found her way on Chaewon’s shoulders too, draping it there and tried to pull her closer gently, not wanting to wake her up. Definitely, Chaewon is warm—and Yena feels warm because of her…

 

Instead of watching the movie, her eyes remained glued to Chaewon, her eyes tracing her friend’s features and couldn’t help but to giggle every time.

 

Chaewon is surely beautiful… she’s flawless, too perfect. From top to bottom of her existence.

 

“Heh, you’re really, really pretty… you know that?” Yena whispered, unconsciously complimenting her but Chaewon did not stir which made the older chuckle a bit, taking a deep breath.

 

“Good night, Kim Chaewon… Dream of me…”

 

Something blooms.

 

//